Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Proper etiquette on when it's your turn?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Proper etiquette on when it's your turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper etiquette on when it's your turn?

What do you guys think is the proper etiquette on when it's your turn to fly?

I try to get in at least 3 flights myself (40 size trainer)and maybe 1 or 2 for my boy(Firebird Commander) when we go to the field. We usually get there between 8-9 and leave about 12. Thier are usually about 6 guys there when ever i'm there flying. We usually have helis, jets, large gassers and a few glow(that's me). We seem to all wait and fly at different times because of the large differences in the types of planes. I usually try to watch and see if anyone if prepping to fly and i will wait til they come down. Alot of times it just looks as if everyone is sitting around BSing. It seems i fly more time than anyone else. Am i hogging the runway? I'm still a newbie with my trainer or small electric Firebird and hope someone would say if i'm flying too much or if they want to go up next, but it's just so much fun i want to keep going back up.

Is there some unspoken rule i should know?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM
BillyGoat

Default RE: Proper etiquette on when it's your turn?

Every flying field is different, so it’s hard to tell what etiquette members at your field have adopted. Your best bet is to ask around at the field. By simply asking “It seems I fly more time than anyone else. Am I hogging the runway?â€

At most fields, BS’ing far out weighs the flying and I don’t think anybody is standing back waiting for you to vacate so they can fly.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Mike in DC

You're probably worrying too much. For most types of aircraft, at most fields, I would say that a .40-sized sport plane can NEVER be hogging the runway, because there's plenty of sky for more than one plane. Most fields have a limit of 4 to 6 planes in the sky at one time.

Turbine jets and helicopters are a totally different story. I recommend yielding the entire sky to either of these. Helicopters and fixed-wing don't mix, so most fields have some understanding or rules on how they share the field.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Billy Goat on this one.

Ask, and don't be surprised if they say, "Have at it"
Old 09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Live Wire

Have at it means take your chances[:@] Better safe than sorry COULD COST YOU A PLANE
Have at it does not alway's work[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Live Wire

Then it get interesting who gets the blame if some thing happens and some one goes down
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
weathervane

It does not sound like you are hoging the runway at all. Sounds to me like you are out having a good time.

We have 4 flight boxes at our field. Usualy I try for an 8-10min flight. I will normaly relax and bs for 10-20min in between flights. If no one is in need of the chanel pin that I'm useing then I will go back up for another 8-10. If another club member is on the same chanel than we take turns. I think that you can usualy tell when someone is wanting to go up.

-Andrew
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too would be willing to bet they don't mind. Usually the higher time guys like to let the newbies fly and get time and they enjoy chatting and just being there. Keep it up, have a ball!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Talk to the other guys. Why wonder with so few people there when you can just talk to them. My bet is they will say "just go fly". If the turbine intimidates you it is easy enough to hear it start up so you can land or wait till it takes off and get ready to go. Turbines usually fly for about 6 minutes so you can time it to go out as he comes in. Stop worrying and just fly, fly, fly.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Am I hanging from the prop to long in front of your face in the middle of the runway so that you all have to sit here their and wait until I'm finished?"
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

When I go to the field I go to fly. I like to BS with the other guys too but I really go to fly. I'm usually there for about 4 hours when I go & I try to get 6 or 7 flights in. At our field it is unusual to see more then 3 planes in the air at any given time. There are 4 flight stations & most people have 40-60 sized planes. I myself fly 35%ers but unless someone is flying crazy, I don't mind flying with the little guys. Even the helichoppers don't bother me as long as the get away from the runway when I need to lift off or set down.

Enjoy yourself. I'm sure if you are hogging the runway, someone will tell you.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

At our field we have 5 pilot stations but I've only seen 5 up 1 or 2 times this year..
Most of the time it's 2-3..
There are 5 stations for a reason, go fly if you feel comfortable with the folks that are already up.

I don't think you are hogging the runway.. About the only time I get upset is people hogging the frequency pin or not clearing the runway for a dead stick.
Sitting in the middle of the runway trying to re-start your motor while people are waiting to take off isn't cool either.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM
skeeter_ca

I know it's a given rule that the helis, jets, 3D's and glows fly with only like kind. It's too much of a problem if some guy is hovering on the runway and a sport plane is flying above. We keep that separated pretty good with no problems. That's fine with me. We have about 15 flight stands and i have flown with other like craft with no problems. It's never really crowded so going up alone is the norm. I didn't think it was a problem but i will surely ask around.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

skeeter, you being worried about it is a good indication your not a problem. The guys that are a problem only care about themselves.

David
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
ClemenTang

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

...the helis, jets, 3D's and glows fly with only like kind...
who's the hog again? Just go by common sense and don't get bothered. Shouldn't blame anyone for an "unspoken rule" if for real they should have it written instead of bossing around with their new little rules now and then.

Clement
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

At our field it works out. If your up and a jet guy wants to fly he will bring his plane the the pad and leave it until your down. You know he wants to fly because it's sitting there. On the flip side if he's flying and you place your plane on the pad and wait he knows you want to fly next. We try and not mix planes of difference performance at the same time. We always let the new guy have all the air time he needs. It's fun to watch them fly and learn. Dennis
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Fly on !! you can always ask them if they want to go up, before you do.

We have no problems at all with that, I think it is a built in courtesy, We all fly together, we all fly solo,, no matter what type of bird it is, some of the newbies seem to get a little nervous about it, but we will always let someone new to the field have their days in the sun, we always let them fly solo so they feel comfortable, But we also tell them to join us when we are all up there if they feel like it. they usually end up loving the thrill of it and are more then willing, if its a special or new bird we always give the sky to the new plane or chopper,, I think more for the reason of just wanting to watch it ourselves.

we have been known to have 5 or 6 planes of different types and a heli all flying at once, yes we have had some mis haps, but we all know the risk in doing so, its not always like that though, for most of the day, its a lot of solo or paired flying and then BSing is throughout the whole day, and the first flight from anyone during the day is usually a let him fly at least once with the sky to him or herself before the real activity begins, that way we all get a nice feel for the planes and the atmosphere without having to watch out for other air debrie, once everyone has had their turn in the sky then its just start it up and go, we favor that method, sometimes we even take a few birds off first thing cause were all so impatient.. LOL

I am very lucky, we have a club of about 15, and about 7 of us are pretty regular every week and they are just the greatest bunch of people ever,, we all have a great time everyweek, whether we smash into each other or not, its always an awesome time.

Gotta love this hobby.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM
ClemenTang

well if there's only such a rule then anyone who thinks he owns the sky should give priority to others and not take it granted. If he can't watch his way and dodge others he really should think again. Never seen real hogging like that maybe it's just HK. Can't imagine someone asking everybody else to land so that he could fly. That said, the landing exception goes without saying anything hovering above runway shoots, that's all one is entitled to. Reminds me of another etiquette thread regarding 2.4G video equipment the guy worries about interference and wants a clear sky to himself.

Clement