Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What's with these new pop ups???

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What's with these new pop ups???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's with these new pop ups???

Has anyone else noticed that if you let your cursor drift to a photo, we now are hit with a new pop-up from RCU for snap shots? I wish I knew how to turn it off.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: What's with these new pop ups???

Use you arrow keys to scroll the page up and down the page.
The first thing I do when a page loads is scroll those ads off the screen
Old 12-17-2007, 08:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

These pop-ups are something that RCU has just installed. They have been used on RCU's sister site Wattflyer.com for quite some time and have been well liked and accepted there. But we do understand that some members to not like them. The option has been installed for members to individually turn them off on their computers. To turn these off simply mouse over a banner (or any link that is external to RCU) and when the pop-up appears click on the options button. This is located in the upper right hand corner of the pop-up window and resembles a small gear. Then simply click "disable" to turn them off.

Ken
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for te heads up, I will definately turn them off. Very annoying.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't seem to get them to turn off. Did as instructed but no luck. If they don't go away I might.[:@]
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just tried myself and they wouldn't turn off either. I'll send this straight to Marc to troubleshoot it.

Ken
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Stickbuilder

I was able to turn them off once, but they are back, and now I can't get them to turn off.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACPO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
chashint

I was just about to start a thread on this topic when I saw this one.
Count me in the faction that does not like them either.
Ken thanks for the info on how to turn them off and for reporting that the turn off feature does not work.
They turned off for me and appear to stay off. On the gear icon I chose advanced and selected 'all sites' then closed Internet Explorer when I came back to RCU the pop ups are gone.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since some time last night, I've been having problems when accessing threads. When I select to go to the last post of a thread, a new window opens, and when it appears to be done loading, the info bar at the bottom of the screen briefly says page load done, then says loading about:blank and freezes. After that the only option is to close the window using the x in the upper right corner. This causes an error in Windows and forces an end task which completely shuts down IE. I've also notice a lot of both up and down traffic now whenever accessing any page on RCU. Performing a netstat reveals additional connections to netli.net and llnw.net. Is this related to the new popups? The only way I have been able to get around this problem is to disable Run Active X controls and plugins.

Scott

Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are not "popups" as we will never do popup windows. These are dhtml on page mouseovers that allow you to preview not only ads but links in posts to any external site, youtube and other videos, etc. We tested this on Wattflyer.com and the vast majority find them helpful and a timesaver. If you don't want them disable them using the option top right.

if it is not working for you that means your cookies may be blocking snap.com or ixnp.com domains from reading your disable setting. manually put these in your trusted site lists so they can read your preference if you do choose to disable. Also close all browser windows and reopen them if the change does not appear to be taking effect immediately. Sometimes an open browser will hold your session info in memory.

added note: I realize that image attachments are showing previews too. This should not be the case. Not only is this redundant but it is annoying. I am aware of that problem and working to resolve that bug. All internal rcuniverse.com links/images should not preview.

enjoy!

marc
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

These are not "popups" as we will never do popup windows. These are dhtml on page mouseovers that allow you to preview not only ads but links in posts to any external site, youtube and other videos, etc. We tested this on Wattflyer.com and the vast majority find them helpful and a timesaver. If you don't want them disable them using the option top right.

if it is not working for you that means your cookies may be blocking snap.com or ixnp.com domains from reading your disable setting. manually put these in your trusted site lists so they can read your preference if you do choose to disable. Also close all browser windows and reopen them if the change does not appear to be taking effect immediately. Sometimes an open browser will hold your session info in memory.

added note: I realize that image attachments are showing previews too. This should not be the case. Not only is this redundant but it is annoying. I am aware of that problem and working to resolve that bug. All internal rcuniverse.com links/images should not preview.

enjoy!

marc
They still won't turn off. I have done everything short of using a .44 mag on the tower.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Hate them also!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: gjmjoe017

Hate them also!!!!
So why not just turn them off? Everyone has a choice to view or not view them. Most will choose to view them. We already tested on wattflyer.com and they have been very well received over the multi-month test period
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: gjmjoe017

Hate them also!!!!
So why not just turn them off? Everyone has a choice to view or not view them. Most will choose to view them. We already tested on wattflyer.com and they have been very well received over the multi-month test period
Mine will not turn off as well.

Disregard, now they are off

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Hi Just want to let someone at RCU know that your new
Snap-Shot/Adclick pop-ups are locking up my computer. How do
I stop them before my SA blocks this site? We need a one
time kill all function.

Ron
Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Kmot

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started seeing these "non pop-ups" also and noticed the option button. I clicked on it and selected to disable all sites and then reloaded my browser. The "non pop-ups" stopped.

However, it seems coincidental that for a couple days now my computer has been getting those Windows error logs saying a problem has been detected and Windows needs to shut down the browser, which it does. I have also been getting Zone Alarm alerts that their have been attempts to gain access to priveldged ports on my computer. This only started when these "non pop-ups" began here on RCU. I do not nornally visit Watt Flyer.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I started seeing these "non pop-ups" also and noticed the option button. I clicked on it and selected to disable all sites and then reloaded my browser. The "non pop-ups" stopped.

However, it seems coincidental that for a couple days now my computer has been getting those Windows error logs saying a problem has been detected and Windows needs to shut down the browser, which it does. I have also been getting Zone Alarm alerts that their have been attempts to gain access to priveldged ports on my computer. This only started when these "non pop-ups" began here on RCU. I do not nornally visit Watt Flyer.
Your couple a day ago issue has nothing to do with this. This code was not uploaded to RCU until 10:30PM EST last night
Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I tried to disable them. They were gone after I closed and re-opened the browser, but reappeared a few minutes later. Very annoying[:@]
Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Mike Parsons

Keep in mind also that if you clear your cookies it will loose your settings to not show the snap shot. Another member had their firefox to automatically clear cookies on exit and it was returning to a "show condition".
Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

It is removed from forums for now until issue is identified. surf on
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Kmot

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your couple a day ago issue has nothing to do with this.
Couple days, couple hours. I don't have a good recall for exact timing.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Stickbuilder

It is removed from forums for now until issue is identified. surf on
I don't want to sound like a horses patoot here, but I do know how to search for what I want to use, and don't need it fed to me like pablum. I quit being spoon fed some 60 years ago. I don't like things that I did not ask for coming on my screen. Please don't do this kind of thing to us. If the electric pilots like it, then why not leave it with them. It appears that some of us do not. I did not see anyone post who did like it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM
mvigod
Banned

Bill,

The option was there for those who did not want it to disable it and not see it at all. That way we can satisfy both those who want it, and those like yourself who do not

thanks for your feedback

marc
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
warningshot

Can't get mine to shut-off. What to do now. Have followed every suggestion posted here.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
mvigod
Banned

They are off in the forums. I removed them earlier today. they are only active in non-forum areas so we can determine if the issue was forum only for some users.

To turn off disable then close and reopen all browser windows in case it is holding your session pref in memory

marc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.