Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Radio please

Old 05-01-2003, 09:37 PM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio please

While I was setting up the elevator and rudder servos on my Cap using the multi point curves to get the servos working together in perfect harmony. I was thinking what I would like to see in a transmitter.

I would like to see at least 12 channels and a multi point mix for every channel. This would allow me to due away with the matchboxes I had to use on my ailerons. Don't get me wrong the matchboxes are great but the multipoint mixing is better.

My Cap is 33% so I am betting you guys with the 40%'s and larger could use even more then 12 channels.

In hopes the JR Genie reads this.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Radio please

Even with the 12 channels you're still gonna end up wanting the 'maqtchboxes' 'equliazers' or whatever. It is pretty much a pain to set these up and then do a mix and have to change the setup all over again because of the mix. The equalizers do it for you no matter how many channels or mixes you have. I see no need for 12. I have 2 recievers to split the load and have plenty of pluggins, and I haven't seen a plane that would need any more. As far as the 40%'s, I think we're doing just fine on 10 channels...don't wanna be making thr programming any more complex than it is right now. Those equalizers are a 'godsend' device! I ain't THE genie, but I am 'A' JR genie...been flying JR for 18 years and won't fly anything else.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:31 PM
YNOT

Default Radio please

Or you can just fly Futaba

Just had to do that.

The Mulitplex radio's have some wild stuff and I think they have a 12 channel. With HiTec buying Multiplex a few months back, I am sure we will see more from Multiplex here in the US, within the year.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Radio please

With Hitec Bying Multiplex is exactly why I didn't bring them up!

Futaba? Well I'm still waiting on my radio to come back...it's been 17 1/2 years now! hehe It's funny, but it sure ain't no joke!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:58 AM
pcm

Default Radio please

I agree the matchboxes are great and make setup much easier at 3 points. Both end points and center.

Multi point mix lets me get both end points, center and everything in between. Maybe I setup wrong but no matter how hard I try I always have spots in between that the matchbox misses.

I was just thinking how easy life could be.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:22 PM
NitroWoman

Default 12 Channels

Orbit had a 12 channel radio in about 1962.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:45 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Radio please

Originally posted by pcm
I was thinking what I would like to see in a transmitter.

I would like to see at least 12 channels and a multi point mix for every channel.
I have a radio with 12 channels - all fully proportional and of equal priority. Every one of those 12 channels has up to 13 point curves. It has been in production since 1995. JR will never catch up!! Multiplex now has two very different 12 channel radios in production.

Harry
Old 05-15-2003, 11:32 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: 12 Channels

Originally posted by NitroWoman
Orbit had a 12 channel radio in about 1962.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yes, but it only controlled 6 servos, took four channels just for elevator. Not proportional either..........

Dan
Old 05-17-2003, 01:24 AM
NitroWoman

Default Orbit 12 Channel

To IFLYJ3, Guess you didn't get the humor. I'll try harder next time.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:36 AM
wrbirch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio please

my radio has 12 channels,
And still nothing good to listen to.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:38 AM
iflyj3

Default Re: Orbit 12 Channel

Originally posted by NitroWoman
To IFLYJ3, Guess you didn't get the humor. I'll try harder next time.
Guess you are right, I'll look harder the next time.

Dan
Old 05-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Radio please

JR will never catch up!! Multiplex now has two very different 12 channel radios in production.

Jr nor Futaba, will not catch up, because we keep buying the stuff they give us.

You know for sure if Multiplex can do it, any radio manufacturer can also.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:01 PM
HarryC

Default Radio please

How would you like a true 12 channel radio where all channels are proportional and of equal resolution and refresh priority? The best Futaba makes is 8 proportional channel radios, and I believe the JR PCM10's top two channels are lower resolution and lower refresh rate. How about having up to 99 memories on board? With total assignment of everything, not just secondary switch and minor controls assigning that the Futaba 8+1Z has. With download and upload from PC, model memories that can be emailed to someone on the other side of the world for them to upload and try on their Tx. With knobs and software dedicated to the in-flight adjustment of programming parameters. A frequency scanner, and a device that checks your channel is free when you switch on, before it allows the RF module to fire up. How about dynamic memory management so to create a new model you don't find an unused memory because there are no fixed memories, you just create a new model and it stores it alphabetically. Sound like dreaming? It has been in production since 1995. Futaba and JR are a long way behind. They have nothing like this in sight.

In fact it is more than a 13 point curve per servo with Multiplex 4000. It is an independent 13 point curve for every input into each servo, and each servo has up to 9 direct inputs, or up to 33 inputs per servo with cascaded mixing. So a flaperon servo might have aileron, flap, elevator and spoiler as inputs, each of those has its own 13 point curve to that servo, and the flaperon servo on the opposite wing has its own entirely independent 4 input curves not related to the 4 curves on the first servo. Multiplex users don't understand the need for matchboxes.

H
Old 05-18-2003, 05:36 PM
iflyj3

Default Multiplex

IIRC Hitec bought Multiplex a couple months ago. Maybe now we will see some more hi tech (pun intended) radios on this side of the pond. Futaba and JR may be forced to lower the price on the 9Z/10X stuff eh!

Dan
Old 05-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Jemo

Default Radio please

Does Multiplex have the frequency scanner available for 72 Mhz.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:51 PM
HarryC

Default Radio please

AFAIK, there is some techie problem with making the scanner and channel check for the 72MHz band, and probably the low sales volume of Mpx in the USA meant it was not worth overcoming. Perhaps with Hitec USA now taking over your distribution and marketing, there might be enough sales volume to make it worth Mpx developing the options for you that we have had for years.

If Mpx can build in huge memory, PC connection capability (the latest Royal Evo can download and install software upgrades from the Mpx factory via the internet!), and so on, then so can Futaba and JR. It is not a question of high price, I appreciate that Mpx is relatively very expensive in the USA which might make you think that capacity comes at a price, but that is a local USA price issue. For us, the awesome 12 channel 4000 costs 60% of the 8 channel Futaba Z!!! And let's face it, how much would it cost to triple the memory of a Futaba or JR Tx? $5? 50 cents? We know there is a 10th "channel" in the Futaba Z, why don't they let you use it? It is all about Japanese marketing. Every two years they unblock another fraction of capacity that was already built in and suppressed. Announce it as a major upgrade, give it a new title like WC (which means a toilet in the UK), add some poncey graphics badge, and get the customers to buy it all over again. Wait 2 or 3 years, repeat, and get the customers to buy it all over again. Wait 2 or 3 years, repeat, and so on and on and on. They have no intention of giving you a top grade radio. That will come in fractions every few years as an "upgrade" to make you buy the same radio over and over again. How many versions of the Z or the PCM10 have there been?

H
Old 05-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Jemo

Default Radio please

Marketing is what will get Multiplex sold here in the US.

It certainly has enough features to back it up. even without the scanner, it looks good to me.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:15 AM
pcm

Default Radio please

The Multiplex radio looks impressive to say the least but in all my years of modeling I have never seen one at any fly I have been to. Maybe due to the fact that in central Nebraska a guy will not see much of anything.

Now that HiTech has got a foot in the door...Umm for me anyway that counts me out on owning one but it sure may help put a little pressure on JR and Futaba to come up with a competitor.