Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Monocote vs Ultracote vs the rest

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Monocote
35.96%
Ultracote
56.14%
Other, please explain
7.89%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Monocote vs Ultracote vs the rest

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:10 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monocote vs Ultracote vs the rest

what do you guys prefer? if you could put what you dislike or like about them
Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Monocote vs Ultracote vs the rest

Ultracoat goes on easier and stays shrunk. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ultracote goes on much easier and is much more user-friendly. I HIGHLY recommend it for first-timers.

MonoKote has a better choice of colors, so if that's what you need, it's the one to use. Another advantage of MonoKote is that you can apply small pieces without heat by using any number of solvents.

PS. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN use both of them together
Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 AM
huggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally, I prefer Ultracote. Ultracote over Ultracote trim is much easier to apply than Monokote over Monokote but it does not adhear as well. I have had several trim pieces come off after time, where I have never had it happen with MK. I have used a lot of both.

Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
carrellh

Fabric
Old 05-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the larger ,models, any of the Tex's are far superior to the films. Stronger, go around compound curves much better, adhere to materials better etc. You also get more for the money (the sheets are larger).
Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM
skyraider71

Ulracote!!!! my attempts at using monocote usually end up with me stripping it
and going back to ultracote. I just wish it was a little more opaque. Ulracote is
also easier to cut.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the gettin'real hot 'Valley of the Sun'.

Monocoat is a fine product and I use it a lot, but still prefer Solarfilm if'n I have choice. I got used to using Solarfilm, produced in England, I think, while living in Canada; Monocaot inCanada was hard to find and very expensive. Fortunately for me, a LHS sold out its supply of rolls of Solarfilm several years ago very inexpensively, and I bought up over a hundred rolls or so. I find that models built many years ago , up to 35 yrs + with Solarfilm, still have drum tight covering without sagging and wrinkling, whereas, here in Arizona, Monocoat covered ships have wrinkles and sags requiring frequent re-shrinking with irons/heatguns. Also, I think Solarfilm is as tough, if not tougher than Monocoat re punctures and tears.

Again, just one guy's opinion, but based on over 40 years wprth of using the shrink-wrap-coverings, best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Ultracote..

Monokote is stiffer, off-gasses (has a smell) and the colours bleed (it squishes out the edge when ironed down)
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
DFWS
My Feedback: (8)

Monokote is the best film covering ever made!

It has the best colors with depth and very high gloss finish, not dull and drab like Ultracote.

Monokote has the highest strength, have you ever seen a built up sailplane wing covered
in Ultracote and seen it flutter or bust on a 12 volt winch tow launch when the same
sailplane (i.e. Oly 2) covered in Monokote goes up on the same 12v winch just fine!!!

Ultracote wrinkles in the sunlight, how many ARF reviews in magazine articles do I see
with wrinkled Ultracote being shown in the review article 90% at least IMO.

If you can't cover an airplane in Monokote you just don't know what your doing and
should take up Golf or fishing.

Has Ultracote ever won best Monokote at the Weak Signals RC EXPO?
Answer (No) just ask Faye what covering is the best.

Some people think a KIA Rio is a better car than a Cadillac STS also and are just idiots.

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

I've used both, and both work very well as long as you've got your iron set at the right heat. This requires reading the instructions. You can also use Ultracoat OVER Monokote as a trim. The lower temeratures used on the Ultra allow the trim to go on without bubbles. (Econokote works the same way)

I like Monokote for my gliders. The colors are very bright and "seeable". It's also very tough and stands up to the Marram Grass, sand and scrub brush on the Dunes.

My taste in powered flight runs to WWI scale, and for the fabric finishes required I'm sold on solartex.

papermache
Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Monocote colors are deeper, richer, glossier, and all around better. Ultracote shrinks much cooler and much easier although you can get the same results with monocote with patience and as much heat as possible without the piece bursting in to flame. I used monocote for the first time recently and will use it again without hesitation.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
danhudson

I have used Monocote for many years and really liked it... until a few years ago. Something happened to the product, even the smell is different.

I have had problems with color consistency, adhesion, and shrink-ability and as a result have switched to Ultracote. My observation is not unique - search this site and you will see many here expressing similar experiences.

Really miss the deep shine and colors and unlimited shrinking of the old Monocote.

Wish I could go back.

Dan
Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: DFWS

It has the best colors with depth and very high gloss finish, not dull and drab like Ultracote.

Monokote has the highest strength, have you ever seen a built up sailplane wing covered
in Ultracote and seen it flutter or bust on a 12 volt winch tow launch when the same
sailplane (i.e. Oly 2) covered in Monokote goes up on the same 12v winch just fine!!!

Ultracote wrinkles in the sunlight, how many ARF reviews in magazine articles do I see

If you can't cover an airplane in Monokote you just don't know what your doing and

Answer (No) just ask Faye what covering is the best.

Some people think a KIA Rio is a better car than a Cadillac STS also and are just idiots.

I just had to highlight that one section.

Ultracote is easier to work with, Monokote has a MUCH better colour range.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just compared some scraps of "chrome" monocote and ultracote. The monocote could be used to make a frickin mirror. The ultracote will not reflect an image. The colors are like comparing oils to watercolors. Comparing covering a large open bay wing with both the monocote is more finicky but its not like it takes one of those Christmas time at the mall present wrapping gurus.

Tack it down as tight as you can and turn up the heat to the max to shrink it. I know there's been talk of adhesive problems in the past but I've seen no evidense of it in my admittedly extremely limited experience
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 PM
john neilson
My Feedback: (2)

No surprise that Ultracote is leading by 50%! I don't dislike Monokote, only the people who win at Toledo. Their talent is amazing to me!

As a point of interest not yet mentioned, Ultracote is the same as Oracover and made in Germany. I found this after purchasing a T28 made by BH Models(Hobby People) which has this covering. Out of the box with not a wrinkle. Three others have had the same experience. It will require a little ironing in areas, particulary here in Arizona with the heat and lack of humidity, as do all coverings. I just purchased a roll of Ultracote and on the backing sheet is printed Oracover!

BTW...the BH models are a superior ARF to most I've seen. Very complete and usable hardware and the price will make your head spin...how can they do it!

John
Old 07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
victorzamora

I've used both. I think Monokote looks better, and it's a little more delicate heat-wise than Ultracote. Monokote has a MUCH smaller sweet-spot than Ultracote for the heat. I liked Monokote simply because once you get your iron set to one temp that works, you can remember that temp and continue using it. I also feel like it gives you a better finish. But if you have an ARF from H9 and need to patch some Ultracote, use Ultracote. If you're patching a piece on a plane covered in Monokote, use matching Monokote. If you're patching another brand, use the closest color you can find....regardless of brand. If you're covering a kit, use the color you think is the best. You may want a chrome that isn't a mirror. You may want the other "Cub Yellow." Use the one you think is the prettiest or is the most fitting. They're both such good options, you shouldn't take the time to worry about it.

Same thing with Tx's. That JR/Futaba fight is fun (and sometimes funny), but to be completely serious about it is you should choose the one you think is the prettiest because the capabilities are going to be about the same.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM
MinnFlyer

For what it's worth, if like me, you live in a cold climate and store your planes in a non-heated area (I store many in the garage), Ultracote handles cols weather better.

I have several planes with cracks in the Monokote from bumping it while the covering was cold. This doesn't happen with Ultracote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What Dan Hudson said. I used to like Monokote a lot. Then, about a year ago, I covered a Venture 60 with it and I have to re-shrink the covering after every flight. Except under the canopy, where I can't get at it. So, on my last build, I used Coverite's 21st Century film. It went on easily, goes on well over itself with the soapsuds technique (on solid surfaces) and looks good. It's a little "softer" than Monokote. So far, it has held up very well. I haven't tried Ultracoat.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i still haven't completely covered an airplane , but i have done patch work with monocote, ultra cote, and 21st century.....i hate to sayd it it would probably be my last pick for looks(not glossy), but it was the easiest to apply, then ultracote then monocote.... if i had to choose i'd pick ultrcote because of it ease of application and deep glossy finish
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer

In YOUR opinion maybe

True, it has a much larger color range. But most of my planes are any combination of Red, White, Blue, Black or Yellow, so it's a moot point. As far as gloss, I really see no difference.

No

The truth of the matter is - they BOTH wrinkle. As a product reviewer, I assemble more airplanes in a year than most fliers build in a decade. I have first-hand experience with them on a more-than-regular basis and the bottom line is - neither one wrinkles more than the other. That being said, the biggest cause of wrinkles is either improper surface prep prior to covering, or improper covering technique.

I CAN cover a plane with MonoKote. I did so for many years and still do. But Since I discovered UC, I only use MK if I want a color UC doesn't have. Specifically, I like MK's Metallic Blue and Metallic Gold.

Oh yea, I also Golf, Fish and Hunt

Now let's see... Has Ford ever won a best Chevy competition? This is arguably the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

And some people prefer not to burn up all of the world's oil and think people who own gas guzzlers are idiots.

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

on my last build, I used Coverite's 21st Century film. It went on easily, goes on well over itself with the soapsuds technique (on solid surfaces) and looks good.
Ok, here's my whole story...

I have been using MonoKote since the late 60's back in the days BEFORE IT SHRANK (How many of you remember that?). It was designed for fully-sheeted wings and you just ironed it on instead of painting (Which usually took many coats - Get it? MONO - KOTE or ONE - COAT). Then they came out with "Super MonoKote" which shrank, and I used that exclusively for many years.

So anyway, I took the usual hiatus from the hobby to raise a family, but when I would come home to visit, I'd page through my dad's AMA magazines and see those ads for 21st Century where they covered a tennis ball and I thought, "Wow, that stuff really shrinks"

When I came back to the hobby, I used MK on my first few planes, then i decided to give 21st Century a try. I immediately fell in love with it!

But after only one year, the film started separating from the color and wouldn't re-stick. So I was back to square one.

But I liked how easily it went on that I decided to try other brands. I tried some Ultracote (Which was distributed by Goldberg back then) and I never looked back.

It goes on as easily as 21st Century, but it doesn't separate, and it has the paper backing that is easy to remove and easy to draw patterns on.

Now, as I said, I still use both. Mostly I use Ultracote, but I use MonoKote for the occasional color. In fact, I used both of them in the covering videos I did for RCU a few years ago (which are very popular) so it proves that you can put either covering over the other. (If you'd like to see these free videos [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726]Click Here[/link] )

As far as the "MK is shiny and UC is dull", I sure don't see it. I've never compared the Chrome, but I HAVE compared reds, whites, blues etc. and they both look the same to me.

As for wrinkles, the biggest factor in getting wrinkles is bad surface prep. Wiping off the dust is not enough. Microscopic dust particles get trapped in the wood grain and must be removed or secured. You can remove them by taking the wing outside and beating it with your hand - hit it hard enough to shake off the dust, but just slightly less than enough force to break the wing (Fuse, etc)

Next, wipe it with a tack rag or a rag sprayed with spray adhesive to remove any residual dust - you'll be amazed at how much more comes off!

On the last two planes I've built, I tried a new technique. This has resulted in the best, longest-lasting, wrinkle-free covering job I have ever done:

After the final sanding, I mixed wood glue with water. I measured by eye, but only about 1 part glue to 5 or 6 parts water. Spread it on with a paint brush and let it dry overnight, then sand with a fine-grit sandpaper. The finish is as smooth as a baby's butt, and any loose dust is glued in place. The dust created by the final sanding is much easier to remove since most of the "Hiding places are filled with "Glued-in Dust".

One of these finishes is over 7 years old and still shows no sign of wrinkles - even though it has been left in hot cars and stored in a Minnesota garage in winter.

And in case you're wondering which covering was used on it... Both - The metallic gold is MK and the white and black is UC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24729.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	999387  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Fiberglass and paint
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
BlavkskylineR34

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

In YOUR opinion maybe

True, it has a much larger color range. But most of my planes are any combination of Red, White, Blue, Black or Yellow, so it's a moot point. As far as gloss, I really see no difference.

No

The truth of the matter is - they BOTH wrinkle. As a product reviewer, I assemble more airplanes in a year than most fliers build in a decade. I have first-hand experience with them on a more-than-regular basis and the bottom line is - neither one wrinkles more than the other. That being said, the biggest cause of wrinkles is either improper surface prep prior to covering, or improper covering technique.

I CAN cover a plane with MonoKote. I did so for many years and still do. But Since I discovered UC, I only use MK if I want a color UC doesn't have. Specifically, I like MK's Metallic Blue and Metallic Gold.

Oh yea, I also Golf, Fish and Hunt

Now let's see... Has Ford ever won a best Chevy competition? This is arguably the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

And some people prefer not to burn up all of the world's oil and think people who own gas guzzlers are idiots.

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

on my last build, I used Coverite's 21st Century film. It went on easily, goes on well over itself with the soapsuds technique (on solid surfaces) and looks good.
Ok, here's my whole story...

I have been using MonoKote since the late 60's back in the days BEFORE IT SHRANK (How many of you remember that?). It was designed for fully-sheeted wings and you just ironed it on instead of painting (Which usually took many coats - Get it? MONO - KOTE or ONE - COAT). Then they came out with ''Super MonoKote'' which shrank, and I used that exclusively for many years.

So anyway, I took the usual hiatus from the hobby to raise a family, but when I would come home to visit, I'd page through my dad's AMA magazines and see those ads for 21st Century where they covered a tennis ball and I thought, ''Wow, that stuff really shrinks''

When I came back to the hobby, I used MK on my first few planes, then i decided to give 21st Century a try. I immediately fell in love with it!

But after only one year, the film started separating from the color and wouldn't re-stick. So I was back to square one.

But I liked how easily it went on that I decided to try other brands. I tried some Ultracote (Which was distributed by Goldberg back then) and I never looked back.

It goes on as easily as 21st Century, but it doesn't separate, and it has the paper backing that is easy to remove and easy to draw patterns on.

Now, as I said, I still use both. Mostly I use Ultracote, but I use MonoKote for the occasional color. In fact, I used both of them in the covering videos I did for RCU a few years ago (which are very popular) so it proves that you can put either covering over the other. (If you'd like to see these free videos [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726]Click Here[/link] )

As far as the ''MK is shiny and UC is dull'', I sure don't see it. I've never compared the Chrome, but I HAVE compared reds, whites, blues etc. and they both look the same to me.

As for wrinkles, the biggest factor in getting wrinkles is bad surface prep. Wiping off the dust is not enough. Microscopic dust particles get trapped in the wood grain and must be removed or secured. You can remove them by taking the wing outside and beating it with your hand - hit it hard enough to shake off the dust, but just slightly less than enough force to break the wing (Fuse, etc)

Next, wipe it with a tack rag or a rag sprayed with spray adhesive to remove any residual dust - you'll be amazed at how much more comes off!

On the last two planes I've built, I tried a new technique. This has resulted in the best, longest-lasting, wrinkle-free covering job I have ever done:

After the final sanding, I mixed wood glue with water. I measured by eye, but only about 1 part glue to 5 or 6 parts water. Spread it on with a paint brush and let it dry overnight, then sand with a fine-grit sandpaper. The finish is as smooth as a baby's butt, and any loose dust is glued in place. The dust created by the final sanding is much easier to remove since most of the ''Hiding places are filled with ''Glued-in Dust''.

One of these finishes is over 7 years old and still shows no sign of wrinkles - even though it has been left in hot cars and stored in a Minnesota garage in winter.

And in case you're wondering which covering was used on it... Both - The metallic gold is MK and the white and black is UC

Well thanks you just made up my mind! Im going with ultracote! Cant argue with minn
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The only drawback with UltraCote is the paper backing. Partial rolls seem to separate on their own and you end up with two coils of material, one inside the other, making it a pain in the anatomy to store or handle again. But it really does go on and work nicely.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
davidgeorge212

Definitely Monokote!!! Ultracoat is a waste of time and money.[:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.