Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Aerobatic B-29

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerobatic B-29

Anyone seen that video of the B-29 doing aerobatics? I ran across it tonight on a Marine Website and it was something else! The sound of those 4 engines running in synch was great, and the guy who flew that monster was one hell of a pilot...or maybe the model belonged to a very good friend. He put that thing through it all, and topped it all off with an Inverted Pass down the length of the runway. Loops, rolls, inverted spins, wow! I wish I could see it fly with my own eyes. It is a beautiful model, and not one we'd most likely see doing the things I just saw it do. I didn't get the name of the pilot or owner if he wasn't the one at the controls. He dropped a model of Yeager's Sound Breaking plane, which did aerobatics on the way down, then all eyes went back to the 29...a great routine and a great model. If I sound excited, I am as watching that video took me back to 1941 when I saw my first B-29 as it made a wide low circle over my hometown...man we had never seen anything like it! Brought back the memories.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Aerobatic B-29

Mac Hodges is his name. He's on his second B-29. Sure is impressive. Would love to see live.
Edwin
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

The only rc pilot I know that will pull a loop on final below 50 feet and over spectators and no one says a word about safety.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim ... over spectators? You not kidding? Hmmmm ...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

The only rc pilot I know that will pull a loop on final below 50 feet and over spectators and no one says a word about safety.
Speaking as a member and not as a moderator . . . .

You saw Mac Hodges do this? Where if I may ask? I've seen him fly at least at a half dozen events and all flying is done well within the saftey limits.

BTW I think he is on his THIRD B29, maybe the fouth.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Edwin

I imagine you loose a few flying like that.
Edwin
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

The model is nice, but all the aerobatic jazz- I am not impressed. Of course a four engine model airplane can do loops rolls and snaps. The fact that all of you are so impressed by a B-29 doing all that crazy stuff just shows how far you all have come from realistic scale flying.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale dail

The model is nice, but all the aerobatic jazz- I am not impressed. Of course a four engine model airplane can do loops rolls and snaps. The fact that all of you are so impressed by a B-29 doing all that crazy stuff just shows how far you all have come from realistic scale flying.

It's not meant to be a "scale" model. It was built specificly, to be an aerobatic model, that looks a lot like a B-29.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: TLH101

It's not meant to be a "scale" model. It was built specificly, to be an aerobatic model, that looks a lot like a B-29.
I wouldn't totally agree with that. while it might not have all the "rivets" and fine detail, it is a great looking scale model. The aerobatic stuff doesn't do all that much for me either, but it's done more to show off his flying skill than to 3-D a plane not designed for it.

grampaw, did it show the X-1 launch from the wing of the plane in the video? If not, part of his show is to drop an orange X-1 (like Yeager's) from the wing, another pilot glides it around to about 20 feet from the ground, then lights a "G" rocket motor and puts it in a ballistic climb. Mac toots around the pattern until the X-1 glides back in, then does his aerobatic stuff. I've seen him several times, but NEVER have I seen him fly over the crowd.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Speaking as as member and not as a moderator....

Still waiting for answer from PLANE JIM as to where he witnessed Mac Hodges doing aerobatics over the crowd with his B-29 (or any other model for that matter).
Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I've seen Mac fly several times, I've never seen him do something un-safe.

Speaking as a member
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Well Red let me hurry up answer this before the conspiracy starts!!!!!!!

I witness the act at Bomber Field-He flew his airplane over the entry road on final with spectators lined up on the road watching-I was there all three days of the show and saw the performance. He also over flew the vendors area landing to the north when he over shot his base leg to final turn.

"SPEAKING ONLY AS A MEMBER"

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Grampaw

KHODGES asked if in the video I saw did Mac have Yeager's X-1 under the belly, and was it released. Yes it was to both questions. At first I just expected to see an orange glider doing some aerobatics on the way down. But all of a sudden he kicked that thing in the seat of its pants while pulling the nose up. It went up like a cat with a Doberman on its tail! It was impressive. Mac just tooled around upstairs while the X-1 did its thing ending with a beautiful "slide-in" touchdown on the grass strip.
After the X-1 was down, came Mac's turn. What really impressed me was the manner in which he flew that monster. At no time did he race around like a lot of guy's flight habits...hell bent for leather. Mac flew it pretty much in a scale like speed. The aerobatics were not scale manuevers by any means, but Mac's touch on the sticks moved the big bird from one manuever to another, much like some full size bipes with loads of power...big and slow. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the video, live would be a gas. Those 4 engines sure sounded great too!

I saw Mac's performance on a U.S. Marine website. The way it was listed made me think it was a full size B29 but I was just as awed. I'm going to see if I can find the site when I finish this post. If I luck out I'll get back with the sitte's address for those who would like to see it.i
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Grampaw

This is a follow up for KHODGES on B-25 video.

It wasn't on a Marine Web as I thought...must be getting old! I had never checked out YOU TUBE, so not having much luck anywhere else, simply typed in "youtube.com video of aerobatic B-29" and there it was. Check it out, you'll enjoy it.
Grampaw
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Go to WWW.hodgeshobbies.com and you can see the whole history of the B-29. That should answer most questions!
I have seen a lot of his flights and never have I seen him overfly spectators or endanger anyone any more than any other large RC model!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Mac Hodges

Maybe I can add to this discussion. The video currently making the rounds on military.com is about 5 years old. The best video out there was taken at Warbirds Over Delaware last summer. Go to youtube.com , search mac hodges, then click on the Deleware 2007 video. We now have smoke on the the two outboard engines and that adds a lot to the show. Also this video has one of the scariest moments (to me) when the plane starts falling on it's side after a hover and I don't know if it is going to come out or slide all the way to the ground.
This is the second B-29. The first 16' model was built by Larry Horbacz and flown from 1991 to 2001 when it folded a wing at Joe Nall. Dan Stevens built the 20' model now flying and it was first flown in 2002. Dan is also the builder and pilot of the X-1. Dan and I have flown and traveled together for 25 years. Dan now has health issues and will not be able to travel so there will be some slow down in the schedule. I still plan to make some events and fly the 29 as long as it lasts. Nothing is forever and when it's gone, that will be it. It is a fairly nice scale plane, I just don't fly it that way. I could. But how boring would that be???? It's just entertainment. If you don't like it, go get a Coke and come back in 10 minutes, I'll be through. Most people accept it for the entertainment it is and I'm sure there is a little of the "is this going to be the time?" involved. And one day something will happen and we'll just move on. Had an aileron clevis come loose at Joe Nall this year and I thought the resultant flutter was going to take the wing off. But it lived to fly again. Sometimes the B-29 probably appears to be on the edge but I am comfortable with what I am doing and feel that I have things under control but there is always the unforseen. So one day........
As for Bomber Field, I was concentrating on my flight and realized on the landing approach there were people parked on a road that goes around the approach end of the runway. Why were they allowed to park there? I don't know. They should not have been allowed to park there but there they were. I plan to attend again this year and will address the problem with club officials. Bomber Field is one of the best events I have attended. A very nice flying site and very nice people. Last year was my first time attending and I wish I had gone years earlier.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Edwin

Well then I will see you there.
Edwin