Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

XOAR vs. Grass

Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XOAR vs. Grass

So, I took my freshly completed Sebart Angel 50 out for its maiden flight yesterday, fitted with a XOAR 17 x 10 e-prop that I had been hearing such rave reviews of.

Here is what it looked like after ONE takeoff, 5 minute flight, and ONE landing. (The flying field was mowed on Friday).

I have never had a wood prop get K.O'd. by grass before...[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34697.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	999990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56852.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	999991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61804.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	999992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17589.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	999993  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM
bbbair

Default RE: XOAR vs. Grass

Hmmm I guess you have really tough grass in Antarctica...

OK - serious stuff now. I'm looking at getting a couple of the Xoar props so this concerns me - Have you talked to your local dealer about this situation yet? and the answer was?

Wood or not - that is not what I expect to see from a propeller cutting grass. [:'(]
Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
JustErik

I ran a Xoar 16x4 on a Saito 100 for several weeks. The grass didn't bother it at all, however landing inverted on the asphalt splintered the darn thing. What a cheap POS!

Seriously though, I had no problem with the grass doing what your photos show. Maybe I had more ground clearance or perhaps the grass was cut shorter. I have about 5 or 6 inches (with the tail on the ground) of clearance. How much do you have?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I haven't talked to the folks I bought them from (reputable mailorder place).

I would have to measure my actual ground clearance (currently on business travel), but it is probably about an inch to an inch and half with the 16" prop on that plane.

I have run planes with props that only had a half inch of ground clearance and never had a prop get chewed up by grass like this.

I may have just gotten a bad prop or something, don't know, I just thought I would share the photos in case others have had similar experience, or do in the future.