Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What does your LHS charge to sell one of your planes?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What does your LHS charge to sell one of your planes?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does your LHS charge to sell one of your planes?

Our LHS gets 20% of the selling price, which I think is rather steep, although I was lucky enough to sell one plane that way and get full asking price (-20%). I find it easier to just go down to the shop, hang up the plane and see if it sells, rather then trying to ship or do local pickup. Our hobby shop owner is also the club treasurer and I would think club members would at least get a discount to sell a plane in the shop. Maybe 10-15%? Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: What does your LHS charge to sell one of your planes?

10%
Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Nothing at the one I use. I always give him $20 or so. Most don't. I have always though he should charge something.

David
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The shop I use doesn't charge anything as well. But I think it's the same shop that Daveopam uses.

Dave,
Are you talking about The Realm???

Ken
Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I should also mention, I've spent a lot of money in this store over the last several years and personally know the owner/treasurer. He has been really good to me over the years, but the 20% on sold planes seems excessive.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I can see charging 20%. Then again, I can also see not charging a commission. I'd want the increased foot traffic that lower prices would bring, because who can just buy a used plane?

So I suppose it depends on how much free space he's got above the shelves. If the 20% isn't keeping him from having a full ceiling, why would he charge less?

I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying a plane off the ceiling. At best, it's something someone is tired of. At worst? Who knows.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My local hobby shop also charges 20 per cent. It is okay with me as he is doing all the selling and being the middle man. He calls me if someone offers less than what I am asking and is the information man in dealing with the customer. He is also giving my plane exposure that it will need to sell. If the 20 per cent is an issue for you, just add it into your asking price. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 AM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

the LHS here charges 20% if you take cash out of the store at the end of the sale and 10% if you take store credit. I agree that the shops should get a commission and I don't have an issue with the LHS policy, it is there space and traffic as well as their staff that you are using to sell your plane.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
daveopam

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Ken, I am talking about Mike's on North May I have yet to go to the Realm. Have heard great things about it. I just don't get to that section of the city. Plus I am loyal to a fault.

David
Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave,
Yeah, I thought that you shopped at Mike's. So that's two stores in OKC that don't have a commission on sales of planes. I used to go to Mike's quite a bit, but The Realm is a bit closer for me driving up from Lawton.

Ken
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Our LHS doesn't charge commission - we pay "rent" for space, based on wingspan. Under 50" is $10/month (or any part of the month which equals 1 day or 30 days), over 50" is $20/month for as long as we want it there.

Personally, I think he's giving the space away - that's awful cheap.

Dave
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

At my LHS if you use the money as in store credit they keep 10% but if you cash out they keep 20%. I always take the in store credit
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my LHS is a two-story converted car garage, very small shop owned by a local guy called Nev, the bottom of the shop is full of planes of varying shapes and sizes, all of which are customer models being advertised, if a person sees something the like and buy it, the store owner takes the money and passes it on to the model seller.

he doesnt charge anything, but i always go in there for a prop and a bottle of CA and end up leaving with a forest of balsa and various tidbits which i dont really need. (plus he gives a 10% discount on the label price of everything), when buying a model i always give him a bit for his troubles.

i remember the time i bought my Ripmax bossanova, (Airframe, futaba reciever, servos, irvine 53, all rtf for £160), but when i gave him £170 and told him to keep £10 for his troubles he wouldnt accept it, saying i'd bought enough already, in the end i bought him a bacon sandwich from the catering van around the corner and everyone was happy :P
Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

20% is a deal! The only one around here will buy your plane for what the shop can get it for unbuilt (dealer discount) and sell it at as much as they can...ie: H9 Cap 232 w/ Evolution 45 RTF and he would give me $450! Seagull Dual Ace w/ engines and radio RTF, gave me $150 and sold it for over $350......so I'll go to the trouble of shipping, boxing etc. to get at least a fair deal...
Old 08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

10%