Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Best online hobby supply

Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Dave Wave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best online hobby supply

Does anybody have any votes for the best online hobby supply other than Tower, Advantage, and Omni? I am mostly interested in ARF airplanes.

Thanks!

-Dave
Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Best online hobby supply

I've been using Tower for a long time. However, I am buying about all my stuff from Advantage. Their prices are not that much different,but they ship faster & cheaper. I've found when building you can't always forsee everything you'll need. At least with Advanage you don't pay 10 bucks to get a $3 part,not counting the stupid " $20. club membership". Maybe, if Tower stopped sending all of those useless "coupons" they could reduce prices. Also, I found that when you fill out their " how was our service survey" shortly after I would start getting a bunch of spam. I complained to them, they said "no way" they give out my email. However scince I stopped filling them out & not buying from Tower, guess what? Yah, no more "special offers"
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Towerhobbies is good, but can be sneaky with those coupons, hobbypeople.net is also good, gravesrc.com is another great place to order from
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Dave Wave

Does anybody have any votes for the best online hobby supply other than Tower, Advantage, and Omni? I am mostly interested in ARF airplanes.

Thanks!

-Dave
Most of my recent orders have gone to Tower. I bit the bullet and paid to join their "club", and have made back the fee with just a couple of orders. If you use their coupons and factor in the free shipping then I've found them to be at least as cheap as anywhere else and usually a bit cheaper. Most of what I've ordered lately has arrived in 48 hours or less, with no special shipping charges. My last order to them was for a Sullivan electric starter; I placed the order on a Sunday evening and it was on my front porch Tuesday when I got home from work.

I have no complaints at this point, anyway.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I have been very happy with Hobby Lobby for electric stuff.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Mr67Stang

I just wait for the "we've missed you" offeres from Tower. Ya, know the take $20 off of your next $50 order. Then I stock up on small building supplies
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
carlgrover

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using Tower for the last 20 years. No complaints or regrets. The longer you are in the hobby, the less you need to do mail order business. Swap meets are my favorite source for supplies. I always bring a grocery list of items that I will need for future projects.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
NCBrit

Thanks!

-Dave
Who are advantage and omni? got any links?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM
crownvic

I have found Chief Aircraft to be very good and helpful.I would give you a link but dont know how to do that!

CV
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM
carrellh

Who are advantage and omni? got any links?
Omni http://www.omnimodels.com is part of the Great Planes/Hobbico/Tower conglomerate. They use a slightly different business model and have the same good customer service.

Advantage http://www.advantagehobby.com sells items from Hobbico and Horizon. They offer free shipping on many things but the majority of the 60 size ARFs are subject to oversize surcharges. Not sure about 40 size or smaller.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: crownvic
I have found Chief Aircraft to be very good and helpful.I would give you a link but dont know how to do that!
CV
Here's Chief
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/Model.html
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM
carrellh

Thanks!

-Dave
US distributor for World Models ARFs
http://www.airborne-models.com

SIG ARFs, kits, etc
http://www.sigmfg.com

Cermark
http://www.cermark.com
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Miken96

I ordered the body of the F-16 on the 12th of November... It was showing as "IN STOCK" when I placed the order button and paid with Pay-Pal. On the 27th of November, I logged on and saw it was backordred? I called and was told it woul dbe in on the 2nd of december. On the 5th of December, i was told again that it would be in on the 9th of December. On the 11th of December, i was told it wol dbe in on the 16th. On the 18th, I was told they were in, and mine was being shipped priority to make it before Christams. I was just told today (29 Dec) that none would be in before teh 10th of February? Mr. Larry Powell has recieved 3 E-mails and I have read reciepts for each one. he has NEVER bothered to reply to me. Now Hobby Lobby is saying that it will take 5-10 BUSINESS days to get my refund...!?
My R/C Club (Stealth City Flyers) used to purchase from this dealer EXCLUSIVELY... We are now in search of a new supplier for our fun fly prizes...
I will NEVER purchase from this company again! If my experience is ANY example..... STAY AWAY from Hobby-Lobby!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
STUKA BARRY

Does anyone support their local hobby shop? I know most dont carry exactly what your looking for or their 60 miles away, My local is 30 minutes away, and he's pretty well stocked on hardware, props glues, covering, etc. He's not much into giant scale, has a couple Zenoah's and some big milliamp batteries, but he can get just about anything in a couple days. Theres always customers in the shop to shoot the breeze with and the Realflight and Horizon simulators are alway on. His prices are competetive with the mail warehouses which is a big plus. Like someone said, paying 3.00 shipping on a pack of screws just does'nt make sense.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Miken96

If at all possible, i ALWAYS support my local shop...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
chunkyplunker

I support my local shop, if there is something I'm looking for and I find it on the Tower or Horizon wesites I call him give him the stock number. I get it just as fast with no shipping and at the same price. Our shop is only open officialy three evenings a week because the owner has other much larger businesses to run with a good profit. He has the hobby shop mainly to help support our local club and help pay for his plane habit.
I've seen people spend two months trying to save $20.00 on a $400.00 engine and then pay for the shipping($25.00). He always has taken care of me on my purchases and in exchange I give him a little free labor if he needs it and I have the time. No big deal, he sure has helped me since I got into the hobby, I've never ben without something to fly whether I can afford it at the time or not. I'm am one of the very few that can walk in and have what I want, and pay for it when I have the dough, can't do that with any online stores.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM
RWeston

I would gladly support my local hobby shops, but there aren't any in my area. The last two closed in the past couple of years...... I too use many of the well known online hobby websites, but I have also discovered a very pleasant group of people at "ATS RC Planes" http://www.atsrcplanes.com/ ..... They are located in Hartford, Ohio and are great communicators with competive prices and are very quick to fill an order!.... I agree that it IS disheartening to see the "mom & pop" shops closing, but with their relatively low volume buying strength, their pricing cannot compete with the "big box" companies - it's the unfortnate WalWart syndrome.