Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 08-04-2005, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

i've got a 60 sized WM mustang with a YS110.
prop is a 13x13N which turns at 10,000

another guy i fly with in the morning has a WM dago red with a YS110
he switched to a 13x10 and it turns at 10,500.
his previous prop was a 12x10 and the engine turned at 12,000

he switched to a 13x10 prop for the engine to last longer: YS recommends keeping the 110 below 9500 but they sure do sound good running at 12,500... even tho you tend to throw connecting rods at that engine speed. i think redline is at 13,000-13,500.

another guy has a little toni with a YS110 and he runs a 12x9 at 12,500.

hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM

I was there Sunday and heard someone asking up and down the line for Channel 52. I don't recall who it was, but he was asking every 15 minutes for a good hour and I even remember hearing someone else asking for him later. I try to ask every single physical person there if this happens for me.

I remember asking every single person at the field one day. I guess I was wrong, because when I took out the flag and replaced it with mine and took 1 last walk down the line with the persons flag now in my hand; when he saw me walking with it he about jumped at me to get that flag back and in the board. I asked his brother earlier walking the line what frequencies he was using and his brother was wrong. We had a slight altercation due to that misunderstanding but I would rather change frequencies now than pull a lame flag. You never know who's passed out in their car or something you'd never think of. That was my first lesson in frequency 101.

My second lesson in frequency 101 was this jerk who had supposedly, "Walked the line several times for 30 minutes". I put my flag in and began flying an Alfa foamie, when about 8 minutes in to the flight I heard someone screaming and saw an orange trainer flying toward the golf course. I kept flying my plane a few minutes still watching that orange trainer go past the creek and toward the gold course. I landed and this guy screaming asked me if I was on his frequency. When I said, "Yes", he said something vulgar at me which I couldn't hear and walked angerly toward where his plane was heading. As I walked back to the board I noticed his flag in place of mine, that is my flag I just placed there 12 or so minutes earlier. He pulled my flag and started flying while I was already flying. So many things could have happened, but it's strange that he could take off, and get airborne while I was flying and then later lose control of his plane? I have good ears and hear people yelling frequencies. I also know most people on my channels so that also helps. This guy came back and tried to say something to me when I pointed out to him I'd been there all along and you never pull a flag without really risking losing your plane.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 PM
My Feedback: (2)

As much as it sucks to not be able to fly because someones hogging the frequency or forgot and left the field it's pretty unerving to fly after you pulled someones flag.

I was trouble shooting a 1/4 scale gasser and left my flag in for way to long one time. When I finally flew it locked out after take off and crashed. As I was walking out to retrieve it I saw a trainer go down also. After I got back in I went to pull my flag and saw another one in it's place. I thought I might have forgotten to put it up and looked for the guy with the trainer and was told he was parked out on Woodley retrieving his plane and left straight away. I finally realized he pulled my flag, watched us both crash and realized what happened. He packed his stuff and left before I could find out, nobody packs up before retrieving a downed plane without a good reason.

Now my flag had my name on it and I was on a table nearby and I think I am pretty easy to find at the field so while I was wrong to leave my flag in for so long I think this guy was a knucklehead to pull my flag.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 PM

...and I think I am pretty easy to find at the field...
it's gotta be those lumberjack shirts

===============

good stories on flag pulling, gpitts & lebdogger.... sometimes, i think people who pull flags while others are flying simply need a goiod swift kick in the a s s to provide a good lesson they'll remember. on the otherhand tho, violence begets violence.

===============

off topic -

on the way to work this morning, a car in front of me whipped up a piece of shrapnel and i got hit. the piece of aluminum bouces off the hood of my pick up and prolly hit someone else behind me.

if anyone travels that line, watch out in the construction zone on the 405 south of the 10. i've seen lots of debri there as of late being kicked up by cars and trucks recently.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:15 PM

I guess the moral of the story is to never pull a flag. But at the same time don't leave the field, hide, foget - about your flag. It's just puts others in a bad situation. If it was me, I would make the decision to go home, which would really suck to waste a day becuase someone else forgot their flag.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 PM

[&:] test
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Basin ????
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Don't pull Someone elses Flag unless the sun is down. PERIOD....................... az 4 u azzes who leave your flag up more than 30 mins (not 15) You are just that Azzez. When you arrive at the airfield check your freq. If it is in use ask everybody till you find'em, make note of whos on your frequency's. But most of all have a scanner and check before you turn on, if you dont find someone who has a scanner (if a unknown flag is up). You fly at your own risk anyway and anything that you do to lessen that risk benefits you...............

40.00 to 50.00 is small investment to avoid taking your airplane or helo in a bag don't ya think................. hobby people has a mini scanner ($48.00 beans)

Find me I got a scanner damn it, just ask............. If this will help avoid grown men from not enjoying what we like to do.....FLY.............

SHARE THE FREQUENCY !

Signed peace at the Basin
Old 08-05-2005, 03:20 AM
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the lesson.... Put your name on your flag like BB mentioned. There will be a few others at the park who will know you by name but will not know your frequency. If your on the my frequency, I will ask you to put your name on your flag, just do the same when you see a buddy with the same frequency. MR B should have had his name on his flag, Mr A should not have pulled it out! Or was it the other way around [&:]? Anyways my hats off to DJ!

Its nuts looking for someone at the field when you have to ask 50 people, worst if the flag was left by accident. So did someone see my flag last week? Its got my name on it

It should be a rule to have your name on a frequency flag, no name = no fly!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks for your words of risk management Vic and Darrell. I got to get a scanner. Does that HP work good? Is there a difference.?

I have had my own scarry run ins with flags. One day Mr Kim walked up to me with my flag in his hand smiling and handed to to me. I was about to start my gasser and had JUST put my flag in! AHHHH!
Also one day I was about to start up and went to check my flag and found an electic flyer ( muscle guy with red hair) just pulled it and put his in. He said " I looked for you everywhere". There was not more that 10 people at the field that day total. OK, scary stories over.

I love the basin.

Joe
Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scanner at this price is great. Now, just waiting for the channel selectable synt raido I ordered to arrive.

Scott
Old 08-05-2005, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its nuts looking for someone at the field when you have to ask 50 people
In days gone by, the freq flag poles were numbered/colored and each pit was assigned by freq. So you only had to look at one pole, and in one pit to find who was on a freq. I don't understand why the field went away from that system.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
My Feedback: (6)

In some places the tress provide better shade than others...that's probably the biggest reason. Plus parking...if I'm parked on one end because the other is side is full then I'm not carrying all my gear and planes completely to the other side of the field to facilitate an orderly pits/freq arrangement.

There should be a transmitter impound on the weekend.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: submikester
There should be a transmitter impound on the weekend.

and bring forth a bureaucracy?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 AM

Well...sort of.

Transmitter impounds are used all over the country and considered standard operating procedure and are also very accepted in every competitive circle.

The only fields I've ever been to that didn't use it were improvised fields that were not dedicated to the purpose and typically had a handful of fliers at any given time. Something the size of the basin that DOESN'T use an impound is unusual to say the least.

You've simply got to give me that dude.

Anyway, I'm just saying - a transmitter impound would make radio hits virtually go away. At club events we've started to really pay attention to frequencies using the new frequency scanner and such.

I know it won't happen but it is still the truth.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM

who do you propose would run the impound police duty sunrise-to-sunset-seven-days-a-week?

(i'm not trying to be argumentative here, the first image to come to mind is a bureacratic organization stepping forward to implement rules and regulations... and given that power, more special-interest rules and regulations coming forth such as noise control, etc... and then i had this funny image of the sign (the one with 14 rules painted on it) being torn down and replaced with a big giant sign with a listing of 147 rules and regulations... and then i can even envision an on-site officer who wears a sound pressure level meter handing out citations to all violators)

see, i do have a vivid imagination
Old 08-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Now; I've never seen anything like that at ANY of the many many impound run sites I've ever been to so I don't know why your imagination is going to such great lengths.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:38 PM

seeee, now ya know i'm a nut case
(but i sure do a great signature takeoff: cross runway->vertical->wingover into a knife edge down the runway)
Old 08-05-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm just sayin man...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:33 PM

should i even mention this is another issue into why we need the basin to be ama. at an ama field you can ban people (ala Crazy Eric), and control frequencies using ama cards (Mr. A and Mr. B) I'm just thinking this would be a good idea after seeing the camarillo field. Of course they have a handful of regular flyers so....

Bye from san diego

patternd
Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 PM

(an ya share the same skies with me out there - hehehe - if you arrive early tomorrow morning, i'll show you my signature takeoff - i don't do it when the flightline starts to get crowded)

one of my mottos is this: question authority
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Sorry, I haven't been making saturdays lately since the wife is taking a class on saturdays (tomorrows the last one though).

Plus with the event...I don't get out quite as early as you do.

I'll be out helping with the race on Sunday though.

I'm not looking to ban anyone but I do think the field would benefit from being an "Ama" field like Whittier is.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: submikester
if I'm parked on one end because the other is side is full then I'm not carrying all my gear and planes completely to the other side of the field to facilitate an orderly pits/freq arrangement.
Yes, I see. Planes getting shot down, and flyers almost coming to blows is definitely preferred over an orderly pits/freq arrangement if it means having to unload gear and walk it an extra 100 feet.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:38 PM

yet, with an AMA or valley flyers regulated field, all would be taken care of, including free shuttle service to the other end of the pits.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 PM

HOLY COW!!!!
the field is closed again for another scheduled event............Q500 races all weekend.

Next thing you know, there will be some 3 day Heli event with a rock band and everything..........................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.