Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 08-05-2005, 08:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

I've seen people pull flags at Whittier, I've heard of shootdowns at Jet events with transmitter impounds. A new guy with a trainer that doesn't know better can still shoot you down, impound or not. With the wrong TX modual in the inpound you can still shoot someone down. As for the field becoming AMA....besides the city not being receptive to the idea it does not mean people could be banned if it was an AMA field. The AMA does not revoke memberships or police fields and only has a safety "code" not a set of rules.

No system is perfect and human error can always undermine the effectiveness of any safety/ frequency control system. Adding more unenforcable rules to a sign at the Basin won't change anything and as long as most people are willing to stand idely by while people do unsafe things the status quo at the Basin will remain. When was the last time you asked someone with a baby carriage to leave the pitts or told a mother sitting on the flightline with her kids while dad flys how dangerous it is? Instead of thinking up things that may be OK in Podunk Idaho (pop.537) try and look at the big historic picture of the Basin and realize that only by peer pressure and group confrontation can we change peoples behavior at the field.

As for the pits being sectioned by frequency, with the advent of narrow band (i.e. more channels) and that many people fly on multiple channels these days, it is not as feasable as it was when I flew on Orange/White.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

dangnammit [:@]
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (6)

As always BB your support is appreciated. Yes - you're right - no system is perfect but an impound system proven to work much better than what we have at the basin and it's also considered a best practice throughout the hobby.

Fully AMA fields also have less of what we see at the basin going on.

These are just not deniable to me.

I don't want to ban anyone; I just want to see enforcement which the fact is won't happen from the authorities because the resources on their end to do so just aren't there. Which you're also right about in that we must police ourselves. The question is how do we do that in a safe and courteous manner? Furthermore, what do you do about people who simply don't care?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 PM

People who don't care? What do you mean, specific instances are easier to discuss. My other points go to the fact that things like impounds are just not feasable at the Basin during regular flying days. Instead we should concentrate on things that are feasable such as educating mom about her kids on the flightline or approaching people with brand new trainers and offering assistance to avoid beginner mistakes that could cause injury or loss of property.

Lot's not waste energy on things and people we can't control and focus on what is do-able. Why not free frequency flags during a non-event weekend day to promote frequency control, that is feasable right now.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

People who don't care? What do you mean, specific instances are easier to discuss. My other points go to the fact that things like impounds are just not feasable at the Basin during regular flying days. Instead we should concentrate on things that are feasable such as educating mom about her kids on the flightline or approaching people with brand new trainers and offering assistance to avoid beginner mistakes that could cause injury or loss of property.

Lot's not waste energy on things and people we can't control and focus on what is do-able. Why not free frequency flags during a non-event weekend day to promote frequency control, that is feasable right now.
Specific instances have always gotten me in trouble here specifically with you. I would say !QUOT!We all know what unsafe behavior is!QUOT! but clearly that isn't the case. Common sense simply isn't that common.

I don't want more rules, the AMA rules are fine enough for me and I'm sure they are enough for a lot of folks. I realize there is an enforcement issue that we can't solve through rules and regulations. There are people out there who simply have no regard for safety, their fellow fliers or their own family. Those are the !QUOT!People who don't care.!QUOT!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:13 AM

i hope your not trying to be democratic mike in saying you don't want to ban someone *cough* Crazy Eric *cough*. I agree shoot downs would still occur, but they would be greatly reduced if it was an ama field. Also, think of how much easier it would be to go flying when 50% of the current basinites decide not to buy ama . Oh well this is my 1 1/2 cents. now wheres that last 1/2 cent

patternd
Old 08-06-2005, 12:39 AM

Banjo Bill has just changed from a 12x10 to a 13x10 saying he gets a little more speed out of it.

He also tried a 12Wx10 I believe which gave it a bit more stump-pulling-power but seemed not to give more speed.

-David C.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Hey lance I flew the mustang today it was great cant wait for tomorrow
Old 08-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Be there 5:30 for War brid sunday
Old 08-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Be there 5:30.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:01 PM

U got it HOMIE
Old 08-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds
Old 08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: lewman

Be there 5:30.

No shakin those sticks bud.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Isn't it another Quickie Race Sunday, One of the many many many many many, I was wondering if you got trophy every month competing against the same people over and over and over and over, is the Trophy worth anything......
Old 08-06-2005, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: lewman

Be there 5:30 for War brid sunday
can i fly yours tomorrow at 5:30 5:30 5:30?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM

don't bring up the quickie events, about 2% of the valleyflyers race. The problem is that 2% have the most power. If it wasn't for racin we'd have more public oriented events like a heli classic style fun fly or something. Just my last 1/2 cent, now i got to go to the bank.

patternd
Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Itzdzworld

Isn't it another Quickie Race Sunday, One of the many many many many many, I was wondering if you got trophy every month competing against the same people over and over and over and over, is the Trophy worth anything......
well, it might be a thousand plus bucks into the valley flyers bank account each time a quickie race is held. i'm sure submike or basinbum can correct me... but just think, if they held a 1500 race each month, the vflyers would have enough money in the bank to start serving up free prime rib at the fun-flys... that would bring in the crowds from over at the car shows on the other side of woodley once thay caught whiff of the bbq aroma in the air.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:05 PM

only if i can fly yours hahahahahahahaahahahahah
Old 08-06-2005, 09:11 PM

Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds Sunday Sunday Sunday Warbirds Warbirds Warbirds [&:]
Old 08-06-2005, 09:33 PM

only if you promise not to make my hamster get airsick - over and out[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-06-2005, 09:53 PM

If we didn't have the flight ceiling we could replace some of the races with aerobatic/pattern events but since we do and the Basin is a premier racing site we have the races. The world record Quicky500 time was set at the Basin and many of the top pilots in the country attend the races so to them, winning is a big deal.

People that use the field and take it for granted that their tax dollars make it all happen are naive at best. Anybody can get a permit and hold whatever kind of event you like. The members of the Valley Flyers that might not represent the majority of flyers are the ones that do the majority of work to run the races and are the ones that generate ALL the funds that make field improvements possible.

Docmetal, welcome to the Basin thread! (I think your keyboard is jammed or something.)
Old 08-06-2005, 09:54 PM

The quickie races contribute to the nationals point schedules. The trainer, AT-6 and slow quickie are just for fun. The VF have always been a pylon racing orientated club to my knowledge so I wouldn't expect that to change. I would however expect some more "fun" at fun flies. At least that's what I'm pushing for.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM

how about instead of trainer races, trainer air combat?
pull out yur ol' beat-up trainers and play tag.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:15 AM

Well if anyone went to the bored directors meeting they would know they are working on replacing the aircruiser class (i hope i didn't say something i shouldn't have)

patternd
Old 08-07-2005, 12:36 AM

There were a few suggestions but nothing concrete at all. The fact is the air cruiser kits are hard to come by. My suggestion was 4*40s as we could carry the same rules as the trainers and it's a natural progression for folks who are getting into racing (I suppose). Other suggestions were maybe something with electrics but that was the extent of it. The idea is to keep the cost down and the hardware and airframes somewhat standard (this isn't an "unlimiteds" class).

But like I said - we're just starting to discuss it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.