Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 08-07-2005, 07:58 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

Another option, just have three classes and fly six rounds instead of five for the other classes or just speed things up and get done earlier. For a club race the Traine/AT-6 series takes to long and why not open the field for regular flying that much earlier?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Richard is onto something here, you have got to get that field opened up sooner.

Racing is a big user of resources (field, time and people) for the enjoyment of what seems to be fewer and fewer people. I went yesterday, it looked like maybe 20 pilots and virtually no spectators.

If they should dhut down earlier and got the pylons down, that would help. A lot of rumbling going on, when I was on the board a couple of years ago, enough of the "common man" had gone to the Recs and Parks that we were starting to get worried.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:04 AM
My Feedback: (6)

One of the things that always gets me at the end of a race day is the breakdown of the hardware. The sport pilots are always chomping at the bit to get to fly but never offer to help breakdown the race.

I don't think we'll be doing any less racing unless the club as a whole decides they want to go in another direction.

Well, I have to go help - I'm a volunteer today.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: submikester

I don't think we'll be doing any less racing unless the club as a whole decides they want to go in another direction.

No offense, but since when has the club as a whole determined what the event schedule is? Basically, all of the CDs get together and decide what they want to do. The "club within the club", the Board of Directors and the CDs come up with the schedule

If it changes, it will either be because no CDs are willing to do it, no workers are available (or can no longer be cajoled with the big workers raffle) or when the public gets so irritated that the Recs and Parks reevaluates their permit policy for the field.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:03 PM

In other words, when Barry get's tired of racing......
Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 PM

pretty much
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a fellow last week about all these field closings for races and pointed out to him that the field has never been closed do to an aerobatic tournament. I added that's probably due to the 400' ceiling ??? His reply was that if we alert the Van Nuys tower ahead of time that they will divert traffic around us for the entire day ( at this point I was thinking he's probably full of **** !) but the more i talked with him the more I realized that he seemed to know what he was talking about. I asked about the FAA ! he said it won't be a problem with them either ( he new precisely where the valley FAA office is located).

I am quite good at separating the bull-****ters from the rest of us and this guy seemed very convincing !!......any comments ....

Old 08-07-2005, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, Call the Van Nuys FSDO and ask them yourself. They are the FAA in this area. Here is the link. The phone number is at the top of the page.
http://www.awp.faa.gov/spm/home_vannuys.cfm

Take care,
Dave
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM

I wont let fear stop me. Be there 5:00Pm tusday don and i well be ther. BE THERE!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:12 PM

I guess I've been the only one on the board that has complained about so many races.
The problem is that no other special interest group has been involved.
I've been trying to get one of the WarBird guys to participate on the board with no result.
The last year War Bird Race had a terrible turnout with almost none of our regular WarBird guys participation.
2 weeks ago, The night fly had only a few flyers.
The fact is that the Valley Flyers is open to do any type of event.
Having so many races is a direct result of lack of involvement from any other special interest groups.
Please e-mail your suggestions to me at [email protected] and I will make sure your voice is heard at the next
Board meeting. Get enough participants and I will pull the proper sanction for you for next year.

Regards
Jason Pakfar
Old 08-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Yes with proper notification you can fly higher than 400ft. Also - with the board as jason says is open to any type of event but if all you're going to do is piss and moan and not put the energy into another type of event then what you'll get are races.

The fact is the fellows who are into racing are also in the VF, they have also been there a long time. They put the time and energy to get the events together and run them as best they can with support from the club. If you want another type of event and are a club member - SPEAK UP!

PErsonally I'd like to see some pattern events but right now in my life I simply don't have the time to put it together and push the board for it. It won't always be that way though and when I do have more time I will make those pushes. If someone DOES want an aerobatics competition there - get off your butt and say something. If you're not a VF member then I can't really say I can help you out but if you put an event together that interests me I'll show up. IF you put one together and it doesn't and I can't fly that weekend - we'll that's fine too and I'll support it 100%.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:53 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

One thing good about the Quickie Races and them having so many that they are shooting themselves in the foot. When sport flyers show up and see 20 guys taking up the entire field for the entire weekend (2 and 1/2 days). It pisses them off and turns their interests away from the type of people, and the interest in that type of flying If you ever went to watch it dosen't take whole weekend to accomplish what can be done in a day. ( IE 3 minute race then 30 to 45 minute to twittle ya thumbs). The number of flyers dwindle at each event.................

The Quickie Races are NFL ( NOT FOR LONG ) I am not complaining but I hear others, and I see'em complaining to Parks and Rec's.

signed Jimmy Crack Corn,

HEEHEHEHHE HAHAHAHAHAH HEHE hahahahahah
Old 08-07-2005, 08:24 PM

Hi ITZ
AS long as the Park & Recs gets their permit fees, they don't care if you only have 1 person participate in an event.
JasonP
Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 PM

Lets have 51 heli fun fly's next year and 1 regular fun fly. Then, we'd have Tx impound every weekend...............
Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM

jason P writes:
''AS long as the Park & Recs gets their permit fees, they don't care if you only have 1 person participate in an event.''

but who would enforce the closure [sm=lol.gif]

dave, i have discovered (jan told me) that hobby people are no longer offering 20/20 at 13 bucks a gallon [:@]
i guess i will be putting in that magnum fuel order - but after i get back from the reno races. until then, i'll be lost in the high sierras for 3+ weeks losing more weight.

lance, that was fun sneaking up on you this morning. until next weekend, around 5:40 on sat.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Until they raised the permit fee there was some talk (I think it was Matt's idea) of making one weekend day every weekend an AMA sanctioned event. That would have enabled the club to run an impound and require AMA. Now that the permits are $300 it isn't as "fee"sable an idea as it once was.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Me and Philo had an awesome power session today after the races. I love the basin in the dusk! Great to see you and your tiny yak!~) .

Joe
Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 AM

Well, I worked the first half of the races this morning starting (more like Scrib in a hazardous zone) with George.

It was very cool to do and I had a real good time - even though I didn't fly today. The hobby isn't all about flying for me it's also service and helping others.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 AM

I was told the same thing regarding higher than 400 foot ceiling. I visited the Van Nuys Airport operations office in March for LA Jets but they denied the existance of any form or law that would allow us to fly higher than 400 feet. If anyone knows otherwise, please let us know about it.
Thanks in advance.

Jason Pakfar
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 AM

See my previous post regarding the local FSDO.... go to that office or call them and request a TFR (temporary flight restriction) over the basin for your event. People do it all the time for parties, weddings, etc. May be a bit more difficult due to the proximity to the airport but still worth a try. Don't believe everything the tower guys tell you. They don't have as much authority as they think. What the FSDO says goes.....so go sweet talk someone there and I think you'll be happy with the result.
Dave
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 AM

Jason you must be wrong because Ron "talked to a guy" that said it could be done. As a matter of fact that's what they said at Prado before Best in the West and now they can't fly jets at Prado anymore......oh, wait a second.......
Old 08-08-2005, 01:07 AM

Hey Dave
Thanks for the response
I will look into it tomorrow first thing.

Jason
Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 AM

I personally heard one of the event officials of Best in the West say that the Airport was notified and they had a 5000 foot ceiling permit.The interesting part is that not that there was no such permit in place, the airport was not even aware of the event.

JasonP
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Jason you must be wrong because Ron "talked to a guy" that said it could be done. As a matter of fact that's what they said at Prado before Best in the West and now they can't fly jets at Prado anymore......oh, wait a second.......
Gawldang, BB! Made me spit up my morning coffee again! lol...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:07 PM

BBum is correct, several people have advocated a permanent "Safety Fun Fly" scenario over the years....Greg Horvitz, Jason Somes, my wife, myself, etc. I guarentee it would be the ultimate.....but with the new permit rates (IF they are real) this would be very difficult (if not impossible) to do.

As for the responses regarding the priorities of the CDs and the events, I appreciate those....but let me tell you, I do not think that adding a number of aerobatic events or any other events will (necessarily) curtail racing, it is not a "zero sum" game (meaning that there is not a hard limit to the number of events, and that by adding a new event, it requires deleting one race, etc)

I have to agree with the other posters, while everyone complains, the race guys have held it together better than any other group. Right now, you have the helis (pretty disorganized), the scale guys (when was the last "pure" scale event at the basin) and the jet guys (one event a year, which I would be more than happy to drop if we got more safety fun flys)..

There are just no other special interest groups that are even remotely as organized as the race guys. And with the new permit fee structure, there probabaly never will be......$350 for 20 race guys to enjoy their hobby....h*ll, they would pay triple or quaduple that in California...and they use the rest of the fees to pay the workers through the yearly raffle....quite a sweet deal.

In the future, I think it will be "all races, all of the time", unless the public gets a belly full and complains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.