Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

yeah, those disposable cameras are great for hazardous conditions like this
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Do you know how if you go to any location with minimum 100+ people or sometimes way less, no matter what, there are always at least 2-3 Az-H-les. No matter what part of the country, no matter their social or economic status. There are always at least 2 to 3 if not more. Given anyday of the week at the Sepulveda Basin flying field there are more than its share of them. We know who they are, frequency flags or just plain old using dangerous practices.

Only after a few incidents you get used to them, sooner or later it gets funny........

Laugh just laugh, cause if your born an az-h-le nothing but death will change them: pictures, names on pins, talking to em, yelling, fighting, cursing, or even staying away.....................................They will never change!

Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Wise words D.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Old 11-10-2005, 11:47 PM

ah yes the trays. where us tray man anyway haven't seen him on here for sometime.

patternd
Old 11-11-2005, 12:30 AM

Stare into my eyes...you are growing sleeeeepy....you want a tray...everyone needs a tray...repeat after me....I want a tray......

Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I arrived at the field Friday I noticed a bunch of people gathered around a trainer, didn't pay much attention till I heard one of them say "have you ever flown before!!"

answer....NO!...

that got my attention and I immediately looked over to get a better handle on what was going on !.. up till that point I was not paying that much attention. the newbie had his transmitter (on) and was playing with the transmitter and his trainer (receiver on) the people around him were his friends not rc pilots. I immediately asked him if he had ever flown a model plane....

answer = NO !

.... I told him if you try to fly, you will crash..."""DON'T FLY""" .

I then asked him if he put a flag in (I pointed where they go)....answer = "WHAT FLAG"

I then explained what some of the rules are....but...looks to me like...

Apollo is becoming more and more like Russian roulette....ouch....

good luck....i think we will need it
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 PM

So tell us the rest of the story.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 PM

goe,

you sooo bad [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pullin' up a chair,, cuz this has to be good....
Old 11-12-2005, 06:07 PM

just a short mornign report:

it was pretty fogged in this morning and everyone was sitting around until 9:15 for the fog to break up. even the electrics were pretty much grounded till about 8:00... but there were courageous ones who managed to put their gassers in the air early. one was a 3-d plane that he simply kept in close and did mostly hovering. another fella who's IQ must have been below 90 decided to take his trainer out into the fog... up it went, banked the normal left turn... going going gone......

he spent about 1/2 searching for it and a few of us decided to go out to the flightline to see if we could see his head bob in-and-out of the weeds. soon enuf, there he was carring his shreded plane. he told us as he walked by that he had a dead stick.... but i gotta tell ya from the way the balsa looked all chewed up, it sure looked like his plane went in with the prop spinning. the three of us all sorta looked at each other and laughed cuz 9 times outta 10, it's pilot error and their egos never could let admit that it was ever a boo-boo on their part.

i managed to get one flight in after the fog broke and it was awesome. there was this one fog cloud over the approach turn that topped out about 250 or so feet. i flew around the top of that cloud and watched my plane come in and out of view about 3-4 times as i skimmed the top of the cloud in the banked turn. WAY KEWL.... so forget the acrobats. i just kept doing simple oval turns in the pattern to do it over and over again for about 5 or 6 minutes. probably the best flight i've had in a long time cuz it was just that unique enough to make it a memorable experience.

yeah Ron, post the remainder of that story about the trainer guy who had never flown...................
Old 11-13-2005, 01:21 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there isn't a whole lot more to tell....

I don't keep a trainer chord in my car so couldn't really help him a whole lot ! ( I only have the chord for airtronics anyway, he had jr stuff I believe)

kept one eye on him at all times ! he was set up right next to me (actually he had my spot, extreme north end of the pits [&o])

every time I saw him doing something stupid/dangerous I would chime in ( he did begin taxing the plane around with his tx antenna collapsed)

It appeared that he had very little knowledge about the hobby but managed to put the trainer together pretty good. I didn't look the plane over that closely since I had talked him out of flying it, I knew it wouldn't be going up that day.

He spent the rest of the day taxing it around. I was not going to try to help him fly it without a chord so that is about the end of the story. I was considering an offer to take the plane up to test/test trim it, but i really don't like to push things on people, if he specifically asked me, that would be different. Did tell him about wheel-chair/teacher Ron and chated about general basic rc airplane stuff for a while...

About 3pm Joe Kelley showed up so was occupied talking with him ...
Old 11-13-2005, 02:33 PM

The first post made it sound like he was gonna fly anyway, and didn't want to hear about flags. I guess I read more into it than what was there. I've done the same thing with people, a lot. You can spot them fairly easily if you know what to look for. A lot of friends with them is a give-a-way, they want to see the new toy fly/crash. A brand new or no flight box is another sign as well as a trainer that still has the tags labeling where the wires and control rods go.

I prefer to teach without a buddy cord, probably cause I learned that way. I feel it is a lot faster because they learn to recover faster when you are not always taking control before they realize it. Just stand on there right and reach over with you right hand and hold the stick. They have their thumb on top of the stick and you say what you are doing as you do it. It's actually easy once you get the hang of it and I've never lost a plane that way. Look how long Ron takes to solo someone, seems like forever.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:34 AM

Talking about frustration with flags.
On Saturday, there was a Stanley on channel 44 all day.
I changed frequencies after looking for the guy for a half hour.
The Valley Flyers has made over 350 flags over the season. The good news is that I see a lot of them being used.
As far as the pictures are concerned, the quality is not that great but in most cases it does the job.
If anyone needs a new Freq-flag or is interested in a better quality picture,OR YOU NEED TO GIVE IT TO THAT SPECIAL FRIEND AS A GIFT Please don't hesitate to email me the following to [email protected]

1.Your favorite Mug Shot
2. AMA membership # (optional)
3.Your Channel (Optional) If no Ch - you can pen in the box
4.First , Last Name (Nick-Name)
5.Your mailing address so I can snail-Mail it back to you.

All flags are free

Edit: I have spend 6 Saturdays of the season making Flags.another 3 days thanks to the volenteers like Leroy and Basin Bum. The Freq Flag software is very easy to use.
We will continue to make as many flags as it takes to change the trend at the Basin.
Other things like lack of tables at the electric area and our aging tables at the field need attention. The funds have been alocated by the club to build new tables and retrofit all others but lack of help slows everything down.If you have any extra time out of your already busy life, volenteers are welcome.

JasonP

Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Other things like lack of tables at the electric area and our aging tables at the field need attention. The funds have been alocated by the club to build new tables and retrofit all others but lack of help slows everything down.If you have any extra time out of your already busy life, volenteers are welcome.
i've got a table saw (located about 2 miles from the van nuys home depot) that needs a good workout and i'm willing to help ya out here...

did my peel-out finish off alex's p.o.s. foamie? (sorry joe, if i sprayed your toyota in the process - i neglected the fallout) [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-14-2005, 10:05 PM

Wow bear
Thank you for your offer. It is greatly appreciated.
Guys? Few more people and we can get this off the ground.

Bear!I can't believe what you did to Killer Joe's showroom finish!
You would have to shoot that van if it was a horse.

all the best
JasonP

Old 11-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Please shoot my van! No harm done Paul. I'm down for the table building party! We need a designer and a purchase/cut list. Richard? Freakin beautiful day today. Got many fine flights. If you can call it flying. !~)

Joe

(Killer)?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:05 AM
My Feedback: (15)

I'll bring home some generators, lights, compressor etc. We can build the tables at the field after sundown. It shouldn't take us more than an hour if we got our act together. I just built my new work bench out of ply and 4' x 4' s. Took about an hour. Nail gun helps alot. Give me two weeks and I'm all yours. By the way who will be the "Gran Jeifey" See Ya, Billy
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 AM

I'll bring home some generators, lights, compressor etc. We can build the tables at the field after sundown. It shouldn't take us more than an hour if we got our act together. I just built my new work bench out of ply and 4' x 4' s. Took about an hour. Nail gun helps alot. Give me two weeks and I'm all yours. By the way who will be the "Gran Jeifey" See Ya, Billy
And he has spoken.Let it be written!!
Thanks Bill. You da man.

Please shoot my van! No harm done Paul. I'm down for the table building party! We need a designer and a purchase/cut list. Richard? Freakin beautiful day today. Got many fine flights. If you can call it flying. !~)

Joe

(Killer)?
KILLER JOE! And to you it's Mr. Killer Joe!
or how about Jet J....

Jason Pakfar
Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM

The park ranger might kick us out if we do it after sundown.

I wouldn't mind doing it at the field. All we need is a chop saw, a circular saw and a couple of screw guns.

Per table:
Two sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" ply (good on one side)
Four sixteen foot 2x4's
2-1/2" drywall screws (coated)
Gorilla glue

Paint or laquer to weather proof, Joe is the man for this part.

That's for some basic tables, we could use all ply and make them really Gucci but everything at the field seems to last about the same amount of time.

We should cut up a couple of the really old tables and trash then while we are at it or at least salvage the wobbely ones.

How about a work detail Nov. 27th?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Hey Basin Bum
All sounds good. I can have the lumber purchased ASAP. As far as the Rangers are concerned I may be able to work something out with the
Park Office.
November 27th is the LA Jets and I will not be able to effectively participate. I guess we will need to make someone the BossMan to coordinate.
A pre Inspection would be great by experiensed eyes to make a Hardware/Lumber list so I can have it purchased.

Jason P
Old 11-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Yeah don't leave Jason in charge, we might end up with gold leafed, marble work benches.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 AM

No seriously, the 27th is D Day for me, big job with work, after that I'm free. I can supply the 12' Dewalt compound miter saw, 2 - Skill Saws, Generators and lights.

Hey B.B. Could we use 8' instead of 16'. It would be easier to transport and also cheaper.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 AM

I was only kidding about the 27th.

16' is cheaper than 8'x2 but what do I care. I can't believe you're worried about transportation with that monster truck you drive. We could always strap them on top of Joe's van...oh wait, we wouldn't want to scratch it.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:21 AM

Who's bringing the Dewalt radio stuck on KWKW 1330 am ....La Mexicana... We'll work faster with this..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.