Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: Philo

Can't wait to see her in color.

You amd me both, got a lot of final body work to do and no scheme in mind!

I need about 5 more flights to get the final trims and test the wet drop tank and the smoke. Once again no time! If I fly it more in primer I really cannot open it up as I would'nt be able to see it.

I am with you I cannot believe how fast it took off at at 33 pounds!! Fun day!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you all know...this is an official gripe, so if you've heard enough, or don't care, you can stop right here [:'(]

I made the mistake of showing up on a Sunday, even though I swore I'd never do it again. Main reason was to help my dad get some stick time since it had been a while since he had flown and had a new radio to check set up on. After we and other pilots worked for 2 hours to find the knucklehead who left their flag up on his channel, we finally got one ground check session in, waited for the other poor guy who had been waiting all day to fly, and got one short flight in before he had to leave. Typical Sunday crap, and not what I am writing this for.

The real rub was what happened after that. I was waiting for my channel to open up for about an hour or so and finally went to see who had their flag up. Turns out that it was the club president!!!! Apparently he was helping some newbies and let them use his flag. As I inquired about the channel being available soon, he offhandely said "just pull it". Now, I'm all for new blood in the hobby and all, but I think this would have been an IDEAL time to instruct them on flag procedures and common courtesy. That apparently didn't happen in this case!

The dinger is that it didn't just happen once, but all day long!!! As soon as me and the heli guy on the same channel would fly and PULL OUR FLAGS when we were done, these new guys ran up with the Pres.'s flag and would hog it till someone went over to politely ask if they were done...again. The newbies finally got the hint and actually would let us know when they were done towards the afternoon, but not because there was any good example set by the person who has the most responsibility and authority to do so....aaaaarrrrgghhhh!

But then again, the Pres. happily watched some guy fly his electric heli through the pits within a couple of feet of people's heads so that he could impress us all with his ability to land on a table. The pres. and 2 other authoritative looking fellows sporting Valley Fliers shirts went over to talk to him, but it was apparently to commend him on his stick skills, rather than to remind him of the totally unsafe manner in which he flew his egg beater. This was confirmed later in the day when the guy did the same thing again while aforementioned club reps watched and smiled.

So...I gotta just say....WHAT THE HELL??? [X(] If we want to continue to enjoy this flying site, we need the people who have been voted into prominent positions to set a good example!!! I know nobody wants the thankless job of field officer at a site where a large number of the users think the AMA is a medical organization, but come on guys! At least the Jet guys get some respect from the other fliers. Seems like the smell of kerosene suddenly makes people act like regular humans. Maybe next time I'll bring a hurricane lamp and burn some kero by my pit to see if it really works! It won't be on a Sunday though....you guys can have them, and good luck to you....you'll need it!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The club Pres., George Finch, usually flies on Saturday mornings, are you sure it was him? He does tend to read this forum so I'm sure an e-mail alert should get a response from him.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 PM

Hey BB,

I don't like to name names since this site goes all over the world, but I do know who the president is. I hope he understands that it's not a personal attack, but more of a suggestion to try and do the right thing if you will. I'm also quite sure that I'm not the only person who noticed this happening.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all of you who have been waiting for "Karma" to catch up with crazy Eric .....
...today was your day!

While flying his trainer all over the field today like a maniac he decided to make a pass through the electric area and collided with a small foamy....[:@] it was actually quite spectacular given the size of the foamy. If you think you can fly right through a foamy and keep on going you'd be wrong!.... Eric's plane went down real hard, foamy was in a million pieces. Amazingly however all electronics that were in the foamy were ok...Eric's plane is in the trash ......I'm sure he'll be back with another one soon!

p.s....Was it Eric who was flying his electric helicopter in the pits...he does it all the time!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Hellcat - I hear ya.
It's been said before, the best thing about the basin is nobody is in charge, and the worst thing about the basin is nobody is in charge. If the new signs ever get up, I hope the number for Dial A Prayer is on them.
How long can luck be with us?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
My Feedback: (15)

I wonder if Eric offered to replace the foamie he hit. ?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:44 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Eric and all the other ARF 110 hotroders dont cry when an ARF is lost[sm=lol.gif] they just get another one to terrorize us with!!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 AM

You bring up 2 good points. Number one, all frequency flags should have the users name and picture on it so when some knuckle head decides he owns the freqency for 2 hours, you don't have to walk thru the pits shouting "56, 56" as if you were at In-N-Out burger handing out orders.

As for flying electric helis into the pits, nothing will change until someone is injured.

Eric has been repeatedly advised that his flying "style" is a hazard but just doesn't seem to care or get it. Eric doesn't believe bad things can happen. I cringe every time he flies that thing on the grass apron with little kids sitting on the grass. It is merely a matter of time....

I am hardpressed to believe nothing can be done to stop this extremely dangerous practice. I have the utmost respect for the Valley Fliers and their officers but I do think this needs to be addressed and addressed immediately. At the minimum, the park ranger needs to be repeatedly warned of this practice so when the disaster strikes, we are on record as having repeatedly tried to halt it. You haven't lived until your heli has thrown a link and suddenly becomes a whirling death machine. As for his midair, I have no doubt he will accuse the foamie guy of intentially hitting him.

alan
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 PM

Billy....they never spoke to one another. The two planes were around 100 ft apart once they hit the ground. The foamy was flying exactly where he was supposed to (right around their dirt runway). The wind blew the pieces of the foamy in one direction and eric's plane stayed up for a couple seconds headed in the opposite direction. It took the foamy guy (older gentlemen) and his friend quite a while to find all the parts to the foamy, the parts had blown north into the tall weeds. Eric took the electronics and engine out of the trainer, threw the plane in the trash and went home. eric was gone before the foamy guy's had recovered all the parts from their plane. I would not expect Eric to offer to pay even if he hit someone's plane parked in the pits.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 PM

Is there any truth to the rumor that this could be Billy's next project?

alan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56433.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	523451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18064.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	523452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76243.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	523453  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan, rumor has it that this is just his prototype before he scales up to his 33% version

Corey, 3 more days![8D]
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Now that's scale!!! by the way I have been flying the Zipper, when no 110's are in the air. Scott, I will be there if I can!

Thanks for the pics, Brad.

Name:	Mk26382.jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	523754  
Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 PM

ORIGINAL: outssider

I would not expect Eric to offer to pay even if he hit someone's plane parked in the pits.
Eric's attitude right here -

About a year ago Eric was flying his usual figure eight, which includes playing chicken with himself - waiting until the last second as the plane comes right at him and then pulling the elevator. Part of this eight is against the pattern, and on this particular day was very busy.
After he came in, I said to him, "Isn't that crazy, flying against the pattern like that?"

His reply - "Ah, if they hit, they hit."
Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I don't have a problem with Eric. Sure he is in his own world, seems a bit spoiled and has had enough well documented blow-ups with others that we know he can be an ass. On the other hand he is a heck of a good pilot, doesn't hog the channel, is very predicatable when he flies and is fun to watch. For the amount of time he spends at the field you'd think he would have killed someone by now or had many more mid airs but the truth is he hasn't. We could waste more bandwidth *****ing and moaning about him but thats just because it's easier than looking at some of the real problems at the field.

Someone mentioned they are worried when he flies near children sitting on the grass. I'm worried that there are parents who let their kids sit on the flightline at all.

You are worried about mid-airs? I've had several mid-airs and two were with very capable pilots with nice planes, I'm more worried about a guy with a trainer zoning out in the pattern and hitting me than I am about Eric.

Speaking of the guy with a trainer....you have a better chance of getting shot down by some newbie who doesn't know about flags than having a problem with Eric. Not to mention getting hit by that same trainer especially in the hands of some of the so called "instructors" out at the field.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon with you guys because Eric is old news and just part of the scene as far as I'm concerned. He is a known comodity that I can deal with. It's the unkowns (and unknowing) that I am concerned about.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 AM

BB you have a valid point...yet there is one very important detail we all forget when we fly..."OUR ELECTRONICS" as we all know there are very delicate electronics inside the planes i.e. receivers and servos and the radios, perhaps any part can go wrong and cause the plane to lose control resulting in a very unfortunate ending...I don’t mean to bash on Eric, as you said he is a good pilot and he does respect the flag policy yet he does not calculate the risk that is involved and the kind of danger he may cause by his thoughtless actions, the trainers are much worst since they are oblivious to the danger of the sport.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:32 PM

I don't really have a problem with Eric's flying either, I just won't fly while he's up. What irritates me is that he'll come up while i'm already flying. There is just no way I can focus with him doing those figure 8's while he is playing chicken with himself! He cuts the grass right over his own head which means he is over/heading into, the flight line. I have even tried walking all the way over to the extreme north end of the flight line [>:]...no hope !!...... I also won't fly when Romin is flying his warbird and he knows this. The difference here is that Romin also will not come up if he sees me flying, not only that but he will discourage other warbirds from coming up while I am up. I know that my style of flying also irritates some pilots, i know who many of them are and I won't fly when they are up. If someone comes up while i'm flying and complains, i figure that they were the ones that came up while I was up so they can see what they are in for.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:44 PM

Hey guys...I'm sorry to say that it wasn't Eric flying his heli that day in the pits, though it sure fits his MO. I find it quite amusing that he has switched over to trainers. Heck, he even brought a partially repaired Dago Red ARF to sell that day. At least his wepaon of choice is a little slower these days. And even though he's a nut. he at least has enough functional brain cells to pull his flag.

Hope to see you guys at the GSS event Sunday. Since I don't have any GS stuff flying now, I'll be the guy that left my plane at home...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 PM

I wish! That plane is bad ass, to bad we here in America have to stay under 75lbs otherwise it might just be. No my next projest will be something a bit more tame in size. I am ordering the 108" SU-27 by Aviation Designs. thinking about the Ukrainian Air Force scheme. I need something to dog fight my F-15 and kick its arce.

Name:	Sq46520.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	524137  
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 AM

ohhhh.....that's going to be a pain-in-th-ass to paint....[:@]
Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 PM

Painting might just be the easy part. The detail I plane to give to the skin will look like this. The entire model will be covered in scale panel lines, rivets, hatches and access panels. Too bad we don't really get a winter here. I have been following a guy named Harold Huff in Germany who is building a 12' + long su-27. The detail he put into it is unlike any other model I have ever seen. Since his kit will probably not be available for some time, I figured I could do the same on a bit smaller model. Should be a fun one.

Name:	Sq47975.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	524423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94585.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	524424  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Oops, sorry bout the double pic post.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody know where to get smoke oil on a saturday or might have some I can bum tomorrow? I need to test my smoke system and I thought I had some.

Thanks in advance,

Old 09-16-2006, 12:29 AM

Hey Matt, I have 2 quarts . It is all yours. I'll leave it in front of my house tomorrow as I have to work.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That SU project is incredible, makes me want to learn more about plug making. Are you going to do it the way he is by creating a highly detailed plug, or are you going to be detailing directly onto the model? Will you use litho or aluminum tape/Flitemetal? Please post photos of your progress!! I picked up some litho from a printer out in Chatsworth, but I really don't have any metalworking skills(yet). All I've done with it so far is the seat in my Spitfire.

Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.