Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

The new date for the Hemet Model Masters scale fly in, is Oct.21 -a Saturday. there are some builders in that club.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, when is Tony's Electric Fun Fly going to be held, i know it's sometime in November, but when exatly?

Gene
Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
TIA

Hi all!

I've got a race coming up and I've never been to the field. I'd like to get some practice laps in so can someone give me directions how to get to Sepulveda Basin from Orange County? Say where the 60 fwy and the 57 cross.....

Thanks.

Reno
Old 09-25-2006, 12:01 AM

60 west
5 north
134 west
101 west (north)
405 north
Exit Burbank Blvd, Left (west)
Woodley, right (north)
Left turn into park half way up the street.
If you get to Victory Blvd, you went too far

Good luck
Have fun
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
TIA

Thank you!

[8D]
Old 09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Don't forget all you weekend-morning Basinites, there is going to be racing both saturday and sunday this weekend. It's not on the schedule beacuse they were supposed to be held at whittier until their mishap a while back...

Old 09-25-2006, 03:02 PM

What time will the field be closed?

I am normally there from 6.30am

Paul
Old 09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
My Feedback: (15)

What was the mishap at Whitter?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 PM

Wasn't it something like some idiot was flying where he wasn't supposed to be flying and the park ranger came over and advised him as such and then the moron tries to tell the park ranger she doesn't know what she was talking about? And of course, the park ranger points out to the guy she has a badge and he doesn't so it gets shut down.

or something like that

alan
Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Great seeing Alan up at FJR! He is doing fine! They even bought him a shirt and hat!

What a man, what a mad wamma jammma! We miss you down here!

Have a good time all ya racers this weekend! Don't lip off to our cops or you won't be home for dinner!lol!

Joe
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Something like that...i don't have the full details, but i heard the sheriff came by during an IMAC even due to some complaints of high-altitude flight. the sheriff was given attitude and and the result was no more events the rest of the year. I'm not sure if it was the sheriff's doing, or the club's doing in shutting down the events.

On top of that, rumor has it that there will be little (if any at all) help from the san gabriel club but they want half the profits!!! It doesn't add up...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Oct 1 according to the events calender of the VF @ GSS, is a planned Electric Fun Fly?????????????????????
Old 09-25-2006, 08:08 PM

This sounds like trouble. They piss in there own bed and know they want the dry sheets of the Apollo field. If were bailing them out they shouldn't be taking a piece of the pie. It's our field with a majority of own guys doing the work. Half, I don't think so. That's my opinion.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Gregg,
I talked to Tony N. the other day and he said they got cancelled until November.

ORIGINAL: gregg f

Oct 1 according to the events calender of the VF @ GSS, is a planned Electric Fun Fly?????????????????????

I got to agree Billy, if they want half then do ALL the work and CLEAN up TOO!~).

ORIGINAL: Philo

This sounds like trouble. They piss in there own bed and know they want the dry sheets of the Apollo field. If were bailing them out they shouldn't be taking a piece of the pie. It's our field with a majority of own guys doing the work. Half, I don't think so. That's my opinion.
Joe
Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Why don't you guys go to a club meeting and voice your opinion. I'm sure Packfar has somethiong to say about it. By the way, how many events have you guys helped out with? Are you even members of the club?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM

I believe the story was like this.

Someone was flying their aircraft and the Sheriff came along in his helicopter and noticed that the plane was above him. He then landed on the field and had a chat with the gent. A nice and friendly chat - no bad feelings. But then the club president butted in and gave the Sherriff a mouth full. The sheriff then politely warned the prez to stay out of it or else. well i guess push came to shove so to speak and the sheriff called in the big guns and they shut down all events.

Or something like that.

George - San Fernando Valley Radio Control Flyers prez will tell it better than I.

Paul
Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 PM

Hey there BB don't even go down that little road. I have every right to voice my opinion on this and I don't have to go to any meetings to do so. I don't even have to sit around on any given Sat. and count laps of little quick planes nor do I have to sit at a table and collect tickets for some combo lunch. I am a member of the VF and more so a member of the GSS. I show up early to help set up and I always stay till the end to help if needed. I knew when I wrote my post that you would have some smart ass comment to say, And yes I am taking this a bit personal. I'm not going to get into this any more that I already have. If you have anything else to say You know where to find me. Some of us have jobs that do not allow us the freedom of going to these meetings and to be quite honest with you I don't think I would anyway. I would love to take the problems that we have at the feild and solve them overnite but unfortunatly the way things get done with the VF, It takes for ever.Anyways, that is a whole different story and has no relation to the current issue. I simply think another club is asking for too much of the pie. You have you right to speak whatever you want on this forum but don't make it like I don't pay my dues.There are different types of people when I comes to the "volunter world" some donate time, others money, and some wisdom. I have always made it clear my personnal business is there for the field and my physical labor extends to all at the field including the field itself. It's sad because I always though of you as a friend but If you want to call me out, well you did. Billy
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Billy we are friends and so is Joe. My comments were directed to both of you. Go back and reread what I wrote, I don't think I called you out or said you don't have a right to post an opinion. I think it's wrong for us to add yet another racing event and agree that the other club shouldn't get anything for it. I didn't know you are a member of the VF but I do know Joe isn't. Helping out at the GS events is very worthwhile also. I think we should all be more involved especially come election time when Packfar will be running for Pres. I think Barry and George have done a fine job but I also think there should be more events that the average club member is interested in and less weekends devoted to racing.

Now just so you don't think I'm back-peddling I did wonder about your membership status and involvment and after your guy's comments I thought I had a right to ask. I havn't been all that involved this year myself but I do think we all owe a little.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 AM

I agree. It is our field, and the way things are today we need to be ever vigalent in protecting it. I just got upset when you commented to go to a meeting or help at event. I do , but even if I didn't it still would say what i said because I'm trying to protect the Basin. For whatever reason the other club lost there field make me think it could easily happen to ours especailly since we are so close to Van Nuys airport. Besides simple math. They don't supply half the help, they don't get half the money.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:17 AM

I have to say that Richard, Billy and Joe have all helped me with multple LA Jets and night fly Events.
After reading the posts,it is obvious to me that all three of you have the best interest of the field
and the Club in mind and I want to thank you for that.
This race was supposed to be held at some other location but some of the respected club
members provoked an unnessesary confrontation with the authorities "FAA" that ultimately lost their privilage
of holding their club events for the rest of the year.
Per their club Charter and AMA, the sanctions were distributed between multple local AMA Chartered clubs and
unfortunately we ended up with one of them.
I will have to find out more detail about how the money for this event will be handled but I would have to agree with Billy
on the financial side of it.
The only source of income for any and all field improvements are the money the events make.
I beleive that The valley Flyers should be in the business of fund raising"ONLY FOR THE BASIN".
It has been an expensive year.
The new Tables were $2500.00.. So far the Electric area has cost the club $4100.00. and there is another $7500.00 estimated work that I will attempt to finish before the end of the year.
Today I paid the %50 deposit payment for the signs that will be delivered in 2 weeks.
The total for that is $5150.00.
It is important to voice your opinion wether you are a VF member or not.
Please take ownership of your own flying field and make a difference.

All the Best
JasonP

Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Many of you may not know me, my name is Mike Rutherford and my father (RIP)Joe Rutherford.
I have been going to the basin since I was 8 years old, the road was dirt, and sometimes coverd with oil to cut down on the dust. Woodley did not pass through the basin nor did Burbank. When you enterd you were reminded of our armed forces, as you passed the niki missle base on your left.

In the past year have started to fly again. While I was preparing my first plane I had heard several horror stories about flying on the weekends. Seems as though your not supposed to if you value your plane. I found this not to be true. In general I found it to be very much as it has always been out there. For the most part I have met some great new folks, Billy, Jason, Richard in the heli group, and several electric folks.

I am impressed overall with the Field, although it sure would be nice to have thoose weeds cut back further at the north end.
It would also be nicer if the Electric flyers could see signage that clarly states were they should be flying from, exception, thoose who need to use the runway, and they would need to adhere to general flight path when using it.

Thats my 2 cents worth of what I see out there these days.

Personally I would like to see the VF try to bring pattern contests back to the field. I noticed there was not one event this year.
Did that just vanish?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM

Mike, welcome to the thread. To answer some of your comments....

If you are ever at the field when it is being mowed just ask the guy to make an extra pass at the North end or even bring a weed whacker out with you and chop some of it down, nobody will mind.

Signs stateing proper field usage are being made as we type.

Pattern and Aerobatic compititions are hard to hold at the Basin because of the altitude restrictions, that's the reason for the majority of events being pylon racing. That plus the long history of racing at the field, it was originally designed by the Smith brothers and others specifically for that reason.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonP

Per their club Charter and AMA, the sanctions were distributed between multple local AMA Chartered clubs and
unfortunately we ended up with one of them.

Huh? How does that work? Sounds to me like we took on an event without the normal due process?

Just what WAS the process that we (VF) used to decide that we should take on these events? I asked that at the last club meeting and I am not sure I understood the answer I got? Sounded to me something like "well they can't have it there so we will have it here". Still does not answer the question.

If I had been asked for a vote or got a chance to tell the board my feeleings I would say that Whittier screwed up and we should not close the field on another precious weekend....a closure that will further erode our relations with the general public (non VF members and non racing pilots, etc).

I feel we have too many specialized events.

Nothing personal Jason, and I know you knew that already.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Really? the Smith bros. had a hand in designing the field? Chuck Smith was my #1 mentor when I started to fly. that is his PBJ in the Instacure CA ads in the magazines.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Hi Matt
What you are asking is a different question altogether than what we are talking about but I think you have a point.
The standard fun fly events that are not specialized do no bring much revenue. I must add that some of the races
also fall under the same category. I've been trying to collect some data to narrow down which events provide us with maximum results
with minimum resource allocation.
For instance, The 2 Jet events that are in fact highly specialized made more than 30% of the total income of the club and have taken 4 days of the entire year.
And it only takes 5 people to run them.
Also they produce a good chunk of donations from our turbine members. "A little over $2000.00
The concession stand does very well due to high spectator turnout also.
The Helli event is also in the same category.
You are right about this shift in the field schduele being conducted outside of the norm but you have to realise that this problem did not occur
on November of 2005 so it could not have gone through the standard process of pulling sanctions & permit.
You as a standard member do not get to vote on the specifics of the event. This is the Job of your elected board member and is subject ti
the standard voting process.
I have written numerous posts in this thread about people stepping forward and talk about what type of events they
would like to see out there. The responces have been less than favorable.
The bottom line is that in order to see things going our way, we need to be more interactive with the club and our elected board members.

BTW: I always welcome your opinion and suggestion even if they are in the form of critisism.

All the Best
Jason P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.