Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 09-26-2006, 04:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

Really? the Smith bros. had a hand in designing the field? Chuck Smith was my #1 mentor when I started to fly. that is his PBJ in the Instacure CA ads in the magazines.
All I know is I wanna be just like scale dail when I grow up
Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonP

BTW: I always welcome your opinion and suggestion even if they are in the form of critisism.
Same here, I am always glad to talk to someone who cares about the field and puts a real commitment behind the talk.

Maybe this is not that big of a deal (unless you are an electric guy), Sunday was scheduled to be shutdown anyway. Are Saturday and Friday shutdown as well?

And is this the only race we took over or is there another?

Thanks,

Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM

I think they are only for Saturday and Sunday. I am planning to fly at the Basin on Friday.
I beleive this is the only race but I will ask the question at the club meeting tonight and post it later on.

JasonP
Old 09-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Hey guys,

Not sure if my rambling will makes sense,

I am a new flyer (electric) and a new member - I believe in the club and respect their wishes. I am also aware of the politics that go on around the field as in what (pit) area is for Warbirds and for scale and so on. I try and stay well out of the powered (flying) area but quite often a powered plane comes tearing through the electric area and freaks us out, but we just go whoa,, I have also been informed that we are allow to fly over the large grass area between Woodley and the runway when things are quite - I have yet to do that. I do feel that sometimes the eclectic flyers are treated like the forgotten people - but we also believe in the hobby like everyone else.
I normally fly only on Sunday from 6.30am to 10.00am and do not mind when there are events as I get to see so many different aircraft.

Paul
Old 09-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Hi paul
Thank you for your input
You can find the details of the park rules at the following web site.

http://www.californiajets.org

Look at the "Park Flyers Sign"

I have to let you know that the valley flyers has put a great ammount of attention to the electric area
this year.
You will see in time that the entire electric area will be developed to accomodate you guys.
The biggest thing is that electric airplanes 16 Oz and lower are to fly at the noth end of the field "Park Flyers"
All else need to be treated just like the power planes. Using the Taxi way and the main runway for all flights.
In the Park Flyer area, the airspace is limited to stricktly the north end of the field. 50 feet from the main Pitt area and
100 feet from the edge of the runway.
Please don't hesitate to ask one of the board members if we can be of assistance.
You can find our contact numbers at:
http://www.valleyflyers.com

All the Best
Jason Pakfar
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Thanks Jason I have seen the signs and they are great.

The added goodies for the electric area was fantastic I actuallty was helping hold the post digger as the shade area was being put in place and the power terminals arrived when I had My first flight and are a brilliant idea. A lot of people don't appreciate the effort that goes into doing that.

Please don't think of my last post a a rant. I have viewed many other posts of flying venues from around the world and I can tell that VF is a world class and first class area.

I have seen some crazy flying while I have been waiting for my batteries and wonder why those people don't see that they are creating trouble.
I have also seen that common sence prevails here - If they sky is too busy - I will not fly - safety for myself and others.

I talk to many people while I am there and have made many new friends and also recieved very valuable advise.
I hope to help out when I can an when my kids are a little older. Oh - My eldest already wants to fly - she met Tony (Blacksheep squadron) when she was five and love the idea. She is now six and has been comming to the field as often as possible.
I normally go to the monthly meetings but will not be there tonight as there is a parent teacher meeting.

Paul
Old 09-27-2006, 04:54 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Totally off topic, but does anyone know of a model boat builder in the area. Any leads would be helpful. I have a large tug that needs to be completed.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Don't know of anyone personally - but I do remember someone at the field mention they used to build large scale warships with gas operated guns. Maybe one of the other guys will know his name.

Paul
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 PM

PHILO PM sent.

Also I got my directions mixed up, that is I pit at the North end of the field with my Exceleron 50.

Mike R
Old 09-29-2006, 11:04 PM

GregF?
Where is that video?

JasonP
Old 09-30-2006, 12:37 AM
My Feedback: (20)

GregF?
Where is that video?

JasonP
It's [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=da9c6fb5ba83c7a7ebea]Here[/link]
Old 09-30-2006, 03:23 AM

Very nice guys.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Good work Gregg! The sky was so nice it looked like a backround from a simulator of something. Smooth Rons landing was the nicest I have every seen. I wanted him to go back out and do that EXACT landing 100 times over and lock it in. Jason is the king of boomerango, he boomerangs like no other and treats them better than anyones brother!

joe
Old 09-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Eventful day this afternoon...in less then an hour 4 CRASHES[:@] and one plane lost control kept flying loops [&:][&:][&:]until past the park after that couldn’t see it any more…
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The piggy-back crash was quite a show too!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:34 PM

seems like i missed agood show.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:37 AM

I got there about 4:30 myself and saw 4 planes go in as well. At this rate the field should be open by 1pm.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:16 PM

I dropped by after the event and had a perfect 30 -45 mins of flying as the sun set. Wow, cruising round while the sky is glowing red with the sunset and no other planes in sight is beautiful.

Paul
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 AM

So how many pilots signed up for this event? Anyone know?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi Matt
51 Pilots entered the event. The event made about $2000.00
We politely negotiated %50 of the profit.
There was a race scheduled on october 15th from whittier.
That has also been rejected and will not be held at the Basin.

BTW: Thanks for the cool video Gregg.

All the Best
Jason Pakfar
Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 AM

I politely negotiated %50 of the profit.
Nice work.

There was a race scheduled on october 15th from whittier.
That also got rejected and will not be held at the Basin.

Even better :-)

Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I was going to enter the event on Oct.15 and I'm glad it was cancelled rather than move it to the Basin. The place is a public park after all and no amount of volunteering or participation should give anyone a sense of entitlement when it comes to using the field. Even people who fly there every day and think they have more of a right to do as they please need to check themselves because it doesn't belong to anyone individual or group. I sometimes forget this myself.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM

no amount of volunteering or participation should give anyone a sense of entitlement
The Park belongs to all of us.
It is not a question of entitlement and
entitlement does not go hand in hand with volunteering and participation.
It is not responsible to sum them up in 1 short and sweet sentence.
In fact,It is the absence of involvement that is the direct Cause.

Cheers
Jason Pakfar
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM

I forgot there was and event this past weekend and arrived at around 2.pm with my daughter - was bummed a bit but stayed and watched for a while (cool to see it in action - don't think I'll get to Reno real soon) and then returned at sunset and had an amazing experience, flying at dusk is so peaceful.

I love flying at the Basin and I think we all need to remember - without events, there would be no basin. It takes money and effort to keep it running.

Some of the park politics may go astray every now and then, but after seeing the recent improvements to the field I can see the money is going to a great cause.

Paul
Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM

I know a lot of people hate to see the Basin shut down for events. However, my fellow racers and I REALLY appreciate having a place to race. There are so few venues in the country that have enough space, the facilities, and a host club with enough manpower. Many racers travel great distances for a chance to race, there's so few places we can do it.

Racing has always had a large following here in Southern California. In fact, the current Basin layout was designed specifically with that purpose in mind. As has been previously posted, much of the field upkeep and improvements are a result of funds generated by races and other events.

The Basin is for everyone and I completely sympathize with the sport flyers that get shut down on event weekends. Regarding the upcoming October 15th race... I believe it's on and has been moved back to Whittier. I understand the VF decided to not hold it at the Basin so we wouldn't have to shut down the sport flyers for another weekend day.

Anyway, from all the racers: Thank You! >> Thank you volunteers who work so hard and thank you Valley Flyers.... and a big thank you to all the displaced sport flyers for your understanding.

Clark
[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.