Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: Philo

Hey Pllove ,CiprianGugu . Why don't you get the facts before you come on here and start runn'n your mouths. Our president, Jason Pakfar has already made contact with Jim Drew. Jim was told that ,if he wanted he was more than welcome to come over and do some testing at the Sepulveda Basin and find out what the reason is. Second of all, I don't know of any problems that involved S.S. ot 72. I fly out there twice a week on both systems myself. The basin is a public field owned by the City of Los Angeles. It can get pretty busy there on a weekend. I don't know of any group of flyers who would be more open minded to a system that prevents getting shot down than the basin guys. We have had 5 guys use the XPS system at the basin and 5 have failed at on point or another. So don't come on here defending a system that you don't have experience with locally and by the way we already contacted AMA, and there response was very grateful that our club has put SAFTEY first. SO you say BANN all the systems, ARE YOU A MORON OR SOMETHING. They work at the basin, XPS doesn't. If you don't fly here it really doesn't concern you so stop trying to stir the pot.

Billy Edwards
Valley Flyers Turbine Director

I was not stirring the pot, attacking/flaming anyone. I was just asking what methods were taken to determine that the XPS system was the root cause. I checked back seeveral pages in this forum and found none before I posted. Sorry to offend anyone asking for facts and details about what was done to determine the cause of the issues at your field. Having a BS in Electronics I was just curious. Yes as a owner of an XPS system I thought an open discussion trying to find the root cause would be welcomed. Instead I just got attacked.

This is how everyone learns. Discussing troubleshooting efforts. Just replacing 1 rx for another in my book is not a good troubleshooting method. I understand the saftey concern. If there are politics going on that is another story and I could care less about it. That is a local field issue. However discussing troubleshooting interference issues benefits all people looking at this forum thread.

Sorry to offend anyone.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Pllove ,CiprianGugu . Why don't you get the facts before you come on here and start runn'n your mouths. Our president, Jason Pakfar has already made contact with Jim Drew. Jim was told that ,if he wanted he was more than welcome to come over and do some testing at the Sepulveda Basin and find out what the reason is. Second of all, I don't know of any problems that involved S.S. ot 72. I fly out there twice a week on both systems myself. The basin is a public field owned by the City of Los Angeles. It can get pretty busy there on a weekend. I don't know of any group of flyers who would be more open minded to a system that prevents getting shot down than the basin guys. We have had 5 guys use the XPS system at the basin and 5 have failed at on point or another. So don't come on here defending a system that you don't have experience with locally and by the way we already contacted AMA, and there response was very grateful that our club has put SAFTEY first. SO you say BANN all the systems, ARE YOU A MORON OR SOMETHING. They work at the basin, XPS doesn't. If you don't fly here it really doesn't concern you so stop trying to stir the pot.

Billy Edwards
First of all, as stated above, I have NOT been contacted by ANYONE...period, not the president, not the CD (you), not anyone. This is the first that I have seen that it has even been claimed that I was contacted. Secondly, your accounts of XPS systems are not accurate. Do you know how many people are actually using them there? We know of dozens ourselves, and many of those are reporting here. We also know of people who have crashed there with other 2.4GHz systems... this thread is bringing those people out to tell their stories. We are getting bombarded with emails about this subject, and guess what? We haven't called anyone a MORON OR SOMETHING, because that is simply unnecessary and uncalled for. Stating "They work at the basin, XPS doesn't" is not only inaccurate, it is libel.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall our President claiming there is proof about anything in particular. What was said is that there have been 4 recent issues with the xps system at the basin, and in light of that, the club will be banning it's use at the upcoming club sponsored jet rally only. Though I personally don't know, I would l be surprised if all 5 incidences occurred with just the 9Z. Also, the club, and the jet rallies do not have any company sponsors. We raise our funds through dues, events, such as the jet rally, and concessions at these events. The basin is a public field owned by the city of Los Angeles and is located in the middle of the densely populated San Fernando Valley. We have worked with the P&R dept. to post general rules at this location, however, the only time the club can enforce any rule is at a events for which the club receives a permit and the field is closed to the general public. As have been stated earlier, the Basin is the LAST location in the LA area where jets are still allowed to fly. It's in the interest of those that fly jets (which I do not) to take steps to prevent incidences, such as a crash on the heavily traveled Woodly Ave., from occurring. If that means banning a particular product from a club sanctioned event, then that's what should happen. The club is not, cannot, ban the XPS use by the general public. The club is not recommending it's ban by anyone, except for those that will be flying at the club sanctioned jet rally. Whether the underlying problem is with XPSs problem or Futaba is of no consequence if the combination of the two has a problem. The club cannot control what people purchase, it can only control issues at it's own events which could potentially threaten the ability to fly jets at the last venue available in the greater LA area. This thread, being specifically for the discussion of issues at the Sepulveda basin, makes it an appropriate place to post last minute news to those who will will be participating at a club event being held at this field.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM

If the field is in that close a poximity to a heavily traveled roadway and with a 200' ceiling wouldnt the safe thing to do be to ban jets. Doesnt seem like a very safe situation to me. Certainly sounds to me like someone is being singled out, given that statements made seem to be defending the clubs actions based on the fact that its not a safe place to have issues. Seems rather ironic to me.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 PM

The field has a 400' ceiling.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 PM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: JimDrew

Billy Edwards
First of all, as stated above, I have NOT been contacted by ANYONE...period, not the president, not the CD (you), not anyone. This is the first that I have seen that it has even been claimed that I was contacted. Secondly, your accounts of XPS systems are not accurate. Do you know how many people are actually using them there? We know of dozens ourselves, and many of those are reporting here. We also know of people who have crashed there with other 2.4GHz systems... this thread is bringing those people out to tell their stories. We are getting bombarded with emails about this subject, and guess what? We haven't called anyone a MORON OR SOMETHING, because that is simply unnecessary and uncalled for. Stating "They work at the basin, XPS doesn't" is not only inaccurate, it is libel.
Tell me the name of someone who flies jets at the basin who has not had any problems with your system.

"Libel" ??????? How can what I say be libel when 5 out of 5 people have either lost their jet or almost lost it. That is a FACT. Since the beginning I have been talking of people who are flying jets.

And like Saramos said, your system was banned from LA Jets because we do not want to take a chance that either a plane goes in and starts a fire or someone gets hurt. I don't know what is sooo hard to believe about the saftey issue. That is all that was behind it. No agenda, PERIOD.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

So what is being said, is the only 2.4 radio crashes at this particular field, are XPS systems, and there is absolutly, no doubt, the radio system was the culprit.
Am I correct?

Again, is what I read here correct?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 AM

I don't think anyone has said that there is no doubt as to the problem. I do know there are a lot of users of other 2.4 systems. Unlike what's being discussed here, I've only heard a couple of second hand reports of problems. I personally have experienced issues with a particular 72MHz system which I had high hopes for since it was the first channel selectable system on the market. Many others (on RCU) have also reported the same problem. I used to be a big proponent of the system, but I've quit using it and will no longer recommend it to others. There are some areas of the field that many have claimed to be 'bad spots' over the years, but these reports were anecdotal at best. Being the field is a public field and the club does not have authority to ban or sanction anyone outside of a club event which the club has obtained a permit to close the field to the general pubic, there has always been an issue with frequency control. First with the advent of synthesized channel selection, and now with 2.4Ghz systems, there is a lot of interest in these systems as they can help to eliminate accidental or, in the case of one particular individual (before I flew here), intentional shootdowns. People like Billy, Jason, Joe and others have been early adopters and unofficial testers in pursuit of more stable systems, particularly in high performance aircraft of all types, not just jets. The basin IS one of the most unique venues in RC. The Valley Fliers has been, and is the biggest moving force for maintenance improvements and safety here. I think that many who have not visited or flown at the basin can't fully grasp the issues and nature of the the field. Though still unlikely, it would not surprise me if this becomes the first location where the limit of, what is it?, 40 concurrent 2.4 systems in operation at one time, is reached. There are 4 separate areas of operation. At the north end is the electric area. It has become wildly popular, particluarly since the City prohibits the flight of any type of planes including park fliers, at any other location, including all parks in the entire city. There is the main field, with it's 650' paved runway on the west side, which allows for the operation of all aircraft 16 oz and above. To the south end are the two paved heli pads. These were originally created for control line. And finally, on the west side are the current two control line pads. 2.4 systems are commonly used in all three of the RC areas.

Scott
Old 08-04-2007, 01:10 AM
My Feedback: (15)

By the way I heard Ron Russel was at the field the other day. I guess he did have his major back surgery and that's why I haven't seen him. Glad to hear he is doing well and well enough to come out to the field.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Gentlemen
My Name is Jason Pakfar. I am the president of the San Fernando Valley Flyers, Inc. We are a not for profit organization. With AMA charter #152 we are the second oldest club in the California.
Our club consists of over 250 members and a 16 member board of Directors.Regular elections for club officers are held every November.We hold over 30 Sanctioned events per year. All donations and event proceedings goes back into the field.
The Club has spend upward of $100,000.00 on a new runway about 5 years ago.
The club has been in the business of protecting the field and the public safety for the past 57 years and this is exactly what we are doing.The City of Los Angeles depends on us to closely work with them to maintain a safe and functional environment The deceisions are made by the board of directors and we communicate these deceisions to all club members via email, Newsletter and club meetings.. No one else but the Valley Flyers Club Members, and people who subscribe to our publications have received these emails from us.
We have not posted any specific post on any other thread but the Sepulveda Basin and LA Jets thread. 1 other in rc groups which consists of a link to the original declaration in Sepulveda Basin Thread.
I have no pesonal feeling for Mr. Drew one way or the other.This is not a conspiracy. We do not have any commercial interest for one product to the next.
Though it is logical to believe that all radio systems are bound to have problems this particular system has had a much higher ratio of reported failiures AT OUR FACILITY.
Mr Drew, has not done a single constructive approach with us. I have not received a single PM from him.. I did however receive 1 email from him that declares how many "hundreds of thousands of flights" have been performed with the product and how safe the system is. Hardly a proof of product safety at our facility under the circumstances.
No request for engagement of any sort.
The rest has been provocative and threatening gestures on different forums.One being moderated at the LA-Jets pilot roll call thread.
He can certainly take any action he desires but will quickly find out that we are operating well within our rights.
We are open to constructive dialouge by anyone including Mr. Drew. Things do go through a board of directors Vote.
It is very easy to find us. http://www.valleyflyers.com

All The Best
Jason Pakfar
San Fernando Valley Flyers, Inc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42884.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	735264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56754.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	735265  
Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

We have not posted any specific post on any other thread but the Sepulveda Basin and LA Jets thread. 1 other in rc groups which consists of a link to the original declaration in Sepulveda Basin Thread. endquote

Sir: Welcome to the World Wide Web.

Good luck in your hobby!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

hmm this just smacks of the typical turbine pilot arrogance, "i fly jet's, therefore my toys are more expensive than yours, so i'm a much better pilot and i understand how all rc products work better than anyone else so i'm never wrong when it comes to the causes of my accidents, plus i never have dumb thumbs or panic"

also another thing that's coming through is that this is the last field in greater LA that lets these uber pilots fly their expensive toys, and after an embarrassing crash on a public road we better offer something up as a sacrificial lamb before they ban our toys altogether, (which by the sounds of the field in question would be the most sensible thing to do!) so XPS becomes the scapegoat, even though 2 pages back there's a report of a JR SS controlled turbine glider going in, but of course that didn't land on a public road

and as for the 5 "ol faithful" planes that XPS was used in one of them at least was a brand new Cermark F16, i could do more searching to disprove more of the babble in this thread but you blinkered "good ole boys" wouldn't be interested in reading it

anyway good luck with the libel case SFVF, your going to need it!

phil
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Hmm, I guess you haven't been out to the basin recently. While there used to be a jet pilot that fit your description pretty well, I haven't seen him around for the past couple of years. There are some that somewhat fit this description now, just like you can find at any large field, but they don't fly jets.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

I used the XPS Xtremelink 2.4 system yesterday for the first time in my trainer (2.6 Extra). It worked perfectly and was much more connected than PCM 72. 9C module 10 channel receiver. Stellar. I tried everything I could to get it to fail. Easy to program and install. Flawless and solid product. What a great time for our hobby.
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/

Full paying customer with no affiation.

Joe
Here is a SUCCESSFUL use of the XPS system at the Basin from several pages back in this thread.

Post 6119 page 306 in this same thread.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep.....

but it failed a few days later....that's the problem, it works ...sometimes !!...ain't good enough !!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:58 PM

There was a big fire at the basin today during the LA Jets rally. A jet caught fire mid-air and landed in the dry brush over the north end of the field and it erupted into a huge fire. The fire dept had to be called in to put out the fire despite the efforts of a number of pilots to extinguish the fire. I am not sure but it seemed as if the plane was a total loss. I do not know if this will create negative repurcussions for jet fliers there or fliers in general. It is actually surprising that stuff like this doesn't happen more often given how dry that brush is over the approach pattern.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: sportsbeast

There was a big fire at the basin today during the LA Jets rally. A jet caught fire mid-air and landed in the dry brush over the north end of the field and it erupted into a huge fire. The fire dept had to be called in to put out the fire despite the efforts of a number of pilots to extinguish the fire. I am not sure but it seemed as if the plane was a total loss. I do not know if this will create negative repurcussions for jet fliers there or fliers in general. It is actually surprising that stuff like this doesn't happen more often given how dry that brush is over the approach pattern.
So what are they now going to ban for tomorrows flights? 72mhz?, Spektrum?, Futaba FAAST?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Looks like their worst fears happened. with or without X-treme link.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35267.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	735761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71803.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	735762  
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (162)

Ouch!!!!! Glad that wasn't xps related....
Old 08-04-2007, 09:13 PM

And like Saramos said, your system was banned from LA Jets because we do not want to take a chance that either a plane goes in and starts a fire or someone gets hurt. I don't know what is sooo hard to believe about the saftey issue. That is all that was behind it. No agenda, PERIOD
there has always been an issue with frequency control
Looks like you guys are really on top of this whole safety issue. Good luck with that, I just hope you arrogance and narrow minded attitudes dont affect all RC pilots.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 PM

yep.....

but it failed a few days later....that's the problem, it works ...sometimes !!...ain't good enough !!
You sure about that? Some pretty ugly rhetoric going on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2873
Another perfect Xtremelink day yesterday. Cermark F16/wren supersport XPS 9C 10channel rec. 1 maiden flight + 7 flights = one great day! Over 200 minutes on 2.6 meter comp-arf extra not a single problem. Perfect solution for me. My 9C now has life left in it and what a great year this is for RC!~). Thanks Jim.
http://rcuvideos.com/item/C8RZ9LLDT1M40CHX

joe
April 27
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=375
Sorry to interupt, I had another exceptional day flying XL in my jet. Solid and uneventful. It is hard to get used to not putting a flag in and just turning on. Weird and uncomforable. Getting close to 30 flights on this jet and over 200 minutes on my 2.6. Jim needs to get my receivers to me so I can get back to the extra.

Joe
May 4
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=518
Hi Guys,
in brief, I had a lockout with my jet shortly after takeoff. Mushy controls etc then total loss of control. I pulled up my gear switch and off turbine switch as pre-crash procedure. Just as it was about 15' in the air I got it back pushed the nose down and got enough speed for a ok flair, the rough ground and impact messed up my new jet pretty bad but it might fly again today. Fixing all day yesterday and the day before. Test run engine and all systems green. (Wren). Batteries charged, all connections made, radio seemed to work post mortem.
XPS and Jim are well aware of this and have requested my module and receiver to be shipped back. I'll do that today and report back when I find out anything. I had 28 successful flights on this plane with absoulutly no changes at all to my plane or accidents. There was later reports of lockouts and glitches at my field on 72 that day. Not sure about what any of that means as I don't have real equipment and training to measure that other than my BS meter. Whatever happened I am out an airframe even though it may fly, it looks like *****$,
bottom line no one physically got hurt and there was not fire, (normal in some situations.)
I'm bummed about that and that I really though I found a new way to fly and my very very busy field where shoot downs and signal conflicts are the norm. Both my 2.6 and jet are back on futaba PCM for now. Sorry I could not come on sooner, been locked up in the shop.
XPS will get my mod and receiver and was kind enough to cancell my order for 2 receivers. As of right now I don't have a plane that is expendable or confidence to use XL in my jet or gasser.

This is my honest account.

Blue skys and green lights,

Joe Kelley
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Chris - were you there today? How do you know the pilot was flying extremelink? It is odd that you would be so angry without knowing anything about what happened. I was there and saw the whole thing. It didn't appear to be a radio issue to me. The plane caught fire in the air and the pilot tried to bring it back to the runway. He seemed to have control until the end, but the plane was burning.

I do believe that jets are amazing to watch, but dangerous. The fire danger as well as the speed and weight factor clearly present a higher level of risk compared to typical models. As someone who uses the basin regulary for sport flying, I would hate to see a mess like this cause sport flyers to lose a good site or live with more restrictions.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 PM

No I wasnt, I was simply pointing out the flaw in their argument. They want to say it was done in the interest of safety but look what happened anyway. Whether it was radio related or not you cant say you cant use this because we are worried about fire when you fly anyway. Doesnt seem that the concern is about fire to me. But what do I know, I am thousands of miles away
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: chrisF test pilot

But what do I know, I am thousands of miles away
So very true.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
My Feedback: (162)

ORIGINAL: sportsbeast

Chris - were you there today? How do you know the pilot was flying extremelink? It is odd that you would be so angry without knowing anything about what happened. I was there and saw the whole thing. It didn't appear to be a radio issue to me. The plane caught fire in the air and the pilot tried to bring it back to the runway. He seemed to have control until the end, but the plane was burning.

I do believe that jets are amazing to watch, but dangerous. The fire danger as well as the speed and weight factor clearly present a higher level of risk compared to typical models. As someone who uses the basin regulary for sport flying, I would hate to see a mess like this cause sport flyers to lose a good site or live with more restrictions.

I must have missed where Chris said that the pilot flying today was using xps???? My personal opinion is that the xps situation could have been handled better along with the accusations but... I've read off and on about several different incidences over the past couple of years at the basin. From what I remember reading it doesn't look like the safest or better controlled flying fields. Maybe that's changed...

What do they think caused the fire in flight? Maybe the turbine came loose or?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.