Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I heard several people talking about it, so I don't think it is just a rumor.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of a rumor.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
MikeRuth

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Kmot

That beautiful Spitfire got shot down today and suffered extensive damage.

Allegedly, someone selling stuff on the tables outside the scured area had a radio for sale and turned it on. The Spit went in hard.
Let's think about this for a second......

Suppose the guy did turn on and happened to be on the same channel. Chances of the antenna being up 50/50, of the radio even being charged past 30% probably even less. OK so he is 300+ feet from the flight line and the plane is well beyond that. Doubtful that the signal would be swamped enough under those conditions to cause a shoot down.

Now of course anything can happen but these shoot down rumors tend to spread quickly with no verification. Maybe the guy just didn't charge his receiver battery. We will probably never know for sure.

It is a fact that there was a radio outside the pits on a table that was for sale that was turned on. It was on 56 and so was Alan's Spitfire.

Was it turned on intentionaly? Probably not, the seller didn't look smart enough to do that, stupidity ruled this action. Was the radio close enough with the antena down to cause harm?

Sure was Alans spitfire was dead center over the runway on a low slow pass. This put the plane in the proxmity of two signals.
I don't know how charged the offending TX was, but I will tell you this, With my TX on laying on the groun, just 20 feet closer to the flight line than this guys, I brought a plane down to. I knew the person, and we settled up. Point is a TX with the antenna down can very well shoot down another aircraft at those distances. For me thats two I have personaly seen happen.

BTW the local police were called and took reports, I don't know what will happen from there.

Mike R
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there. It's no rumor. He was confronted by many, including the police. He was at the north end, last picnic table. I was working the BBQ and watched it unfold, but could not go over to be able to tell you what was said, or know the final outcome. Actually, there were surprisingly few peddlers this weekend. Heat probably kept them away.

Scott
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

BB - skeptical as always...

Well - I had my back to the flight line when it happened but certainly saw the bird on the ground when I heard it hit. Sad to see as it was a very good model.

The circumstances are hard to beat - by many accounts the spit was flying quite well and Adam's flight scores and position at the end of the event show that.

Maybe his battery was lowish but without the added interference of the additional signal on that channel it is not likely that the spitfire would have crashed but really who is to say about what is likely or not.

The facts remain - an additional tx on channel 56 was found to have been on during the flight of an airplane on that channel which crashed very abruptly. So many witnesses to the event and yet still there are skeptics - makes me wonder if some folks think that shoot downs are the equivalent to the loch ness monster.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basin Bum likes to defend the underdog. In this circumstance, however, he is clearly wrong.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
prangem

Hello All. I am(was) the pilot of THAT spitfire. Let me introduce a bit of factual informaton to this thread. I topped off my 1500 mh S&R battery pack, now two years old, and verified it's voltage to be 6.3 v on an airborne i4-c voltage meter directly before taxi out. Immediatly after take off (a 9.5) I felt the airplane to be out of trim, and not staying in trim once corrected. My third manouver brought me just to the far edge of the runway directly in front of the judges, eh targets, when my plane recieved a full right aileron hit. I must have had an invisible chrome hemi engine glued on my cowl that moment cause I was able to steer the thing back onto the runway, where for a quick second I thought that I was going to save it, but then it got hit again and that was it!
Before we even got it off the runway the announcer was on the P.A. saying there was a radio on in the pits, and that it was on 56.
This was the real deal, and as stated before it was ignorance not malace. Unfortunately, this happens.
BB, I love how you can attack someone for starting a rumor, and on the same post start one yourself. BTW the word is hearsay.
Rumor is a spoiled child who lives in Malibu...just kidding. Adam
Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Check this out. We all know that contests are a great way to share information with our fellow modelers, and also see some of the latest in aircraft and field support equipment.

Now, this is an exclusive photo of THE LATEST in field support equipment. This spy shot was snapped just before the pilot testing it quickly removed and subsequently hid the new field box accessory in an obvious attempt to prevent news of it's testing to be leaked to the public or become the victim of industrial espionage.
Remember, this is a Sepulveda Basin RCU Exclusive!!!

This innovative little number is obviously designed with the discerning modeler in mind. Unconfirmed reports from our sources at the 2007 Scale Masters Qualifier event state that the new item (it true name is yet to be confirmed) is capable of carrying a variety of field gear such as the glow igniter and retract pump shown in the picture. While these are just an example of it's uses, there was also some scuttlebutt at the event about it being rated to carry much heavier items, such as starters, transmitters, and other necessary items needed at the flight line to prevent the need to lug a full field box out for each round of scored flights. Other items overheard to be tested but not seen were bananas, assorted nuts, fruits, and of course the occasional fish taco.

This manufacturer of this sure to be hot seller is said to have granted exclusive testing rights to Dail Aviation Inc. which is based in the Santa Clarita Valley. The on site representative for Dail Aviation, known at the field as "Scale Dail" would not comment on this and even claimed that no such item had been placed anywhere near his box. Later however, our sources overheard this quote from the man called Scale Dail: "If it's not scale, it not worth wearing".

We will keep you posted as the story unfolds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32383.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	745756  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what an exclusive You really went deep undercover for that story! I hear Dail Aviation is usually good at keeping such new items like this equipment sling, well under wraps. I wonder, might this this be an intentional leak in an effort to boost his profit?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Kmot

Hahahaha!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

OMG. That is too funny. I like the little breakaway in the front....or is that the back.........or maybe the side, oh who knows. I think this one will haunt Corey for a while.

Got to luv 'em basin folk.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Thanks for chiming in here, Adam with the truth. I will also add that I was watching when the Transmitter Box was open and the little red light shining brightly. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then the official looked at the back of the Transmitter and saw that it was definitely in CH 56- Your Frequency! Ya know, It's hard to discount such circumstantial evidence.

This "vendor" was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn't speak English and didn't even know what he had there for sale nor what it's hazards were. It makes me wonder where he got it. He should be shot just for having it on regardless of whether it cost someone else an airplane.

I have to add that I admire your restraint when confronting him. You actually told him that the money was not the issue but that 6 officials (and yourself) on the flight line were endangered by his actions. He still acted ignorant and get this - He offered to sell you that radio at a discount!

I'm afraid that I would have taken him out to the flight line and showed him the point at which your airplane hit by slamming his transmitter into the ground at approximately the same impact! This would not be an act of revenge or violence - just a demonstration for his entertainment pleasure!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Kmot

Signage needs to be put up facing the parking lot, and aimed right at the picnic tables:

"THIS IS NOT A SWAP MEET AREA

NO SELLING OF ANY KIND"
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 PM
prangem

How about signs facing the "vendor tables" that have a big transmitter with a red circle and slash over them, and words to the effect, DO NOT TURN ON YOUR TRANSMITTER unless you are authorized to do so. YOU WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any damages you cause. ( Written in at least five languages.) This type of sign is a common way of relaying vital information in airports all over the world, and although our airport is for smaller planes, it does have it's unique hazards. Just about everyone who brings a transmitter INTO the pitt area has a good idea of how it functions or at least has a vested interest in doing things properly. Accidents still happen. The worst case scenario is the MR. Kim case, ( malice.) followed closely by " the fool" ( ignorance.) The thing that bugs me the most is that I fly all of my smaller sport models on spectrum radios. ( And, of course, that the spitfire was really hooked up.) Anybody want a good deal on some gently used, 20 yr. old PCM 1024's ????
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 PM
JasonP
My Feedback: (1)

Adam
Funny you say this
6 signs were ordered today,however they are only in English and Spanish. 1 for each Gate.

JasonP
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: prangem
BB, I love how you can attack someone for starting a rumor, and on the same post start one yourself.
Please point out where I attacked someone and where I started a rumor.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 AM
prangem

Well O.K. Maybe "attacked" was too strong a word. My apology. But in post 6468, didn't you warn Kmot and the group about the tendancy of people to spread shoot down rumors quickiy and without verification? And that it is "doubtfull" that my signal would be compromised anyway? ( Opinion.) And that, maybe, the guy ( Me.) didn't charge up? And that we will probably never know the real reason I crashed? Well, many people witnessed this luckily minor incident, and the only two people who seem to be questioning whether or not this was a real "shoot down" incident are you and the guy who owned the offending TX. If you don't believe me, read the posts, call Don, ( the C.D.) or talk to officer Ortega at the Van Nuys branch of the L.A.P.D. Shoot downs have been, and continue to be a problem, even with S.S. and impounding procedures. Isn't that a big reason you fly on a H.A.M. Freq.? To avoid this tssurus. And speaking of flying. LET'S GO. You have been missed. A.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
BasinBum

First let me say that I am sorry about your plane and the guy with the TX should be hung by his thumbs. Go back and check my post, I said the offending TX was probably not fully charged and based on the reports of this guy's knowledge of RC I am probably correct. With the information that was given at the time I was speculating on the probabilities of it being a shoot down, since then much more definative info has been posted and it seems pretty clear that it was.

We have all heard "wolf" cried at the Basin so often that when someone imediatley says they were shot down I am skeptical. When there is hard evidence like in this case it is a differant story. It doesn't do the field any good to report rumors untill there is strong evidence.

I have been busy with my other hobby and have a deadline to meet so planes have been on the back burner for now. I have been involved with this hobby since I was a kid and as sure as Eric will return each year to terrorize the field I will also be back.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

as sure as Eric will return each year to terrorize the field I will also be back.
To terrorize the field?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: JasonP

Adam
Funny you say this
6 signs were ordered today,however they are only in English and Spanish. 1 for each Gate.

JasonP
Jason, what do the signs state?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
prangem

Well Thanks for the condolances. She will fly again, and probably will be crashed again, most likely at the scale masters finals, where I have a history of doing embarassing things. But I gotta say that those red and green L.E.D.'s on that TX. were burning really brightly. When I close my eyes I can still see them. ( They compete with the image of my plane sliding upside down along the runway.) Even with the antenna removed, and the T.X. sealed in it's aluminum case, it was still lighting up R.F. scanners all over the pitts, and just because you don't speak english or know about R/C or Freq. control doesn't mean you can't have a firm understanding of electronic concepts as simple as pluging something in. That is just basic. No, when I see a gun on a table, I always assume that it is fully loaded, and that T.X. was AS dangerous in this situation as a loaded gun. Just ask Jim Ried, the air boss at the event, who got a real good look at my spinner, and most of the events of his life ...so far. Thats just my opinion. A. Hey , why dont you bring a couple of your beautiful chairs out to the field and we can fly AND rock, combining two of your passions? We can even wear masks and snorkles, which would make three hobbies at once. But we'll leave the furry suits at home.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
prangem

The signs should read, " IF YOU ARE STUPID OR UNPLEASANT. LEAVE! "
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
BasinBum

Gelbarticus! I just realized that's you. Congrats on the win and did you get extra points for the inverted landing?

P.S. I lost your number when my phone died, call me.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 PM
JasonP

I will post the pdf of the final draft of the sign as soon as I get it for approval.

JasonP
Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Ed

Hey Jason, did Jim Drew ever get out there and scope the Basin for interference ? And if so, what were the results ?

> Jim
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
JasonP

Hi Jim
He should be here on the 28th.

JasonP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.