Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 10-13-2007, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

There has always been a problem with folks who appreciate the rules and their reasons and those who do not. It is up to the population of the basin to police itself most times.

You are not really in the minority because you fly electrics, most of the valley flyers themselves including myself have electrics. The club decided it would be best to help this facet of the hobby with the charging stations but if the populace cannot impress upon itself that the rules are there for a reason and need to be followed for those reasons. If they can't or won't be followed then the club would be neglecting one of its primary missions - safety. We have had trouble with safety issues in the past and they will always come up, the best way to handle them is through education. It is not always easy to approach a rule breaker but if you do so politely and nicely you're more likely to be responded to with some understanding. Though in my experience it is usually about 50/50.

Your best bet to prevent the closure that Jason has mentioned is a possibility is to impress upon those who do not follow the rules that there are reasons why they should.

These are my opinions as a club member only.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:23 PM

We have a fun Fly Float Fly next weekend up in Ojai at Lake Casitas. Come on out there are normally lots of cool and very scale planes up there.

http://www.vccomets.com/
Old 10-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Nice to see that I stired up a hornets nest. I only fly once a week for a few hours and tomorrow is the day (Sunday)
I will pass on everyone coments and ideas and see what I can do. I have been pushing people in that area to join the club, not only do they get to be a part of a great flying community but their funds help keep the area they fly in alive and very healthy.

More thoughts later.

Paul
Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Paul, I'm the same way - mostly I fly glow at the basin but around the house at the parks I fly electrics of course.

If I see you when I am there in the morning I will come say hi. I've seen you at the meetings pretty often but I don't think we've officially met.

-Mike
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM

I'd be there tommorow, but the "5" is cut in half, and I come from just N of it. Monday rush hour should be fun if it is still closed.

Please pass the 1 lb rule on! (Nicely).
Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Float fly or VF BBQ? will the Basin be closed to non VF's on Sunday?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: scale dail

Float fly or VF BBQ? will the Basin be closed to non VF's on Sunday?
AMA SANCTIONED EVENT - SAFE FLY STARTS AT 8:30 A.M.

FIELD OPEN TO ALL AMA CARD-CARRYING MEMBERS.

EVENT ENTRY FEE OF $5.00 CHARGED TO NON-VALLEY FLYER/

GIANT SCALE MEMBERS.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Fly with all those who pay 5 bucks and AMA. or AMA float fly at pretty lake and long drive. Mmmm.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Tri tip or hot dogs?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Scale Dail
That is pretty easy.
Float Fly on Saturday and Club BBQ on Sunday.
And I promiss that I won't talk smack on Sunday... Much

JasonP
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Tri tip or hot dogs?
Hmmmm Scale event or Pylon Race for 2008?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Tri tip or hot dogs?
steak or chicken
Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 PM

Jet Bat or F9F.

Jason
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 PM

You can have your 300mph+ Jetbat. 150MPH is scale speed for me. F-104 or F-105 or A-7 hmmmm. Hey Billy Frank Tiano has an event for you and your BIG planes over in Florida.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Would that be called TOP GUN?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 PM

No, its for really BIG planes. minimum weight, 30 pounds. no upper limit. check it out in the Scale Thread.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Wow, checked it out. Seems like a good thing to venture out beyond the watchful eyes of the AMA. I'm all for it.

Looks like tomorrow is round 4 on the madien for the FW 190. I hope the ignition prob is worked out. It will be nice to hear that radial unload in the air.

Crossing my fingers,
Billy
Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Hi,

I am looking for someone in the LA are who has one of the Flying Lawnmowers from these guys:

http://www.flyingthingz.com/products/skycutter.html

We are filming a TV commercial and need to have someone fly one in the commercial.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Call Airworld USA in Van Nuys, CA. Ask for Jason Somes. He's the man when it comes to cutt'n the grass
He has one.
I think , for no extra charge, he'll even come dressed as Elvis
Billy
Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks. Looks like Jason is our man.

If anyone happens by and has more of these Mowers that we could keep as a backup, I would still be interested to hear from them.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Interesting marketing boo boo here.

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/dagored.html

Dago Red mixed up with Voodoo.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Billville

Interesting marketing boo boo here.

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/dagored.html

Dago Red mixed up with Voodoo.
It barely even looks like Voodoo but I really liked all the typos in the description. My favorite though is:
"WING AND TAIL FEATHERS ARE SEMETICTAL"

Does that mean the wing and tail feathers are Jewish?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Well looks like madien # 4 was not very successful. Even with a change to the power source for the ignition the motor still was cutting out at high rpms. On the ground the last 25% of the throttle was missing so I put a little more pitch on the prop and richened up the high speed needle. The problem seemed to go away as a result of taking off the top end power. The motor sounded great on the way out. I think we tacked it at aroung 700 rpms. The take off was nice and it climbed slowly up to about 200 ft. I was able to put on about four laps and get her trimmed out ...finally but soon the motor started to miss at full throttle. A couple clicks down seemed to work for a while but then it happened again, now the throttle was about 80%, keep in mind I took off about 25% from the start. Needless to say the plane , even though flying fine, felt like I was just above step on power so I decided to bring her in. I just passed the runway, hit the gear switch and watched one of my 6" rubber wheels drop like a bomb. "WONDERFUL" I thought, now lets see I can belly here on the infield or try for a greaser on the mains. As I came around for a gear pass to confirm the gear was down and locked I threw in half flaps to start slowing here down . By now I'm over the runway about 100' up turning towards Woodley to set up for kneebanger landing when..... the motor just dead stops. Oh man, I thought the worst at that moment. The plane was already going to slow and the wind was blowing out of the SSE at about 10 mph. TYhe only choice was to throw the nose down, suck up the gear, draw back the flaps and head for Woodley. So I'm standing on the first pad to the rt of the taxi way and she's heading out away from me. I kept the wings level and figured I give here a good flare before she touched down. The plane was about 6' off the ground when my line of site was gone due to a row of large bushes. I gave it a second then pulled back on the stick hoping that what I was visualizing in my head was really what was happening beyond the bushes. I took the walk of shame with Rob J. Along the way,(it was a long way too) I thought about what kind of damage there might be. I knew the gear was fine cause I saw it go up at the last second, but I just hoped that she at least hit level and didn't cartwheel. We finally got out there to see the plane. I couldn't believe my eyes. There she was, shining in here silver gel coat turned around about 160 degrees from the sirction she came in at. Out beyond the row of bushes was this vast open flat area covered in baby grass sickles. The plane had very little damage. Just a broked blade and a small fractue in the cowl. Not so much as a scratch on the wings or fuse. I couldn't beieve my eyes. The plane must weight 50lbs or so, and for that thing to have kissed the ground and slid on the belly for a good 20' was an absolute miracle. I was so happy, she will fly again.
Well the damage is fixed and the motor is going in to Jason on Monday diagnosis.
Out of the four short flights I have had on this plane, each one gave me a little something to store in the grey matter to hopefully help on the next one. This time I gathered 2 bits of info that will help in the future. The first was she glides pretty good for a big heavy warbird and the other was I can always land her with my eyes closed
Now I can't wait for madien #5, I'm sure that one will be the winning ticket.

CYA, Billy

P.S. Talk about luck, I even walked back out and found my wheel. Needle in a haystack ay.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 AM

Congrats Billy, that's quite a story and glad it came out so well.

Mike R
Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo, Billy,,
Thought the sayin' was: Third time a charm... Now you are running it up to five..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.