Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

Jim, did I meet you once out at Speedworld last year? Did you ever get that Airworld GB R3 done?

Billy
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: Philo

Jim, did I meet you once out at Speedworld last year? Did you ever get that Airworld GB R3 done?

Billy
Sorry Billy. [] I wish it was, but it wasn't. []
Really, really, really sorry, that I don't own an R-3. [] ...... [] ...... []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59381.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	789324  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Now that the wind should start to calm down I wonder if it's in the best interest of the field to fly turbines this week. While the odds of a fire from a crash are low it has happened several times at the basin. A fire right now could be the thing that get's turbines banned or the whole field shut down. When there is nothing else for the Fire Dept. to do they don't seem to mind a little action but with resources maxed out it could be a really big deal. Could you imagine the news calling it "The Model Airfield Fire"?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 AM

I got my thumb certification last week. Now I can crash things with authority.

(º≤º)

But not on Satan's channel. (44)
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 AM

I was thinking about that too Richard. I do understand what you're saying, and it makes sence. However for arguements sake we have had a brush fire caused from a lipo pack. There are quite a few planes both nitro and electric that have these packs in them. I know it is less a risk but it can happen. It is food for thought. Who's to say when an appropriate time would be to go out. It seems like any fire in the near future is gonna get people talking. I personally at this time would not want to madien or try out some new radio equipment but I feel more than confident flying one of the " old faithfuls" as early as Thursday.

Billy
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM

HEY FELLOW PILOTS AND GREETINGS TO ALL: WHAT ABOUT OUR BRO'S IN THE HORRIBLE FIRE AREAS? DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THEIR CONDITIONS? SEVERAL OF THEM LIVE IN SOME OF THOSE AREAS, STARTING FROM CANYON COUNTRY, ALL THE WAY OUT NEAR MAGIC MOUNTAIN AREAS.

A FRIEND INDICATED TO ME THAT CHANNEL 13 INTERVIEWED A HOMEOWNER WHICH HAD RADIO CONTROL AIRPLANES HANGING IN THE BACKGROUND........IF WE CAN GET SOME INFO ABOUT OUR CO-PILOTS, PLEASE SHARE.......

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Razor-RCU lives in Ramona. I fear the worst for him.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 AM

After seeing the fire from the Jet Fly in a while ago and the sentiments brought up in light of the current fires, has anyone given any thought to the club purchasing several garden backpack sprayers, filling them with water and having them at the ready for such an occurance? At jet flyins, a pickup truck with a 55 gallon drum in the bed might save a lot of paper work for our firefighters.

alan
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM

Hey Bob.
I speak English and American.
I dont need no stinking lessons.
[:'(]
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
My Feedback: (6)

My flyin bud got evac'd Sunday night, stayed at my place. Then they tried to kick me out Mon. afternoon. I was an outlaw and stayed. Didn't want to get locked out of my neighborhood. Danger passed in a couple of hours.

Those guys flyin the Super Scoopers have cast iron balls! I want to take flying lessons from those bad boys. Was cool to watch them fill up at Castaic Lake. Many thanks to all air support who saved my, and many friends homes.

As far as the concerns with DX7 and Turbine fires...I guess the only safe thing to fly is CL. No radio, no batt, no turbine, no problem. Unless someone gets their panties in a bunch about the noise!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM

The water backpack would be the best solution if any. The logistics would be tight for it to even have a chance. I figure the pack would have to be out by the flightline and if a plane went in you would have to grab and run like heck to the crash site. When the fire goes they really seem to go quick. The last one was pretty close to the edge and even with several fire extinguishers that were brought out it still didn't help. I have thought about even renting a water truck with a pump for events, but you are restricted by the hose length.

Billy
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Billy, you should talk to Scale Dail re: H2O trucks.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Hey Guys, I live in Stevenson Ranch , and this past Monday, I aged about 10 years with fright and worry. We are Okay now, but I tell ya, although the firefighters are tops and do an incredible Job, the State Legislature sucks. 6 Years ago a blue ribbon panel made up of every fire chief in CA made strong recommendations to the State Leg. about equipment needed. Not a single thing from that report has been appropriated.

The US has been, is , and always will be the leader in aviation, California is the world's leader in Wild Fires. So, we end up LEASING and borrowing planes from Canada?? Hell, with airplane graveyards filled with older Dc-10s and 747's going to waste, why can't we buy a few of those and retrofit them for fire duty? It's insane that we don't have a substantial Fire Air force.

The Govern-ator thinks the current situation is fine. I say B.S. Tell that to the over 1500 folks who lost homes.

I think if we told the CA State Leg. that some frogs and birds were threatend by the wildfires, they'd appropriate the equipment post haste.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM

I'll talk to him, Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM

I agree man.

I saw a press conference with I think the OC fire Chief and he didn't mince words in expressing how pissed he is that they are losing homes due to legislative lack of attention to a problem pointed out to them years ago. Maybe this is a good time to give our local worthless politicians a big cattle prod in the arses and let them know their 2 bit poilitical future is at stake if they don't do something about it.

The other thing that sucked was that the news stations were all very concerned about the poor rich people in Malibu, and practically ignored the other fires until the death and destruction was enough to draw their attention away! Not to downplay the fact that lots of people lost property out there, but when they have a microwave truck set up in every area and go to them only 5% of the newscast while Malibu got almost non-stop coverage, it's kinda hard to say they are as concerned with getting important information to people as they are with getting the latest celebrity house on fire shot.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: HellcatAce

I agree man.

I saw a press conference with I think the OC fire Chief and he didn't mince words in expressing how pissed he is that they are losing homes due to legislative lack of attention to a problem pointed out to them years ago. Maybe this is a good time to give our local worthless politicians a big cattle prod in the arses and let them know their 2 bit poilitical future is at stake if they don't do something about it.

The other thing that sucked was that the news stations were all very concerned about the poor rich people in Malibu, and practically ignored the other fires until the death and destruction was enough to draw their attention away! Not to downplay the fact that lots of people lost property out there, but when they have a microwave truck set up in every area and go to them only 5% of the newscast while Malibu got almost non-stop coverage, it's kinda hard to say they are as concerned with getting important information to people as they are with getting the latest celebrity house on fire shot.

Here, Here. Not to downplay the human suffering in Malibu, but if i heard about the Elvis Collection that was lost in that castle one more time, and the 2 million dollar chandelier.
OK that is tuff, but John Q Publics house that was left to burn because of political neglect is where the story is.

This is going to happen again. They better fix it.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Billy,
A water truck at jet events is a really good idea but backpacks with water, not so much. Water trucks often have a nozzle on top of the truck with really good range and a rolled hose underneath for more coverage. It would be pretty easy to stage some 1-1/2" fire jose or just drive the truck closest to the fire. Haing extinguished many a brush fire with the aid of a water truck I know what i am talking about.

Backbacks with water sound like a good idea but there are several drawbacks. Inexperianced people with shorts on running out to burning brush is a bad combo. Te chance of a heart attack with many is great under those circumstances. The amount of water you are able to carry is minimal although much more effective on brush than the CO2's that were probably used at the jet event. With the CO2 it goes out but starts right back when it gets oxygen, been there done that.

Scaledail would be the guy to talk to about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Corey, PM me with your phone # when you get a chance.

Billy
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM

I'm gonna suggest to the board we purchase one of these.

Name:	Sp45560.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	789623  
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM

What about an ATV with a 20-30 gallon water tank? Hand crank pump and away you go.

alan
Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM

If I still had my Kodiak I'd donate it in a heartbeat. I think the simple problem on that would be funding even though I think it is well worth it. Maybe there is a cheap one out there we can customize.

Name:	Ig13847.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	789632  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Just did a quick search on ebay, there are a ton of them for sale locally. Woudn't be the worst investment the club made.

alan
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM

But we will need to get an ass to pull it.

questions, comments?

alan
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Off topic but funny. http://www.break.com/index/moron-let...y-at-pump.html
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: alanrw

But we will need to get an ass to pull it.

questions, comments?

alan

Perhaps we can get SKYLOG or some of the rude squadron to pull. When I think of asses.......well you get it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.