Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

i think that "fast connect" feature is currently only available on their newest 9 channel receiver from JR/Spektrum. Hopefully it will be out on their other receivers soon!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM

That might be true. The only documentation I found supporting it was for the AR9100 and the feature is called "Instant-On reconnect" and they claim less then a 1/2 second reconnect with it. Even the AR9000 binding manual makes no mention of the feature.

Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (9)

PHILO:

do you have any experience with the "D-CUP"??(i love the evolution of that name by the way!!) - it looks like some cheap insurance! I fly only 40-60 sized sport planes, nothing fancy. Will this work for my application? I'm planning on getting a X9303 in the next week or so and plan on running the AR6200 or AR7000 in most of my planes.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM

I dont know if this has been discussed before ,but can
the draw from the servos be too much? when high loads
are imposed on them.Such as high speed manouvers.
Causing the rx to drop out.
I tryed holding the elevator still and gave up el and full ail.
it glitched for amoment ???
Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
My Feedback: (8)

[quote]ORIGINAL: Billville

I realize that some of you guys would just as soon see ALL those rude squadron warbirds in the trash cans. . .

Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (15)

JCB , I don't have any real time with the D-cup. I have only used them on 3 other planes which I built for someone else. I can tell you this, if I didn't use the Powerbox as my redundantcy I would seriously consider using them.

Limey, That is a possibility. That is why some sort of redundacy is important. A lot of guys just simply add an extra battery to the reciever. You can just Y it into any channel. Or you use a large capacity battery pack so that the chances of your servos pulling too much juice is great decreased. Every set up is different and really depends on the type of plane and the type of flying that will be done. When in doubt, OVERPOWER it. A little extra weight in batteries or gizmos is well worth the insurance.

Billy
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM

I think what Limey is talking about is being experienced a lot by the heli guys lately. They are calling them brown outs. I think it is a by product of them running the new JR 8717s on 8 volts. What I want to know is if an 88 inch Extreme Flight Yak or Extra would be too much for the 8717s on 8 Volts. On 6 they are rated for 196 oz/in holding power and .07 sec/60 degrees.

Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I think one has to remember that as you increase the voltage in your system that you also are increasing your amp draw. So, in simplistic terms if you go from 4.8V to 6V on your onboard setup you'll notice faster servos and more torque right? Well, that's also more amp draw so say you have changed from 4.8 to 6V but stayed with 600mah batteries. At 6V you'll have less flight time than you did at 4.8V because your amp draw is higher.

So, just like on your electric power systems amp draw is very important to consider on your radio power systems. Digital servos, higher voltage, number of servos, high torque servos all equate to the need for a more robust battery to support them. I haven't made the leap to 2.4Ghz yet but will when I need to. I'm looking forward to it but in no real rush as 72Mhz has served my sport needs well, if I had competition or complex models I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on 2.4Ghz.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: scale dail

ORIGINAL: Billville

I realize that some of you guys would just as soon see ALL those rude squadron warbirds in the trash cans. . .

I was thinking of you when I wrote that. Bill
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys,

I don't have one of these Spektrum systems, but I think I know a product that would help a lot. There must be some products that do this to some degree, but what I am talking about is simple compared to these big power boxes. We have tried to get SmartFly to make it but they passed.

What you need is a seperate battery for the receiver and the servos. A small battery powers the receiver and bigger ones that power the servos. Very simple.

These new massive digital servos can really cause big power drop outs, and combined with the relatively new types of receiver computers (compared to our older simpler PCM receivers) that have to reboot and you have a bad recipe.

We should get Rob Janiger to design it and I know a place we could get them made
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Been a while since I have posted, busy with other stuff, but I do keep up on the thread.

Seems to me I have read about a device(s) that dies just that, iso;late the reciver power and the servo power. Might be wrong, but makes perfect sense. Keep the juice flowing to the reciever.

I certainly don;t have time these days but it seems as though some one could setup a bench system with a scope monitoring the voltage to the system and and add a couple of large capacity capacitors accorss the battery, Just like they do for these wopper sound systems in the cars these days. This acts like a resivour providing the current needed when a spike does occur. by loading the servo the voltage could be tracked acrauately with the scope. Maybe I'm wrong in that it would take caps to large to be practical, but a thought. and that's simple.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, energy storage devices like capacitors combined with bigger batteries help. I think Horizon sells such an add on cap as a matter of fact.

I am not against these device, I am only saying that a seperate receiver battery, isolated from the servo battery basically cures the problem at the source.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM

That is exactly what the D - Cup is.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM

This might do the trick...

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9100

[8D]
Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
My Feedback: (6)

One thing noted by sometime back in this thread is the stock batteries that come with the older DX-7's. They seem to have notorious probems with cells that suddenly short or have less than rated capacity. No matter what method or gizmo you use to provide redundant power, if the battery has been mistreated, crashed, allowed to go to low in voltage, or developed a memory (remember ni-cads?) or just plain sucks, you're gonna have a real bad day.

While you are investing in your redundant power source, take a look at what kind of charger you are using. If you draw big power, consider making sure you invest in something that allows mulitple cycles, readouts and/or memory functions that allow you to see what the actual measured capacity of the pack is in mah, along with other goodies like being able to charge multiple packs of different types. While many of us have gone to Lipo or nimh receiver packs, I think many including me still use good old nicads in the transmitter.

Food for thought.....
Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Matt, how about the Isolator made by I4C products. I think the company is out of business now, but I think it does just that. It isolates the reciever from the servos and just powers the servos. You can just plug in a battery to the reciever and power the reciever that way. Its been a long while since I used one of these, but I think thats how it worked.

Sung
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto [8D] I have some hreat videp of 2 people getting hit by a plane at the same time.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! A reply to an original post made 4 years- 4 months, 266 pages, and 6,655 posts later!!!!!!!!!

Is that a record?

I guess when you come in with no flaps, you might overshoot just a bit.

Scott
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
My Feedback: (8)

He probably started at the begining. after a few hours of the Basin thread delirium can result![&:]
Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Rojeck

Hey Matt, how about the Isolator made by I4C products. I think the company is out of business now, but I think it does just that. It isolates the reciever from the servos and just powers the servos. You can just plug in a battery to the reciever and power the reciever that way. Its been a long while since I used one of these, but I think thats how it worked.

Sung

Hi Sung,

Yes something like that would work, it could really be nothing more than the various in and out connectors and a printed circuit board. no electrical parts to fail. You could have 2 batteries (very small, like 250 or 400 mah) plugged into the receiver and then 2 big ones plugged in parallel for the servos. I knew somebody had one at one time.

See you later.

Oh BTW I saw your new Hawk at the AMA show, it seems to be to be a really new level of plane, very very nice.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM

FYI,

Somebody the basin stole my tools this past Saturday. they were in a silver aluminun case that says "align". I fly a mach 2 with flames on it. I hang out with Josh, Ken, Skydog and Andy. I have a yellow flight box and my name is Guy. If you see anything tip me off please.

guy
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks. Man, times have changed at the Basin.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 PM

That does suck. Sorry to hear about your loss. Was the case your tools in near the rest of your stuff?

Billy
Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Yes they were, and the case was closed. the box said "align" on it so I think the person might have thought it was a trex heli. So I'm going to keep an eye on those guys, but I have doubts whoever took it will be back. There was one guy I noticed flying a red "radio shack" style heli in the airplane pit area. I thought that was kind of odd.

Guy
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM

what sucks is here are people you fly with eevry weekend and, pretty much, you know everyone and this happens. there's always that stranger that shows up. anyway my icon (rcuniverse) is the mach 2 with flames, and that's always out there, so you know hoq to find me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.