Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

Tues afternoon, 7/14

Did anyone see what happened to the F15 turbine? (I heard flame out on a go-around?)

Was there a fire at the crash site or since it was a flame out, there was no fire?

I was not there but just trying to find out more info....
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

and youthought the basin was a crazy place to fly on saturday afternoons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5CjnU0FsY
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gnats!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 PM

The warbird races were fun. I was one of the pylon judges at pylon one. Had 3 crashes. A yellow plane (with black polka dots) got its tail feathers chopped off by his friends plane (a blue plane with a yellow nose). Daves twin mustang wound up with a jammed throttle. He was flying laps until it ran out of fuel... unfortunately one engine died and it went into a death spiral at high speed. Total disaster, but he did find the wreckage. The final crash was an electric sea fury that suddenly lost power rounding the pylon and went straight in. Broke both the wings but looked repairable (with the purchase of new wings of course). Pretty sure a dago red won but I had to leave while the awards were being handed out, I was coming down with either heat exhaustion or heat stroke and needed to cool off and get some Gatorade. Fun day, just wish there were more pilots there.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 PM

Well I've been starting to keep track of how many times the electric guys brake the rules. 8 times in 1 hour I counted. Our biggest threat in the park flyer area are the electric jets. They were breaking the park flyer speed limit, flying over the big runway, pits, and the taxi way.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM

hmmmmm....odd that there isn't anything here from the board regarding the posting about the status of the 'park flyer' area posted on the bulletin board at the field.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM

HELP...!!!!
OK I'm a dork..I Left 2 chargers and 3 batts plugged in at the E-charge station. last week. I'm hoping Benny or someone was able to put them in the shed. Most of you don't know me here as I usually post on RCG as "One Six Right" I drive white Jeep and some of my jets have the "MONSTER energy" paint scheme. Please let me know if my stuff is not gone forever!! The chargers are marked with "GRG"

Thanks for your help guys.
Gary
Old 07-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Hi Gary
You have a PM.

JP
Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM

OH thank heaven..and BENNY!!
Pete H told me to get Benny's # from the Club wesite. I called Benny and he has ALL my stuff. There are good people at the "The Basin", and Benny is one of 'em!!
Thanks again Benny. Lunch is on me
Now I can get back to building, and looking forward to LA Jets this weekend..

Gary

EDIT: Thanks Jason, you guys are great!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: GaryRG

OH thank heaven..and BENNY!!
Pete H told me to get Benny's # from the Club wesite. I called Benny and he has ALL my stuff. There are good people at the ''The Basin'', and Benny is one of 'em!!
Thanks again Benny. Lunch is on me
Now I can get back to building, and looking forward to LA Jets this weekend..

Gary

EDIT: Thanks Jason, you guys are great!

Any time brother.

Glad to be of assistance.

JasonP
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 PM

Hello Everyone! Last Saturday at the basin were triple digits temps....Many pilots and visitors were trying to stay cool in the shaded pitt areas. They all wanted to chill and be entertained. Well, their wish came true when Michael Lederer showed up with his Giant Scale Twin Engine (160's) Scaled F-18 Turbine Jet......

Wow!!! With his maiden flight he wooooed everbody with it's realistic true to life scale design. It even had a retractable tail-hook, in addition to auto-open canopy and scale cock-pit. It was quite enjoyable to see and more enjoyable to fly. He took off with a nice long scale-like runway take-off. It gracefully ascended with plenty of power and thrust! He flew it very scale like. It was so exciting to see it fly like the full scale. He had a captive audience. He landed beautifully and received an outsanding applaud from the spectators.

He taxed back to the pit area with the open canopy and demonstrated the working tail-hook. He received so many compliments for his outstanding flying abilities. Definitely a crowd pleaser. In the photos below: The F-18 in fight and back to the pit area is Capt. Michael Lederer and his ground crew and support. Far left Jason, Jonathan (his brother), Michael (himself) and Leroy......Special thanks to Issac for technical support and Lynda for the photo's.

Special Note: Today is Michael's Birthday!!!! "Happy Birthday" Capt. Michael Lederer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29454.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	1241483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65554.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1241484  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
My Feedback: (15)

For those who knew Ron Weiss. He was in a fatal plane crash Sunday. His new Lancair crashed in Santa Clarita. He and a passenger were instantly killed.

A service will be held for him Wed at Mount Sinai in Burbank at 10am.

He used to fly at the basin, then took a couple years off then recently started showing up again. A real shame to hear of this.

Billy
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's sad news Billy.
My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
PR
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Ron was a good guy and we were just talking about him a few weeks ago, he did the most badasss suicide slip from 400 feet with that pink lazer with a YS120 that said rock and roll. Very interesting flyer and super high energy ratchet snaps, kind of a Leo Loudenslager of RC to me. Always helping new guys learn to fly too. I miss him and the idea that he will just come around sometime, defiantly inspired me and pushed me to fly harder.
I saw him a while back in OSH getting more supplies for the full scale plane he was building, we had a good talk for a while. He was dressing in shop coveralls, dirty as hel1 and a big frickin smile on his face...............
Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM

sorry to hear that.
he's the guy that did those figure 8 knife edges, right?
i remember the 400 foot side-slip-to-landing

any word on what happened to the plane yet to make it fail?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 AM

It’s wonderful when we can celebrate a wonderful day at the basin…..We can have some of the best flying experiences and yet in retrospect some of the worst ever. Surely, model planes are material things, but they bring such happiness to ours lives, for those of us that love aviation.

Over the past years, we not only reflect on our planes, but most important are the people that fly them. We all have our certain style of planes we like and style of flying. Some planes you may not like, but the owner does, so it’s all about accepting each others differences.

Ron Weiss was the kind of person that no matter what you were flying, it didn’t matter to him. The most important thing to him was: How well you flew whatever you had. If you needed help or advice, he always applied himself. I can truly say that every time I saw him, he had the same personality of giving of himself.

I was so shocked with sadness when I heard about his death. The first thing came to mind was his love for the hobby, with his “Rock “n” Roll” style flying, which earned him his nick name: Rock “n” Roll Ron. I remembered on one occasion when he was standing with me, just to watch me fly, I made a loop maneuver and for some reason my plane wouldn’t pull up straight into the loop and out. I would torque to one side, making the loop unattractive.

He told me how to apply rudder trim to correct the issue and it worked! That made me very happy! I would see him helping or working with people I don’t think he even knew. I am quite sure they benefited from having him there. I know he had many other talents, but I think of him most regarding radio control planes.

There was a period at one time when he just vanished from the field for quite some time….He was truly missed and asked about. Then out of the blue, he returned and what do you know? He had the same wonderful giving personality as always and he looked great! Well, I am sad about what happen to him, along with his loved ones and friends. I just wanted to share just a little personal tribute.

I took these photos of Ron at Van Nuys Expo on June 11th 2006. I was surprise to see him there with his project plane (in the background). He was surprise to see me too and with so much enthusiasm, he talked about his latest experimental plane project.

I thank God that I have wonderful memories about Ron Weiss.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66371.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1242185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38081.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1242186  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

15 years ago, Ron helped me with my first fast plane, a quickie 500 with a K&B. I was nervous as can be and he spent hours helping me set it up, trim it out and then spot for me. He had never even spoke to me before that day. I remember the day vividly. He was so calm and helpful.

A terrible loss.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Was there another fire today?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ty-and-co.html

Firefighters knock down brush fire in the Sepulveda Basin
4:20 PM | July 23, 2009

Firefighters knocked down a brush fire this afternoon in the Sepulveda Basin, a fire official said.

More than 100 city and county firefighters responded to the blaze, which broke out at 2:30 p.m. near Burbank Boulevard and Woodley Avenue, said Los Angeles city firefighter Rich Matheney.

The flames burned through several acres, but were put out less than an hour and a half later.

No injuries were reported, and no structures were threatened.

—Corina Knoll
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM

yep, there was a fire today. i saw it while driving the 405 downhill stretch towards the 101.
2-3 helicopters were going back and forth.

and so i got off on victory to go check out the basin.

looks like the fire was OUTSIDE the flying field perimiter.
not sure how it got started...perhaps a cigarrette tossed out from a car or truck.

leroy, that was a real nice writeup, here is a link to the crash report:
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_12869168
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard from Bennie (via Billy) that it was not an airplane.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:11 AM

There was a period at one time when he just vanished from the field for quite some time….He was truly missed and asked about. Then out of the blue, he returned and what do you know? He had the same wonderful giving personality as always and he looked great! Well, I am sad about what happen to him, along with his loved ones and friends.

You say that Ron vanished for quite some time, maybe that was the time Ron spent up here in Fresno. I met Ron at the Basin before I moved to Fresno. He said he would help me to get into the club here and he did. It makes me sad to think he will not be around any more. I will copy and save his pictures.

Alan in Fresno
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Ron gave me a few flying lessons on my trainer back around 1993 when I was learning to fly. I was in junior high at that time. I remember he was the most impressive flyer I had ever seen back then. He was flying a 40 size extra and had a very exciting flying style and was an inspiration. Always had a lot of energy and full of life. I remember he used to bring a sport bike to the basin back then. Very sad news. My condolences to his family.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
My Feedback: (2)

If you ask Michael Lederer, he'll tell you Ron Weiss taught him to fly. Ron told me the secret to becoming a good rc pilot was to fly figure eights in front, to your right and to your left. Once you mastered that do it again inverted. He told me to do that for a month or two solid and I would be able to handle any orientation. I was always afraid Ron would tear the wings off of whatever he was flying.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM

yeah basinbum.
i remember him coming in from a flight one time where he was dping hard knife edged figure 8's.

he said soemthing felt wrong with his plane. we discovered the wing became broken at the end of the spar.
he then called up edwin on his cell phone and wanted to trade it in for a new wing telling edwin that it was defective.
(never mind the g-forces he was forcing on the wing - lol)
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was in 91 when I met Ron at the basin. It was my first time being at the basin, the first time having a powered RC airplane, and to make matters worst I had a quickie 500 with only RC slope gliding experience . Just glad Ron was there to check over the aircraft, tune the motor and do a test flight. Ron held the transmitter out to give me a try and as soon as did almost crashed it, but I was glad he was there to recover it for me. I took Ron's advice of getting a trainer and I have been flying at the basin ever since. I remember that day as it was a few weeks ago because that was a big event for me and Ron was there to help. Ron is a great guy, condolence to his family and close friends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.