Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 AM
irishwrath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm Justin. I am a 26 year old, graduate student and veteran of the USAF. As of tonight I am a Valley Flyer Club member. I have been flying at the field since March and have had an AMA license since then. I have only ever flown electric and fly in both the park area and main runway. I've been flying for a number of years.

I fly EDF Jets, ARF Foamie Warbirds, 3D foamies and Gliders.I have yet to even attempt to build a gas powered plane simply because I haven't had anyone to teach me and as a graduate student at one of the local universities I don't have tons of money to dump into a plane that I can't crash and fix (meaning Foam can be glued back together).

With regard to the Park Area. Tonight I spent a good amount of time listening and speaking with several members at the field. Here are a few things that we talked about and my own comments.

1. The major problem for the park area is of course, public people that come and fly without any knowledge of the rules and could care less to read them. When I'm out there, everyone is going to get to know me quite well because I will be harassing them as politely as I can about how they need to be fly. Airspace limits, speed, etc. I want to educate new pilots, not turn them away from a sport/hobby that I love.

2. If it was a closed park the problems would be solved. Is this feasible? Not at the time being from what I've been told.

3. When I do take my ARF Warbirds to the main flight line I get harassed by some of the Scale Gas and Jet pilots. I politely tell them to kick rocks, sometimes with other language. I'm out there to fly and have fun. Not be harassed because my budget isn't as big as some of the other pilots at the field. I love to fly and I buy what I can afford. If you want to give me a plane then sure...I'll fly that with you and you can stop complaining.

4. Even tonight there were club members singling out Electric Fliers as a group. There are plenty of electrics that are scale, over 2lbs and over 60mph, but instead of inviting us to the main runway to fly with the gas/jet planes some people decide to harass us, which thus leads us to the park area and causes even greater problems because the planes are overweight and over the speed limits. I simply ignore the harassment, but many pilots don't. When new electric pilots come other electric pilots that sometimes tell them to just fly in the park area because the gas/jet pilots will harass them if they fly over there. Odd, how some gas/jet pilots are creating their own problems in a way. (this is just my point of view, you do not have to agree with it) Some say ban electrics. Would that not be diminishing the sport? A sport that you love and perhaps would like to invite others to, but they don't have the budget to fly the planes that you do.

5. A number of us Electric Fliers will soon be making steps to help the situation. Such as: putting up stakes with flags across the field thus giving a definitive VISUAL boundary away from the taxi area, main runway, etc. If someone can see a florescent color in the peripheral vision showing the set boundary then they may be more likely to abide by the boundary limits. Coming up with new signs to ensure that people CANNOT miss them when entering the field. I didn't even notice the board posted up at the charging station until I had been there a few times. It looks like a baseball diamond to me and I'm not a fan of baseball so I had no reason to bring my attention to it the first few times I was there. We are going to make steps to reduce the problems.

6. Take notice that it's not only the park fliers that are breaking the rules. I cannot even begin to recall how many jets I've seen or heard of breaking the height limit. Scale Warbirds crossing into the park flier area. Electrics, Jets, and Gas planes zooming across and over Woodley Avenue. The fact is, there are plenty of pilots from all area's (gas, electric, and jet) that are breaking the rules.

Would shutting down the Park Flier area solve some problems? Sure. But it will also take away new blood that the sport needs. What we need are people that are willing to take 15-20 minutes out of their day to go over and talk to new pilots. Explain to new pilots the rules and correct them when they break the rules. If a pilot will not abide by those rules, then a group of people with peer pressure can pressure that individual to leave the field. What we need is reinforcement, not hostility.

I do not believe all of the problems will be completely solved, but if we can put the intolerance to a level of small annoyance, then perhaps everyone can fly happy. What we need to do is focus on the main issues and discuss new ways to solve the issues, not complain about it and attempt to completely ostracize someone or a group of individuals over a sport/hobby that they love.

I'm not here to argue with anyone or upset anyone at all. Simply here to hopefully bring a positive discussion to the table, which will hopefully help solve the problems.

I would also like to thank all of the Club Members that took a couple of hours out of their night to talk to me and other pilots about the issues at hand. It was much appreciated.

Regards,

Justin M.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, Force everyone to fly on the main runway and abide the current pattern, the 'Electric flying area', a make shift spot is really too small an area to be flying anything! 4 years ago I flew my Alpha foamie over the main runway, it was not a problem then and I don't see a problem now. There are several pilot platform cement out there and use them. If you cant walk your electric to the platform to fly then don't, if you think you wont kill someone with your little foamie well think about the domino effect of buzzing someone with a fast jet or a large warbird.

The truth is a lot start on electric with very little flying skills, the worst is they are flying behind me and of course inadvertently over my head. IS THIS SAFE? No stake or marked lines can stop it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
z06kal

I had people telling me this belongs in the park flier section?????? [sm=75_75.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b32TrOxF6Q

Lot of ignorant people out there. Granted this happend back in 06 when larger/fast electrics wern't as well known. Flying my 45" extra 300 which is right on the limit of the parkflyer specs I found itl rather easy to encroach the flight line or fly into the landing approach area if not paying careful attention, and I've been flying for some 17 years. For most pilots you would be surprised how much further out you are than you think you are and for novice pilots they litteraly have no clue. I'm not sure what the solution is but I would say 60mph is too fast for the park flyer area as it's just a couple of seconds before you are over the pilot boxes. I'd say the park flier area is only appropriate for 3D style aircraft that fly rather slow and can turn on a dime. I see a lot of guys flying better and better foamy EDF's or pushers out there and I'd argue that these planes belong on the main runyway.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude the Basin is almost uncontrollable LOL, telling people what they can fly in a box is like barking on a tree.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Three Four Left

13 paragraphs from a 12 hour member?
I fly EDF jets. Some foamies. some 150+mph. and a 51"WS AJ Extra330. We all have to get along. If you don't wish to fly with certain aircraft, just wait 10 min. If you want a closed field, Canyon Crosswinds is not too far from you.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
irishwrath

Z06kal,

I couldn't agree with you more. Imo, if the park flier area is to remain there should possibly be more restrictions on it. The 2lbs is reasonable, but if a plane absolutely cannot fly and turn within a small area then they should be on the main runway. Perhaps a 20 or 30mph limit. I just cannot see myself flying my 38" or even 55" 3D foamie on the main runway when there's a jet screaming past at 200mph or a Warbird scream past over 100+mph. (and I know the rebuttal to this would probably be "fly somewhere else" - if you have a suggestion then please let me know.) I do agree with FW190 to an extent. Most planes should be flown from the main runway, as I've stated previously that I fly a number of my planes on the main runway that others fly in the park flier area. Then it comes to the ultimate question, "Can the general public be trusted to respect the rules?" With the rules as they are, No. Perhaps stricter guidelines could help, but then we have to ensure that the "regulars" help to enforce those rules.

And yes, from a 12 hour member. I have been wanting to join for months, but I wanted to feel out the membership before I did. I feel that it's a community I would like to be part of and hopefully form new friendships through.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM
alanrw

It would seem that all of the above points are quite valid. But one bias that needs to be halted immediately is the notion that a "small" electric plane is not welcome on the main runway. All that attitude does is add to the existing problem with the electric area.

alan
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM
gregg f
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: alanrw

It would seem that all of the above points are quite valid. But one bias that needs to be halted immediately is the notion that a ''small'' electric plane is not welcome on the main runway. All that attitude does is add to the existing problem with the electric area.

alan
I agree. If it's too fast for the parkflyer area, it should fly off the runway.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 AM
EPflyer12
My Feedback: (1)

I have and idea. READ THIS>The AMA currently defines a park flyer as a model weighing less than 2 pounds that is incapable of reaching speeds of faster than 60 mph. It must use electric power for propulsion, be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, and remain within the pilot’s line of sight at all times. Or the Valley Flyers will be[sm=48_48.gif]
Old 08-02-2009, 04:06 PM
alanrw

ORIGINAL: EPflyer12

I have and idea. READ THIS>The AMA currently defines a park flyer as a model weighing less than 2 pounds that is incapable of reaching speeds of faster than 60 mph. It must use electric power for propulsion, be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, and remain within the pilot’s line of sight at all times. Or the Valley Flyers will be[sm=48_48.gif]

Well, except for the part that says "flown with a control line", those guys already have their own designated area.

alan
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
EPflyer12

ORIGINAL: EPflyer12

Well, except for the part that says ''flown with a control line'', those guys already have their own designated area.

alan
Well I know that I just copied and pasted it from the AMA website.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

SCALE CONTEST THIS WEEKEND! Aug. 7,8,9. The field will be closed-BUT YOU CAN STILL FLY! Enter the event!. Of course you will need AMA.
**ANY SCALE ARF CAN ENTER!** ELECTRIC PLANES TOO!!
Think you are a good pilot? PROVE IT! This weekend-
There are many catagories to enter in. The biggest catagory is Fun Scale-all you need to gain an extra 5 points is a picture of the full size plane of your model. All catagories will fly 10 flight manuvers performed with precision for a different set of judes each round.
I have been flying in these things for years and it is FUN!

http://www.scalemastersqualifier.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62740.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1249307  
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It would seem that all of the above points are quite valid. But one bias that needs to be halted immediately is the notion that a ''small'' electric plane is not welcome on the main runway. All that attitude does is add to the existing problem with the electric area.

alan

I agree 100%. If anyone is "harrassing" someone for flying an electrci plane on the main runway, IMHO they are way out of line. There are a few electric DF guys that fly out on the line and they are as welcome as can be, and should be an encouragement to others.

Regards,
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: scale dail

SCALE CONTEST THIS WEEKEND! Aug. 7,8,9. The field will be closed-BUT YOU CAN STILL FLY! Enter the event!. Of course you will need AMA.
**ANY SCALE ARF CAN ENTER!** ELECTRIC PLANES TOO!!
Think you are a good pilot? PROVE IT! This weekend-
There are many catagories to enter in. The biggest catagory is Fun Scale-all you need to gain an extra 5 points is a picture of the full size plane of your model. All catagories will fly 10 flight manuvers performed with precision for a different set of judes each round.
I have been flying in these things for years and it is FUN!

http://www.scalemastersqualifier.com/
MAN! I am so sad that I can't make this year's event. I've competed in the last two and placed in both in fun scale. I was hoping to sand bag again this year (mainly because I have two young ones and not the time to do a serious scale build - I can't even get a funscale build done). Unfortunately work is in the way this weekend and I can't work around it...

Man will it be a sad weekend for me though...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
rare_bear

SCALE CONTEST THIS WEEKEND! Aug. 7,8,9. The field will be closed-BUT YOU CAN STILL FLY!

can the sunrise flyers still come out and do a few laps before you guys get started?

man-o-man, there sure are a lot of 3 day events this year
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
scale dail

Friday will be open, and Sat.-Sun I think Adam will close the field around 8:00AM??
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
M. Lederer

Hello everyone... It is nice to come back to the field and see everyone again. I am glad everyone is still flying like mad. BasinBum, you are correct- Ron Weiss not only taught me to fly RC, but he would also provide me transportation to and from the field at an age where I otherwise could not get there! He is already missed.

Regarding the F18 Twin.... I want to thank Leroy and Isaac for helping me get the plane ready. Leroy was up till 3am helping me rig the bird... It was a good time and we had a successful flight. I have a new-found respect for the complexity of a twin engine jet- Especially Billy's... wow thats a lot of rigging and fuel and wires....

See you all soon, and as Leroy says... Happy landings.
Michael
Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
rare_bear

Friday will be open, and Sat.-Sun I think Adam will close the field around 8:00AM??
that works for me - thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Regarding the electric area..... The club has let the cat out of the bag so to speak by creating the electric area. A little history for you newer members, the now electric area used to be the heli area. I saw more than one heli/plank midairs which were spectacular. I agree with others who said the electric area should never have been created in it's current location. There is a pretty obvious solution but until recently it wasn't technologically feasible. Move the electric area away from where it is. It could be anywhere actually, even another part of Balboa Park. Now that shoot downs should be a thing of the past, the club could look to expand the field, not just protect what we have.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 PM
scale dail

Here are some of the planes that came out for static judging on Friday for the scale contest. You can still sign up Saturday morning with your best ARF!

Name:	Jg13951.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1252106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82022.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1252107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10482.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1252108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67055.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1252109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82483.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1252110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md52842.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1252111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78247.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1252112  
Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 AM
prangem

Very nice assortment of airplanes. Four spitfires entered, and more tomorrow. Would it be a "Vic" of spitfires, or a "brace" ?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
scale dail

More pictures from the Scale Meet. Lots of spectators that keeped thier airplanes at home when they could have entered the event.
It really is an ARF Nation...........
I'll post pictures just so I can come back here to see them.

Name:	Us52486.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1252561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87667.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1252562   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26625.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1252563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44615.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1252564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20747.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1252565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94063.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1252566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya56947.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1252567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj33386.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1252568  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq17634.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1252569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs85798.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1252570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy98919.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1252571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg35688.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1252572  
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A few words of tribute to a friend.... Ron Weiss

I had the great pleasure of knowing Ron .. we were fortunate to have him at our club from time to time..FresnoRadioModelers, Fresno, California...

I was in shock when I heard it the other day... I liked Ron from the moment I met him. He was just one of those interesting people you meet once in while..but not too often at all. I think he might have had ties somehow here in the valley(Fresno/Clovis) at one time that led him up here.. and apparently he'd been here off and on for years.. I knew he had ties to SoCal, as he did talk about it alot, and I just happened to think to check this thread to find more info.. very nice thoughts and words about him are found right here.. I know he had alot of friends.. and for good reason.

I knew all too well the "suicide slip"landings.... what a talent he had... and I do believe it went further then that.. If Im not mistaken.. he really sang in a Rock&Roll band at one time.. he didn't just put that stuff on his wing to be cool.... he was cool... very cool. Such a memorable person... he was well known here, as I'm sure he made a distinct impression everywhere he went.. a magnetic personality to be sure.

He actually stepped up at one of our events and MC'd it, announcing the whole day... he owned that mic, and he had everyone in great spirits.. and he knew everything about the planes.. and what he didn't know... he'd just walk up and interview the pilot.. it made it very interesting.. and a great success.... quite a surprise for some folks to see how that guy could really turn it on.. what a people person he was... I'll never forget that.. nor will anyone that was there. I think he was a natural at anything he tried.

He loved his Laser "Rock&Roll"(he had one heck of a story, he had stories about alot of stuff though).. and he could fly like no other.. FULL ON was his style.. no matter which way the plane was headed.... he was with that plane every second of every flight.

I'm am saddened.. as I'd hoped he'd show at our field again one day, like he used to every few years and just start up where we left off..... and now I here this.. It's probably been 6yrs or more since I'd seen him.. but he remembered everybody he came in contact with... just one of those kind of guys... I share in the loss of our fellow flying friend... thanks for posting the info and excellent words about him.... I raise my beer to my friend!!! Clear Skies and Calm Winds Ron Weiss!!!

I do believe there will be an NTSB report online for those that want to know more about what happened... I thought I'd mention that for those who might be interested, as Ron/We might want to know, so as to help someone else from trouble... he liked to help alot.. that's Ron. Thank you for reading here.. I send by sincere condolences to his family.
Dale Grant, FresnoRadioModelers, Fresno, California
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some photos from todays Scale Masters Qualifier. The Farman is a 1/2 scale, and has a 75cc Webra Bully very well hidden inside the faux 4 cylinder opposed engine. The Taylorcraft was big, not sure of the scale. The details were awesome. The P-51 belongs to Scale Dail. The Spitfire was also huge and extremely authentic looking.

Name:	Ca81982.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1253532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17005.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1253533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60436.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1253534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69950.jpg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1253535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se46019.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1253536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10125.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1253537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46421.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1253538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr61134.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1253539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Om92909.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1253540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw97480.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1253541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms79535.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1253542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nx94868.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1253543  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
EPflyer12

O great! Now a guy in the park flyer aera bought an easystar and put a camera, autopilot, and some other fancy stuff on it. Thats not the bad part. The bad part is he flys the plane over the main runway and into the pattern. Btw he doesnt care whos out there flying. The plane is a white(base color) and red, it has a camera on the nose and a thing that looks like a gyro behind the prop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.