Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

You sure were lucky. I saw that happen to a little girl once. The car spun her like a top. Thankfully she was OK, just a bit shaken up and a big raspberry on her side.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Obama is coming to SoCal Mon. to help Barbara Boxer, She needs his help to get re-elected. So do not fly your toy airplanes then. Our leaders need to be safe while cooking up new taxes!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Randy Walters

ORIGINAL: GoeKeli

Hi Matt, I saw that to, what's it all about? VIP in town?
I don't know who's in town, but about an hour ago three very loud, very shiny green Marine Corps Super Stallion helicopters flew in low and slow over my workplace and landed at the south/east end of LAX ( i work one block east of the airport). They <u>literally shook the building</u> as they approached and it sounded like a chopper was landing on the roof, so we ran outside and watched them pass over the next door buildings at about 50 feet and flared out for landing and desecended from view. The sound they made was deafening. People from other businesses were running out of their buildings to see what all the noise was.

I didn't take this pic, i just found it on the web. These three seem to come into town whever the pres or the vice pres is here, but this is as close as i've ever been. They are beautiful awesome machines.

[img][/img]

Wife and I were out in the back checkin out the yard when they flew over. Those are some awesome helos.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM

Both of them can go fly a kit...who cares...
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM

throw them out.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it's the "who cares" attitude that keeps getting them elected
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Can we reserve the political talk for Valley Flyer elections please.

Who's breaking out a trainer to fly in the wind? The warbird guys used to do that when the Santa Ana's came.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Me,Me,Me,..
I wanna play.

JP
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM

- Forwarded Message
To: [email protected];
Sent: Thu, April 22, 2010 9:02:47 AM
Subject: Sepulveda Basin meeting - URGENT

At 7:00 AM this morning I got a call from Able who is with the Parks Dept. He wanted the model airplane folks to be aware that the wildlife groups are pressuring the Army Corps. of Engineers to kick ALL model activity out of the Basin. There is a meeting this Saturday, April 24th at the Garden Center, 16633 Magnolia Blvd., Encino at 10:00 AM. Able asked that as many of us as possible show up to represent Apollo Field users. Able will be on vacation so won't be there but a personal call from him indicates that he is concerned for us. He suggested that phone calls regarding this situation be directed to Jeremy Thomas at (818) 756-8189. I have been flying at the Basin since the early 1960's and will not give up our field without a fight. I mainly fly control line so don't have contact information for all the R/C related groups. Please contact as many people as possible and pass on this information. We need a show of numbers to make our point. Thanks for your help.

Ron Duly
Southern California Air Racers
(818) 843-1748
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Exactly who are the "wildlife groups"? (2 guys and girl with one pair of binoculars?). And exactly how has our presence deleteriously affected the Basin and it's wildlife? The geese seem to be breeding just fine. Whenever I ride my mountain bike on the trails, I always see a lot of coyote poo which tells me the ecosystem is doing just fine (the first sign of a distressed ecosystem is the demise of the alpha predetor).

No doubt they will also try to get Van Nuys and Burbank airports closed as well.

OK, enough of my rant. Rationally speaking, the basin should be for ALL citizens to enjoy, golfers, bike riders, roller bladers, runners, walkers, nature enthusiasts, hikers, RC Plane enthusiasts, Control Line plane enthusiasts and plain everyday people just strolling thru the park. There is enough room for everyone!!!!

alan
Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 PM

I am pretty sure this means another waste of TAX payer dollars.

Geeze what ever happened to the term "COMMON SENSE"?

MIke R
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just forwarded that post and letter to Mike Brown, District X VP. If this is legit, the AMA needs to get involved as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Oh great, the e-mail was just kicked back. Apparently his e-mail addy as listed in Model Aviation is not good.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM

OK, just forwarded it to this guy instead:

Wesley De Cou Administration Flying Site Assistance - Western Region
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Villagers, don't forget your torches for the meeting.

alan
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found this thread today. Not from CA, in fact I've never even been there, but this thread and the stories about this place are a hoot. Especially that post #7, I laughed for a good 10 minutes after reading that one. [sm=lol.gif]

Sounds like an absolutely magical place, and I hope to see it someday. That is, if the nature folk don't get it shut down. Good luck with that, they are a wily bunch and not to be trifled with, especially if they are well organized. I hear the ones out west are even more aggressive than my own local varieties. The ones here usually have water related complaints, so I've only had to deal with threats against my RC boat.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Here ya go Tom

[email protected]

Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Gulfhawk

- Forwarded Message
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; Lee Strickland <[email protected]>; William Barber <[email protected]>; Jerry Silver <[email protected]>; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Sent: Thu, April 22, 2010 9:02:47 AM
Subject: Sepulveda Basin meeting - URGENT

At 7:00 AM this morning I got a call from Able who is with the Parks Dept. He wanted the model airplane folks to be aware that the wildlife groups are pressuring the Army Corps. of Engineers to kick ALL model activity out of the Basin. There is a meeting this Saturday, April 24th at the Garden Center, 16633 Magnolia Blvd., Encino at 10:00 AM. Able asked that as many of us as possible show up to represent Apollo Field users. Able will be on vacation so won't be there but a personal call from him indicates that he is concerned for us. He suggested that phone calls regarding this situation be directed to Jeremy Thomas at (818) 756-8189. I have been flying at the Basin since the early 1960's and will not give up our field without a fight. I mainly fly control line so don't have contact information for all the R/C related groups. Please contact as many people as possible and pass on this information. We need a show of numbers to make our point. Thanks for your help.

Ron Duly
Southern California Air Racers
(818) 843-1748
Us in the Offroad Vehicle Community have been fighting these Knuckleheads for years,,, Get the local business people aka Hobby shops, Restaurants etc to support you cause,, the economic impact argument will work in your favor..

These fascist won't stop until everyone is back riding a horse,,, then they'll complain about the manure
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Wes is no longer in that position, as of 12/31/09.

The current District X VP, Mike Brown, will be in Muncie this weekend attending the quarterly Executive Council (EC) meeting. Howeve, I jut got this email and forwarded it to Mike. I was supposed to attend another event Saturday, but I think this is a more urgent situation. I live in south Orange County and I am the closest AMA person around. I will do everything I can to be at the meeting.
The email noted above for Mike is the current and correct one.

Bill Malvey
Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM

I am sick of having the fields I fly at closed down. I used to belonged to two other glider clubs and they basically disbanded when we lost our flying sites. It seems the fields are being closed down one by one and it seems that if you want to fly you have to drive to the high desert. You go to a park to fly a tiny park flyer and the soccer crowd cries until the parks people kick you out. One field we had the park kept raising our fees until it was too much to spread out to a handful of members. One glider club I belong to flies at Pierce college and we are charged $1,500.00 a year to use a vacant field from 8:00 am-1:00 pm on Sat & Sun. I always read in MA about how the AMA is stepping up and saving fields (or helping to secure new ones) back east but it seems in Cali we are the red headed step children and we are on our own. As far as the comment about the wild life groups consisting of a couple of people and one pair of bonnoculars is probably true... but from my experience it only takes one of these crack pots to do some damage to our hobby if we do nothing or not show up. As another poster had stated, we need to bring economics into this. The hobby local shops will definately suffer if flying is banned at the Apollo field. Unfortunately there is not enough time to mount a real defense but then again there may not be a real threat but we wont know unless someone is there for the hobbists. I will be there (for what good I can do, I dont know). I am just sick of a couple of people pushing their ideas of paradise, morals, fun, and "public good" down my throat.

Robert Burn

The San Fernando Valley Radio Control Flyers
San Fernando Valley Silent Flyers
Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Make sure they follow the Law, Public hearings etc etc., They have to come up with the proof that your activity is harmful,, not the other way around,

What often happens is these groups get a Greenie Lawyer to have a Judge issue an injunction closing the area until a EIS can be conducted,, this can get it tied up for years and cost the group that want to keep it open a lot of money to fight in the courts.

Their other tactic is to sue the management agency,, in this case Army Corps, for some obscure animal or bug on the "ESL" Endangered Species List,, this is what gets a lot of offraod riding areas shut down for no good reason. Does the Spotted Owl, Desert Tortoise sound familiar? What that stupid fish that shut the water off from the Delta??

Don't take this crap lightly
I'm telling you,, these greenies are fascist, they hate you and your way of life, they'll try and get their way anyway they can. We've been fighting them for decades
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Don't take this crap lightly
I'm telling you,, these greenies are fascist, they hate you and your way of life, they'll try and get their way anyway they can. We've been fighting them for decades
This. Times a million.

My brother is a lawyer, and the stuff he's told me has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. And the dirty tactics used by these kinds of people are just on the surface.

I've been accused of killing fish with my dinky silvercan powered boat, polluting the environment with noise and pollution from my electric RC cars, and interfering with everything from cell phone reception to grandpa's pacemaker with my old tech AM transmitters. We might call them idiots and think of it as a joke, but put enough of them together in the same area with the same ideals, and you've got a mob. And that is no joke.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: MikeRuth

Here ya go Tom

[email protected]

Thanks Mike. I typo'd it by adding an extra "i" in the Cit part.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Hi - Mike Brown is sending me a package of material (via email) with information about AMA clubs that are located on, or near, wetlands, wildlife areas, nature preserves, etc. I have not had a chance to look it over yet but once I do I'll post more info. As I said, Mike is in Muncie right now and is in the right place to track down information for us.

Is there anyone from the Basin group who I can speak with about this situation? I am looking to get whatever background I can prior to tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bill Malvey
AMA Associate Vice President - District X
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Bill, I'm glad you are here and thanks for getting information about this issue. I can't think of anyone better to talk to than Jason Pakfar. Do you have his contact info?

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.