Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Skydiver Review is Up Online

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Skydiver Review is Up Online

Old 06-14-2003, 03:54 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skydiver Review is Up Online

The Skydiver review is up online. The formatting did not come out the way I had hoped it would, but still, it seems to work ok. Check out the video too!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=116

Jim!
Old 06-14-2003, 12:02 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Your review looks great. I look forward to seeing one of the Solomon Skydivers at the Skydiver Rally in Bryson City, N.C. on June 27-29. Hope you can make it.
Jim
Old 06-14-2003, 12:36 PM
xlr82v2

That looks really neat!!

Just one question:

Can you do any freefall, or does the canopy deploy as soon as the jumper is released from the drop plane?
Old 06-14-2003, 01:49 PM
JDHammer

Also have the same question about freefall. If you could control freefall flightpath, like the full-scale diver, you could do Army Golden Knights-type airshows (smoke coming out of the shoe, link-ups, cross-overs, etc.) What a blast!

One more question for pequeajim- In your review there is a picture of the jumper attached to what looks like a Telemaster. This is the same aircraft I would be using but in the picture it looks like the jumper is down in the weeds. Is this your own mount or the prototype Solomon mount that is coming out later?

Thanks, Jim.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:11 AM
pequeajim

Originally posted by xlr82v2
That looks really neat!!

Just one question:

Can you do any freefall, or does the canopy deploy as soon as the jumper is released from the drop plane?
A lot of the jumpers that guys are using have a static release string attached to the plane. When the jumper is released, the string pulls the pin. I think that this is probably the safest way to be sure the chute deploys.

Mine uses the pin to release the chute from the pack. Yes, you could freefall, but if you get into a tumble, you rund the risk of getting caught up in your chute. I guess someone could get good at it, but I'm too chicken, ya know??

Jim!
Old 06-15-2003, 12:29 AM
pequeajim

Originally posted by JDHammer

In your review there is a picture of the jumper attached to what looks like a Telemaster. This is the same aircraft I would be using but in the picture it looks like the jumper is down in the weeds. Is this your own mount or the prototype Solomon mount that is coming out later?

Thanks, Jim.

No, this is a prototype rig from Solomon. I do something similar, but I do not use a release device. I have it all built into my Porter.

Jim!
Old 06-22-2003, 02:18 PM
nick.wright
My Feedback: (16)

How do you guys release the jumpers from the planes??? Im trying to get a 1/4 scale fly baby set up for jumpers.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:46 PM
pequeajim

Nick, go to www.solomonrc.com and check out a pic of the release box. There are also pics of jupers strapped to the bottom of the plane on there too.

Check out each link in the article, most of the guys manufacturing jumpers have some sort of release designed. It should be on their web sites.

Down at the bottom of the article are links to several suppliers of jumpers.

If you go to SOlomon RC's photo page, there are several examples of drop planes.
http://www.solomonrc.com/html/photo_gallery.html

Here's mine:
http://www.solomonrc.com/html/photos_20.html

Jim!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Texas 3D

after reading pequeajim's review here on RCU I just had to get one too. Well, just received mine in the mail today Hurray After waiting for about 7 weeks I was finally able to look at one up close. Looks like a neat new toy. My kids will get a kick out of it. The color of my chute is black then white then pink, so I'll be able to see where is left and right when coming down .
My drop plane will be a Hobbistar Trainer, powered by a Irvine 72. I bought a taller main landing gear from tetherite, and a Fults nose gear. This raises the Trainer about another 3" I will build me a Drop box as per indications obtained from Solomon RC. Looks very simple and like a good solution. First wanted to cut bottom of plane open to insert backpack there, but opted for the box. This way I can use the Trainer later also for other purposes.
I'll keep you guys posted for updates on this boy.

pequeajim, did you paint yours ? What paint did you use ? I think it will have to be fuel proof, in case some of the oil or fuel form the engine gets on there.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:55 PM
pequeajim

Congrats on buying the Skydiver. They work really well and are a lot of fun requiring very little skill to fly! Great for your kids too!

I did not paint mine, but I know that Ken has.

Jim!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Howard Davidson

Default Skydiving

Good to see other guys throwing stuff off their planes!!! Myself and a flying buddy have dropped a Robbe "Charlie" skydiver for years. I'd fly the drop plane and my friend would fly the 'diver. Our original drop plane was a Big Hots which was a perfect match. I'd take off with power to spare and do a bunch of big ascending circles till my friend said he'd had enough. I'd flip the glider release latch lever and "Charlie" would free-fall as far as my friend wanted. I'd chop the throttle immediately after drop and dive for the runway and land and kill the engine. I'd then walk out onto the runway and catch "Charlie". I've since sold the "Hots" and we're now outfitting a 99" Robinhood" for the drop plane. It gets "Charlie" up OK but nothing like the "Hots" did. We need to do a lot more circles to get to altitude!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Texas 3D

well, I have not had a chance to drop mine, buit have the drop plane ready. It is a Hobbistar 60 Trainer with a Irvine 72 on the Nose. It almost has unlimited vertical by itself, so there shouldn't be any probelm dropping "The Dude" (how I call him). Hopefully ready to drop this coming weekend.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 AM
John Sedovic

Default RE: Skydiver Review is Up Online

There is another R/C SkyDiver web page and they also make and sell their own products. Jumper is 22" tall very real in looks and can be ordered in the colors you want including jump suit. Check out the following web page.

http://www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1

If you want one contact Bob Deadmond his E-mail address is on the web page.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 PM
pequeajim

Actually John, in the Solomon review, I also posted links to several other sky diver web sites, including yours.

Here are the sites that I provided links to, including yours. Are there any others that I missed?

Solomon RC

Hobby Lobby Junior

RCSkyDivers.com

John and Bob's RC Skydiving

Troy's Jumper

Little Juan's Skydiving Page

Blue Sky Skydiving

R/C Skydiving USA

Jim!
Old 09-10-2003, 02:06 PM
nick.wright

Does anyone have any pics/dimensions of their releases???? I have a 1/4 Flybaby that I want to use a jump platform.