Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Toledo 2009 - RCUniverse on site coverage

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Toledo 2009 - RCUniverse on site coverage

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toledo 2009 - RCUniverse on site coverage

It's that time of year again! The Weak Signals 55th anniversary Toledo R/C Show opened this morning with a full house of exhibitors and a lot of exciting new products and great looking static models.

The RCU staff will be posting photos of the show along with details and descriptions of new releases and what it is like to be here at the show for those who are not able to make the trip this year. If there is something you would like to see covered, or additional information about something you are interested in, please post it here and we'll make sure to get the coverage you are looking for.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Toledo 2009 - RCUniverse on site coverage

John, are you at the show? If you are, I'll have to look you up.
I'm heading down early in the morning and can have some shots posted Saturday night but the pix might not be the best as my camera doesn't take good shots indoors unless I tune them up.
Boat guy so expect a lot of boat shots but I'll also get the cool stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A video highlight from the Show Floor today.

A few moments with Advantage Hobby's Len Sabato. Len explains why Advantage is an "Advantage"!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErS4lCXr1M[/youtube]

We'll try to get more video highlights up as we can

Ken
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

We managed to get in to the show before the doors opened Friday morning. Having heard a couple of rumors of new models being released at Toledo by Horizon Hobby, we made a bee line straight back to their booth. When we arrived, we were not disappointed. Almost all of the models on display are new, and every one of them are typical Horizon Hobby with very high quality construction and finishes.

The first model to greet us is the new .60 sized Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang. Now, Hangar 9 has produced Mustang's previously, but not like this one. This model addresses one of the highest complaints of modelers wanting a realistic looking scale model - a flat finish. Hangar 9 covers the model with a new flat-finish UltraCote with panel lines and rivits printed right on the surface for an entirely new level of realism not previously seen in ARF model aircraft. Also included are all metal retractable main landing gear with spring-loaded struts and a scale located tail wheel. Radio and fuel tank access is made easy thanks to a large removable hatch that allows access to all areas of the fuse from the firewall to behind the canopy.

The next model to grab our attention is also from Hangar 9 is the aptly named Toledo Special. This attractive Golden Age style model is suitable for mid-sized glow engines or E-Flite's Power 46 outrunner motor. The two piece wing makes transporting the model painless, even in smaller vehicles.

The new E-Flite Nieuport 17 is sized perfectly for their Power 250 outrunner electric motor. The model is completely prefabricated requiring only a couple of hours of easy assembly to install your radio system and power plant before it is ready for the first flight. The model even includes the scale looking flying wires to complete the look of an authentic World War I fighter.

Parkzone has what is most likely the biggest, small model at the show. The Sukhoi SU-26m is sold in Bind and Fly (BNF) configuration, includes a 110mAh LiPo battery and charger, and is ready to be bound with any DSM2 2.4Ghz 4 channel or more aircraft transmitter.

The Hangar 9 Saratoga 40 is a great looking shoulder wing sport plane sized for mid-sized glow engines or E-Flite's Power 46 outrunner motor. The model also includes a great set of pre-finished Hangar 9 .40 size floats in addition to the standard tail dragger landing gear.

Saito's FG-20 gasoline burning 1.20 4-stroke engine is perfect for mid to large size sport and scale models. The engine offers all of the Saito benefits (quality, power, and affordable reliability) in addition to running on economical gasoline/oil mix fuel. The pump style carburetor provides the modeler with greater versatility in mounting the fuel tank and consistent performance from the beginning of the flight to the end. Also included is the ignition system so the engine can be installed in your model without any additional purchases.

Hangar 9 has been busy with new designs. New for the Toledo show is their great looking RV-4. This is a high quality sport scale model of the popular home built design. The model is covered in UltaCote and the fiberglass wheel pants and cowl are very nicely painted straight out of the box.

E-Flite's new PT-19 adds a unique twist to their line with this new model. The builder has the option of building the model for either RC or control line flying. Then, the model can be converted from one mode to the other in just a couple of minutes at the field to provide the flyer with an entirely new experience with electric powered model aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60091.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1172557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24506.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1172558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30504.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1172559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh14015.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1172560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75894.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1172561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55182.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1172562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32219.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1172563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd12948.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1172564  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Us24149.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1172565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am64270.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1172566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd26386.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1172567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx93208.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1172568  
Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a quick look at the Great Planes booth

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U010_LK7-ow&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
Old 04-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys take a look at the RF booth? There's been a video contest going on since October and they were supposed to announce the winners today. I was an entrant!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I will be heading back to the show tomorrow morning. Who is RF? I am afraid that name is not familiar to me, and I do not see a listing in the show program for an exhibitor that contains those initials.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
garygee
My Feedback: (9)

Hey can you guys get a shoot of the OMP fusion an post it
Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Ferocious Frankie

ORIGINAL: JWN

I will be heading back to the show tomorrow morning. Who is RF? I am afraid that name is not familiar to me, and I do not see a listing in the show program for an exhibitor that contains those initials.
Sorry about that. BY "RF" I meant the Real Flight simulator booth. They were supposed to announce the winners today.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Anything new on the Radio front from JR/Spektrum?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Another new model on display, and one rarely built or seen at the flying field, is the Miles Sparrowhawk. This new large scale model by Seagull Models has great looking lines and can be expected to be an honest and good flying model. Appropriate engines are those in the 1.8 cu in 2 or 4 stroke type. The model is covered in Hangar 9 UltraCote with pre-painted fiberglass cowl and landing gear fairings.

Hangar 9 has another new model to surprise us with at the show - PT-19 Profile ARF control line model for .36 size or comparable engines. While the model is patterned off of the well known primary trainer, it is in every way a stunt model and designed to fly smooth, crisp and clean aerobatic maneuvers. The model on display has an Evolution .36 control line engine installed, but a Saito FA-40CL should prove to be an equally well suited power plant.

Yet another new Hangar 9 model is their Funtana 125 ARF. The model will accept a very large range of engines and motors whether glow, gas or electric. It is covered in UltraCote iron on covering that has been printed, not painted, with the attractive and easily seen trim scheme shown. The model also includes side force generators for extreme 3D aerobatics.

E-Flite's popular mCX micro helicopter is now available with the S300 cockpit pod and tail boom support for a scale like appearance on what has been called the most stable micro helicopter available. The model is so easy to fly, even RCUniverse's own Minnflyer was able to successfully fly and land the diminutive model though by his own admission, he is not an experienced helicopter pilot. It is available either fully RTF, or BNF.

The E-Flite CX3 is now available with the good looking MD 520N fuselage. Given the full scale design has no tail rotor, it was a natural choise for this dual rotor model. It is available either fully RTF, or BNF.

If you are interested in night flying, or even in door flying with a few well placed black lights, then E-Flite's glow in the dark option parts for the mCX helicopter are something you should take a serious look at. Not only do the parts give the model a cool look when the lights are on, but they will make the model clearly visible in the dark opening up whole new flying experience.

Evolution has released their largest 2-stroke glow engine to date in the 1.20NX. This engine includes the uniquely affective cooling fines and anodized head and drive washer, while promising to deliver strong, smooth and reliable power for medium to large size model airplanes.

Also new from Evolution are in cowl smoke mufflers for their larger gasoline engines. A wrap around Pitts style muffler for the 80GX as well as dual mufflers for the 116GX and 152GX are available. A feature that really sets these high quality mufflers aside is the built in smoke fluid port. Evolution has welded the injection port at the hottest location in the muffler, directly in line of the exhaust inlet. The injection port does not simply spray the smoke fluid straight into the chamber as other smoke mufflers do, but instead has 4 very small holes drilled into the port that spray the fluid perpendicular to the exhaust inlet. This results in greater atomization of the fluid with the end result being very large amounts of dense smoke. These ports are so affective, smoke pumps can be tuned to pump less fluid to obtain the same smoke results as other mufflers.

Last, but not least, we find the E-Flite BAe Hawk 15 ducted fan jet ARF. The model has a painted fiberglass fuselage with built up balsa wing. It is designed around the E-Flite Delta-V 15 electric ducted fan unit and BL15 DF brushless motor. With the models light weight and aerodynamically clean lines, the model should prove to be a smooth and fast flyer while remaining much more affordable than larger models that require very costly power plants and radio systems.

Name:	Ec88020.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1172738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74869.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1172739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96338.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1172740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74805.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1172741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76307.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1172742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31579.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1172743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67375.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1172744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz88682.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1172745  

Name:	Db56104.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1172746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu91408.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1172747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj48179.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1172748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq69078.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1172749  
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Nothing new from JR or Spektrum that has not been seen before the show.

I do not recall seeing the OMP Fusion in their booth. There are three new models on display that have not been seen by the public before today. I'll have pictures of those models posted shortly and will double check their booth in the morning to see if I missed the Fusion over the excitement of the newer models.

I will try to get an update from the Real Flight reps at the Hobbico booth tomorrow morning.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Ferocious Frankie

Thank you John!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks for the update!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Airtronics has released the radio many have been waiting a very long time to see, the SD-10G. This brand new design is Airtronics first aircraft radio designed from the ground up to incorporate 2.4 GHz technology instead of simply adding it to an existing design. The radio system will include only the transmitter and receiver. Yes, that tiny little receiver is a 10 channel unit! In this configuration, modelers will be able to custom configure their flight packs to match their own specific needs while keeping the new radio as affordable as possible.

Also new from Airtronics is a 2.4 GHz module and antenna for their Stylus radio transmitter allowing existing owners to stay up to date with this wonderful technology. The module is a simple plug in and the antenna installs in place of the old style 72MHz part. Both are built to the highest standard with the antenna base being machined aluminum with a sturdy shield to protect the conductor between the antenna base and module. But, here is the best part. The module and antenna sell for only $99.99! That's right, you can upgrade your Stylus radio to 2.4GHz for less than half the amount most other manufacturers charge for their upgrade module and antenna. Leave it to Airtronics to bring such an exciting product to the market at such an affordable price.

Right next door to Airtronics is the Hobby People booth. As everyone knows, Hobby People are the importers and distributors of Airtronics as well as many other high quality hobby brands such as BH Models and Mark Engines. BH Models were available at special show only deep discount prices. I noticed discounts ranging from 25-33%! A brand new Mark engine was on display. This engine is so new, the one on display is the first working prototype. That engine is the soon to be released G 360. This is a twin cylinder inline 3.6 cubic engine. The engine uses a single carburetor, but dual ignition. Look for a full release later this summer.

Balsa USA has a new model that is impossible to miss. Their 1/4 scale De Havilland DH-4 has a 127" wingspan with 4100 sq. in. of area. This model will be a true floater with an expected wing loading of 17-18 oz. per sq. in. Appropriate engines are 60-80cc gasoline burners or equivalent. Aside from the shear size of this giant model, it should be a very easy project to build. The entire structure is traditional built up construction with a nicely detailed ABS cowl and scale exhaust stacks. As can be seen in the photos, a 3W 85 fits entirely inside the cowl.

Propwash Video Productions is here again this year. As in years past, they showing a teaser loop of their now famous crash videos. This year, Crasher, a new release, was the video on display. If you have never seen a P-51 pin wheel, horizontally, while in flight, you want to check out this video. Another exciting development is the soon to be released Blu Ray videos. Other companies may record their videos in high definition, but they still ship standard DVD format. Propwash Video Productions has invested in a new Sony high definition camera and Blu Ray duplicator so you can enjoy their videos in 1080p resolution in the comfort of your own home.

Boca Bearings is here once again with their full line of high quality bearings for any hobby related need. Whether you are looking for bearings for R/C car wheels, or a 200cc gasoline engine, they have a bearing to fit your needs and budget.

Name:	Yv66194.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1172878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98497.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1172879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44649.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1172880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58021.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1172881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29148.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1172882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62206.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1172883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np19751.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1172884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe14756.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1172885  

Name:	Nm91158.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1172886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se36320.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1172887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci45143.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1172888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gq70514.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1172889  
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yesterday at the show we heard that Hobby-lobby recently had a new owner. Today we got to meet the new owner, Mark Cleveland. We spent a few minutes with Marc and quickly discovered that he REALLY loves this hobby, and it dedicated to making Hobby-lobby a bigger part of the hobby than it already is. We wanted to give Mark a chance to greet our RCU members.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkGZ1tXe7FU[/youtube]

Ken
Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
R/C Skyjumper

Can we get a short vid or talk with the RC Skydivers there as some of us could not make the show and would like to see what is new in RC Skydiving
Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Yes, we have a video interview with RC Skydiving that will be posted shortly. Keep an eye here and in other areas of the site for the full RCU Magazine article which will contain all of our full length interviews.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
R/C Skyjumper

Thanks and say Hi to Dave at RC Skydiving for Don
Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
SpaceCowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Hi John; Are there any NEW inline twin gas engines in the 80cc or larger range ?

Thanks for the coverage. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Aeroworks has several new models worthy of attention. They have produced their Quick Build (QB) models for some time now which are widely regarded as being an excellent value for the money due to their high quality requiring only minimal work before they are flight ready. New models here at the show include both a 50cc sized P-51 Mustang and a great looking Cessna 195. The Mustang will include pre-installed retractable landing gear with working, sequencing inner and outer doors on the main gear. It also has a detailed cockpit. Both models will be conform to the QB line meaning all of the messy work has already been done, including gluing the hinges. All that is left will be to install your engine and radio, double check the balance, then head out to the flying field.

Also new in the 50cc size space are the Extra 300, Ultimate Biplane and Edge 540. All of these models belong to the QB line so getting one from the shipping box to the field will take only minimal time and effort.

Many of us have seen pilots at aerobatic contests standing on the flight line "flying" small models attached to the end of a stick prior to their flight in front of the judges. The idea is to refresh the pilot's memory with the sequence they are about to fly with their actual RC model. These models are typically only a few small pieces of sheet balsa only resemble an actual airplane because they have a wing, tail and fuselage. Most also have no finish beyond perhaps a few hasty swipes of colored felt tip pen. Aeroworks has two new stick practice models that are anything but typical of the average type seen. These models actually look like actual airplanes, and even have a colorful film covering pre-applied. They take less than 5 minutes to assemble and there can be no doubt what type of airplane they are.

I did not see any new inline gasoline engines other than the Mark G360 prototype to be distributed by Hobby People.

Name:	Cz79922.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1173683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23520.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1173684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25227.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1173685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35200.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1173686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24167.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1173687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev25362.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1173688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32851.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1173689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts62967.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1173690  

Name:	Rq15972.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1173691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx11752.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1173692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl55852.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1173693  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Advantage Hobby was excited to announce they are the new importer/distributor for Fliton. Fliton has a well earned reputation for producing high quality electric and glow powered aerobatic models. All of their models are fully laser cut and covered in attractive schemes that are easy to see in the air. Any rare complaint heard about the brand typically involved service should an even more rare problem arise, or a replacement part need to be ordered. Now that Advantage Hobby is managing these great models, owners will be able to enjoy their top notch customer service and support staff. And don't forget that Advantage Hobby stocks over 70,000 individual items in their catalog. They are truly a one stop shop for all of your R/C hobby needs.

How about these slick looking V Pro EDF models? V-Pro is part of OK Model Co. Ltd. and is more commonly known for their EZ line of ARF's and Pilot kits. EZ and Pilot are recognised for producing some of the highest quality R/C models in the industry. I examined a V Pro L-39 Albatross ARF and it too has same signature high quality as the EZ and Pilot lines. These models should assemble very quickly, and easily with the end result being a great flying and looking model.

Hitec has a good looking display showing their full range of R/C radios and accessories as well their Multiplex line of electric powered sport and hotliner models. These are all high quality models with sound engineering backing their designs to provide excellent performance at reasonable prices.

Though the Toledo show is generally accepted as an airplane and helicopter show, there is also a strong interest in water based scale models. Meeting this demand we find The Scale Shipyard, Microglass and Loyalhanna Dockyard as manufacturers of fiberglass boat and ship hulls and kits. Whether your interest is in military, commercial freight, utility or pleasure craft, these companies either have an available kit to fit your needs, or can custom create the perfect hull for your project. They can also help you equip your new project to make it ready for its first sea trial.

Name:	Wu60413.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1173697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24564.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1173698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87702.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1173699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92066.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1173700   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98913.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1173701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54712.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1173702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60584.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1173703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94990.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1173704  

Name:	Bz49313.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1173705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wj52319.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1173706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua16018.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1173707  
Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about some pics of the static display competition models? Usually, there's at least a few real jaw droppers among them, show me why I should really regret missing the show this year.
Oh, and don't forget Miss Weak Signals (or is it Miss Toledo?).
Come on guys, didn't you pack enough memory cards?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You're going to have ot give these guys a little time as they're probably traveling home right now. I ran into 2 out of 3 of them Saturday and they had a lot of work done by then but it can't be easy toting all of that equipment around all day.
Booth babes didn't seem to be as plentiful as last year unless I missed the good booths. From what I saw, Advantage Hobbies had one of the nicest ones.
I've got some shots posted in the General Boats forum if you want to see more, not the greatest as the lighting inside the building doesn't help.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: R/C Skyjumper

Can we get a short vid or talk with the RC Skydivers there as some of us could not make the show and would like to see what is new in RC Skydiving
Thanks
I was amazed to see their EDF powered "Jet Man" skydiver.

One of the coolest things I saw at the show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.