Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Switch

Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM
__REVO__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Switch

I'm making an RC operated switch, what do you think?
http://www.airlias.com/projects/?p=15

Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RC Switch

Very Interesting!

Will you elaborate / post some specs?

How much current can it handle, how many circuts can it control, is it programmable, dimensions, etc? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
__REVO__

It does not use a programmable microcontroler, but instead a 4013 flip-flop. This greatly reduces cost.

The "trigger point" of the switch is determined by a potentiometer, in the 3d drawing it is the big round part that is not rendered. With the dual outputs, one output is high above the trigger point, another is low below the trigger point. The second output is low above the trigger point, and high below the trigger point. This ensures all possibilities are covered (ie, someone may want the switch to be on below half throttle but others may want it off below half throttle).

Each output can put out up to 500ma of current, which I think is acceptible for now - thats basically 25 leds!

It measures roughly 1.8" by 0.8". It's a little on the large side but I wanted to use through-hole parts so that anyone could solder it themselves, as a sort of build-it-yourself and watch it work.

Here is a smaller surface mount version I made:

Measures 1.5" by 0.5" , but it is too hard to solder for people who have never soldered surface mount... so I ditched that idea and went through hole.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply!

Let's see if I understand it's operation...Since a potentiometer is used, the output current can either be: zero to full (on/off) OR variable, according to which transmitter control you choose?

Is there any Radio Frequency generated by the switch, or any interference concerns?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
KW_Counter

What is it supposed to switch?
KW_Counter