Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best bandsaw?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who makes the best bandsaw?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best bandsaw?

Hey RCers,

I am thinking about getting a bandsaw for general use. I will be using it for model work as well as larger house related upgrades etc. I am currently leaning towards something in the 14" range, but may go smaller not sure yet.

I am looking for some good first hand input as to who is making a quality piece of equipment these days that will cause me little frustration in the "dang that is screwed up...again" department.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Mode One

Default RE: Who makes the best bandsaw?

Rockwell/Delta make a really nice bandsaw that has the ability to change from metal to wood cutting by a gear shift in the back. The one I had, had a 14 inch throat. This is a fairly inexpensive commersial grade saw, but expensive home shop unit.

being able to use it for both wood and metal would be a requiset for me.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
P-51B

Would you happen to know the model #? I am guessing it is not the 14"delta at lowes.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi P51;

Greetings from the oven, [Valley of the Sun].

I have 2 bandsaws, both very good: A Laguna 18, 12" depth, 220 V, 3 HP, and a much smaller one purchased at home Depot: a Ryobi 9 or 10". the little Ryobi is more than adequate for all of my modelling needs. I purchased the big one for a very specail need back in the 90s wherein I built a full size wooden boat, and what a saw she is; with all that horsepower and a carbide tipped blade, she can rewaw 12" thick oak all day long and not work up a sweat. Earlier I owned a 2nd hand Sears Bandsaw with a 1/4>1/3 HP motor, but was very unhappy with it & sold it quick and got the Laguna.

You asked; just one bandsaw owner's input and opinion, best regards from Glendale, AZ,

Joe Nagy.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 PM
OUHOZER
My Feedback: (11)

Hi P-51,
I have a 9 in. saw by Grizzly.
I would look at their 14 in. Ultimate Bandsaw.
My neighbor has one and he loves it.
You can look Them up at Grizzly .com
Good Luck with Your serach for Your new saw.
Hoss Allen
Old 07-25-2009, 12:30 AM
TooLow

I have a 14" 5 speed that Ibought from harbor freight.So far it has not let me down in the cutting department. I also have a Ryobi bench top bandsaw for the fine stuff. Cuts a 4" stack of wing ribs slicker than sliced cheese. Replacement blades are from 1/8" to 1/2" and about $8.oo at Lowes
Old 07-25-2009, 01:41 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop fooling around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hFrjWIkcbw
Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am restoring a King-Seeley 1948 12" bandsaw made for Craftsman sold by Sears.

This saw is no bunk. It is all cast steel, not cast iron and no plastic junk. Weighs a ton and a half, rock solid and came with an original Dunlap 1/3 hp motor.

I chose to replace the four bearings and tires, a very easy job.

I paid $90 for the saw and motor, and another $40 on the parts and will compare to a $1400 floor model the way it cuts and its parts quality.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for the old brand name stuff you wont be disappointed if you don't mind doing a simple restoration before you need to start cutting. I saved myself some major cash and have something I am completely happy with. Just be sure it is complete when you buy it.

A good option if you're willing to spend a bit of effort and time on scouting machines and can enjoy a small, one week restoration job. Lots of boards out there like RCU to help out also if theres any questions. Quite a crowd I discovered for this type of thing.

This one had only simple surface rust on the table from being in an unheated garage for the last 60 years which cleaned up easy. Watch out of machines with pitting, usually no fun to deal with.

Next up is a Delta Radial Arm drill press which I just brought home and had to push room for it on the bandsaw bench. This was a $50 dollar find but it's all there and runs quiet.

Look for old tools that are in good shape first! There is a lot out there, and if you take your time and look how each are built it doesn't take long to learn what to look for.

I never expected it but this sideline hobby of collecting and restoring powered bench tools to get my RC hobby up and going has been fun so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42027.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1243457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27821.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1243458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42977.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1243459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48120.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1243460  
Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
maddog 71

I have a Wilton I bought at a farm supply store For $90 bucks It has a 11.5 inch table I use it alot since I scratch build alot of planes!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Mode One

Sorry I no longer have access to the Rockwell/Delta 14" It was close to 40 years old when I left the company.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
P-51B

Thanks Mode One.

Metallicajunkie: I think you have hit on the winner! I am guessing that one is pretty pricey, but it should be worth it to cut 1/4 in balsa down to 1/8!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

You are smart to look in the 14" range, anything smaller doesn't hold it's value at all. The Grizzly saw, mentioned already, is the best bang for your buck. It is comparable to a Delta or Jet but maybe not as nice as a Rikon or Laguna. You can then look at some really pricey Italian saws but, for a home/hobby saw the Grizz is the way to go, IMO.

For full disclosure, I have their 18" model.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM
P-51B

The ones I had researched so far were the Grizzly, the Jet, the Delta and the Craftsman stuff. Of those it seems the Grizzly and Jet get the best ratings from folks. I haven't heard of Rikon or Laguna. I'll check those out also.

Good to hear your happy with your Grizzly. The Grizzly and Jet seem fairly comparible with the Grizzly prices being a bit lower.