Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tower hobbies leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower hobbies leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:51 AM
aerofly0610

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower hobbies leaves a bad taste in my mouth

We Americans are so spoiled. I want it now and I want it my way! If you cant do that then Ill go elsewhere!

Actually that statement is an over generalized stereotype. I used to work retail (never again). I'd say maybe 1 out of 10 people had this attitude. Most people have some common sense and realized the world doesn't revolve around them. Its those small few that make such a big stink that makes all American consumers seem like spoiled self centered children. Problem is the good people are usually too busy having a life that we don't hear about their experiences.

I'm not condoning poor customer service from companies! I think poor customer service is just stupid. It takes such little effort and expense to train employees on how to handle customers. When the economy tanks people are more likely to spend their money where they get quality products and good customers service. Of course this fails when it comes down to the bottom dollar. Companies and people only care about improving profit and obtaining more money or stuff,,, common sense goes out the window. When people care more about saving $50 on their 50" LCD screen at the expense of child labor over seas, then I believe they have lost all common sense. Love of material turns the world evil.

/End Rant

Oh and Tower Hobbies rocks!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Nathan_L

I used to buy from Tower a pretty fair amount. About a year ago I made an order via the net like normal. About 2 days later I got an email saying they had combined my (2) accounts with them into one. I didn't have (2) accounts so I called. They wound up merging my fathers account and my account who at one time shared an address but not anymore. When they merged the accounts they wound up using an address he once had attached to his account from years ago and that's where they shpped it. Also when the merged accounts my membership into their club just went bye bye.

I never could get them to understand that the items they just shipped were now headed to someones house where I didn't live and not where I ordered it. That was December of '08. Never did get that package. Tower told me to take it up with the Postal Service. Over $100 down the drain. I never got an apology, nothing, all I got was one manager who said they shouldn't have done it but it was still my mistake for clicking "OK" on the shipment deal even tho he admitted it was changed AFTER I made the order on their end via an automatic computer deal....umm ok.

Everytime I tried to talk to someone there I had to go thru the entire spiel over and over and my "problem" didn't fit into their flowchart of problems. Meaning the robot on the other end had no clue how to actually problem solve and come up with a solution to the problem. I came to the conclusion that the computers were running the ordering and customer service department and the people were only there to make sure they stayed on. If I had $5 for every "the computers here don't make mistakes" it would have paid for the parts I lost on the deal.

I mean when a company admits they screwed up but can't come up with any solution other than contact the post office and tell them to go pick it up after it's delivered to someone (as it was addressed from the shipper) and bring it to you...yeah I see that working out real well.

Now I'll drive 3 hours one way and spend $1.00 at a hobby shop to avoid ordering from Tower.

At the rate I'm going I'm going to be out of places to order from. I already can't order from Horizon's website because they don't allow multiple people/names to share the same address. Everyone in the little podunk town where my address actually is shares one address for shipments..it's called the local store and the UPS/FedEx/Postal guy drops every package off and you drive over there and pick it up....Horizon can't cope with that however.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, i bet I spent close to a grand at tower in the last couple months. They have been doing me right for 30+ years. I have had only a few problems over the years, but they have always been very quick to fix it, but then I don't order on monday when I need it Tuesday. They have done pretty darn good by me.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

You used to be a really fast shipper, now for some reason you've become slow as a snail..On my last order I had to pay like 18 bucks in shipping because I ordered a glow plug driver on tuesday and I needed it by Friday, the order taker said she couldn't guarantee if it would get to my house by friday..I had to go 2 day delivery..The order before that took over a week to get to my house by priority mail (priority mail to my house is at the most 3 days)...Tower are you like delaying shipping or something?...I'm through with you, I just ordered parts on RC planet that were cheaper then your site and only 5 bucks shipping
I don't order from them because I am in the same state, therefore I pay tax.

I buy from the LHS or other out of state websites.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Mopar Or Nocar

I've ordered from tower quite a few times, and everytime it arrives right on schedule..
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here lately I've been fed up with Tower (& Horizon) setting on your order for a week before they pick it and get it ready to ship.

So I started ordering from Advantage. I order both Horizon and Tower stuff from them. Advantage uses Tower's and Horizon's inventory as their own. Tower and Horizon will immediatedly pick an order for Advantage. Advantage sends the van around to the other two places (All three are on the same quadrant of town. Advantage gets my order out the same day.

Once the order is shipped, one of those places is as good as the other.

Tower has probably read this thread as it has been up for six or seven months. I bet they pick orders immediately now? They used to. If you called before 11AM, the order went out that day.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems to me that Tower has gotten back to there lightening fast shipping over the past year. My Last three orders have all been shipped the same day I've ordered them and UPS and the USPS have been good.

It did seem like Tower was slipping there for a while but I'd say give them another try......
Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

You used to be a really fast shipper, now for some reason you've become slow as a snail..On my last order I had to pay like 18 bucks in shipping because I ordered a glow plug driver on tuesday and I needed it by Friday, the order taker said she couldn't guarantee if it would get to my house by friday..I had to go 2 day delivery..The order before that took over a week to get to my house by priority mail (priority mail to my house is at the most 3 days)...Tower are you like delaying shipping or something?...I'm through with you, I just ordered parts on RC planet that were cheaper then your site and only 5 bucks shipping
I hear your pain, bug!
My company offers our customers same day shipping on in-stock items. We charge market rates for our products and actual shipping charges, plus we ship by the method paid for - in other words - UPScharges paid, UPSmethod used. We are not the cheapest, we're not interested in being the cheapest. We're interested only inDELIVERINGyour order as you expect it - correct, with product value as we state it to be - no shortcuts, no jive. We place significance on having your order in-stock. That's something Tower does, they meet the objective the manufacturer has mandated - they carry inventory. Tower could lose that $5 shipping rate, though, for it is nothing more than a Bulk Transfer using UPS delivered gunny sacks to a bulk mail postal arena - with no tracking service available.
Don't get me wrong, I am a penny pincher to the tilt - loving a good deal - Hobby King is a favorite - but I know what I am ordering and what I will probably receive and am willing to wait for it.
In the case of Tower, they're making up for slow moving stock.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: aerofly0610

We Americans are so spoiled. I want it now and I want it my way! If you cant do that then Ill go elsewhere!
That attitude isn't a bad thing. It's what drives capitalism and pushes us to bigger and better things.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
on_your_six

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too will do anything I can to find an item anywhere BUT Tower... Nothing but problems there... and they sit on a credit card order for 48 hours...

Nathan... If I were you, I would add a Box Number or Suite # to your common address... just make something up... the delivery man will know what to do with the packages and Horizon's computer will never know what hit it..

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L
At the rate I'm going I'm going to be out of places to order from. I already can't order from Horizon's website because they don't allow multiple people/names to share the same address. Everyone in the little podunk town where my address actually is shares one address for shipments..it's called the local store and the UPS/FedEx/Postal guy drops every package off and you drive over there and pick it up....Horizon can't cope with that however.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
ciscovet

deleted....
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Here lately I've been fed up with Tower (& Horizon) setting on your order for a week before they pick it and get it ready to ship.

So I started ordering from Advantage. I order both Horizon and Tower stuff from them. Advantage uses Tower's and Horizon's inventory as their own. Tower and Horizon will immediatedly pick an order for Advantage. Advantage sends the van around to the other two places (All three are on the same quadrant of town. Advantage gets my order out the same day.

Once the order is shipped, one of those places is as good as the other.

Tower has probably read this thread as it has been up for six or seven months. I bet they pick orders immediately now? They used to. If you called before 11AM, the order went out that day.
nope, they still take their sweet a@@ time......doesn't matter if i spend 50 bucks or 300 bucks...........now if i click 2nd day on the order, the stuff gets out the door in an instant.
i have an order in right now for almost 200 bucks, and yet it's still being picked and packed for the last 2 dats now.

lately i have been ordering stuff through my Hobbytown and it gets ti my hands within 2 days, and for the same price.
it's a ticker, you pay to be a club saver and they won't even ship your stuff for 2-3 days.........
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM
FLYBOY

Just got done unpacking another order from them. I got it in 4 days and it was about $400. They still do pretty good. I can't beat their shipping for free and the prices are good, and they even gave me another $60 off just for ordering. You can't beat it.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I order from Advantage anymore. They are in the same town and I can order both Horizon and Hobbico stuff from them. It always ships same day and the price is right.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I USED TO be a loyal customer with Tower. Until I started experiencing the same shipping delays.

Some of you guys are being REALLY sarcastic and downright nasty. Just because YOU happen to get your orders in 2 or 3 days DOES NOT mean other guys aren't paying for expedited shipping and waiting a week or more. So simmer down and don't be so harsh to criticize those of us who HAVE had to wait extended periods even though we paid extra money for quick shipping options. Are you calling those of us with shipping delays liars? It feels that way........

It's not about instant gratification. It's about SERVICE. CUSTOMER SERVICE, to be exact. If I place an order early Monday morning and I pay for 2-day shipping via UPS - well damn it I expect the darn box to arrive by Thursday afternoon at the latest. That gives them all day Monday to sit on their butt. They might actually pick and box the order Tuesday. Then the shipping company can pick it up Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. I should get it by Thursday. Friday at the VERY LATEST. Even then - thats 5 whole business days to send out a package that was supposed to ship in 2 days.

And some of you guys act like thats an unreasonable expectation......... whatever dude.

I can't believe some of you guys are arguing semantics over WHO is the shipper and WHO ain't. TOWER HOBBIES TOOK MY MONEY!!! Far as I'm concerned - TOWER HOBBIES IS THE SHIPPER!!!

Tower sold out to the employees several years ago. It's an ESOP company now. I noticed the shipping delays about 3-4yrs ago and it just gets worse and worse with each passing season.

I mainly shop at other vendors now. I still order from Tower, but only when I can get it CHEAP and I don't need it in a hurry. I NEVER pay Tower extra money for quick shipping - not anymore. I could buy a couple gallons of gas for the cost of the quick shipping. At least I know I can use the gas right away.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tower has undeniably the worst shipping in the industry and has consistantly deteriorated at least here in the southwest that I have sought alternatives this year and quite succesfully.

They have been incapable of getting any orders out of their doors now for several years in less than three days. If you pay additional charges for two day shipping it only means they ship in two days. Many folks here in northern Arizona have been burned on that one.

John
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 PM
summerwind

funny, i have friends who aren't club savers, and their orders go out the same day they place them.
i'm a club saver, and i always place an order that qualifies for the free shipping and that's where i get blown off...........like John said tho, pay for the second day shipping and the order always gets out the door that same day...........i buy enough stuff throughout the year that i more than get the best money deals out of Tower, but their handling of my shipments just plain sucks.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot
I USED TO be a loyal customer with Tower. Until I started experiencing the same shipping delays.
Tower sold out to the employees several years ago. It's an ESOP company now. I noticed the shipping delays about 3-4yrs ago and it just gets worse and worse with each passing season.
That should have made them better not worse??
My Mom is still living on the stock options my Grandfather bought into when he worked for Standard Oil (Chevron)

What has happened to the American worker anyway??

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Tower has undeniably the worst shipping in the industry and has consistantly deteriorated at least here in the southwest that I have sought alternatives this year and quite succesfully.

They have been incapable of getting any orders out of their doors now for several years in less than three days. If you pay additional charges for two day shipping it only means they ship in two days. Many folks here in northern Arizona have been burned on that one.

John
I don't know about the "worse" but I will say I ordered a few things recently, Including a 12volt 7 amp battery, and the battery wasn't secured in the box with any of the smaller parts, just sliding around loose in the bigger box. How it didn't damage anything i don't know.

Expecting a company that size to get an order out same day or first thing next day is ridiculous,, If you want that you'll need to order from a mom and pop ebay seller and roll the dice. My last Tower order took 4 days, regular UPS ground shipping, I know, I'm only 2 states away, Just figure 2 days processing on anything and you'll be happy.

I agree,, Paying the 2 day shipping upgrade is a waste

Like others have said, if you need it quicker than that go to your LHS and pay the couple $$ more
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot
That should have made them better not worse??
My Mom is still living on the stock options my Grandfather bought into when he worked for Standard Oil (Chevron)

What has happened to the American worker anyway??

John
I don't know about the ''worse'' but I will say I ordered a few things recently, Including a 12volt 7 amp battery, and the battery wasn't secured in the box with any of the smaller parts, just sliding around loose in the bigger box. How it didn't damage anything i don't know.

Expecting a company that size to get an order out same day or first thing next day is ridiculous,, If you want that you'll need to order from a mom and pop ebay seller and roll the dice. My last Tower order took 4 days, regular UPS ground shipping, I know, I'm only 2 states away, Just figure 2 days processing on anything and you'll be happy.

I agree,, Paying the 2 day shipping upgrade is a waste

Like others have said, if you need it quicker than that go to your LHS and pay the couple $$ more
you got to be kidding?

it's usually the other way around sir. Tower used to always get things shipped the same day whether you paid for upgraded shipping or not.............thing is (pay attention here) non club saver members palce an order and it goes out same day............us club members trying to take advantage of the free shipping get reamed. not to mention that my last 3 orders had a wrong item sent.......i fly airplanes, but i'm now the proud owner of 1-helicopter shaft set for god knows what, 1-set of axles for some offroad vehicle, and 1 set of on road tires for a car. did Tower send the right parts afterwords....yes, and those got shipped the same day.
i'll never stop using Tower because they do have the best customer service, but i wish they would have some consistency in shipping.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 AM
summerwind

in fairness to Tower tho, their competitor is really slow
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

deleted
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Stuntpilot51

I wonder how bitter the taste will be when the OP orders from Hobby King.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: summerwind
you got to be kidding?

it's usually the other way around sir. Tower used to always get things shipped the same day whether you paid for upgraded shipping or not.............thing is (pay attention here) non club saver members palce an order and it goes out same day............us club members trying to take advantage of the free shipping get reamed. not to mention that my last 3 orders had a wrong item sent.......i fly airplanes, but i'm now the proud owner of 1-helicopter shaft set for god knows what, 1-set of axles for some offroad vehicle, and 1 set of on road tires for a car. did Tower send the right parts afterwords....yes, and those got shipped the same day.
i'll never stop using Tower because they do have the best customer service, but i wish they would have some consistency in shipping.
No, I'm not kidding,,
If you pay to be in that super saver club, it just gives you some perks, like the free basic shipping, it's not a VIP pass to the front of the line.
I only make 1-2 orders a year from Tower, so that option is a waste to me.
Seems to me over the last 15 years the shipping times haven't changed much if any

I think people in general have unrealistic expectations these days,,,,

p.s.
they have shipped me the wrong parts on one or twp occasions too,,, I like Freebies
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
FLYBOY

John

You do have a point. They don't take a 2 day shipping order and fill it right away. That would really tick me off if I needed it in 2 days and they waited 3 to fill it then sent it 2 day.

I think the biggest problem they have is that they have grown so big, and instead of having a larger number of pickers, they have the delay. I once worked for a company that had similar problems. They grew too big and didn't want to hire more order pickers, so they let people wait a couple days for the most part. Usually it was ok, but it didn't work. They ended up changing the system big time so everyone would get it the next day, but it shipped out of Idaho so you couldn't get it that day, and they are no longer in business. Not a good deal. hopefully they will figure out a good way in time.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

I'll take towers shipping over Horizons any day of the week. I ordered a part from Horizon, they shipped it ups to Rancho Cucamonga from Champaign 2 days, transferred to USPS took 5 days to go 8 miles. I order from Tower, if they ship from Reno it takes 2 days to receive; if shipped from Champaign takes less than a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.