Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

GYRO in airplanes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
ekamouse86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GYRO in airplanes!!!

Hi everyone. i'm kinda new to this hobby. (already crashed some planes and helis) and still learning. i was reading some ideas about smooth flying, and ran to this newly technology that some people are actually using gyro (gyro 350 or 351) on their plane. can anyone help me and explain the benefits of using gyro in airplanes.

thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 AM
beepee

Default RE: GYRO in airplanes!!!

ekamouse,

Gyros are used in fixed wing aircraft for a variety of reasons. Mostly to stablize a particularly bad characteristic of a specific plane. Not an issue in a trainer. If you used one at this stage of learning, you would only slow up the process.

I have a rate gyro in yaw (rudder) on a short tailed biplane. Without it, it can be a bear in ground handling and very difficult in crosswind. With it, the bipe becomes a very different, much more friendly flyer. I have mine switchable so that it does not function other than on the ground or on approach, etc. Left on in the air, it screws up aerobatics and drains the battery ('cause it is constantly trying to fix my stick action). I know of guys that use them on twins to help reaction to an engine out situation.

Before everyone jumps in to say this is cheating, don't. Anything that makes this hobby more fun is part of it and not cheating (outside of competition, of course). For that matter, an electric starter is cheating, an ARF is ... I could go on for ever.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...and many full size aircraft have full-time gyros on the rudder, only they call them "yaw dampers". That's the same kind of purpose you see on model helis to tame the tail...and, as beepee mentions, on a model that needs help in the handling department. However, not all models need them, but many flyers use them to help out in takeoffs where the model is a handful. It lowers the stress level and makes flying much more fun.

I don't believe they are allowed in Pattern competition, but don't know about Scale competition. They are a necessity in heli flying. If you want to compete, check the rules for the type of event you'll be entering.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Some use them in Jets and as mentioned in short moment war birds....

if you are just learning, then now is not the time to use them.

I know they are not allowed in pattern or IMAC competition....
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
ekamouse86

ok, so what you guys are saying is, since im still new and learning this hobby; using the gyro for my planes is not a good idea at this point. correct me if im wrong!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I would say correct.....

learn to fly the airplane...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM
ekamouse86

what is the best, easy, and cheapest way to learn extremely well how to fly the RC plane? does simulator help? also what is the best trainer? should I go electric, or glow?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I would say correct.....

learn to fly the airplane...
+5
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the gyro in all of my jets. nose gear only. as the take off's and landing are at a higher rate of speed, nose wheel gyro add's just a little help on tracking.

Mark
Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 AM
ekamouse86

which gyro are you using?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 AM
trioval00

which gyro? any cheap one works great on an aircraft, you can use a gyro on ailerons, rudder, or even elevator. any cheap one will work great.

Mark
Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
ekamouse86

in scale 1 to 10 (10 would be the best) how helpful would be to use gyro during the first flight(s). how does it affect the flight?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
trioval00

hard to put a number on the use of the gyro. reason being, where do you think you need it and what type of aircraft do you plan on putting the gyro in. as for mine, I only use the gyro to help with ground steering. if you are planning on using a gyro on a trainer in the ailerons, number might be a 3 or 4. but if you are wanting to try it in a warbird on ailerons, maybe a 7or8 might be the number.

i guess you can set up a gyro on ailerons and elevator and if set up right, the plane would fly straight and level with out any help.

One suggestion and a very important one at that. as for the type of gyro, a cheap standard gyro, DO NOT use a heading hold gyro.

Mark
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM
ekamouse86

i'm planning to use gyro on CESSNA 182 skylane, the gold edition. what do you think? and in which part should i use? do i even need to use?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 AM
beepee

Going back to my original statement - for learning on a reasonable performing airframe, it is not going to do you much good. More harm than good. I think the Futaba Co-Pilot would be a better addition, but then only detuned to give very small influence on flight.

Bedford
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 AM
trioval00

I would fly the cessna first without the gyro...... if you then notice it is a handfull, then try to fly with the help of a gyro...

Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

I agree that Cessna doesn't need a gyro. You should really heed the advice given by others and about to be repeated by me.

Don't use one until you know how to fly and have a plane (or heli) that really needs it!

You need to educate that left thumb to do more than jam the throttle to the stop, and on a tricycle gear trainer, a jet, or a warbird, (and especially a heli) you have to understand how to properly use the rudder channel for ground handling as well as flying. Sure, that gyro might help in a nasty crosswind, but what is that going to teach the pilot?

If you are worried about your skill (or lack thereof) then you should at least consider a simulator or better yet, go to your local club field and ask about learning to fly. The club may have a trainer plane and buddy box system for just this purpose, or I'm sure they have instructor pilots who will not only help you learn to fly your plane, but they can also educate you on proper set-up, pre flight checks, and maintenance procedures.

A little education can go a long way towards your enjoyment and safety.

By the way, I am just about to fly my first gyro equipped fixed wing, and I've been flying for over 20 years! It's only because I am just about ready with a 1/4 scale 1930's Wedell Williams racer. It has such a tiny rudder that I was told it's a real handful without it, so I went for it.

If you decide that after all of this you just have to have a gyro, just make sure you have the ability to turn it off via your radio with an easy to reach switch.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned crashing a few different types of planes so far in your endeavor to learn to fly these tricky things, but I don't remember any mention of a Trainer Type of model. I would suggest you invest in a model of moderate size and power, get an
Instructor or experienced RC pilot to be with you a for a few flights until you can Take Off, make a few circuits of the field, do a few simple aerobatics and then Land safely. Once you can do that, and it will happen, most all of us here have "been there, done that,"
so we know it works. Oh, one other thing, learn to do repairs. Someone has said and it is on record somewhere, "they always fly better after each crash." Good luck and have fun. Grampaw
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 AM
ekamouse86

thanks for all your help and support. currently i have cessna 182 skylane converted to electric. im pretty good at it. i can all the tricks as far as "BASIC" flying. i was gonna use gyro for the better and more smooth flying.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 AM
dude7422

deal extreme has a good cheap gyro hh and rate
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20020