Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Beware of Horizon Hobby

Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
stev337
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beware of Horizon Hobby

Have always had GR8 service and extreme courtesy from HH. Try the business type approach and present all your documentation to HH. I'm sure that this is some type of mixup and that they will eventually make things right.

Balsa and dirt do not play well. Dirt always wins.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I've had great service and support with Horizon, especially before I became sponsored by them.

And, FedEx is awesome.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
plane-o-joe
My Feedback: (2)

I have sent many items to HH and they have always gone way beyond what I expected. Examples: JR Radio out of warranty repaired and I was charged only for shipping, E-flite 400 outrunner sent for repair and new one sent back, and E-flite 400 can motor that I explained in advance was my fault for smacking it nose down was replaced. All three of these were done with no questions asked. My question is...How do you get better service than this??? And no I'm not associated with HH in any way. HH has been like a friend and it's my way of showing in a small way that I appreciate what they have done for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Bruferrit
My Feedback: (19)

I see that the original poster has not made any comments after all that has been posted, I kinda wounder Why!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
JPGale

So I have one real complaint about HH. I sent a rx, servos and battery back to HH that I had smashed into the ground quite hard because of a fault in the rx, they checked it out, replaced it and sent it all back to me at no cost to myself. In the report they sent me HH told me that I was not running a big enough battery (it was the spektrum battery that came with the radio). They went on to tell me that if I draw 2.4 amps of current then I need to have a 2400mAh battery otherwise bad things would happen. Now I am no electronic engineer but I am an engineer and I have known electronic engineers working on battery charging systems, they explained mAh to me. All the 2400mAh would do is provide current at 2.4A for 1 hour. It is not a max current draw. If I had a 1200mAh then at 2.4A the battery would drain in 30 mins. The fact of the matter was that before I sent the rx back I had checked out the system and I knew what the problem was, the rx caused the servos to jump when vibrated. It kinda peed me off that they would say this and imply that it was my fault.

Other than that I have been exceedingly happy with HH, to the point I changed from Futaba to Spektrum because of the excellent service on a Saito I had.

James
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
DR.B.S.

I don't know what some of these people are talking about because as far as I'm concerned Horizon Hobby has about the worst customer service in the market today, period. I can go on and on about stories from other people and myself but I wont belabor the message board. But one can always' tell, when a response is a bad one for Horizon who works for them and who just got lucky. Overall their customer service sucks bad, period. Its always the consumer's fault with those people. As I told them when I called them when I opened the box of a plane that I bought and it had a whole punched through the bottom of the installed belly pan from the inside out, and they told me it was my fault and I would have to pay for shipping both way's and repairs, It is my fault for buying one of your products, Never again. That was 5 years ago. Never bought from them again, never will again.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 PM
htjoel

From a personal standpoint, Horizon Hobby has always treated me very well when it came to customer service issues. Most recently, my wife bought me a Parkzone F4U Corsair for my birthday. She purchased it from an LHS, and when I opened the box, I found that the foam on one wing had 'bubbled up' from ambient heat. (I live in Las Vegas.) As it was a brand-new product, I tried to take it back to the LHS for an exchnge and was disappointed when I found out that they had no more in stock.
I called Horizon Hobby as was suggested by the LHS, and they replaced the Corsair no questions asked!
They even sent me a UPS label PRE-PAID to return the defective one to them. I packed up the defective Corsair and had it picked-up by UPS on Monday-on Wednesday morning, my wife opened the door to a BRAND-NEW, Perfect in-the-box Corsair! They shipped the new one even before they received the defective one back!
As far as I'm concerned, Horizon is very easy to deal with. I am not saying they are perfect, the return policies on Li-Po batteries seem to be a little less flexible than with other companies, but on the whole, I am VERY satisfied with Horizon as a company that provides excellent customer service.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
tony0707

hi i too have nothing but good to say about HH's customer servicethey have given me costomer service way over the top of what they had to doand this is a note to explain just how much i did appreciate the special attension i am just a customer of theres when i need there products ENJOY REGARDS TONY LENTINI "the omega man " think pink !!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:07 PM
matthew__ruane

I find it odd that the original author hasn't replied at all.

If he really was out 300$ I'd think he'd at least acknowledge the way his thread has moved...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I have many dealings with hoizon hobby repair and all of them have been good. They repaired a jr8103 of mine, free of charge and free return shipping. They replaced a ultrastick 60 ARF of mine that crashed when the fuel tank split open in flight.

I must say they have bent over backwards to make me happy everytime I have called with a problem.

I will continue to do business with them because they really do seem concerned that thier customers stay happy.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only had good experience's with Horizon. Purchased new radio's direct, sent product back for repair, was either fixed or replaced at no charge, and always follow up from their end. Once in a while, something will fall thru the crack's, but insurance, signature delivery receipt's, etc., should be the norm. Why would someone send a radio, especially something with a higher cost with no proof of delivery? That is controlled on the sender's end. Is it possible that these distributor/manufacturer's, phone call's and mail, from someone claiming they sent product, when they didn't? There are more scam's going on today of folks trying to get something for nothing. INSURE, PROOF OF DELIVERY, SIGNATURE RECEIPT. It doesn't cost that much.

Crank
Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 PM
lorenzofgrs
My Feedback: (-1)

definitelly the worst plase to buy rc products. I had the same experience and the last thing they think of is the costumer..
Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lorenzofgrs

definitelly the worst plase to buy rc products. I had the same experience and the last thing they think of is the costumer..
Why would that plase (place) think of the costumer. They don't supply Halloween costumes to costumers.

Maybe Horizon can't start sending out spelling and grammar worksheets with all the awesome service returns they're doing.

And why would a company even have a customer service department if the customer is the last thing on their mind.
I will bet that every one of these "bad Horizon" stories have extenuating circumstances that aren't being fully disclosed.

Just my take...but I know a little about HH and what the company make-up is all about. You'd be hard-pressed to find better.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

I don't do business with HH any longer myself. Three problems, and each time it was as if they had no customer service, or they could just care less.

Question- Have you ever tried to contact there so called customer service? I have and you will be lucky if you can get threw to them.

I have no problem fully disclosing my " BAD HORIZON" stories email- [email protected] no problem at all shoot me a email

Just my take... I know a little about HH and what the company make-up is all about myself from personally dealing with them. You'd be hard pressed to find any company with such a lack of customer support.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TheDood

I've been a modeler for 15 years and don't plan on quitting anytime soon.

This is from the original post. Yet the guys profile says he's only been building and flying for 11 years.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....................
The guy joined RCU 6 years ago. Do you update your profile every year to avoid idiots insinuating you are a liar? I am surprised he has not had anything additional to say, but your "investigative reporting" is just BS.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM
budchugger
My Feedback: (1)

Horizon has always made good on everthing I have sent them. Never send anything USPS if you want it to get there and always buy insurance.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM
DR.B.S.

[quote]ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: lorenzofgrs

Why would that plase (place) think of the costumer. They don't supply Halloween costumes to costumers.

Just my take...but I know a little about HH and what the company make-up is all about. You'd be hard-pressed to find better.

Well, the two yout's abound, lol. Great Planes, SIG and Midwest have excellent customer service. May I suggest following this as a model for HH ?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

If you have a signature, You should be able to retrieve your motor and controller...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Xwingnut
My Feedback: (24)

HH has always treated me with respect and great service. I have a close friend that lost all his possessions to a house fire a few months ago. When things settled down and he got to the RC stuff he called HH and asked them about the Spektrum receivers that only received smoke damage. They told him to pack them up and send them in (over a dozen of them).

When the receivers arrived at HH they contacted my friend and told him even though all the receivers checked out fine they decided to replace them all at no cost to him because they didn't want him to have any problems in the future. They said smoke damage is very corrosive and could possibily cause the receivers to eventually fail. They upgraded all his AR6100e to the newer AR6110e. Highly doubt H/C would have done that with their Assassinaton Receivers!!

When shipping hundreds of dollars of items the USPS Signature Required option is well worth the few bucks as you will know exactly who/when signed for the package. Then you'll have solid information with a name to act on should a problem such as the OP has described.

Regards,
Xwing
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 AM
mclina

I have always had great service from Horizon. I once bought a radio system at my LHS, tested it before installing it in a plane, and after installing it, I could not get the RX to work. I didn't want to tear it all out of the plane to return it, so I called Horizon. Before I even finished explaining the problem, the guy just asked for the RX model and put a new one in the mail. No questions asked, and he didn't want me to send in the defective RX.

I am also a big fan of Hobby City. There is no beating their prices on LiPo's and motors, and I am now starting to look at their glow engines. I have saved a ton of money with them, and they have never screwed up an order. That being said, I would never expect any kind of warranty service from them. If I get a dud, I will chalk it up to all of the money I saved with them in the past. So far, I haven't gotten a dud.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

I didn't read this whole thread but, there's always 3 sides to every story. Your side, their side and the truth. Horizon Hobby has never given me anything short of EXCELLENT customer service over the many years I've been in the hobby. I highly recommend their product support department to resolve any issues one can have with their products.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Horizon HObby is a great company. I hope they're around for a long time to come.

I don't believe they'd shaft anyone.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Your initial mistake was to use USPS for shipment!! The problem is NOT with Horizon Hobby - its our postal system that is basicly in the toilet. Their tracking system sucks

In 30+ years in the hobby I've never had a problem with Horizon's customer service - it has been outstanding. On the other hand, I recently received a Prority Service that took 6 days to reach me. Prority Service is supposed to take 3 days.

Hang in there.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (34)

Can anyone tell me how to unsubscribe from this thread?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Top of the page, click remove subscription

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.