Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New USAF Drone/Lockheed Skunk Works

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New USAF Drone/Lockheed Skunk Works

Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New USAF Drone/Lockheed Skunk Works

Have you guy's seen this ? The Beast of Kandahar. Flying over Afghanistan now, probably doing some time over Iran. I realize this is on the wrong RCU area. Did Germany have something like this WW II ? It is stealth, supposed to be super secret.
Should be able to buy the Monogram plastic model exact copy of this soon.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11195.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1330116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60266.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1330117  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New USAF Drone/Lockheed Skunk Works

We are lucky that the Germans were under bad management.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Skunk Works is a Kewl place...
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Free Bird

I found this on the net, sorry no pics.

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US Air Force on Tuesday confirmed for the first time that it is flying a stealth unmanned aircraft known as the "Beast of Kandahar," a drone spotted in photos and shrouded in secrecy.

The RQ-170 Sentinel is being developed by Lockheed Martin and is designed "to provide reconnaissance and surveillance support to forward deployed combat forces," the air force said in a brief statement.

The "RQ" prefix for the aircraft indicates an unarmed drone, unlike the "MQ" designation used for Predator and Reaper aircraft equipped with missiles and precision-guided bombs.

Aviation experts dubbed the drone the "Beast of Kandahar" after photographs emerged earlier this year showing the mysterious aircraft in southern Afghanistan in 2007.

The image suggested a drone with a radar-evading stealth-like design, resembling a smaller version of a B-2 bomber.

A blog in the French newspaper Liberation published another photo this week, feeding speculation among aviation watchers about the classified drone.

The air force said the aircraft came out of Lockheed Martin's "Skunk Works," also known as Advanced Development Programs, in California the home of sophisticated and often secret defense projects including the U-2 spy plane, the F-22 fighter jet and the F-117 Nighthawk.

The photo of the drone in Afghanistan has raised questions about why the United States would be operating a stealth unmanned aircraft in a country where insurgents have no radar systems, prompting speculation Washington was using the drones for possible spying missions in neighboring Iran or Pakistan.

The Sentinel was believed to have a flying wing design with no tail and with sensors built into the top side of each wing, according to published photos.

The RQ-170 is in line with Defense Secretary Robert Gates' request for more intelligence and surveillance resources and with the Air Force chief of staff's plans to expand the fleet of unmanned aircraft, the air force said.

The new drone is flown by the 30th Reconnaissance Squadron out of Tonopah Test Range in Nevada, which is under Air Combat Command's 432nd Wing at Creech Air Base, also in Nevada.

The United States has carried out an extensive bombing campaign against Al-Qaeda figures in Pakistan using the Predator and larger Reaper drones.

Robots or "unmanned systems" in the air and on the ground are now deployed by the thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, spying from the sky for hours on end, searching for booby-traps and firing lethal missiles without putting US soldiers at risk.

FB
Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

I found this on the net, sorry no pics.

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US Air Force on Tuesday confirmed for the first time that it is flying a stealth unmanned aircraft known as the ''Beast of Kandahar,'' a drone spotted in photos and shrouded in secrecy.

The RQ-170 Sentinel is being developed by Lockheed Martin and is designed ''to provide reconnaissance and surveillance support to forward deployed combat forces,'' the air force said in a brief statement.

The ''RQ'' prefix for the aircraft indicates an unarmed drone, unlike the ''MQ'' designation used for Predator and Reaper aircraft equipped with missiles and precision-guided bombs.

Aviation experts dubbed the drone the ''Beast of Kandahar'' after photographs emerged earlier this year showing the mysterious aircraft in southern Afghanistan in 2007.

The image suggested a drone with a radar-evading stealth-like design, resembling a smaller version of a B-2 bomber.

A blog in the French newspaper Liberation published another photo this week, feeding speculation among aviation watchers about the classified drone.

The air force said the aircraft came out of Lockheed Martin's ''Skunk Works,'' also known as Advanced Development Programs, in California the home of sophisticated and often secret defense projects including the U-2 spy plane, the F-22 fighter jet and the F-117 Nighthawk.

The photo of the drone in Afghanistan has raised questions about why the United States would be operating a stealth unmanned aircraft in a country where insurgents have no radar systems, prompting speculation Washington was using the drones for possible spying missions in neighboring Iran or Pakistan.

The Sentinel was believed to have a flying wing design with no tail and with sensors built into the top side of each wing, according to published photos.

The RQ-170 is in line with Defense Secretary Robert Gates' request for more intelligence and surveillance resources and with the Air Force chief of staff's plans to expand the fleet of unmanned aircraft, the air force said.

The new drone is flown by the 30th Reconnaissance Squadron out of Tonopah Test Range in Nevada, which is under Air Combat Command's 432nd Wing at Creech Air Base, also in Nevada.

The United States has carried out an extensive bombing campaign against Al-Qaeda figures in Pakistan using the Predator and larger Reaper drones.

Robots or ''unmanned systems'' in the air and on the ground are now deployed by the thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, spying from the sky for hours on end, searching for booby-traps and firing lethal missiles without putting US soldiers at risk.

FB

This bird, or one very much like it, has been flying for a decade or so and is on television show adverts daily.

I wish I could collect some money from all of those that bet me that a flying wing couldn't fly without a vertical stabilizer. I'd have enough to buy an original Kaos 60 kit, I'll bet.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Your second image shows German markings AND a tail-hook? Since when did they care about a tail-hook?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

I know someone that works for lockheed. they don't say what their doing but says he loves going to work. Got to love that!!!!!!

gary
Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a tailhook its a tail wheel to prevent over rotation; like a wheelie bar on a drag car. Its in German but still good to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFaY...eature=related
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
KrisG

Hi Crank,

The Germans had prototypes flying that looked a whole lot like these, more than 60 years ago. They are called "Horten" type flying wings, and they don't need a vertical stab because the lift has some kind of a "bell" shaped distribution spanwise, with a lot of negative angle of attack at the wing tips.

Kris
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
AndyKunz

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's an excellent book on the Horten planes. I have it at home, bought it when it came out from Specialty Press last year. It goes into the aerodynamics a bit, but mostly they handled yaw by wingtip drag controls, not washout.

Andy
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM
dhal22

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my uncle, an aeronautical engineer, spent 7-10 years working in secrecy on a project for Rockwell, his lifelong employer. this was back in the 80's. the only thing i ever got out of him was there was a complete lack of vertical surfaces on the project. he has many patents, all assigned to Rockwell of course, but none the less it's always neat to listen to his stories.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 AM
KrisG

Hi Andy,

Yes, I think I have the same book here - I'll check. When talking about the washout, it was for yaw stability, not yaw control. There were drag controls for yaw control indeed, some kind of air brakes, for yaw control as you mention correctly.

Kris
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
cllaurit

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Amen to that
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: cllaurit

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Amen to that
The Hortens had developed an "Amerika Bomber" that would take off from Germany, bomb NYC, and theoretically fly home. Werner Heisenberg could have built a nuclear bomb by late 1945/early 1946 (but we can't say without uncertainty ). Combine those two events and this would be a completely different world today. Luckily Goring and Hitler had a (...insert naughty cliche here...) for the fast fighters (ME-262 and -163) and also the brilliant central planners mandated that the Hortens allow Junkers and Messerschmidt engineers help. They of course wanted to add vertical fins and to put the jets in underwing pods rather than hidden in the wing. As Andy said, that is a great book on the Hortens!

Of course a very similar thing happened to Jack Northrop here in the US. He was so offended by those who couldn't believe a flying wing would work that he refused to allow his company to build any more planes for the gubmint until his death. Later they built the B-2. I lived in So Cali when they brought out the B-2 for its first unveiling. It flew around the valley on cloudy nights for several weeks before the official unveiling and caused quite a scare.

The wing drag distribution is based on the "Pankinin Twist" formula. It still works today.

This plane looks quite a bit like some of the Boeing BWB designs and UAS (Pave Blue?). Doesn't Boeing own Lockheed-Martin now?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: BTerry

Doesn't Boeing own Lockheed-Martin now?
Ouch!!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Ouch!!
OOH, my bad. Sorry! I was thinking McDonnell-Douglas.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Ouch!!
OOH, my bad. Sorry! I was thinking McDonnell-Douglas.
No Prob...I was just kidding...Boeing is a great company!! They do some beautiful composite work too!!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 PM
dhal22

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

chuck, i got to see boeing's composite work 1st hand when i got an opportunity to view their 777 floor beam project. of course the beams are all composite. pretty cool stuff.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
crankpin

Here is the new 787. You can probably pull up the 777 and other's on this site.

To view the 787 Dreamliner Design Highlights, go to:

http://www.newairplane.com/787/design_highlights

Crank
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: KrisG
Yes, I think I have the same book here - I'll check. When talking about the washout, it was for yaw stability, not yaw control. There were drag controls for yaw control indeed, some kind of air brakes, for yaw control as you mention correctly.
Kris,

I have Horten Ho229 by Andrei Shepelev and Huib Ottens. Highly recommended if you have the slightest interest in history, unique planes, full-scale planes, WW2, jets, gliders, or underdogs.

Andy
Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Moved to The Clubhouse because it's not RC related

Ken
Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Northrop was in fact alive long enough to see plans and a model of the B2.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM
elven wizard

I did a post that is possibly related to this topic. If your interested here it is -

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92..._1/key_/tm.htm

Elven Wizard
Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 AM
aerofly0610

Looks like Project Dark Star
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM
tommygun32

Wow, how coinkidinky is this. Just watched the show "Future Weapons" on Discovery last night about this very same aircraft. It's the X47 B. The US Navy is very interested in these being able to do Carrier launches and recoveries and are appearantly testing now. Although interestingly enough, the show mentioned that these weren't supposed to be ready for use until 2011...[:-].

*edit*: Carrier capabilities ready by 2011, it never was mentioned that it's not currently being used.

Airial refulling capable makes it possible to be on station for over 70 hours. I would think that if it's being used in Afghanistan currently would suggest that 'they' wanted real time testing possibilities. (in addition to the possible spying missions mentioned previously)

Here's the show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VcFh-CxYu8

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.