Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Baby on the way...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby on the way...

My workshop, which used to be the second bedroom of my 2-bedroom condo, has been converted to a baby-room. See attached pics for BEFORE and AFTER pics.

My question to all the RC fathers out there... How long of a break (if any) did you take after your first baby was born? I know I have to at least wait until I move into a bigger house with an actual basement for a workshop.

Thanks,
Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf100000.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1354277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92194.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1354278  
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Baby on the way...

congrats! enjoy it! My new one is 3 months old. Its a big change.

I just finished my 1/3 scale Gere sport. You can get time, but not like before. My picture on the left is him in my new bipe. its pretty cute.

Get sleep now, you will need it.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I echo the Congrats!!
I was lucky enough not to have to sacrafice the shop for the kid. [8D]
Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Juice,

My time away from building and flying was 23 years, first babies are generally followed by a second. My two babies are now 27 and 24 and our first grandchild is three months old.

Congratulations your life will never be the same again. The time you spend with your family is priceless and never to be repeated. R/C will still be there when they grow up and move away but the times you spend with your children at their school functions, sporting events, shared activities and the like is over in the blink of an eye. Enjoy it while you can. It seems like yesterday I was 30 now I'm 58 and retired.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, here I thought I was the only here one going through the same thing. My wife was just admitted to the hospital tonight, they will be inducing her and tomorrow we will be having a baby. My workspace is all in the basement, so won't have to give that up. I don't do much building anymore as it is, more repairs, restorations, etc, but I don't expect to do anything with the few kits I was intending to build for a while. I will not...cannot give up flying though, so regardless of what is going on I will find a way to fly. People keep saying the kid will want to partake so it's perfect I have such a hobby, but we're having a girl and I really don't see that happening. Even if it's just electric foamies for the next 18 years, I'm addicted to R/C flying like a heroin addict is to junk.... have been for 20 years. I need help. [:@]
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Edwin

Ya know, they know what causes that now!
My son wanted to get into flying about the time he got his second baby. I told him most guys are getting out of the hobby about the time he wanted to get in. He understands now with his third. He still has the interest, just very little time. I would say stick with it, in whatever way you can without ignoring the family.
Edwin
Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

My first slowed my flying down a little. Before my first I would fly Saturday & Sunday pretty much every weekend and some during the week. After my first was born that was down to a Saturday OR Sunday once a week. Not too bad and I had time for maintenance.

After my second was born things really changed! Now I fly MAYBE once a month and struggle to find time for maintenance. (My planes don't fly unless I KNOW they are air worthy) Heck sleep is a luxury now.

My kids are 1 and 3 and I don't know that my hobby time will improve anytime soon.

I hope one or both will be interested in flying. My plan is to just fly as much as time allows. If they do develop an interest in the hobby then we will have a great family activity.

Congratulations! Your life is going to change in ways you can't imagine. Kids are the best gift in the world. However, they're a TON of work, but having those little ones greet you when you get home from work is priceless...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Edwin

The best part is being a grandparent. I get to love'em all up get'em excited and wrestle, then give them back to mom and dad and go home. We live rural and the kids just love chasing the chickens, helping in the garden, climbing trees and general running around the property. But alas, they're all girls. I think the middle one may have a spark of interest. The others are a princess and a baby.
Edwin
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

It all depends on how much time your wife likes to spend at the field
Where have you moved all the equipment off too?
Up until about 1 they don't cause much trouble.
I'd build at the dining room table as I had time.. 30 min here. 1 hour there..
Pack up everything, clean and put it away till the next break came along..

Yes I don't have the time I had before to go flying but as they get older the kids will want to tag along..
About 5 is when I felt I could safely bring one of the kids to the field and not cause trouble. while I was flying.

I've picked up a few park fliers that I fly with the kids on a buddy box... They love em and it's a new area of the hobby for me.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're screwed. Might as well sell off all your stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
daven

Juice, I really like that pegboard box you have in that first picture with the space behind it to store balsa/plans/ etc.. Looks like a good use of space.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Juice

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Wow, here I thought I was the only here one going through the same thing. My wife was just admitted to the hospital tonight, they will be inducing her and tomorrow we will be having a baby. My workspace is all in the basement, so won't have to give that up. I don't do much building anymore as it is, more repairs, restorations, etc, but I don't expect to do anything with the few kits I was intending to build for a while. I will not...cannot give up flying though, so regardless of what is going on I will find a way to fly. People keep saying the kid will want to partake so it's perfect I have such a hobby, but we're having a girl and I really don't see that happening. Even if it's just electric foamies for the next 18 years, I'm addicted to R/C flying like a heroin addict is to junk.... have been for 20 years. I need help. [:@]

Tommy... Did you know that this was your 999'th post, on the day before you wife gives birth to your first child? You reached two totally separate milestones at the same time. There must be some kind of symbolism you can read into this.

I hope everything goes well with your wife and the baby today.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
meflyrc
My Feedback: (3)

My daughters are 4 and 5. They are both interested in " R panes" and want to fly. My youngest is the most interested she has her own Parkzone Super Cub. My oldest wants a plane now, she wants the same as her little sister.
My wife is due next week with a little boy. My luck he'll like dresses. LOL! I fly every chance I get, while still putting my family first. My wife is very supportive of my flying and encourages me to fly all the time. I choose not to fly as much as I used to, just because the kids are so much fun.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
BUDMAN27

I took a one year brake after my second son was born. Can,t remember if I did the same for my first. You now have a flying buddy that will never ever let you down. Thank God for this and don,t ever stop your love for flying.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Juice

Everyone... Thanks for sharing your experiences. The "time away" ranges 0 to 23 years off. Just as I suspected.

I've been resisting the push towards electrics. But I think now makes the most sense to get a small electric foamie. This is my foreseeable future, at least until I move into a house. Then we'll see what happens.

This summer, when it's my day to take care of the baby, guess where we'll be hanging out... at the field. My wife says we need to get him/her baby sunglasses.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Edwin

Just my opinion, but make sure the shop can be isolated from the house and secured. It took quite awhile to train the 5 yo granddaughter that the shop is a dangerous place. Too many sharp things, chemicals, heavy equipment and so on. She now helps keep the 3 yo out. I keep it locked all the time they are visiting.
Edwin
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Tommygun

Well I just had mine a few hours ago, a little girl, 7 lbs, 11 oz, 21" long. She is the most beautiful baby, the best thing I can say that's happened in my life. I never believed it, and whenever I'd see someone making a big deal over their baby I'd think "so what, it's just a baby, people have them everyday." Today, I totally get it. I know that sounds all sappy, but what an experience! I really don't care what happens with my R/C stuff right now, maybe I'll get to use some of it, maybe not, whatever. It really is like a switch gets flipped inside your head. No regrets!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Juice

Congratulations Tommy!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Minnreefer

I have a 6 year old and a almost 2 year old. I have good intentions of building and such, but I really only take/get one or two days a month. One thing that I do (since I don't have a good building area) is put a project in a few boxes and work on them after we put the kids in bed. I like/ my wife likes to spend quiet time with each other, I can work on my planes and she can watch tv or work on her projects. It makes getting planes done harder, but you can get sruff done a couple of hours at a time.

Congrats and jsut keep slowly working on it.

Jon
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
daven

Get up a 1/2 hour early every day for work. Nothing settles the mind like a little CA fumes before breakfast.

And its amazing how much you can get done by just building a 1/2 hour per day, and maybe a little extra on the weekends before everyone else gets up.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
BUDMAN27

What Tommy dosn,t care about rc any more OMG the worlds coming to an end
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
ppkk

First and foremost, congrats! Your life is about to change dramatically, but for the better. My daughter is now 2.5 years old, but right after she was born I immediately learned that when they say you won't get any sleep at the beginning, they really meant you won't get ANY sleep! That was a long time ago, but the last time I "slept in" past 7:00AM is before she was born. She's up between 5:30 and 6:00AM every morning!

You'll have very little time if you want to be a fair parent. What you'll realize (at least I did) that as your child gets older, you want to spend even more time with him/her which limits your extracurricular activities. I rarely get to fly (4 times this past summer) but I still enjoy building, which I do a little here or there when my daughter is sleeping and if I'm up to it.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

CONGRATS to all the new RC fathers!!!!!!!!!

I was blessed with a new co-pilot 18 months ago.
Airplanes in a holding pattern for the first year or so - no big deal, spent every spare second with the little one with no regrets.
Children are the spice of life, everything else comes second.
Wait till they're old enough for the toy airplanes - watching my son go 'vroom vroom' flying his little plastic airplanes around, is inspiring.
I was smart, put a few kits (complete with running gear) away early on, when cash wasnt so tight. Glad I did, I got enough planes and parts to keep me going for along time, without spending a dime now.
My advise - soak up every second with the little ones. I blinked and almost two years flew by.
I wont set foot in my shop till junior is sleeping. I have a feeling I'm going to keep it that way for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20411.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1355817   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa86019.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	960.6 KB
ID:	1355818   Click image for larger version

Name:	af88546.gif
Views:	20
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1355819  
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 AM
BUDMAN27

Ya what he said Budlight anybody?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

One of my flying buddies just sent this to me. It gives a really good account of the changes that come to your life when you have kids.

[link=http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/01/12/p.dudescape.to.dadscape/index.html]Link[/link]

Here's one thing they don't teach dads in prenatal class: Once a baby's in the picture, you're going to be shopping for more than just diapers. You're also going to be scoping out some new friends.

Moms go through this friend turnover as well, but I'd argue that we have a tougher time with the transition than our wives do.

Why? Because men and women interact very differently with their same-sex pals. Sure, women do stuff together, but they're also happy to convene over coffee a date often planned well in advance or call each other up just to chat.

Guys aren't quite so down with the whole heart-to-heart thing. We tend to connect by doing something active, such as a hike or a round of golf, typically arranged the night before.

We all know what happens next. When baby makes three, the abrupt lifestyle change spells an end to these spontaneous expeditions. Forget about spending Saturday afternoon with Mike and Dave at the climbing gym unless you want to unleash the wrath of your exhausted wife. You need to be physically present, grabbing the burp cloth, emptying that Diaper Genie, and covering for your beloved while she sneaks out for a desperately needed salt glow treatment, whatever that is.

By practical necessity, new dads retreat from what you might call the "dudescape" the geographical common ground over which men keep up connections and seek support and advice. Unlike Mom, Dad isn't going to check in with you over a glass of wine at the kitchen table while the little one snoozes in the next room. Sure would be nice, but it just doesn't work that way.

That was my experience with a close friend we shall call Steve. We met at work and fast became good buddies; we shared many road trips, powder days on the local ski slope, and long weekends mountaineering in Colorado and California. Then little Sabrina came along.

My abrupt loss of spontaneity clearly befuddled Steve, who was single. Our phone would ring around dinnertime, and there he was on the line, wondering if I could join him and the rest of the gang for a round of margaritas. Eventually, these calls tapered off when it sunk in that I couldn't bail on my wife at a moment's notice.

Steve and I managed to stay close through Sabrina's first year or so now and then, I sheepishly checked into the dudescape.

But by the time Duncan arrived 20 months later, I'd fully traded out brews for more elemental human matters: puke, gruel, drool, and stool. My connection to Steve started to fade. It wasn't just that we didn't have that much to talk about, though that was a big part of it. It was also that we didn't have a place to do so. Eventually, the phone stopped ringing.

For a couple of years, I found it pretty tough going until my wife and I moved to a new city and met new friends going through the same stuff. My new buds and I bonded with the implicit understanding that our wives' needs came first.

We joked about the recreational balance sheet but knew it was stacked against us. And so we created our own, limited version of the dude- scape. Call it the "dadscape."

I have fewer guy friends now than I used to, and we're not yet booking road-trip weekends together. Instead, we'll head out for a brisk hike around the lake. It's all stuff in the neighborhood; we're still within cell-phone "recall" range.

Do I miss the dudescape? Sure, sometimes, especially when I spy a version of my younger, carefree self loading the roof box for the weekend.

But the good news is, I'm spending more time in the dadscape these days without so much as a hint of dagger eyes on the way out the door. My kids have reached the age where they don't need to be constantly monitored they'll play restaurant or space station together for hours on end. The Diaper Genie is gone for good; the really grueling early years of parenthood are behind us.

Give me a couple of years. I may just return to the dudescape yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.