Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

spelling and grammar check

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

spelling and grammar check

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spelling and grammar check

The younger generation is getting caught up in the fast lane of life. Texting, e-mail, facebook, twitter, ect, ect, has taught them to abbreviate just about every word there is. It's mostly because they have the need to communicate faster and faster. Unfortunatly they are losing what they learn in school because they don't use it on a regular basis. You know how the old saying goes..."USE IT OR LOSE IT". I am a terrible speller, but I have a dictionary on my desk at all times which I have almost worn the covers off. Sometimes everyone just needs to slow down. By the way it took me 30 minutes to type this!! YUK YUK. lol
Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hated my sixth grade spelling teacher and have been getting back at her ever since. I have the google bar spell checker and use it. It won't catch some errors, but I find it very helpful. My only crusade is to point out that pronoun possessives don't have apostrophes: its is the possessive, it's is the contraction for it is. I try to keep affects and effects straight by thinking that affects cause effects. Seems to work for me.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
psb667

I cant believe i read this entire thread. your right some of us are ID10TS
Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
kwblake

Me two.

P.S. Is there another word for Thee-Sar-Us
ORIGINAL: psb667

I cant believe i read this entire thread. your right some of us are ID10TS
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM
speedy72vega

I have my own built-in spell checker, it's called an education. It amazes me how people nowadays don't seem to care in the least bit about their education.
The response I seem to get the most is 'So I don't spell too good, so what?!'. So what?? And people wonder why our country outsources more and more Tech jobs.
It's not even just the spelling, but grammar also, as some have stated.

Education has been overshadowed by consumerism and profit in this country, and it seems fewer and fewer people seem to care anymore.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
kwblake

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

I have my own built-in spell checker, it's called an education. It amazes me how people nowadays don't seem to care in the least bit about their education.
The response I seem to get the most is 'So I don't spell too good, so what?!'. So what?? And people wonder why our country outsources more and more Tech jobs.
It's not even just the spelling, but grammar also, as some have stated.

Education has been overshadowed by consumerism and profit in this country, and it seems fewer and fewer people seem to care anymore.
I do agree. There is one thing on the desk with my computer, and that is a dictionary. I sometimes wonder, is it not caring or just laziness. I am, by no means perfect, but I do make an effort to come across as a somewhat educated individual. I make a very good living off physical labour, but that does not give me the right to come across as a complete idiot. As far as outsourcing goes, it is not only "Tech Jobs". Go to W__-M__t and see how many items you can find on their shelves, that are made in North America. Who is to blame, us or them?

Sorry, I know this is way off topic.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: klaymon

ORIGINAL: tacx

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Sorry. I couldn't help MYself... [img][/img]

Sorry - I couldn't help myself either...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
tacx

H5606,

Your right. My post is a terrible example of proper grammer.

I apologize.

Look a little harder and you may find more errors.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Rod Robbins

ORIGINAL: chunkyplunker

Ya all no what I’m a sayin.
In a lot of places, that comes out as "gnome sane?"...

Regards,
Rod

Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
wjcalhoun

Poor spelling, poor or incorrect grammar, improper use of the wrong homonym (to, two, too), phonetic spellings ('mise well', meaning might as well) are all personal pet peeves of mine. The frightening thing is that we are graduating students from high school who have very poor command of English, their mother tongue, and even worse, college graduates share these shortcomings. Personally, if I find egregious typos and misspellings in a letter of introduction, or a resume, I don't even bother to interview the applicant for a job. Call me narrow minded, but I can use that information as part of my judgment.

Understanding that message boards are a bit less formal than a resume, and that none of us are perfect typists, it still strikes me that people posting messages do not seem to have pride in the accuracy and communication value of their posts. An occasional misspelling, transposition, etc, are certainly no matter. There may even be one or two in this post!

We can all laugh at the boneheaded mistakes people make, but in fact our poor public educational system, which has focused on political correctness rather than the three R's, is largely to blame. I mean no disrespect to the majority of teachers out there, but the public education system does not work.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
speedy72vega

I can't resist, but there's one more thing that really irks me....when people say 'could of', instead of could've, or could HAVE.
Had to put that one out there............
Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

GETTA LIFE !!! OR A HOBBY !!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a word that I see occasionally used on RCU that is not a recognized word in the spellers that I use. It is "prolly" when they should be using "probably".
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: barndawg77

Hammydown...that made me laugh! I think I'll start using that one. The ''I mise well '' instead of ''I might as well'' is a midwestern / southern thing, especially down here in kansas, oklahoma, missouri etc. It's said as one word. For example, '' Hey man, you wanna go fishin'?'' to which a common reply is, '' Misewell!''. Another good one is ''muncle'' instead of '' my uncle'' .
don't forget the biggie, "tain't", as in, tain't nuting wrong with my spelling, cause I is a college grad u ate
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
crustychief

Wow!
I thought it was just me getting old. Sometimes, just trying to read a thread gives me a migraine. Last night, I browsed the Sepulveda <sp> thread and nearly lost the vision in my right eye.
</sp>
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 AM
molokaiboy

I was out flying in the park right next to my house the other day and had a little crash in the bush. Upon inspection of the crash site and the remains of my little parkflyer foamie, I realised why I had crashed. Apparently the label on my receiver had a typo, "aileron" was spelled "aleron". Sorry just kidding!

But in all seriousness. I added a spell check to my Vibe 50 and what do you know, all my vibration issues went away. I guess it not only had a problem spelling it also stuttered a whole lot, which caused all the unnecessary vibrations.

LOL

Aloha and Happy Flying!!

Les
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Interesting, a thread about spelling and grammar in which the complainers have repeatedly used multiple punctuations at the end of their sentences.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
outdoorhunting

Those sound like good material for Jeff Foxworthy. Don'tchathink?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Good. As long as you are complaining about spelling and grammar, the phrase is "too much", not "to much".
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have a spell-checker called "ieSpell" that works well, but as the OP said, there is more a problem with grammar and punctuation than spelling.

My personal pet peeves are the interchange of words like:

Then and than

There, their and they're

And the most common one that I see even from well-educated people:

To, too and two

Personally, I'm still having trouble with Affect and Effect
What sets my teeth grinding is the increasing use of the absolute term "Unique" instead of "unusual" as in, "My ballpoint pen is quite unique".

Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega
It's deliberate.
It's in the interest of global capitalism to restrict the capabilities of the lumpen proletariat. Global capitalism equals international feudalism.

Oh....there's a knock at my door...a nice travel agent offering me a free holiday in Guantanam....................

Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
joizeex

Occurences of "your" vs "you're" and "would of" vs "would've" make me wanna taze the person who writes them. "would of" what?!

As far as cursive goes... where do I even begin. I seldom even see people my age (early 30's) using cursive, let alone high schoolers. I was born in Russia and learned to write Russian in cursive; then in 7th grade they taught us English and they also taught writing English in cursive. Then I moved here in 8th grade and the local populace did not give 2 s**ts about cursive, which blew me away. Now, I don't have the nicest looking handwriting because i never took caligraphy, but it's perfectly legible, yet some Americans have trouble reading it.... what a country!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I could really get into this thread. I made my feelings known in this very forum a couple years ago concerning just how I felt about writing appearing in public places that was virtually impossible to interpret, primarily due to lack of punctuation. But I got severely chastised for having the temerity to express such feelings in this very public forum. So I won't do it again[>:].
I know! You try to improve the overall forum-reading experience and offer a painless lesson on a basic linguistic skill and they want to cut your head off. It is as though because they are sharing their thoughts online, they have no need for simple grammar or even full words (OMG! Y Wld he txt that? ***!?!?!). Whereas in reality, the opposite is true. The entire world has access to your words; why would you want to present anything but a polished product?

Yes, I had to call that guy on the Pre-Madonna thing. That was too much for me to take.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also use ieSpell regularly to spell check my posts on RCU. You can add words to it's custom dictionary. The download is free here: http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Is there a similar product for grammar?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
joizeex

I remember reading a comment on youtube which was addressed towards one of the other posters. It read something like this: "omg, wut's wit the big words?? wut are u a nerd? LOL OMG!! this is the internet who talks like dat??" The "big words" the person was referring to were nothing that a junior high school student wouldn't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.