Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Do NOTAMs go Overboard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do NOTAMs go Overboard?

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Just don't tell them how you really feel about the man!

hehe
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 70 mile radius is insane. With the military technology deployed where ever B.O goes, do they really expect us to believe they think a model airplane has a chance of doing anything?

Our club in Frederick MD is sometimes affected. The Notams issued in the Washington DC area are normally pretty limited, and typically entail a 30 mile radius and only last a few hours. The FAA notifies all the club points of contact that are provided with the recharter information when a NOTAM affects our flying field location. We then send out an email to the entire membership, and post a notice at the field and on our Web page. So far we haven't had any complaints from our members, but I sure would if I shut it down for an entire three day weekend!

Its interesting that these NOTAMs only started including model airplanes and model rocketry about 2 years ago. They've been coming out for a long time, but some zipper headed bureaucrat a couple years ago added the language, and its been that way ever since. I don't think anyone has yet had action taken against them, and I'd certainly love to see the court case that challenges it.

Brad
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch the parade, grill some burgers, set up the volleyball net and enjoy the family for the day

And don't forget to honor our fallen vets.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

First it's a 30 mile radius, not 70

Second, they have been including models since atleast 2005
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

30 nautical miles is about 35 miles on your odometer
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

With the military technology deployed where ever B.O goes, do they really expect us to believe they think a model airplane has a chance of doing anything?
What specific military technology gets deployed where ever a President goes?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Bingo. It's not just a Monday off.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

A 70 mile radius is insane. With the military technology deployed where ever B.O goes, do they really expect us to believe they think a model airplane has a chance of doing anything?

Brad

Psst...

a UAV is a "model airplane"
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
carrellh

A 70 mile radius is insane.
If you read the original post, it says 70 mile diameter circle, not 70 mile radius.

Other than "venting," is there a point to the poll? Does anyone think the feds will change what they do because of an RCU poll?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: MikeL
Mike, it's like the movie line: If they told us they'd have to kill us.
I would guess that they use the best technology they have to detect and defend against threats. I assume all countries do the same when their president (or equivalent) is traveling.

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
I had a cousin (USMC) who died in a helicopter crash during peace time training. Even in peace time our military people have a dangerous job to do.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: carrellh

ORIGINAL: MikeL
Mike, it's like the movie line: If they told us they'd have to kill us.
I would guess that they use the best technology they have to detect and defend against threats. I assume all countries do the same when their president (or equivalent) is traveling.
I was looking for a more specific answer, but apparently the fellow making the claims didn't actually have any real knowledge about the claims he made. There's only so much stuff that fits inside of a C-130, after all. There aren't a whole lot of air defense systems out there that are designed for dealing with small UAVs, either. There's no magic involved. They can't set up some sort of impenetrable air defense network, if for no other reason than that the systems simply don't exist in the US inventory. When I was in the USAF I was stationed at Ft. Knox when a VP was scheduled to fly in. The advance team did an inventory of who would be on the airfield at the time and that was about it. I'm sure things have changed a bit, but it's still just a C-130 that brings in the gear and vehicles.

I get the purpose of the NOTAMs. They just want to decrease the number of possible threats as easily and efficiently as possible. I can't imagine getting huffy about it unless it was a regular occurrence, but for most of us it isn't anything near that. I think here in MN we've been affected twice over the past several years. The field I fly at constantly has airliners flying over it, heading into or out of MSP. As a taxpayer, I'd hate to see resources expended on checking out the flying that goes on there.

It's funny how politics seep into threads like this, where certain people just can't restrain themselves. I don't have particularly strong feelings about this President or the last, but I do understand what it means to respect the office.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They actually do more than you think when a president travels. If he stays, its even more involved. The cost of him moving around is huge. It doesn't matter who is in the office, it is the same. There are ground crews that go beforehand to check things out. There is a show on discover that discribes it in detail if you are interested. Its actually quite good. I don't know how they get anything done with all the prep work they have to do and all the security they have to have. I can't imagine the logistics of him going to 2 or 3 places a day. Thats gotta be a huge headache.

What do you do, you have to keep the guy safe. There are a lot of whack jobs out there.

I never minded the flight delays waiting for Air Force One, but I despised waiting for Foxtrot One when they created it for Hillary. The Presidential plane should have priority, the first lady isn't running the country, she can wait just like any of the rest of us.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I see Kalamazoo MI is affected this weekend.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here's a fun website that is used by full scale pilots for flight planning, etc.

http://www.runwayfinder.com/

If you zoom in around the country you will see red circles or other red lines. These are the current TFRs. Very handy tool for keeping track of them. Plus you can go into "map" and see the TFR overlain on a regular map or satellite image.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
piper28

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

I see Kalamazoo MI is affected this weekend.
Wow, that was awfully close to putting a damper on our warbirds event. Looks like it's Monday and Tuesday instead of over the weekend, and we're 5 miles outside the border anyways.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Our model field is about 7 miles from an airport. 99% of the time the traffic pattern is around and away from our field.

One day, a few years ago, an older gent called me to the flight line. He said "Hey, can you see my plane up there?" He was staring into a completely empty area of the sky. He had lost his 1/2A Texaco while practicing for an upcoming contest. I told him that I didn't see any sign of it and he continued to twiddle the sticks for another ten minutes in hopes of a miraculous reappearance.

A few minutes later I see an unfamiliar shape coming from the airport, unfamiliar because of both size and shape. Within seconds I realized that this was Air Force One as the President was in town. It passed right over our field in exactly the space the guy was looking for his plane![X(] Wish I could find the pic of it going over...

Sooo...I think they should have had the NOTAMs in effect back then too and certainly not because I think he was a good president