RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   LOL etiquette (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/1021637-lol-etiquette.html)

BasinBum 08-04-2003 06:09 AM

LOL etiquette

For those of you who havn't figured it out yet...

LOL is used in response to something SOMEBODY ELSE wrote that made you laugh. NOT something you are writing at the time that you happen to think is funny. If you have to point out that it is funny, maybe it isn't.

And another thing...

When you have another thought about something you just wrote, instead of saying " oh no, I just realized blah, blah, blah" you can just hit the backspace key and ERASE the first thought and change it before you hit the submit button.

BB

P.S. MikeL, I know this is off topic but you have allowed other etiquette threads on here before so I thought I'd throw this out for everyone's edification.

Borzak 08-04-2003 06:26 AM

LOL etiquette

So you never LOL (laugh out loud) at something you do yourself in real life or something you think?

Geeze.

4*60 08-04-2003 07:22 AM

LOL etiquette

You guys sure laugh a lot more than I do. Out loud too! :)

See I just grin. :)

-Stevo- 08-04-2003 07:29 AM

LOL etiquette

LOL... oh hang on, I take that back. :p

Blackie 08-04-2003 09:41 AM

LOL etiquette

BB, you had your coffee yet this morning? :) Not sure what that was all about.

I never thought much about how the symbol LOL was used but the second half of your statement I agree with. Can you please tell us why this bothers you so much? I hope its not that mid age crisis. :D

Blackie

Taildragger 08-04-2003 10:00 AM

LOL etiquette

Can you guys not recognize male PMS? It's getting pretty common around here.

tinman 08-04-2003 10:51 AM

are you saying you prefer us to use LAM ? (laughing at myself) so when i glue down my finger again and share this funny thing it would look like..."yepper, i managed to glue my finger to the stab of my ultimate again last night ....LAM.... :D all in fun...

Flyfalcons 08-04-2003 11:09 AM

LOL etiquette

I'm glad BB is here to set us straight on what we can type.

If you have to point out that it is funny, maybe it isn't.
Sort of like, if you give advise and no one takes it seriously, then maybe the advise isn't wanted?

Blackie 08-04-2003 11:21 AM

LOL etiquette

On that second note, I was wondering what if I wrote something and wanted to change it but I had already submitted the post. Does this mean that I can no longer click the edit button and re edit the post. :spinnyeye

I wonder what would happen if I did. :eek:

Blackie

TomM 08-04-2003 12:11 PM

LOL etiquette

BB-
OMG
TSR
ILSMICMP!!!!
IOW....
NABAR
AWGTHTGTATA?

TTYL

Gordon Mc 08-04-2003 12:19 PM

Re: LOL etiquette

Originally posted by BasinBum
For those of you who havn't figured it out yet...

LOL is used in response to something SOMEBODY ELSE wrote that made you laugh. NOT something you are writing at the time that you happen to think is funny. If you have to point out that it is funny, maybe it isn't.

Oh yeah ?

Are you gonna get "LOL" registered as your personal trademark so that you can then claim that your definition is somehow 'official' ?

Time to LOLABB

Gorodn

FLYBOY 08-04-2003 01:34 PM

LOL etiquette

Geez, you guys are awfully rough on him. LOL :D

Mike Bogh 08-04-2003 01:35 PM

LOL etiquette

RBNWRT
Read but not worth replying to.

BasinBum 08-04-2003 01:48 PM

LOL etiquette

I stand by my statement. Yes I laugh at things I say in real life but that is a natural reaction and to type it is not.

It is like telling a joke and then saying "isn't that funny".

FLYBOY 08-04-2003 02:12 PM

LOL etiquette

I hear people do that all the time too. If it bugs you, maybe your skin is a bit thin? Guess different people get bugged by different things. For me it is the people that let dogs bark for hours on end. They apparently don't hear it. Drives me nuts.

David Cutler 08-04-2003 02:15 PM

LOL etiquette

Originally posted by Stevo
LOL... oh hang on, I take that back. :p
unLOL, you mean?

-DC

Jleyland 08-04-2003 02:29 PM

LOL etiquette

I can't believe there is even a thread about this.

Gordon Mc 08-04-2003 02:39 PM

LOL etiquette

Originally posted by David Cutler
unLOL, you mean?

-DC

I think that to undo a LOL, you write it backwards

I love the way some people come up with their own odd interpretation of how something is "supposed to" be, and then try to tell everyone else they are wrong. Makes me LOL.

Gordon

BasinBum 08-04-2003 03:02 PM

LOL etiquette

Yes Gordon, the only difference is when I think it's wrong I am just stating an opinion, you get to nuke someone when you think they are wrong.

LOL and many other abbreviations we use come from online chat. It is generally used regarding a remark someone else makes according to many etiquette FAQ's.

A point of etiquette is not wrong or right, just a more subtle way of doing something.

pinball-RCU 08-04-2003 03:33 PM

Re: LOL etiquette

Originally posted by BasinBum
[B]For those of you who havn't figured it out yet...
What's that supposed to mean? It sounds derogatory to me, like you're saying we're too dumb to have figured it out. So, point of etiquette: Do not begin post by insulting everybody you intend to educate. Not only is it rude, but it puts your students on the defensive, and instead of listening, they post rude responses.

This is just plain wrong. It is EXTREMELY important on the Internet to point out when you think something is funny. Humor is frequently lost in an Internet post, due to the lack of body language clues, plus the diversity of cultural backgrounds. I agree that "LOL" is not usually the way of indicating humor (smileys or <grin> are more common), but, heck, why not?

When you have another thought about something you just wrote, instead of saying " oh no, I just realized blah, blah, blah" you can just hit the backspace key and ERASE the first thought and change it before you hit the submit button.
There are times when it's appropriate to include your thought process in a message. Why not? And again, you are really insulting us if you imply we need to learn abou the backspace key.

How about this etiquette: We write the way we want to, and you write the way you want to, and we leave it at that?

Crash90 08-04-2003 03:46 PM

LOL etiquette

"I can't believe there is even a thread about this."

I am laughing out loud right now.

This thread is funny.

Crashem 08-04-2003 03:50 PM

LOL etiquette

With threads like this, one can understand why some might want their identities to remain unknown!!! LOL

Joe Ortiz 08-04-2003 03:52 PM

LOL etiquette

Humor is frequently lost in an Internet post
Maybe RC Admin can add an animated LOL smilie :rolleyes:

BasinBum 08-04-2003 03:53 PM

LOL etiquette

Pinball,
All your points are well taken. I did write what I wanted. I am also glad some are entertained by this thread.

FLYBOY 08-04-2003 03:54 PM

LOL etiquette

maybe while he is at it he can make one with the tounge sticking out going spzzzzzpsttttt.

That would be usefull in some cases.