RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Hard To Build Kits (Heli, Cars, Planes) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10436847-hard-build-kits-heli-cars-planes.html)

bhughes89 04-01-2011 01:24 PM

Hard To Build Kits (Heli, Cars, Planes)

I've been looking for kits that are exceptionally hard to build. Sad as it may seem, Ithink Ienjoy building stuff much more than actually running it.

So far all I've actually build is an Associated TC4 and B4. I went to a local hobby shop and they told me to look into an HPICup car and the belt driven Associated TC5.

Does anyone have any opinions on hard to build kits?Are helis usually harder to build than anything else?

Thanks!

PS I know there's already a thread on this in the RCcar forum, but it was 7 yrs old and doesn't really have a lot of info...

outdoorhunting 04-01-2011 01:53 PM

RE: Hard To Build Kits (Heli, Cars, Planes)

Try building from plans. Ya just can't beat that.

eddieC 04-02-2011 04:16 PM

A 90-size heli kit (Miniature Aircraft or others) can be very challenging without a lot of frustration. LOTS of parts and prep.

MrGoodwreck 04-03-2011 12:40 PM

You could just send me the kit before you you get your hands on it... I will remove the plans, and instructions. Then maybe even swipe a part, or two just for your fun:)

outdoorhunting 04-03-2011 03:31 PM

Now THAT'S being a real pal !!! hehe

AraTidwell 04-03-2011 03:44 PM

Balsa planes are defiantly the hardest!

bhughes89 04-03-2011 07:42 PM

haha thanks MrGoodWreck. ill be sure to take you up on that if i decide to get a HPI Cup car.

thanks for the input eddieC. do you have any recommendations as far as 90 size helis go? i've heard good things about the Tiger Thunder Raptors, but honestly i haven't read much more about helis.

bhughes89 04-03-2011 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

Balsa planes are defiantly the hardest!
i have definitely heard that. my only beef with balsa planes and planes in general is that you have to have an airfield or a club area somewhere to fly them right?

eddieC 04-03-2011 07:55 PM

do you have any recommendations as far as 90 size helis go?
I haven't kept up on recent ones. The guys at R R are knowledgeable on state-of-the-art. The MA line is still one of the best tho. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

Assembling a big heli is like the coolest Erector set (google it)around. For example, one doesn't just start bolting things together. The threads have to be cleaned so that the threadlocker will hold. Nothing like a big nitro or gasser heli!

outdoorhunting 04-04-2011 03:34 AM

Nothing MORE dangerous than a "90" chopper in the hands of a newbie. I hope bhughes89 is an experienced heli pilot.

378 04-04-2011 05:32 AM

HPI Savage kit + three speed + reverse module. GO!

bhughes89 04-04-2011 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Nothing MORE dangerous than a "90" chopper in the hands of a newbie. I hope bhughes89 is an experienced heli pilot.
i am not. i like to think that i am coordinated enough to figure it out tho haha. bad idea?

if it really is a bad idea, i'd find an instructor or something in my area and learn how to fly properly. as silly as it sounds, i dont want to spend a lot of money on an easy to build rc heli, learn how to fly that, then go spend even more money on a harder to build 90 size heli.

bhughes89 04-04-2011 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: 378

HPI Savage kit + three speed + reverse module. GO!
mm that does sound like fun. does hpi have a three speed transmission they sell as an optional part?

bhughes89 04-04-2011 06:50 AM

haha nevermind im an idiot, found the 3 speed transmission. but it comes assembled http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...humbs_down.gifseems like all the hpi transmission and diff stuff comes assembled for the savage. shame

bhughes89 04-04-2011 06:54 AM

aaaaaaaaand once again, im an idiot. found the 3 speed kit haha. seriously that looks like a ton of fun to build though

378 04-04-2011 06:56 AM

Haha, yeah. Oh, and you'll adore tuning the shift point, too, because the 1-2 shift is only accessible with the gearbox removed and broken down. 2-3 shift is accessible while everything is assembled, though.

I will likely make it my next monster truck. I want to build a kit and it's the only one I can find that's cheaper than the RTR version to get running. All it needs is a two channel radio and normal field gear to get it going, and I already have one of those on-hand anyways.

MinnFlyer 04-04-2011 07:36 AM

"Hard to build" is a very vague phrase. IMHO any kits from Maratuka (The old Royal kits) were the toughest.

That said, if you're looking for something that a really good builder (like yourself) can turn into a true work of art, check out kits from Proctor and Balsa USA

eddieC 04-04-2011 07:40 AM

Nothing MORE dangerous than a "90" chopper in the hands of a newbie.

Theyare dangerous, no matter who's doing the flying. I flew my MA gasser (G23, 13 lbs.) as a noob, just took it easy and didn't try anything stupid. I still do limited aerobatics, loops, rolls, stall-turns, but don't want to risk all the work (and $) doing piroflips and such.

Nothing more fun than bringing it out and having everybody land and watch. Just doing low passes at max speed is too much fun! [8D]

If you go with the big heli, just don't go electric. It's like kissin' your sister!

bhughes89 04-04-2011 08:18 AM

That said, if you're looking for something that a really good builder (like yourself) can turn into a true work of art, check out kits from Proctor and Balsa USA
I checked out Balsa USA, and they have a trainer plane that apparently is a good starting point for builders (since i have never built a plane before. someone told me the intricacies of the wings are incredibly difficult, so maybe the trainer plane would be a good starting point to judge my abilities to build a plane.

another fun project i was thinking of was gettin a Savage Flux and converting it to nitro, if possible.

MinnFlyer 04-04-2011 08:24 AM

Yes, I just saw that kit at the Toledo Show - It's a beauty!

378 04-04-2011 08:26 AM

Reconverting a Savage Flux wouldn't be difficult at all. The chassis plates are identical. You'd simply be bolting in the nitro's drivetrain and engine. Though AFAIK the Flux has a stronger driveline anyways.

bhughes89 04-04-2011 07:03 PM

Well boo. i thought it would be more fun than that. oh well

for now, i'm going to have to settle with the HPICupCar. Iwould get a nitro car/heli/plane but Ilive in a tiny college apartment, and Ifeel like having nitro enhanced gas laying around my apartment would be a bad idea haha http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif so i will probably hold off on the new stuff until Imove in about 2 months or so...

after i move and start my new job, ive got my next 3 purchases lined up:

HPISavage XSS +3 speed trans+reverse module
Thunder Tiger Raptor 90
Balsa USAStudent Trainer

Bax 04-05-2011 06:06 AM

What is meant by "hard to build"?  Does that mean a lot of pieces that you have to carefully fit together and make sure they're kept in proper alignment while the glue dries?  I wouldn't consider that "difficult", but tedious.  It takes time, but it's not beyond the reasoning power nor the hand-and-eye coordination of the average person.  Even Proctor kits, which require a LOT of tedious assembly of small parts to build-up the ribs first, and then assemble into a wing structure (for example), are not difficult.

Do you really mean "time consuming"?

Even the old Royal kits wouldn't necessarily be "difficult", but it would depend upon  your experience level.  For me, a "difficult" kit may be one that utterly lacks details of parts assembly on the plans, with instructions that are incoherent, and parts that bear no resemblance of fitting one to another.  I remember a few of those from the 60s and 70's...one kit had different dimensions on the fuselage side view versus the top view versus the pre-cut wood pieces.  You just picked what looked about right and went from there.

Experience level is all.  Once beyond a certain point, no kit is "difficult", they just take more time and care in the building.

While it's unrealistic in today's society, kids in first grade were building the small rubber-band powered stick models made by Guillows, Comet, and Sterling.  I remember working on a Comet Cessna Bird Dog when I was in first grade (about 1958) and having the parts only printed on the wood-you had to cut them all out first, and sand to final size.  Today, I guess only a very precious few would even get past the idea that they'd need hours of work to get a model ready to fly.  If it's not "plug and play" forget it.  Hmmm...come to think of it, I know a lot of adults that way, too.

bhughes89 04-05-2011 10:09 AM

we could argue semantics forever on this thread, but i guess i do mean "time consuming" because as you said, todays world is based around plug and play, and that's just not enough for me. however, i unknowingly left that open for readers and responders to decide what it meant so that i could get a nice diverse set of replies that would help point me in the direction i really want to go.

rszanti 04-05-2011 02:38 PM

<span style="color: #0000ff"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">Idid buy a Balsa USA"Student Trainer" at the Toledo show. I am an experienced builder and flyer so I don't need a "trainer" but the plane looked so good I bought one. Opened it to see what else might be needed - radio system, engine (or motor , ESC&amp;batteries), servos, wheels, push rods, prop &amp; spinner, and covering material. And of course paint. It is a good looking kit, should be easy to put together and the wood quality is great. Probably be while before I start it though, too many other projects already in progress. </span></span>