RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Asphalt Runway yes/no (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10766250-asphalt-runway-yes-no.html)

skyblue 10-15-2011 05:08 AM

Asphalt Runway yes/no

Do you feel the need for a asphalt runway where you fly your planes. I use to fly on the local model airplane field (AMA) maintained by the county park system.The field has quite a bit of crabgrass making it hard for taking off in the summer months.A .46 size would struggle to get airborne. About 12 years ago the local clubs nagged the county to put in a asphalt. For 12 years the clubs got no where with their request for a runway. This year the county decided to install a asphalt runway but now many of the local pilots are against the runway. They claim it would be detrimintal to their flying style. The bulk of the aircraft flown are .46 gloa and electric planes.Please comment.

Phil

scale only 4 me 10-15-2011 06:35 AM

RE: Asphalt Runway yes/no

Well, you're right, it will make smaller planes easier to take off and land,, Down side is guys will have to learn to Land all over again.. Having the grass to slow you down is quite a crutch..

IMO the pluses out number the minuses,, I prefer paved

DadsToysBG 10-15-2011 06:39 AM

Change is hard for some people. We have 800x50 BT and can handle anything. having BT opens up the possibility of more types of planes. 500ft by 50ft will let you fly most anything. Especially planes with retracts. The only time anybody at our field has any trouble with BT is with WW1 planes with a tail skid. And with some skill that isn't a problem.
I say go for it. Dennis

topspin 10-15-2011 07:05 AM

Asphault is so much better than grass for takeoffs and landings. Your friends will have to get more accurate with their landings.:D

Kmot 10-15-2011 08:30 AM

Anyone against a FREE asphalt runway for their model planes needs to have their head examined! :eek:

JustPlaneSweet 10-15-2011 09:30 AM

Pilots with unique 'flying styles' can land besides the asphalt.

Stan

DadsToysBG 10-15-2011 09:48 AM

Sometimes we start on the BT and end up on the grass. So your guys can have both. We have a good laugh sometimes. We have 800ft so you can miss the first 300 and still stay on the runway. Dennis

gquiring 10-15-2011 11:34 AM

What was not mentioned is this field is somewhat small and surrounded by trees. The runway would ruin it for sailplanes/DLG's and EDF's that don't have landing gears. We have many pilots flying these types of aircraft at the field including helicopters. We have many foamy belly lander planes also. We were not 100% against a runway, but we did not want it in the middle of the field as it was planned. We would have been open to something closer to the flight line and not taking up the entire landing area. We need to accommodate the folks that can't land on pavement. Also my personal belief is a runway would damage more planes than it would help.

The main problem was the individual that did all this was a newbie, he did not discuss his layout with the flyers that use the field frequently. In many cases these newbies buy these underpowered trainers and if they would just put larger wheels on them the problem would be solved. Projects like this must be discussed in advance with all clubs to find a happy medium, in this case there was no discussion.

init4fun 10-15-2011 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: gquiring

What was not mentioned is this field is somewhat small and surrounded by trees. The runway would ruin it for sailplanes/DLG's and EDF's that don't have landing gears. We have many pilots flying these types of aircraft at the field including helicopters. We have many foamy belly lander planes also. We were not 100% against a runway, but we did not want it in the middle of the field as it was planned. We would have been open to something closer to the flight line and not taking up the entire landing area. We need to accommodate the folks that can't land on pavement. Also my personal belief is a runway would damage more planes than it would help.

The main problem was the individual that did all this was a newbie, he did not discuss his layout with anyone in the clubs! In many cases these newbies buy these underpowered trainers and if they would just put larger wheels on them the problem would be solved. In this particular case this individual flies by himself (another issue since he's not signed off as a pilot to fly alone). Projects like this must be discussed in advance with all clubs to find a happy medium, in this case there was no discussion.

I WAS going to attempt to provide constructive input , such as maybe positioning the proposed runway in such a manner as to still allow grass landings , , , , BUT , , After reading your quoted response , , It sounds like your club has far larger issues than the discussion of some new runway , so all I'll say is good luck to ya .................

outdoorhunting 10-15-2011 03:16 PM

Paved runways will make for a "larger" debrie field !!

gquiring 10-15-2011 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Paved runways will make for a ''larger'' debris field !!
Exactly! That's what the newbies don't understand, considering how hard they land planes it will be a one time use only. And then the risk of the planes scooting off the runway is another issue, the current flying field does not have pilot fencing which could make things risky.

Kmot 10-15-2011 04:46 PM

I was picturing a large open area, with an asphalt runway as only part of it and plenty of turf around it. But since you described it as the runway taking up the whole area you have, I can see why it needs to be investigated and discussed further.

cje0114 10-15-2011 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: init4fun

The main problem was the individual that did all this was a newbie, he did not discuss his layout with anyone in the clubs! In many cases these newbies buy these underpowered trainers and if they would just put larger wheels on them the problem would be solved. In this particular case this individual flies by himself (another issue since he's not signed off as a pilot to fly alone). Projects like this must be discussed in advance with all clubs to find a happy medium, in this case there was no discussion.

I WAS going to attempt to provide constructive input , such as maybe positioning the proposed runway in such a manner as to still allow grass landings , , , , BUT , , After reading your quoted response , , It sounds like your club has far larger issues than the discussion of some new runway , so all I'll say is good luck to ya .................

Oh really now? You were going to help with positioning of the runway? And when exactly were you going to do that, after it was put in? The field was already marked out for a POS 30' wide by about 200' slab of asphalt right smack in the middle of the field. Nobody want that at the field but you felt the need to go out on your own and do whatever you please since you have some "Pull" in the county.....whatever, thats good for you, but how about consulting people that fly at the field? I'm not saying the people in your club either because they barely fly there....they all fly at that BS field in east brunswick.

Before you go out and decide upon yourself to change things in Edison, how about you introduce yourself to some people that actually fly there and have been for years? I've asked around and nobody even knows who you are including myself.

So long story short...take your runway idea and blow it out your *****. it's not our fault you can't get your underpowered planes off the ground. I know of foamies that can take off from the grass with no problem.

Good day to you sir.

TravelairR 10-15-2011 06:54 PM

We have a 300 by 40 paved runway, we take off and land quarter scale planes every week. We also have a 40 foot dirt strip next to the runway, most new flyers miss the pavement and land in the dirt, as do sailplanes and belly landers. Some of our belly landers just added plastic skid plates under their planes so they can land on the asphalt. We couldn't afford to water a grass runway in southern california so this is necessary for our club. The clubs with longer runways say ours is a hard one to land on but if you fly here every week it isn't a problem. I think it all depends on what you've learned on.

init4fun 10-15-2011 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: cje0114

Oh really now? You were going to help with positioning of the runway? And when exactly were you going to do that, after it was put in? The field was already marked out for a POS 30' wide by about 200' slab of asphalt right smack in the middle of the field. Nobody want that at the field but you felt the need to go out on your own and do whatever you please since you have some ''Pull'' in the county.....whatever, thats good for you, but how about consulting people that fly at the field? I'm not saying the people in your club either because they barely fly there....they all fly at that BS field in east brunswick.

Before you go out and decide upon yourself to change things in Edison, how about you introduce yourself to some people that actually fly there and have been for years? I've asked around and nobody even knows who you are including myself.

So long story short...take your runway idea and blow it out your *****. it's not our fault you can't get your underpowered planes off the ground. I know of foamies that can take off from the grass with no problem.

Good day to you sir.
Wow , Really , , , , , you couldnt have missed the meaning of my post any more had i written it in flippin CHINESE !!!!!!!

First , Get off your high and mighty perch there , dude , the runway idea aint mine , and I NEVER SAID I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA !!!!!!!

I said I may consider offering a helpfull suggestion , EXECPT that I didnt like the poster's tone with regards to newbies ( ie , "far larger issues than than just a runway" ) , and so no suggestions were forthcoming . All your talk of "pull" and so forth may better well serve you when your addressing the actual folks with the idea !!!!!!!

Are we now clear ?

cje0114 10-15-2011 07:28 PM

My apologies ....I was directed to this thread under the assumption that you were the person that started this whole runway mess in the first place.

After a little investigation, it is obvious that you aren't the person in question here and again I apologize ...

Chris

Oh really now? You were going to help with positioning of the runway? And when exactly were you going to do that, after it was put in? The field was already marked out for a POS 30' wide by about 200' slab of asphalt right smack in the middle of the field. Nobody want that at the field but you felt the need to go out on your own and do whatever you please since you have some ''Pull'' in the county.....whatever, thats good for you, but how about consulting people that fly at the field? I'm not saying the people in your club either because they barely fly there....they all fly at that BS field in east brunswick.

Good day to you sir.
Wow , Really , , , , , you couldnt have missed the meaning of my post any more had i written it in flippin CHINESE !!!!!!!

First , Get off your high and mighty perch there , dude , the runway idea aint mine , and I NEVER SAID I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA !!!!!!!

I said I may consider offering a helpfull suggestion , EXECPT that I didnt like the poster's tone with regards to newbies ( ie , ''far larger issues than than just a runway'' ) , and so no suggestions were forthcoming . All your talk of ''pull'' and so forth may better well serve you when your addressing the actual folks with the idea !!!!!!!

Are we now clear ?

Mastertech 10-15-2011 07:32 PM

Old field had a asphalt runway, new field does not. No one in the club wants to pave one either, they all love the grass.

If I were to win the Lotto I'd build a private flying field and it would not have any runway but grass.

Tim

gquiring 10-15-2011 07:37 PM

Well I have to say I was not clear with your post either. What's the issue with my newbie comments. I am not sure you even understand the situation, multiple clubs fly at this field and one newbie goes off and arranges for a runway and does not discuss it with the guys that fly at this field. We found out after we saw the paint marks on the field. We probably have over 50 regular pilots flying here. Should we not all get a say in this? What really worried us was the park needed to understand they still need to cut the grass even with a paved runway.

Bottom line is this guy needs help, and a runway is not the real solution. He's been offered help by club members and chooses to go it alone.

init4fun 10-15-2011 07:42 PM

[8D] Thanks for the apology Chris , I appreciate it .

And I'd now like to say , that as a flyer old enough to have a 5 digit AMA number , Ive seen enough of these runway ideas go sour and all for the same reason ; it sounds like the runway's planner(s) didnt consult with everyone who uses the field , and come up with a fair assessment if the majority of the flyers want it or not ! How can someone plan such a major undertaking without doing the leg work of determining wether it is WANTED , much less needed ???? This is a major upheaval of the way the field is used , and some of the flyers are only finding out as the asphalt is being poured ????

COMMUNICATION folks , , its whats supposed to separate us from the rest of earth's lesser creatures , , , and it sounds like there was none of it in the planning of this runway !!!!

My take , , , ALL the flyers who may be affected should be heard in a vote of one kind or another , and let the majority rule . If enough say no , save the asphalt for the parking lot :D

scale only 4 me 10-15-2011 07:53 PM

The field was already marked out for a POS 30' wide by about 200' slab of asphalt right smack in the middle of the field.
200'??? that's useless,, 500'-600' minumum for a decent paved runway

TravelairR 10-15-2011 08:09 PM

I thought the original post said this runway has been requested for 12 years and just now no one wants it?

Harry

Bill Vargas 10-15-2011 08:51 PM

A nice paved runway takes work to keep it nice,,, and I'll leave that, at that.

BV

TravelairR 10-15-2011 08:57 PM

Bill, that's the truth. we are continually filling cracks and sealing the runway to keep a good landing surface

Harry

pmerritt 10-16-2011 01:36 AM

Even with a 200" runway, God didn't quit making landscape after that!  There has to be grass at each end for overshooting! 

We have a grass field and there are small electrics, 40 sized glow, and planes with retracts that really need a solid surface to take off and land on to save gear and take off safely.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!  200' isn't  Ohare but it sure beats fighting grass and the issues with take off speeds. 

Let the belly landers insulate the bottom of their planes.  After all, they are going to scuff them up anyway.  That's why they make landing gear!

bogbeagle 10-16-2011 01:53 AM

For my money, you can't beat a properly-tended grass strip.

There's a few days in winter when I long for a firm and dry runway, mind you.

A tail-dragger is more squirrelly on tarmac, especially if it has a skid or a fixed tail-wheel. You could argue that this will sharpen your skills, I suppose.

Anything at all "hot" will use a lot of tarmac before it quits rolling, unless it has brakes.

So, IMO, grass is better for most model-flying purposes.