RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Where do you like to fly? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10936866-where-do-you-like-fly.html)

Soaring Steve 02-01-2012 08:33 PM

RE: Where do you like to fly?

Here in the desert we have a section of abandoned 2 lane road approx 1 mile long that is still county maintained. It turns to a dirt road that is seldom used, so it makes for a great runway. We have established a pit area off to the side and the group there is of the anti-establishment types.... Not into the club scene. just there to have some fun, tell a few jokes and fly without being hasseled by any club safety/rules/noise nazis. We just use common sense and enjoy ourselves..

lopflyers 02-02-2012 08:08 AM

The guys that have it made are those that can find an abandoned airport to fly from. WOW, I just can picture two or three runways(large enough for a full scale) to choose from depending on the wind direction.
Plenty of unobstructed air space, pits at will, electricity to charge electrics, taxiways.
A dream come true. :)</p>

JohnAsaPrice 02-02-2012 11:59 AM

I prefer to fly at the club site.
I live in a large city. Although there is a large soccer complex where I have permission to fly, there are other people around who don't know the importance of staying clear of RC airplanes.

When I flew smaller foamies, I felt more comfortable flying in "public" sites because the relative risk to others was smaller. But there was still risk.

I prefer to fly at the club field:

... because I usually have a spotter in the event that a low-flying aircraft happens to come into my "box"
... others are around because there is a risk of injury with a 14-inch prop and it would be nice to know I could get help if I needed it.
... I know what's around it and that I always know it is OK to fly there.
... there are guys there who are better pilots/builders than me. I learn something new every time I go out there. (this takes humility and respect for others.)
... I like the field and the guys who are there.

378 02-02-2012 10:50 PM

Anywhere I want. I even fly inside my own bedroom!

But then again I live far enough out in the sticks where that's viable. My nearest neighbors are out of radio range. I can run any RCs I damn well please up here without risking anyone else.

I kind of feel sorry for suburbanites and urbanites who have no choice but to drive to a track/club/pond specifically to run theirs.

K-Bob 02-03-2012 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: BobbyMcGee

I prefer to depart from the self-righteous and overwhelming majority. I enjoy doing things contrary to their thinking because it gets them upset.
Basically, I'm not happy until they're not happy!!!

It's a good motto to live by!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

BUDMAN27 02-03-2012 06:58 AM

Anywhere my plane dosn,t crash. :D

hulio516 02-03-2012 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: krashkart

My question was where you do fly~~
I used to fly alone but now I have more fun being in a club.

I wait until one of the "big boys" gets their $6,000 plane up then I procede to start my engine on my "lil" falcon 56 and fly too.

They don't appreciate it too much but they don't have preference just because they have more money in their plane than I do.

I paid my dues too!:)

"hulio the great"

hugger-4641 02-03-2012 10:17 AM

I don't like limiting my experiences any more than I have to. "Variety is the spice of life" is a motto I like to exemplify. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

I have 1200 acres of farm land between my house and the city limits. I can use my yard or the road for my runway and do so at least once a week if weather permits. I might fly anything from my electric park flyers to my 1/4 scale cub. I live close enough to town that people at the city park can see my planes flying and often stop by to watch or ask questions. I've given many buddy box flights from my front yard to total strangers, usually kids, but sometimes adults also.

I also teach kids to fly at my church, which has a 500 acre field behind it and plenty of grass or the parking lot for a runway. Here as well, people driving by will sometimes stop to watch or get a buddy box flight.

I usually keep an electric T-28 to fly behind my work place. Flying is a stress reliever for me, so I often fly during my lunch break or right after work. This also occasionally attacts some spectators.

I also enjoy flying at my club field. We have a 200' x 600' grass runway with plenty of open farm land beyond the runway. I enjoy the crowded flyins and fun events as well as the more peacefull times. We have about 40 members, but on most weekends, there is usually only 6 to 10 people there at one time. I enjoy this time to practice my pattern flying and get pointers from a couple of club members that use to compete in pattern competitions. Sometimes I will also bring along a plane that I've been having problems with and get help from the "old vets". I'm also a club instructor, so sometimes I am the one giving advice and helping out newer folks.
Many times on weekday evenings, I have the club field to myself or maybe one other person there. I enjoy this time also.

I wouldn't want to give up any one of these experiences. They are all fun in one way or another, I just go with the flow and enjoy the moment !

padlock 02-03-2012 01:42 PM

I fly at my clubs field. We are very proud to be stewards of some airport property we share with a couple of ultralights below is a link to our field in southern indiana

If you are ever in the area give us a call and join us

[link]http://flyingeagles.freeforums.org/welcome-to-our-field-t158.html[/link]

regards
sbdwag

topspin 02-03-2012 02:20 PM

When I'm in San Diego at the Mission Bay RC Park and especially on Fiesta Island. When I'm here I like to fly at the club field.

carrellh 02-04-2012 06:49 AM

I enjoy flying at the club. We have 20 to 30 members and a 'big' day is 8 or 10 at the field at the same time. I do not like crowds but I really do like being with our club members.

50+AirYears 02-05-2012 04:36 PM

I like to fly anywhere I can do it safely. Since I started in this hobby/sport in 1948, I've flown is school yard, parks, sports stadiums, and some nice club fields. Also have flown in my last employer's parking lot, andin the town hall meeting area. With one club in the 8th grade, even flew Cox PeeWee RTP and Jetco ROG's in the Park Department auditorium. I've even flown on a frozen lake in Northern Sweden, and on a salt flat in Lybia. I even flew small scratch built rubber powered helicopter at a local mall during a show our club put on. And once, I startled one of our female engineers by flying an EZ-B in the lab, flying right around her as she was leaving another cube.

There are times I like having the entire field to myself so I can do all the flying I want that day, and there are times I'll come out, set up one or more planes (usually many more) and spend 5 or 6 hours at the field sitting under the shelter and just BSing.

In all these years, I have seen only been 2 clubs I would not be willing to join. One, flying over the pits was treated as a big joke, and their attitude towards no drinking and flying meant put your beer down before taking off, and the other club was not only very cliquish, but one time I was at their field, one of the members took off when a Piper Cub, owned by a local farmer, was on approach to a landing on his farm,, and went to fly formation behind him. The members there thought it was a cool thing. When I asked about it, I was told he does that all the time, and he knows what he's doing, besides, he's the club president.
I never went back. This club has rarely held a field for more than a couple years, and has frequently been kicked out of fields for similar "Incidents".

Doing stupid things from ignorance is one thing, intentionally doing them is outright stupidity.

mapnet 02-06-2012 05:56 AM

I agree 100% on the above stupid flying comment.
Actions like that affect the whole hobby,and give the general public the wrong impression .

Maurice