RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Do mail magazine reviews get to you too?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/1124512-do-mail-magazine-reviews-get-you-too.html)

JohnVH 09-09-2003 08:35 PM

Do mail magazine reviews get to you too??

Just looking through my new MAN mag. They reviewed the new H9 Ultimate. Now, do a great job on the review showing pics, and this and that. But look at the flight report. Here is a TOC type aircraft, and all they can tell you about is it tracks straight in a loop and rolls are axial. Oh, and it snaps. Give me a break! They should be reviewing trainers and give these type planes to someone that can really fly it....[:o]

Now, a few more pages back you get the GP Lancair ES. Again, nice review, nice pics, check out the flight report. They say aerobatics are where it really shines!! It will do about any manuever, but the loops are round and rolls are axial. Oh wow, this one they did a knife edge and some inverted.... what the.....[:'(]

Ok, next page, CG Extreme 330 ARF. Here is an aerobatic bird again! Some nice pics and this and that, flight review... Says this one really shines here too[>:] It can roll, loop, snap, and do just about every manuever you can come up with...[:@]

What is the deal?? Cant anyone out there do more than rolls and loops??? Sorry about the rant, but if your going to review the model, and its a aerobatic job, try doing some aerobatics instead of saying it will do anything.......There, I feel much better....But know they wont get it.

Shortman 09-09-2003 08:41 PM

RE: Do mail magazine reviews get to you too??

I feel your pain John, but you should already know how they fly from people here on RCU. The magazines usually just give a good job at pictures and how the quality goes (RCREPORT) anyways...

Steven:)

JohnVH 09-09-2003 08:52 PM

Yeah, that is true, Id pay for the info on here anyday over a mag subscription....

I was excited when I picked up the copy as the Ultimate is sweet, but the review left me bummed...

rplumbo 09-09-2003 08:54 PM

Sounds like a lot of reviews in the RCU "magazine." I lost all respect for the RCU reviews when a Kyosho Caliber 30 got 4 or 5 (I don't remember) stars for "advanced aerobatics." Just more drivel churned out by those who have more money or influence than skill.

JohnVH 09-09-2003 09:25 PM

Well, I just re-checked out that one, the review was great, did more than just fly around, and in their opinion, and in the video's, it looks like it flew great. Plus, they did more than touch and go's the whole flight;) The magazines need to do this type of stuff.

Heck, check out the RCU 33% Giles review, even has a shot at hovering in it!! Big plus!! This is what Im talking about, they at least tried to do some stuff with it. Anyway, I will agree with you that sometimes they seem like the maiden flight is the review flight..

jettstarblue 09-09-2003 09:40 PM

Just adding my pet peeve while we're on the subject......
Ever notice that 99% of the reviews say "the plans/model/ect called for a .40 2 stroke, so I put on my belchfire .61",
Or, "this plane was made to take a .25-.40 sized engine, I used a goobersmootcher .46, and REALLY GOT GOOD PERFORMANCE!" Well, yeah!
I realize we as modelers,(apperently) like to overpower everything, but just once I like to see one that said, "The plane is supposed to use a .40 2 stroke or .52 4 stroke, so I used my trusty dusty .35 and got scale-like performance."
That felt good,

Jetts

depfife 09-09-2003 09:46 PM

Other than writing, it seems that building is the number one skill magazines look for when choosing someone to do a review. When a kit/ARF is sent to the writer, getting it built/assembled and the article submitted in a timely manor is a priority. Since flying is the last thing done it often gets rushed.

Great builders are not always great pilots and great pilots are not always great builders. I would like to see some two part articles. Have the builder do a construction article and then turn the plane over to a hot shot pilot to do a performance article.

Eric

jettstarblue 09-09-2003 09:49 PM

ROGER THAT 24 NINER!

Jetts

TallDude. 09-09-2003 11:31 PM

Good Topic JohnVH!

I agree. I haven't been impressed with the magazine reviews either. It seems to me like they are just printing cookie-cutter type reviews. Its almost like they just fill in the blanks and send it off.

The _______ (insert plane here) by _____ (insert manufacturer) was an _____ (easy/hard) build as expected from (previously mentioned manufacturer). Take off was easy with (no/just a touch) of rudder. etc..etc.. etc..

I'm to the point where I just read the last paragraph and search the forums for real opinions of the _____ (plane/engine/accessory) in question.. Oops.. now I'm doing it.

Flyfalcons 09-09-2003 11:53 PM

I was at the hobby shop the other day and saw the MAN article on the Ultimate. My thoughts echo JohnVH's thoughts exactly. It's an ARF, so how much attention really needs to be paid to construction anyway? I'm sorry, but saying something like "I'm not into the more advanced aerobatics, but with this plane I hope to learn!" does no good to anyone when reviewing models like this.

MinnFlyer 09-10-2003 08:49 AM

John, you'll be happy to know that I just started working on a review of the H9 Ultimate for RCU, and it WILL be flown the way it was intended to be. :)

glowplug 09-10-2003 09:03 AM

I take the reviews with a grain of salt......I'm sorry, but 95% of planes that they review have "Problems: None" written in the review.....now we all know that's not the case!! :D

I hope to get a few good tips in the reviews, but always come here to get the TRUE opinions before I buy anything!

The almighty advertising dollar will always win out!!! :D

JohnVH 09-10-2003 09:15 AM

Minn, you lucky dog!! Cant wait to see the review up!!

glowplug, yes, sometimes model dont have any problems, Ive had them like that, whey cant they?

xp8103 09-10-2003 11:17 AM

Here's something ELSE that needs to be reported on......

I subscribe to a couple of car mags too. One of the MOST useful articles they do are on the vehicles in their long term test fleet. They drive them and use them and live with them for a year or so and 30 or 40,000 miles.
How about a long term test on some of the planes that are reviewed. How did the plane hold up?
I'll use as my example of a plane that NEEDED a long term test - my DP Ultimate.
My first few flights went great and if I were reviewing it for a magazine, that would be all you'd get!
BUT, on the 4th flight, as I was refueling, I grabbed my prop end the engine was loose! On the mount?? No... THE FIREWALL had come unglued!
After a dozen or so flights it became VERY clear that the landing gear was made of MUCH too soft aluminum and would not stand up to ANY punishment very long. I ended up bending and bending back to a point where I could see the darned thing settle while I was TAXIING! I replaced the gear with TBM CF gear and all is well.
The canopy comes screwed on from the factory. The instructions say nothing of gluing it on. I didn't It worked its way loose and eventually cracked and came off.

THIS is useful information. As much as if not more so than the original reivew alone!

MinnFlyer 09-10-2003 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Minn, you lucky dog!!
Naww, it's one that belongs to a friend of mine. He was gratious enough to let me take pics as we put it together.

Goinstraightup 09-10-2003 02:27 PM

I saw the MAN review and felt the same way.

I think RCReport is the most honest in the reviews.

I think most modelers are glad to get a plane (when they review it) (or they don't want to tick off an advertiser) so they say - "the kit had a few minor obstacles that can easily be overcome by the average modeler - I would definitely recommend this plane to anyone."

ChuckAuger 09-10-2003 02:46 PM

Just wait until the video for the OMP FF540 review gets posted. I don't know anything about the review, Billy Hell did the review, but I was there for the video of the flight. Let's just say that there is more than loops and rolls. Way more. WAY MORE!!!

dr_wogz 09-10-2003 03:28 PM

RE: Here's something ELSE that needs to be reported on......

I gotta buy mine in Canadian funds. One particular glossy one costs me over $8! MAN, I hate it, but I buy it, even though I have my gripes about it too! Mostly ARFs, and very few 'negative reviews. And a lot of ads. Yet one Mag I subsribe to is a little better. For what it's worth, there are better reviews and more tips, not to mentin articles in general. ANd cheaper too!! At least they give the pros and cons in their write up. And are seemingly on their own schedule, with 'real' people doing the buidling and flying.

RC Report, none found north of the boarder.. (Hint hint guys, contact the chain 'Multimag' here in Qweebec...)

But honestly, there is talk that reviews are biased, becasue the manf. supplies teh kit free of charge, an it's their advertising that pays the bulk of the magazine costs.. So negatrive reviews = negative funds. you scratch mine, I'll scratch yours...

Hangtime 09-10-2003 04:07 PM

one review gripe that bugs me is the constant modifcations done to the review kit, replacement of hardware, changing of diehedral, upgrading of servo's, modification done to incedence or decolage and incessant upgrading of the materials and engine...

with a 'misses: none' conclusion at the end of the article.

if the mfg provided crap hardware, use it; note the substandard quality and publish a picture of the wreck as a result.

if the mfg reccomends a truffle lover 40, use it. if it runs like crap and won't fly the plane, just say so in the review..

etc, etc, etc.

if it's not ready for prime time as provided by the mfg, fer cripes sake tell us so.

MinnFlyer 09-10-2003 04:20 PM

Ho hum. I have said all this before, but for those of you who didn't see it the first time...

Imagine reading a review that says:

"The laser cutting of the wood was incredable. All of the parts fit well, and the glue joints were solid as a rock. The amount of engineering and workmanship that went into this plane are of themselves worth the price. The instructions guide you step by step throughout the entire process, and the covering is immaculate!"

"Oh wait... They sent me some crappy control horns! DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!! Just what the hell do they think I'm going to do, run to the LHS and BUY $1.29 worth of Hardware after I already spent $250 on the plane???"

"Forget it! If I were you, I would buy something else!"

Let's face it, every kit/arf has it's problems, but we are not going to say "Don't buy this piece of crap" just because some of the screws were too short, or a hole was drilled in the wrong place.

JohnVH 09-10-2003 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Hangtime

one review gripe that bugs me is the constant modifcations done to the review kit, replacement of hardware, changing of diehedral, upgrading of servo's, modification done to incedence or decolage and incessant upgrading of the materials and engine...

with a 'misses: none' conclusion at the end of the article.

if the mfg provided crap hardware, use it; note the substandard quality and publish a picture of the wreck as a result.

if the mfg reccomends a truffle lover 40, use it. if it runs like crap and won't fly the plane, just say so in the review..

etc, etc, etc.

if it's not ready for prime time as provided by the mfg, fer cripes sake tell us so.

If a model I reviewed had that type of stuff wrong with it. You all would know.

beardking 09-10-2003 04:28 PM

Minn, I understand what you are going for here, but if you are reviewing a plane for the average American R/C buyer, shouldn't you be telling that average American R/C buyer what exactly was wrong with the arf/kit? I realize that most of us replace this piece of hardware or that piece of hardware, but if you are doing a review of a certain arf/kit, you should review it as it's given to you so the people that read the review understand why they should replace certain things. Just my opinion.

MinnFlyer 09-10-2003 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Hangtime

one review gripe that bugs me is the constant modifcations done to the review kit, replacement of hardware, changing of diehedral, upgrading of servo's, ...

ORIGINAL: beardking

Minn, I understand what you are going for here, but if you are reviewing a plane for the average American R/C buyer, shouldn't you be telling that average American R/C buyer what exactly was wrong with the arf/kit? I realize that most of us replace this piece of hardware or that piece of hardware, but if you are doing a review of a certain arf/kit, you should review it as it's given to you so the people that read the review understand why they should replace certain things. Just my opinion.

I would like to point both of you to 2 of my past reviews. The Gee Bee "Y" and the Spitfire.

In the Gee Bee "Y" review, I flew a 120 size plane with STANDARD servos. Why? Because that's what the instructions recommended. They also said that the plane would take up to a 180 engine. I used a 150, no upgrade there, and the plane flew fabulously on the 150 (with standard servos!).

In the Spitfire review, The hardware was so bad that I had an elevator clevis break while adjusting it. That was the ONLY piece of that crappy hardware that I replaced. (Note, the broken clevis WAS mentioned in the review)

I ALWAYS use what the MFG suggests and/or provides because there may be an inexperienced person out there who doesn't know better.

I can't speak for every reviewer from every magazine, but I CAN tell you that when you read one of my reviews, you will get the straight dope.

glowplug 09-10-2003 09:00 PM

Minn, I think what everybody is saying here is: We wish more magizine reviews were like yours!! The straight dope is what we're looking for.....and many RC Mag reviews don't give it to us.

Hangtime 09-10-2003 10:05 PM

Mike..

What Glowplug said!!

You ain't the problem. There's other reviwers that also do a real good job of giving us the straight scoop.. at least we can read "between the lines" and pick up real quick on where you 'honest' reviewers are dissatisfied.

It's the vast majority of reviews we read that sparked the thread in the first place (good post, John) that are brazenly "cheerleader rallys". Cripes.. not just a few reviews show aftermarket hardware on the review plane and the don't even mention "BTW, you might want to upgrade to 4-40 HD pushrod hardware and glass pushrods and HD control horns.. what was provided was in my opinion inadequite for an agressive aerobatic model".

Yah know??

;)

Steve