RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   I was shopping at my LHS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11245409-i-shopping-my-lhs.html)

Mike in DC 10-01-2012 11:50 AM

RE: I was shopping at my LHS

What I find interesting is that the Internet stores are also facing the same kind of pressure. For example, I buy my appliance parts online. This was a case where local stores were really focused on the trade, and were actually unhelpful, probably on purpose, implying you should have a professional service your appliances. So, I didn't feel bad going online, and getting much better prices was icing on the cake. The first big site was RepairClinic.com, which started off with incredibly great service. They even had a live chat where they would tell you how to troubleshoot and fix your appliance. Then there were some competitors with lower prices, but the same great service, although some used forums to provide instructions.

But now I see there are places that don't have much in the way of instruction, but have startling lower prices (like 40% below RepairClinic.com). So, now you can find out how to fix your appliance on RepairClinic.com, but buy your parts cheaper elsewhere. Same situation Best Buy is running into.

At the same time, I'm seeing places that for a modest fee ($10) will teach you how to fix your appliance.

Personally, I think where we are going is the separation of customer service and support. You buy stuff one place at the lowest price, and you buy support (advice, warrantees, etc.) from another place. Providing "free" support built into the price of "stuff" isn't going to survive.

ira d 10-01-2012 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

What gets me is the price fixing that companies like Spektrum (and others) do when it comes to their new release radios/products. They demand that retailers/distributors all charge a set price. That keeps their prices up and discounts the ability for a LHS to compete. If my LHS had the choice to take $10.00/$20.00 bucks off a new DX8, I'd buy from them so I didn't have to wait weeks for an on line purchase.

LHS are free to charge any price they want they just can't advertise a price lower than the distributors MAP that why at times you will see
adds that say call for price.

ira d 10-01-2012 12:52 PM

If i purchase some servos without a warranty i'm sure not going to buy a warranty someplace else in fact I doubt I will buy anything that
does not come with a warranty.

SigMan 10-01-2012 01:33 PM

ooops ! sorry. im a comparison shopper.

Granpooba 10-01-2012 02:14 PM

I'm happy to say that my LHS has the exact same prices as Tower Hobby. Only problem is that my LHS is about a 1:45 minute drive. Thus depending on the importance of the items I need, sometimes I spend the gas and time to visit my LHS and sometimes with free shipping, I save money with Tower.

I try to give them about 50/50 of my business as I feel that both need to stay in business for the hobby and economy. :D

[email protected] 10-01-2012 02:17 PM

i worked at a hoobby shop part time for 15 yrs> been away from there 10 yrs now but all people like to go where they get the best deal

DGrant 10-01-2012 05:26 PM

One of our newer LHS's in the area has his keyboard and internet right there behind the counter.. he's a very "techy" guy that started the hobby business, while running another established business right under the same roof.. Every hobby shop, and owner.. and any of us have every right to start any sort of business we'd like.. do alot of us have the resources, and funding to do that.. no way.

Those that have the skills and business sense to keep up with the times are going to succeed.. and accell...

In this scenario originally posted..... just what iif... that customer was shopping on his phone.. OK.. the clerk said.. "Hey.. let me see what I can find in my systems and distributors too... I think we can help you.. ".. Now.. that scenario would be interesting.. as the other (read original poster).. is standing there.. apparently not being very patient(in the mind anyway, as reflected in his post that cust.#1 is "wasting time" shopping... online and in-store.. while the clerk is taking time to order/process/confirm cust.1's order.. doing all simply in the course of a transaction.. So again.. who's business is it as to what transpire's between a business and customer... nobody's.. EACH CUSTOMER IS DIFFERENT... and should be treated as such... that's called "personal" service... If someone is disgruntled and thinks a transaction is taking too long... sorry... that's called.. being a consumer. We all learned how to be patient.. and mind our own business in elementary school.. I believe that should be the norm in todays world.. unless possibly provoked on a forum of open discussion such as this.. then folks all bets are off. There will definately be difference of opinion.

Right now, I think I'll do something constructive.. work on my plane.. that sounds good. :)

countilaw 10-01-2012 06:20 PM

I wasn't being impatient, I was just disgusted that the other customer had the gall to waste the clerks time, when he knew all the time he wasn't going to spend his money with the LHS. He was just getting all the free advise and shopping done at the clerks expense.

I too, shop around. I spend a lot of time on the internet researching a product. If my LHS doesn't have it I may get it online. If he can get it for me, I'll pay up front for him to order it and save myself some shipping cost. He can usually have it as fast as I could get it from Tower or Horizon.

I don't fault anyone for trying to save a little money, but don't go fondle the merchandize at the LHS and then order it online.

Now as a previous posted stated, his closest hobby shop is an 1:45 minutes away, it may not be worth it to drive that far. Depends on his gas mileage. You have to factor into making that purchase as to what gas is going to cost, as well as the cost of the product. It really doesn't make much sense to spend $3.00 for gas for a $2.00 part.

I live about 15 minutes from my LHS and I still put off the trip until I multiple items.

Frank

topspin 10-01-2012 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

When all LHS owners act childish and throw out the customers who ever buy online, they will have to close very soon.
Online stores, especially HK have changed the market, people will keep buying online.

Now there is still room for these stores, people need something right now - and they are willing to pay some extra $.
Also if they'd get involved in local clubs and activities, they could make some money.
If I had an LHS, I'd probably close on Monday and have a trailer to get to some local events on the weekends instead.

Lets review your post Oliver. Starting off with, "When all LHS owners act childish and throw out the customers who ever buy online, they will have to close very soon."

OK, so who did that? I don't recall anyone takling about throwing anyone out so you got me on that one. Are all LHS owners childish? Really?

Next we have, "Online stores, especially HK have changed the market, people will keep buying online." I don't recall anyone saying anything about Hobby King either but obviously you did not read Bill G's Post because if you had you would see that he already said part of what you said only much much better in my opinion.

And this, "Also if they'd get involved in local clubs and activities, they could make some money. " I know of four Hobby shops in Northern VA and Maryland that are very involved in club activities. They also sponsor events that couldn't happen without them. Not sure where you live but they must be really poor.

Online shopping has it's place but the low buck Chinese mail order guys are really secondary in the US hobby market simply because they have no customer service of any kind and no warranty. Get on live chat with Hobby King sometime and ask them a technical question about something they sell and see what kind of answer you get. Go to your LHS and ask the same question and I bet someone will very happily answer your question.

scale only 4 me 10-01-2012 07:31 PM

The OP mentioned Hobby King in the OP

Best Buy stated this same situation, cusomers coming in comparing and then buying online elsewhere, as the reason they've been closing stores nation wide. Just the nature of retail in todays world.

inf3rn0gt 10-02-2012 03:28 AM

On this one I can see both side. We are getting into slot cars. The local slot car track is amazing and they have a little hobby store inside. His prices are identical to the online prices for the same stuff. I am buying from him. I have grilled him on questions, had my son's birthday party there, we go there to rent his cars... plus I prefer to support local small businesses. As for "regular" hobby shops in my area, only 3 are left.2 are 30 mins away and the 3rd is like 45 mins away. I watched 3 of them close in the last 3 years. 2 were great shops, 1 was a good shop, but a rude owner. None of them had an online presence aside from "Here I am, come see me"

The best of the remaining shops, has a webpage, but what kept him afloat was his plane kit business. When things are slow, he is churning out kits on a laser cutter. Local businesses need to adapt to the 21st century. Without that, they will be a dying breed.

I do shop online. I read a lot. I use a Kindle. It saves me space (not storing books) and I can get books cheaper than going into a Barnes and Noble. That saves me a ton of $$$ and space. I have countless examples of how Amazon has saved me a fortune on stuff and getting free shipping and 2 day delivery (Prime) has paid for itself.

There will always be a blend, it is up to you on how you blend it. Hobby stuff? LHS.... Dehumidifier? Amazon for 40.00 less, and free 2 day shipping... most people at Lowes or Home Despot don't help too much anyways...

Just my .02

corch 10-02-2012 03:57 AM

My lhs is awesome.  Our airplane club has a "build" or ARF assembly room in the basement of the LHS.  We have room for 7-8 people with their projects.  Also have some things like a drill press, belt sander, shop vacs etc.  Communal heat guns/irons and an assortment of covering materials.  Clamps, drill bits, and assorted hardware.  If we don't have it in the club room, just run upstairs and get what you need for 15% off on most things (not motors, engines, fuel, rx/tx is still full price, which is the same as tower prices) as long as you are a current member of the model airplane club.  We have guys doing up full kits from scratch and putting together their first trainer arf.<div>
</div><div>If you put together or repair a couple projects, you may save enough to pay your club dues for the year:)</div>

Sport_Pilot 10-02-2012 04:31 AM

Low life? No smart. However if the saveings is small and available I would buy from the LHS. Nothing wrong with shopping on line.

init4fun 10-02-2012 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: inf3rn0gt

1 was a good shop, but a rude owner.

[8D] In his defense , , , Bob Rice , the man who owned the Hobby USA / Hobbytown store in Ashland , , AKA "The Prop Nazi" , Really wasn't a rude guy at all . I did business with him for years , and yes , I'll agree , he didn't tolerate fools and pushy bargain hunters well . Many times I saw him go the extra mile trying to help someone , who would then take the info learned and go buy the product elsewhere . I can't blame Bob one bit for getting frustrated with the instant experts , internet know it alls , and lookie Lous who took far too much of his time without spending one single dime in his store .

The "Prop Nazi" persona was nothing more than a front , a way to protect his sanity from the ravages of dealing with the day to day cheapskates who would rob him of time , by using him as an unpaid teacher .

:D Long Live the Prop Nazi !!!!! :D ..... I , as a lifelong RC flyer , miss both him and his store .......

jester_s1 10-02-2012 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC
Personally, I think where we are going is the separation of customer service and support. You buy stuff one place at the lowest price, and you buy support (advice, warrantees, etc.) from another place. Providing ''free'' support built into the price of ''stuff'' isn't going to survive.
True, and it's not a good thing. This is free market economics at work though, because the market has driven this low price/ no service model. Cheap people will run to spend their money at the warehouse operation that has 3% cheaper prices just because price is all they are focused on. I'm all for getting a good value and saving money where I can, but being cheap is a character flaw (a common one). Cheap people buy from bargain basement operations and then get upset when they need service. Brick and mortar operations that want to survive will have to sell customers on the value of service, which is an uphill battle for many.

scale only 4 me 10-02-2012 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: corch

My lhs is awesome. Our airplane club has a ''build'' or ARF assembly room in the basement of the LHS. We have room for 7-8 people with their projects. Also have some things like a drill press, belt sander, shop vacs etc. Communal heat guns/irons and an assortment of covering materials. Clamps, drill bits, and assorted hardware. If we don't have it in the club room, just run upstairs and get what you need for 15% off on most things (not motors, engines, fuel, rx/tx is still full price, which is the same as tower prices) as long as you are a current member of the model airplane club. We have guys doing up full kits from scratch and putting together their first trainer arf.<div>
</div><div>If you put together or repair a couple projects, you may save enough to pay your club dues for the year:)</div>
See you hit on why your store succeeds while others fail,, He is providing a service and a reason to come in the store in the form of tools and a place to build,, Not just parts & pieces. Unfortunately many shops don't even employ people qualified to give decent advise.

We have evolved into a service based economy for the most part. My business has changed dramatically from exclusively building Custom Cabinets to doing Service and Repair on Homes with the occasional custom job. When people come to believe they can get it cheaper at Home Depot and aren't willing to pay for a premium custom built kitchen, what can you do but adapt?

My other ex-LHS, a Hobbytown USA closed finally last year,, For about 2 years prior they never restocked props, landing gear, fuel tanks or any other Airplane accessories. But you'd go in there and the guys would be busy repairing RC Cars & Trucks. Selling RTR Cars & Trucks and then repairing little Johnny's Birthday present had become their prime business. Oh they did have a few RTF Parkzone type plaes on the wall, but for the most part they left us airplane guys in the lurch pretty much forcing us to buy online or drive an hour to the only decent LHS left in NEO.

I don't think you Die hard LHS supporters at any and all cost know what it's like to Not have a decent store to support. I buy almost 100% online for hobby stuff now and have no shame in doing it

ovationdave 10-02-2012 06:37 AM

I do support my LHS when possible, becuase I want them there when I need to pick up a pack of heavy-duty clevises or a specific fuel tank, etc.... So I do purchase from them when I can, even if it is a bit more. They have to make money too, and I like having them around. But there is a limit. If the price is reasonalbe, I will make the purchase, but if its going to cost me $50 extra for for a $200 motor, I will go elsewhere. One thing that frustrates me is that now that flying has become an ARF hobby, they carry very few kits that don't require me to wind up a rubber band, so I build mostly from older kits OR scratch OR short kits. The problem is the LHS does not even carry a good enough balsa/ply/hardwood collection to support my short-kit builds, so I have to go elsewhere for wood.

I just wish they would support those who like to build and not just the arf flyers. Not to mention the balsa prices at the LHS are too high, it would cost a small fortune to try to stock up for a short-kit build if you planned to buy all of your balsa from them, even if it was in stock!

bafflerback 10-02-2012 06:46 AM

Talk all you want but let me tell you what is going to happen. I race cars along with flying model airplanes. I use to always deal with the local speed shop because on a Saturday when I needed something they had it. Then the Internet introduced us to Summit and Jeg's. Cheap prices a phone call away. The local speed shop couldn't complete and closed. Now if I need a Holley gasket for Saturday I might as well not go racing because I can't get it. Cutting overhead doesn't help when Jeg's is selling it for the same price that the local speed shop is paying.

So go ahead and use the internet. Give your business to Hobby King. And when the local hobby shop closes where are you going to get that propeller you broke Saturday so you can fly Sunday. Better yet where are you going to get your fuel. Buy fuel off the internet and see what it cost to ship when the shipper realizes what it is.

If I had a person in my shop checking my prices on his I-Phone I'd have shown him the door.

buzzard350 10-02-2012 07:04 AM

I try to support the Ol' LHS- when I can... Occasionally you come across some of these guys who are shameless gougers. One time I remember saying: "Yeah, let me have two of those mini-servos" (on a rack on the wall behind the counter) only to find they were three times the price of those at Hobby Shack (yes, this was a while ago.) They wanted $90 for what should have been a $30 purchase! I don't mind paying a moderate amount more, but I got my limits. Some of these guys think they are some kind of a charitable institution we all need to support by paying astronomical prices. The shop I mention is now out of business, as it should be.

apwachholz 10-02-2012 08:26 AM

<div>My 2 Cents</div><div></div><div>When I was living in MN-ota the Hub Hobby in Richfield was thee place to go for all things aviation. And to this day, they are still one of the better places within the metro area. Several times I'd walk in, mention a cost I saw online, and they would gladly look it up to compare. More often then not they matched or offered less then the price online with no additional shipping costs. Complex purchases (i.e., product I'm not familiar with) I like to do in-person and am willing to pony up a bit more cash for the ability to walk the product back to the store and ask for help or a return.</div><div></div>That being said, I'm a fan of online purchasing when it is cheaper or I don't have any questions. But, if you have it in stock and it's a few bucks more, I'll probably buy it. As a caveat to the story above, I've even had Hub point me to an online location if they don't stock it or can't order it and then tell me to return to the store with any questions or help! Now that's customer service and that kept me coming back.

-aw<br type="_moz" />

JoshuaDA10 10-02-2012 08:44 AM

I've seen several posts here lamentinghow the clerks time was being wasted. In response all I have to say is that he must have just been a "clerk" because any sort of real salesman could have turned that situation around. If his time was being wasted it was his own fault.

Bill G 10-02-2012 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: JoshuaDA10

I've seen several posts here lamenting how the clerks time was being wasted. In response all I have to say is that he must have just been a ''clerk'' because any sort of real salesman could have turned that situation around. If his time was being wasted it was his own fault.
Absolutely. A good reply would be, "If you want the best prices, then there isn't even going to be a chance that you will get them here. Go shop online, and after you find out what kind of service you will get, then you are always welcome to come back here. Hopefully we'll still be here".

As for the place I've been going to, well they've been asking me to shop online, but that's a different story. They only help customers if they are interested in the product themselves. I think part of it has to do with them not wanting to move 2 feet from the point behind the counter where they are sitting. They become disgusted when I ask them for a minute of their time to sort through the motor/esc/servo/battery area. Actually I wouldn't even ask them, but they don't want you in that area without them. They expect me to quickly point and say "I want that one", as if I have no business wanting to look through the products. I've been as polite as possible with them from day one, so it's not a personal issue either, other than on their end. I've already caught them gossiping about customers, making sure that all the salesmen don't like whoever that particular salesman doesn't like. The reason for gossiping about him was absolute BS also. Probably what happened to me. I really don't like going there anymore, and only stop when I have to. I used to enjoy the place at one time.

mscic-RCU 10-02-2012 09:13 AM

One thing is for sure when you deal with the Chinese directly, be it overseas or here in the US, sooner or later you will need customer service and they don't have it. You have to understand that the low price comes with consequences and that usually means no customer service. As long as you can accept that, purchase away. I support my LHS as much as I can and, yes, I purchase from the Chinese too.

w0mbat 10-02-2012 09:14 AM

This happens all the time in our hobby shop and online store. It's just one of those unfortunate parts of operating a retail business based in the USA. People are under no obligation to buy products from me simply because I am a local hobby shop- although a lot of people do (and we are extremely grateful for them!).

As a hobby shop owner, it's not difficult to figure out who is just using you for information so they can buy from China. These people always ask the same questions every time! In those cases, the hobby shop is also under no obligation to give them 100% accurate information! Either way, I would never turn anyone away who was looking for legitimate help getting into the hobby whether they purchase the product from me or not. Honesty, I don't make enough on planes, cars, radios, engines etc. to care where they purchase it as long as they come back to me for props and misc hardware.

I admit that I will go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and look at their products while buying online for a substantial price savings, however, I would never take up a salesperson's time when that was my original intent. There have also been times where I went there intending to purchase a product from them but couldn't get adequate help so I was forced to research and buy online.

JoshuaDA10 10-02-2012 09:26 AM

All you can do is try and give every prospect value for their dollar, and of course Iam being rhetorical there. I try to by from my LHS whenever I can because Ihave developed a relationship with them. Iget called by my first name when I walk in the door, and they toss me the keys to the cases. They know what I like, and suggest products to me. They also know Iam a builder and will go out of their way to try and order me things they would never carry. The owner buys alot of estate product, and I love that because it opens the door for haggling...which I enjoy so much I decided to do it for a living. It's about value, and for some that value is only in $. Just one guys 2 cents.