RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   EXPERT PILOTS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11540923-expert-pilots.html)

sensei 06-12-2013 04:15 AM

EXPERT PILOTS

Just a question, what criteria defines an expert pilot, I am one of those that reads many posts, I then go into the profile of those posting and I see allot of guys stating they are expert pilots, I consider myself and advanced pilot after many years of flying so lets hear some other opinions boys and girls.

Bob

Live Wire 06-12-2013 04:32 AM

RE: EXPERT PILOTS

Depends on how deep the hole is in the ground:eek: or just ask them:D an old fart still learning.

bogbeagle 06-12-2013 04:37 AM

A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area ... from a dictionary.

Discuss. :D

Fly RC II 06-12-2013 05:33 AM

comprehensive and authoritative knowledge

Hmmm - an entire discussion all its own! :D

BarracudaHockey 06-12-2013 05:52 AM

Even if you know all about models, that doesn't make you an expert pilot.

Fly RC II 06-12-2013 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Even if you know all about models, that doesn't make you an expert pilot.
What is the metaphor? Nail on the head or something of that nature? Lol

Sorry, I took this into another direction totally in humor and not to be offensive to anyone.

countilaw 06-12-2013 08:06 AM

I know one gentleman at our field that thinks he's an expert pilot. It just takes him three or four tries to get it back on the runway.
He can do loops, rolls, stalls and spins, just can't put the plane where he wants it.

You will never hear a real expert claim he's an expert.

Frank

Charlie P. 06-12-2013 08:20 AM

I've seen expert pilots at our Fun Flys and know a couple at the clubs I belong to. I consider myself intermediate because I don't get the practice time in, and I frequentlyblow maneuvers the first try (or just can't do them at all with models that should be capable). There are pilots who fly nice racetrack patterns and never crash - but that doesn't show expertise . . . just a well rehearsedrut.

If you can do a horizontal rolling circle with one, two, three and four full turns as askedwithout changing altitude and the same in the form of avertical rolling circle, keeping both nice and round and exiting where you enteredI'd class you an expert pilot.I know pilots who can - I can't.

WhenIgot back into R/C in 2000 or so my mentor/instructor was a FAIpilot who has competed and won internationally in pattern contests. HEis an expert pilot. One of the student pilots at our club complained his trainer model wasn't maneuverable so that expert pilot flew that year's fullSportsman Pattern sequence with the plane. The rolls were not quite axial, but the secondand subsequent ones were almost axial.

MajorTomski 06-12-2013 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area ... from a dictionary.

Or

From the Latin:"EX" meaning from

And the engilsh "pert" a drip of water under pressure.

Most experts are the equivalent of something from a drip under a lot of pressure!

bogbeagle 06-12-2013 10:18 AM

Ha, ha.

Well, I just had to "look it up".

expert (adj.)

late 14c., from Old French expert and directly from Latin expertus, past participle of experiri "to try, test" (see experience). The noun sense of "person wise through experience" existed 15c., reappeared 1825. Related: Expertly.

We have now introduced the notion of "wisdom" ... clearly, flying skill is not a sufficient condition of expertise; though it is a necessary condition.

[email protected] 06-12-2013 10:48 AM

who made the expert who told the expert he was a expert i dont belive in expert no matter what he does in life he just happens to be better then some

opjose 06-12-2013 10:48 AM

An "expert pilot" is the guy that the majority of others want maidening their planes.

It's the guy that people ask to land their plane after the wheels fall off in flight, or who takes over for you when you discover that your ailerons are reversed.

Everyone else is an "experienced" or "proficient" pilot.

FormerCA. 06-12-2013 11:04 AM

A skilled and proficient pilot who will be the first to admit that he DOESN'T know everything, and that learning is a life-long process.

[email protected] 06-12-2013 11:09 AM

guess iam a expert i dont know much of everything just a little of it all lol allen

badarkstar 06-12-2013 11:49 AM

My belief is that the expert pilot will be the one that doesn't call himself an expert pilot, but everyone wants to fly as well as he does, and thinks of him as an expert.
Now that I think about it, I would think the expert not only flies like an expert, but approaches his aircraft like an expert would. Set up, maintenance, and flies that particular craft within its capabilities.

Badams

Charlie P. 06-12-2013 11:53 AM

In the workplace I have found that an "expert" is someone who lives more than sixty miles away.  No other qualifications necessary.</p>

Live Wire 06-12-2013 12:58 PM

I just consider my self a pilot:eek: I pile it here and pile it there, and I am good at that:D so I must be a expert with :eek:[:@]

jmpups 06-12-2013 12:59 PM

Come to a Top Gun event and you will see the difference between the Men and the Boys.

BarracudaHockey 06-12-2013 01:01 PM

LOL yea, if you're watching team scale :)

[email protected] 06-12-2013 01:04 PM

no way there are as many good flyers in small clubs as people who have money get things free and are the rich

Live Wire 06-12-2013 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jmpups

Come to a Top Gun event and you will see the difference between the Men and the Boys.
That does not make a person an Expert, Just shows who has the deepest pockets:eek:

john josey 06-12-2013 01:44 PM

For me an expert pilot is a pleasure to watch with the advanced much of the same but not quite as accurate or consistant.</p>

Anybody that can perform the one roll rolling circle is in my eye's an expert pilot.</p>

astrohog 06-12-2013 02:05 PM

An expert is the club instructor..............wait a minute...............SHOULD be the club instructor!! LOL!!

My experience is that there are a lot of self-proclaimed "experts", but very few "real" experts! The "real" experts will never admit to being experts, so is there really such a thing as an expert?

Regards,

Astro

JohnB96041 06-12-2013 02:27 PM

An 'expert' is a little drip under pressure.

rednekk58 06-12-2013 03:14 PM

I think for a lot of them it has to do with how big their ego is! :D I asked this question a while back too. Been flying n crashing, on n off since '78 or so. Have designed n flew my own designs. I know some, but not all, n there is always someone smarter.