RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Help save a hobby shop! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11597707-help-save-hobby-shop.html)

collector1231 04-16-2014 04:05 AM

Help save a hobby shop!

http://www.change.org/petitions/texa...itionexas#news

Sign this campaign to keep a local hobby shop in Texas. As of this post, they only need 136 more signatures. I think we can provide them with that!

Texas Land Condemnation To Take Hobby Facility From Children

Mike's Hobby Shop has been providing recreational hobby facilities for
children, scouts, young adults, and adult North Texans for over 26
years. Located on I-35 in Carrollton, Mike's Hobby Shop provides over 51,000
square feet of indoor and outdoor recreational facilities including 3
remote control (RC) car tracks, a Pinewood derby car track, a space for indoor electric aircraft and helicopter flying, as well as a retail store with sales and in-store service.
Due to the I-35 corridor expansion, however, The State of
Texas has begun proceedings to take half of the facility through the eminent domain process. The line that defines the portion of the property being sought by the state literally cuts through all 3 RC car tracks, rendering the entire facility useless in terms of its current operation.
By law, the State of Texas has the right to take a landowner's property.
Still, they must compensate the landowner fairly. Despite fair, honest,
good faith work by Mike's Hobby Shop owner Mike Darnell, the
state is insisting only purchasing half of his building, and is using real
estate comparables from other parts of the metroplex that come in at 30%
of the actual value of the land.
Faced with having to renovate and sell the remaining half of the building, and being offered a sub-market acquisition price by the state, Mike won't be able to afford to re-open the facility and will be permanently forced to close.

RCKen 04-16-2014 05:49 AM

The is an absolute shame. Every time I head down to the DFW area as stop at Mike's equals AT LEAST $500 out of my wallet. In addition, the staff is always friendly and helpful and will do everything they can to take care of whatever your needs are when you walk through the doors. Even though I only visit maybe once or twice a year they still treat me like I walk in there every weekend!!!!

It's an outrage that they can do something like this to an existing and thriving business.

I've signed the petition to help save Mike's

Ken

Hossfly 04-16-2014 06:42 AM

So have I signed on. The "State" can do whatever it pleases, and Texas is gradually moving into that direction. Not long ago, there was a great state election about water rights. The state made it sound great to assist current water needs. In reality, IN MY OPINION, anyone with a working brain could see the camouflage. Of course it passed. Now I am still wondering just how much longer it will be before "they" arrive to place a lock on my water well so as to tax me on my own water usage. In addition with all these new highways being built, and one is very close to my country home, many real-properties are being condemned due to water items. In reality it is only so the "in-house-realtors" can obtain the properties for very little cost, to build their new shopping malls and additions at low costs. I am sure that a number of RC model facilities will also fall to this take-over of various land deals.

AMA 74894 04-16-2014 07:08 AM

I'm in. petition signed.

balsa brain 04-16-2014 07:13 AM

Signed. My local hobby shop just shut their doors about six months ago. It's really sad to see these businesses going down.

JollyPopper 04-16-2014 08:59 AM

I'm in, not only because we need all the local hobby shops to remain in business that possibly can. but also because I was the victim of eminent domain about six years ago. It is a helpless feeeling. Especially in my case because all the grandiose plans they had for my property came to nothing. They bull dozed the house after they finally got me out, left a big hole in the ground and rubble lying around and now the property is head high in weeds. Absolutely nothing came of the politicians' unreasonable plans for expanding the airport that I lived next to.

topspin 04-16-2014 12:07 PM

I signed, I hate to see another US hobby store go down. The State governments should support local businesses especially with so much of the hobby profits moving overseas.

collector1231 04-16-2014 12:57 PM

Glad to hear all of us are helping make a difference. Thanks guys!

thepamster 04-16-2014 01:14 PM

Wow this is the first I have heard of this and I live here. I've known Mike for over 25 years. I buy a lot of stuff from him and have always tried to support my local hobby shop, LHS.
Signed.

757jonp 04-16-2014 01:22 PM

While I sympathize with the locals down in Texas about a favorite hobby shop possibly closing, I fail to see what possible good my signature on a petition would do considering I live in Virginia.

I would think the only signatures that matter would have to have a local address.

Rv7garage 04-16-2014 03:12 PM

Hossfly- the beginning of the end was when all the yuppies started flooding into the Austin area. Just my opinion ;)

sdcranford 04-16-2014 03:23 PM

I signed and posted on my facebook page asking my friends to sign it too.

thepamster 04-16-2014 03:39 PM

I am not sure if out of town signatures count or not but it certainly can't hurt. Often times people do come in from out of town for events and do visit the hobby shops and this is a good one. It is not like the rymes with "bobby frown" hobby shop. This one carries A LOT of stuff.

Airplanes400 04-16-2014 04:56 PM

What a shame! Hobby shops are hard enough to keep open these days. Besides that, they are not that profitable. People do it for their love of the hobby rather than the amount of money that it will bring in.

wahoo 04-16-2014 05:52 PM

I tried ...but CHANGE.ORG wouldn't open for me... my best advice would have to be is, get what you can get...shut'r down, go on gov't assistance and vote for Hillary in '16

Edit... the site opened and I signed...

thepamster 04-16-2014 06:04 PM

It didn't work for me at first either but did the second time.
Disagree with "most" of the rest of your post Wahoo.

wahoo 04-16-2014 06:22 PM

Glad to hear that dear..as most of it was sarcasm...

CafeenMan 04-16-2014 07:05 PM

Signed

2walla 04-16-2014 07:35 PM

This sucks.. They should relocate him to a comprable facility.. Great shop, I lways make a stop when i go through town.

wbrents 04-17-2014 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by collector1231 (Post 11784102)
http://www.change.org/petitions/texa...itionexas#news

Sign this campaign to keep a local hobby shop in Texas. As of this post, they only need 136 more signatures. I think we can provide them with that!

Something is missing here. Has Mike hired a lawyer or real estate expert, or both? Have negotiations begun? There is a long list of the types of additional damages
that can be recovered here, like damage to the remainder, loss of business, etc. If the State is pushed, a business can get a lot more than the value of the land taken, in the case of a partial taking, like here. I have seen some cases where the business came out in very good shape. Of course, it is a great big drawn out hassle.
Walker

Steve Landron 04-17-2014 05:26 AM

Signed.

bill4719 04-17-2014 05:43 AM

Signed

Hawk131 04-17-2014 06:30 AM

Signed, so I guess the state of Texas is using tactics of the federal government.

Edwin 04-17-2014 06:42 AM

Won't let me sign. Keeps saying there is an error, but doesn't say what it is.
Edwin

philakapd 04-17-2014 06:49 AM

Signed. It did take several refresh attempts to complete the signature and post results.