RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   old timers look here must be 50+ years only (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html)

Joe Fisher 01-11-2017 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I down loaded the plans about a year ago 32ea 8.5X 11 sheets taped together. I had some 3/32X4 balsa sheet so I cut out the first 12 ribs.I used the small plans copy to make up my balsa order.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2196348http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2196349

acdii 01-11-2017 06:48 PM

Well, I thank Ford for making a Safe truck. Had a crash on the way home due to icy roads. An F150 slid across my lane and I hit him broadside. My chest is killing me, have hopefully just bruised ribs from the airbag and seat belt. Sore shin where it hit the dash, and sore wrists from the steering wheel. The entire front end is smashed in, but the passenger compartment is undamaged. All the airbags deployed too. My ears are still ringing.

Now to go through all the BS with Insurance, and Thank God for GAP insurance! Pretty sure its a total, which means have to get the payoff done, then look for a replacement. Been through this once already 3 years ago.

the pope 01-11-2017 06:58 PM

Sorry to hear about that acdcr2d2. When I see video's of the bad weather in the states I'm amazed u even venture outside let alone on the roads . Hope the insurance gets u a better car . I mean to say thats what its for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acdii 01-11-2017 07:05 PM

Well, I don't want a better truck, I loved my truck, now I have to find a replacement, and that will be a royal pain. It took me a month of searching to find this one. :( There are very few rear wheel drive F150's around here.

FlyerInOKC 01-11-2017 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12295196)
Well, I thank Ford for making a Safe truck. Had a crash on the way home due to icy roads. An F150 slid across my lane and I hit him broadside. My chest is killing me, have hopefully just bruised ribs from the airbag and seat belt. Sore shin where it hit the dash, and sore wrists from the steering wheel. The entire front end is smashed in, but the passenger compartment is undamaged. All the airbags deployed too. My ears are still ringing.

Now to go through all the BS with Insurance, and Thank God for GAP insurance! Pretty sure its a total, which means have to get the payoff done, then look for a replacement. Been through this once already 3 years ago.

Get you butt to a doctor tomorrow chest pain can be a bruised heart! My brother almost learned the hard way when he broadsided someone! This could be dangerous even life threatening, go!!!

Joe Fisher 01-11-2017 08:39 PM

Yea I know what you mean. I have a 1998 F150 2 wheel drive regular cab, and I see a lot of them around but not for sale.

Telemaster Sales UK 01-11-2017 10:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a Volkswagen LT28 van. It weighs nearly two tonnes and is rear wheel drive. I was told, before I moved to France that the local councils do not grit the minor roads in winter. In England they grit all of the roads with coarse salt. This takes the freezing point of water down from 0C to -6C (21F) and it only rarely gets that cold in England in the winter so most of the time the roads are free of ice. I was driving home from celebrating the New Year at the model flying club, pictures below. This involved turning out of the field, rolling down a slope, crossing what passes for a main road here, driving up another slope then rolling down to the centre of the village where I live, a distance of less than two kilometres. I was not quite stone cold sober. While driving up the bank the back end broke away twice. Fortunately there was nobody else on the road at 01.15 and I managed to hold it. I was obviously using too much power for the conditions and I drove the rest of the way extremely slowly. Must order a new set of tyres for the rear. I'm glad that you're not too badly hurt acdii. Drive carefully gentlemen. Meanwhile pope is sweltering in the heat of an Australian summer. Got that Laser going yet Pope?

the pope 01-12-2017 01:01 AM

Hi there Tele . The pope moves in mysterious ways . The monocoupe arrived about a day after the engine came . Then for some perverse illogical reason I dragged out a wot4 xl out of the spare room and started thinking of putting that together . A DLE 20 is earmarked for that one but I wanted a canister for that so I started farting around searching for that . The monocoupe needs the floor removed upfront to lower the fuel tanks and I think that has put me off . Its no biggy , all i have to do is dremel out the bottom where needed and put in a false floor and some reinforcement of tank bay sides . It seems the more spare time I have the less I want to do . Although I have been doing stff around the house and Im sick to death of that as well ! I cant win , lifes tuff . I glad your burn outs went well on new years , whats the pollution like coming out of the ol VW ? I wouldnt take it back to the dealer for a service . They have a few billion $ to claw back .

the pope 01-12-2017 01:26 AM

Forgot to say that laser is one sexy looking beast . A real nice looking piece of machinery . I do really need the laser powered monocoupe to be my next project . Ive pretty much got everything I need bar a few odds . I want to do a proper job on the cooling in that big round cowl with baffles etc. Like I said its all straight forward but I need a rocket up the backside to get me moving . You dont know what the deal is with the double washer prop lock nut deal is by any chance do you ?

Telemaster Sales UK 01-12-2017 04:12 AM

Pope, as far as the van is concerned, it is nineteen years old and powered by a five-cylinder 2.5 litre diesel engine. Every two years in France a vehicle has to pass a "Controlle Technique" or technical check to establish that it is still roadworthy. With commercial vehicles like mine, every intervening year the vehicle's exhaust emissions are tested. My van passed its emissions test with flying colours last year but I will have to make an appointment with the CT people pretty soon as the current certificate expires in March. I have owned it for about eighteen months and have fitted a new steering rack, two new front tyres, and new discs and pads to the vehicle so I hope that with the new rear tyres it will pass the CT easily. You are not allowed to sell a used vehicle in France if it has less than nineteen months CT on it, unless you specify that you are selling the vehicle for spares, not that I'm interested in selling it. I serviced the van when I was back in England with it last year. My best (English) friend is a professional motor mechanic so I used his facilities. I think it should pass the CT but its emissions may be more pollutant than a modern diesel vehicle. It doesn't smoke mind.

As for your Laser V twin I will need to see a picture of the double prop lock-nut to be able to advise. Is this your first four-stroke Pope? Many Japanese four-strokes have two prop nuts. You tighten the one against the propeller in the usual way and then you tighten the second nut against the first. My new single cylinder Laser engines just have one conventional nut on the prop-shaft and my Laser 150V twin which I bought secondhand, has a non-standard spinner nut on the end of the prop-shaft. I was surprised at how smooth the engine was when it ran.

Come on Pope, snap out of it! At least it's summer and the flying season down there! There's snow forecast for central France this evening and as I'm over 400 metres above sea level where I live, I'm anticipating quite a fall.

Good model building weather! :o.

karolh 01-12-2017 05:40 AM

I been away for a bit and even though the year is already almost a month old I'm taking this opportunity to wish all of you a very belated Happy New Year :cool:

harcosparky 01-12-2017 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by karolh (Post 12295312)
I been away for a bit and even though the year is already almost a month old I'm taking this opportunity to wish all of you a very belated Happy New Year :cool:

Thank you and Happy New Year to you as well.

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by the pope (Post 12295273)
Forgot to say that laser is one sexy looking beast . A real nice looking piece of machinery . I do really need the laser powered monocoupe to be my next project . Ive pretty much got everything I need bar a few odds . I want to do a proper job on the cooling in that big round cowl with baffles etc. Like I said its all straight forward but I need a rocket up the backside to get me moving . You dont know what the deal is with the double washer prop lock nut deal is by any chance do you ?

I know just what you need to get going on the Monocoupe, if you don't get it started in the next couple of weeks we'll get O.F. to move in with you to give daily if not hourly inspiration! You might want to lay in supplies you know how he likes to drink. ;-)

Telemaster Sales UK 01-12-2017 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by karolh (Post 12295312)

Same to you Karol!

rt3232 01-12-2017 08:02 AM

Hay acdii
I know this is a little late but I am in the build stage so oly come hear when I have time.
Sorry to hear about your accident < I to loved my Ford Trucks over the years , but last one was to bad when I got T boned. It took about a month to get over the bruises and sore spots, Hear in Minnesota we get iceeee roads and for the most part the road dept takes good care of them but some drivers just refuse to slow down Any way I have gone to Dodge Caravans with the sto-and -go as that lets me carry my big birds

Cheers Bob T

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 08:18 AM

I can see how a van that allows you to lay everything flat into the floor would be very attractive.

acdii 01-12-2017 10:22 AM

Yep, but they can't tow a house trailer! :) Man, it is difficult trying to find a replacement truck! They are either low end, or high end, not much in the middle where my truck was. and not a single RWD to be found! You know thats a $3400 difference!?

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12295399)
Yep, but they can't tow a house trailer! :) Man, it is difficult trying to find a replacement truck! They are either low end, or high end, not much in the middle where my truck was. and not a single RWD to be found! You know thats a $3400 difference!?

I know what you mean they all seem to be extended or quad cabs and just try to find something with a 8 foot bed, good luck! All I ever see are the 6.5 and 5.5 foot beds.

jwrich 01-12-2017 11:42 AM

Where I live is farm/Rance country F-150 is the most common truck. Do you mean to say that new F-150 Ford pickup trucks are not rear wheel drive? I have a 2001 F-150 I bought new in May, 2001, I only wanted a regular cab with 8' bed, air conditioning, radio and standard transmission. What I got came with 8' bed , air conditioning, radio,CD player, cruse control and 5 speed trans. I put a matching color topper and rigged it with wing racks, a folding 6' table with my canopy all the way to the front of the bed. I can fit 3,1/4 scale Balsa USA WW I airplanes and all the needed flight gear and small baggage into the back. I travel to as many Dawn Patrol events around the country that I can up to a 1000 miles. It has serviced me well and it now has 98238 miles on it. The wife said I can buy a new truck when I want to, but I said this one will last another 5 years. If not I'll buy another F-150.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12295433)
Where I live is farm/Rance country F-150 is the most common truck. Do you mean to say that new F-150 Ford pickup trucks are not rear wheel drive? I have a 2001 F-150 I bought new in May, 2001, I only wanted a regular cab with 8' bed, air conditioning, radio and standard transmission. What I got came with 8' bed , air conditioning, radio,CD player, cruse control and 5 speed trans. I put a matching color topper and rigged it with wing racks, a folding 6' table with my canopy all the way to the front of the bed. I can fit 3,1/4 scale Balsa USA WW I airplanes and all the needed flight gear and small baggage into the back. I travel to as many Dawn Patrol events around the country that I can up to a 1000 miles. It has serviced me well and it now has 98238 miles on it. The wife said I can buy a new truck when I want to, but I said this one will last another 5 years. If not I'll buy another F-150.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich

I suspect what he is seeing is a bunch of 4X4 for sale which drives the cost up and not 4X2 trucks which are less expensive and get better mileage. It seems like the idiots who really don't need a truck buy 4X4s and then they either decide they cost too much to run or get tired of the payments, etc and go back and to get a car or a SUV like they should have started with. When they do drive the truck they act like "I got a 4X4 so I can drive as fast as I want on snow and ice. If they don't wreck it they cause everyone else to wreck. I remember my old HS buddy Tom he was a heck of an off roader. He could go places with a 2 wheel drive pickup the 4X4 couldn't or wouldn't go. He just loved coming up on a 4X4 with the giant offroad tires buried in the mud hopelessly stuck. He would come up close go around them, back up to them get out look and say "Boy, you sure buried that sucker!" get back in and drive off like he was on paved road. He could be a real a-hole to the knuckleheads and loved every minute of it!

Face it they guys that buy a pickup to work out of or work on the farm/ranch they get what they need not what the sales people talk them into. The drive said truck, work on said truck,take care of the truck because they make their living with it. They keep the same truck forever until it can't be fixed or they give it to one of their kids or grandkids as a first 'car".

acdii 01-12-2017 12:58 PM

Yep, 4x4. All the trucks on the lots are 4x4, even the Superduties.

Well, got the word, its totaled, and I swear he enjoyed kicking me in the balls too. $25K is all they are giving. I cannot BUY a replacement for that. They are all over $32K for similar trucks, not 4x4, those are 4K more! Thanks god for GAP, that will cover the 19K I will still owe on it. I only had it 19 months out of the 75 to pay.

Now comes the kick in the nuts part. They are only paying for 5 days rental at $30 a day and for what I can drive, I have to pay $30 out of my own pocket to cover it. So just 5 days, I get to pay half, then is $60 a day until I can find a replacement.

I am so screwed on this it is not funny. and because it is a no fault crash, I got nothing to go on.

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 01:19 PM

Wait until you see the rental! My son got hit by a State farm customer's kid on his cellphone so they had to pay up. They rented him a "comparable" car to his Nissan Titan pickup. The "comparable" car turned out to be a Chevy Cruse! If they are going to drink like that they could at least share!

harcosparky 01-12-2017 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12295461)

Well, got the word, its totaled, and I swear he enjoyed kicking me in the balls too. $25K is all they are giving. I cannot BUY a replacement for that. They are all over $32K for similar trucks, not 4x4, those are 4K more! Thanks god for GAP, that will cover the 19K I will still owe on it. I only had it 19 months out of the 75 to pay.

DISCLAIMER: Some of what I am about to tell you could be different for you than me, because we are in different states.

As for their valuation on what they are going to pay, you do have the right to question that ..... how did they come to that figure? Then you can fight their valuation, I believe if you contact three dealers and get "quotes" on the selling price, if all three are over 25k then you have a valid argument.

If I am not mistake, GAP is only going to cover any negative equity.

If you owe 19K and they pay you 25K then there is no negative equity, the loan will be paid off out of the 25K leaving you with 6K towards the next vehicle.

At least that is how it was explained to me by a selling dealer ....... but then I threw a big enough down payment on the table so there would be no negative equity.

FlyerInOKC 01-12-2017 02:02 PM

The fair value can also vary by insurance company, I will never use Shelter Insuranvce again after having an auto claim with them.

flyboy2610 01-12-2017 03:29 PM

We are supposed to have a pretty massive winter storm come through here Sunday afternoon through Monday evening. Right now they aren't talking a lot of snow, but it could be a LOT of freezing rain and ice. I can handle snow, but I hate ice with a passion. If it gets as bad as they say it might, I'll just call in to work and tell them "Nope. Ain't gonna do it!" I'll get half an attendance point, unless 1/3 of the plant does the same, then it's nothing. 8 points in one years time and you're gone. I might have 1 or 2, so I'm not worried.