RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   old timers look here must be 50+ years only (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html)

FlyerInOKC 12-03-2019 08:33 PM

OK have you guys recovered from your Turkey hangovers yet? Its too quiet around here!

Telemaster Sales UK 12-03-2019 09:39 PM

It's forecast to be a heady 10C (50F) here today with light winds. I'm going flying!

FlyerInOKC 12-04-2019 05:54 AM

Have fun we wish we were there with you!

acdii 12-04-2019 06:05 AM

Sniffin dope still. My fuse is coming along nicely, had to mix my own Pensacola gray since I could find no reference of it, so got it as close to the photo as I could. Having issues with the wings and pinholes though which is driving me nuts.

FlyerInOKC 12-04-2019 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12567950)
Sniffin dope still. My fuse is coming along nicely, had to mix my own Pensacola gray since I could find no reference of it, so got it as close to the photo as I could. Having issues with the wings and pinholes though which is driving me nuts.

Sitting in the closet sniffing the dope bottle again, aye?! Is there any project that doesn't suffer from pinholes?

acdii 12-04-2019 07:15 AM

Well if you consider a 20 x 24 workshop a closet, then by all means, yes! :) I must not have put enough nitrate on as the base, the Rand-o-fill isn't covering them up. Have to sand off what I can and try again. They are only on the solid panels too, all the open webs filled nicely.

FlyerInOKC 12-04-2019 07:35 AM

A friend of mine worked on a painting crew for new construction. Back then when they were spraying lacquer the fumes would fill the house and get quite intense. The crew would tease the boss about sitting in the closet with a brush full of lacquer sniffing it. Your comments reminded me of the story. ;)

acdii 12-04-2019 07:51 AM

The good news is that it only takes about 90 seconds to evacuate the fumes with the laser extractor. I just open the lid, turn the blower on, and walk up the stairs and open door to the garage for a minute. If I don't open the door to the garage though it will pull from the fireplaces. Makes it drafty because it goes from the den, down the stairs, through the basement and into my shop at the other end of the house.

FlyerInOKC 12-04-2019 08:29 AM

That is great air volume on the laser extractor! Is there any danger in the dope coating the inside of the laser cutting chamber?

acdii 12-04-2019 08:39 AM

No, since it is just the smell, no overspray since I am brushing it. My only real concern is flammability of the fumes, thankfully it has an enclosed motor, so no sparks when starting up.

Telemaster Sales UK 12-05-2019 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12567947)
Have fun we wish we were there with you!

Some claim that winter starts on 1st December, others that it starts on 21st December, the shortest day, in the Northern Hemisphere. Whatever the case, I flew my Senior Telemaster yesterday, it was cold but calm, bright and sunny. It's only really suitable for flying big circuits and horizontal eights but I did chuck in a loop at the end of the day.

I really need to strip off all of the covering over the winter, to reinforce the fuselage structure, it's a bit wobbly as things are and recover her. She is twelve years old after all.

I also found out yesterday from the organisers of La Coupe Des Barons that they are reinstationg the Chasse Renard for the 2020 event. This is the round where a trainer flies around slowly pulling a long crepe paper streamer. Competitors have to try to cut or at least touch the streamer with their models. Deep Joy!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2115afc890.jpg
Senior Telemaster. Thunder Tiger 91 FS up. Note Barn Door Ailerons and flaps.

FlyerInOKC 12-05-2019 05:43 AM

The Senior sure looks good in flight!

Telemaster Sales UK 12-06-2019 11:45 PM

Two of the biggest social events during the French winter are the Telethon and the Tartiflette evenings.

The Telethon is a national event aimed at raising money for charities which work with people with a disability and the Tartiflette evening, usually held in February, raises funds for children's charities.

Three local villages combined their efforts and everybody paid 10€ (£8.84 or $11.05 US) to get in which paid for a four course meal: onion soup; Boeuf Bourguignon; cheese; desert and coffee. Eight of the model aeroplane club put in an appearence including our oldest member Francois in his wheelchair because he has broken a tendon in his foot! Bottles of wine were on sale, marked up 20% but it was all in a good cause. Music was provided by a disco for the dancing.

A lady came round with a board marked out in 100 numbered squares. People chose a square and numbers were drawn towards the end of the evening. I looked for a significant number and saw that the number 3 was available. As this is my house number I chose it. Just as I was about to leave I heard them calling for "Daveed" over the PA but as there were two or three hundred people in the room I assumed that they must have wanted somebody else, until I heard the word "pilote" over the background hubhub, then I knew that they wanted me. Turned out that I'd won the foreleg of a deer! I'll keep it in the freezer until we have one of our model aeroplane club beanos.

Incidentally a tartiflette is a traditional French peasant dish made from potatoes, onions and bacon covered in a cheese source so we know in advance what the menu will be! The food was prepared and served by volunteer labour, indeed the whole organisation was carried out by volunteers. Very impressive.

My life is one heady social whirl this weekend, Telethon last night, annual dinner of the classic car club tonight and Full English Breakfast on Sunday morning! Good job I get four pension payments in December! :o

I'll go on a diet on Monday!

FlyerInOKC 12-07-2019 06:01 AM

Ah! The trials and tribulations of an Englishman living in France are never ending! ;) I would end up weighing a ton by New Years Day :o

flyboy2610 12-07-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12568476)
Ah! The trials and tribulations of an Englishman living in France are never ending! ;) I would end up weighing a ton by New Years Day :o

It's not what we eat between Thanksgiving and New Year's that makes us fat. It's what we eat between New Year's and Thanksgiving!

RyanNX211 12-07-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12452833)
My Big Guff short-kit, referred to in Post 6128 is on its way!

I have admired the Big Guff for decades. Designed by Dr Walt Good, who designed several early r/c designs including the Rudderbug, it was one of the first models to win a competition for radio controlled models in the late Thirties. When I built my first r/c model, a Junior 60 in 1988, I was influenced in my choice after having read Peter Russell's "Vintage Model Aeroplanes." No ARTFs then, you had to build your own models and Peter Russell was a regular columnist in the best-selling British magazine, "Radio Controlled Models and Electronics" or RCM&E for short! In his book Mr Russell is effusive in his praise of the flying qualities of the Big Guff so I have finally put my money where my mouth has been for a long time and ordered a short-kit from Laser Design Services. http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=400 Apparently the proprietor has sold another five short kits of the Big Guff so I am now a member of quite an exclusive little club. I plan to cover it in Solartex and to power it by a Laser 70. I have a Laser 80 sculling about doing nothing too. I could fit that, and being much heavier than the 70, it would help with c/g problems which are encountered with such short-nosed designs. However, a Laser 80 would seriously over-power the model especially when you consider that Peter Russell's Big Guff was quite adequately powered by an early open rocker OS 60FS.

I have tracked the kit from Texas to Chicago to Charles De Gaulle airport so it should be delivered within the next few days. I'm feeling quite excited about it and I'd better withdraw some cash to pay for the Value Added Tax and any Import Duties! Picture of Peter Russell's Big Guff below, Walt Good's original was orange all over and it is exhibited in the Smithsonian Museum.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...acd1b80c97.jpg

There is a much better plan for the R/C Guff that appears in a construction article that ran in Model Builder. I wish LDS used that plan.

Telemaster Sales UK 12-07-2019 10:27 PM

Yes Ryan the plan is a weak point of this kit. It's obviously a photocopy of a photocopy and the lines are so thick that you have to use your imagination and experience when building the model. Furthermore the plan view of the fuselage was so distorted that I was building bananas until I drew two straight lines and built to that. I wish that I had known of the existence of a better plan but I've already built the fuselage and tail surfaces so I'll continue with the plan I've got. Fortunately the distance between all of the wing ribs is noted on the plan so it should be possible to buld the wing by marking the spars at the appropriate positions.

Are you building one yourself Ryan? I think I'm going to finish mine in red overall because I have plenty of red Solartex in stock and I was always brought up to be cautious with money! Vintage Orange Solartex is still available but at £58.50 for five metres (69.49€ or $76.85 US) plus postage, I think I'll go with red. Mr Russell didn't finish his model in orange so a precedent has already been set.

Some pictures below to show you the problems and progress.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0107c86c51.jpg
The plan is distorted. The blue Biro line to the right of the starboard longeron and to the left of the port longeron illustrate the true line. Likewise the one-metre rule.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...991d986bf0.jpg
Bananas anyone?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9e65f77540.jpg
Fuselage now trued up and top sheeting added. Note Sharkface fuselage alongside.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9dcc7b2f61.jpg
The basic structure of the fuselage, fin and tailplane is complete. The rudder requires a few more refinements and I have moved the elevator pivot 1" (2.5 cms) further forward to obtain a larger and more effective elevator. I still need to build the elevator. A one-metre rule is included in the picture to give an idea of the size of the model.

ETpilot 12-08-2019 05:07 AM

Telemaster your Big Guff is looking real good. Should be beautiful when finished.

Thanks for that picture which includes the one-metre rule. I scratch build and draw my lines in mm. I’ve been limited to using 12 inch and I believe 18 inch rules that have mm measurements. All my yard sticks are in inches. I never have thought to check if longer rules came in inches and mm. After I saw your picture I did a search and, sure enough, found longer rules in both inches and mm. I’m ordering one from Amazon. Should make things easier for me. Thanks.

RyanNX211 12-08-2019 05:14 AM

I should really contact LDS about the plan. It is true to the original in dimensions but has been updated with some construction techniques we take for granted now. E.g: top & bottom spars with webbing. I think he might be interested. I have a Shereshaw Nimbus that was built from period plans. He kits one from an updated plan that even incorporates a crutch for the fuselage.
No, I have no immediate plans to build an R/C Guff, although I'd like to build the 6ft Guff. Even there, there are some plans you should steer clear of.

Thermals, Tom
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...00d93e2c63.jpg

PS: while I may be among the youngest posters on this forum, I'm still too old to have been named Ryan

Telemaster Sales UK 12-08-2019 08:50 AM

I have mentioned the plan problems to LDS Tom, as for the Guff, the Big Guff's little free flight brother, it is said to fly well as an r/c model too..

Telemaster Sales UK 12-10-2019 12:23 AM

The Few Are One Fewer.

Battle of Britain pilot Maurice Mounsdon has died at the age of 101. There are only three left now. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50710808...C8KPVhLWyMYqVw

FlyerInOKC 12-10-2019 05:42 AM

Maurice has gone to join his squadron in the next life, fly high Maurice for you have earned your rest!

Telemaster Sales UK 12-10-2019 10:16 PM

I put the self same post on a British Aeromodelling website and received the following in reply:

David,

This came as quite a shock. Maurice was my godfather and somehow, and I don't know how, my family lost contact. The photos are quite unmistakably of him although my memories are from a long time back. I remember him as a quiet reserved man but with a warn smile and clearly something very special going on inside. He must also have had considerable patience with the demands I surely would have made of him as a small and boisterous child.

It is extraordinary that I did not know about his wartime experiences and plight but this seems to be a resounding feature of these brave people who simply saw it as their duty. Youngsters themselves drawn into the most horrific of circumstances in all ranks in all forces. I am sad but hope that he enjoyed his long life.

As it happens, my other godfather was a pilot too but after the war. He died about 10 years ago but as a test pilot mainly involved on the English Electric Lightning that required a certain type of courage also.

I am humbled by these people and will reflect while I putting together my next model aircraft.

Bye Bye Maurice from Tim.

FlyerInOKC 12-11-2019 05:51 AM

Which British Aeromodelling website were you on?

Telemaster Sales UK 12-11-2019 06:04 AM

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/