RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Weight of Tiger 60 kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11611424-weight-tiger-60-kit.html)

JollyPopper 01-02-2015 05:01 PM

Weight of Tiger 60 kit

Does anyone out there know the weight of a Tiger 60 kit in its box? I am in a discussion with a gentleman who wants $30.00 to ship the kit. I am of the opinion that it can be shipped for under $20.00. But I don't have a kit to weigh so I don't know for sure. I would appreciate knowing the actual weight.

tailskid 01-02-2015 05:23 PM

Weight is NOT the problem....it is box size and with those dimensions, UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. automatically configure a weight. The box measures 57" x 5" x 8"....I would toss a guess that it shouldn't weigh more than 10 lbs....of course mine is a storage container for pushrods, metal landing gears and a few broken motor mounts :)

Hopes this helps.....

JollyPopper 01-02-2015 05:38 PM

I understand. There are two reasons that I am questioning his price. One is that I just received (shipped 12-3-14) an ARF shipped from California to Arkansas. The box measured 47 x 13 x 8 and the cost to ship was $17.00. Two is that I looked at a bunch of similar size kits on Ebay and the most common shipping price is from $10.00 to $15.00. I realize these two observations don't mean a hill of beans, but I just don't think it takes $30.00 to ship that kit. I may be wrong.

JollyPopper 01-02-2015 05:40 PM

Oh, forgot to mention that he insists this kit weighs 15 pounds and he implores (his word) me to ship 15 pounds for less than $30.00. He never mentions dimensions at all.

tailskid 01-02-2015 05:58 PM

Some companies can ship a box for say $20, the same box, same distance from another company may be $10...I'm sure Tower and Horizon can ship a box a lot cheaper than you or I could.....on another note....15 lbs? Is it double boxed with HEAVY cardboard? I sometimes go to furniture stores to get boxes to ship kits...and those are some heavy boxes let me tell you! Good luck with him, I hope you get the kit as it is one great flying bird!!!!

JollyPopper 01-02-2015 06:18 PM

I won't get this kit at this point. He keeps telling me not to question him, that he KNOWS what he is talking about and for me not to even contact him again because I had the audacity to ask if he would be willing to charge actual shipping. This is an Ebay ad and in one part of the ad he describes it as a Seagull Yak 54. Maybe that is what he is talking about when it comes to weight, I just like to know for sure what I am talking about when I argue with someone. I don't normally do that. And the few times that I will do it, I certainly want to be correct. I have an abject fear of opening my mouth and being wrong.

ira d 01-02-2015 07:38 PM

It depends on what place he is using to ship from, Some of the mailbox stores charge more than if you went to USPS or directly to Fedex or UPS. Also as has already been
said it depends on how he is boxing it.

IMO if everything else about the deal looked good I would not let ten bucks derail the deal.

CafeenMan 01-03-2015 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by JollyPopper (Post 11953211)
I understand. There are two reasons that I am questioning his price. One is that I just received (shipped 12-3-14) an ARF shipped from California to Arkansas. The box measured 47 x 13 x 8 and the cost to ship was $17.00. Two is that I looked at a bunch of similar size kits on Ebay and the most common shipping price is from $10.00 to $15.00. I realize these two observations don't mean a hill of beans, but I just don't think it takes $30.00 to ship that kit. I may be wrong.

When I get a box from a big company it says $12 on it. If I try to send it back it costs $75.00. They have a contract with the shippers I don't have so they can send me a huge ARF for a price that I can't even begin to get the same shipping price.

I remember doing a custom build once and calling UPS with the exact dimensions of a crate and the exact weight. They gave me a price on the phone that I gave to the customer. I made the mistake of not getting a name of the person I talked to.

When I went to the local UPS they charged me three times what I was quoted and basically said too bad about what I was quoted on the phone. And it was totally based on the dimensions.

During the phone call I said over and over again, 'Are you sure about this price? It's a big crate? I know you measure these things and these are the exact dimensions."

"Yes sir, I'm sure... blah, blah..."

'OK.'

Right.

hook57 01-03-2015 07:39 AM

I have a CG Skylane 62 and a Sig Smith Mini wrapped and ready, USPS quotes were both $38 to ship and UPS was $18. A bit of a difference. I just shipped a Fut Tx in its box, UPS Store quote was $19, actual cost was $24. It does seem to vary a bit once you get the item to the counter. I do have a CG Tiger 60 also JP, the horizontal and vertical stabs were started, not sure if you're still interested in a T60.
hook

rgburrill 01-03-2015 08:59 AM

If you agreed to buy the thing on ebay and included paying for shipping you are kind of stuck. Many people hike up the "shipping" charge to make an extra buck. It pays tog et that figured out ahead of time.

rgburrill 01-03-2015 09:03 AM

The Towerhobbies shipping calculator says $27.

drac1 01-03-2015 04:55 PM

A lot of guys will advertise a slightly lesser price on the item they are selling and put extra on the shipping to make up the difference. But he may have had to buy a box to ship it in as well?

Whatever the reason, if you don't like the shipping charge, then don't buy it. Easy.

tailskid 01-03-2015 05:47 PM

I saw one ARF on Ebay that wanted $109.00 for shipping!!!! And that was NIB....guess who didn't buy that one!

drac1 01-03-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by tailskid (Post 11953928)
I saw one ARF on Ebay that wanted $109.00 for shipping!!!! And that was NIB....guess who didn't buy that one!

:cool:..

vertical grimmace 01-03-2015 07:36 PM

Look how much they charge to ship an ESM arf from VQ warbirds or Troy built models. $30 is no biggie really.