RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Bought my lifetime AMA membership today (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11620145-bought-my-lifetime-ama-membership-today.html)

Rv7garage 07-29-2015 05:28 AM

Bought my lifetime AMA membership today
 
I figure I will get my ROI in 20 years or so :-)

bolar 08-03-2015 09:15 AM

Wait until you get your next Model Aviation. It will have an expiration date on it. It's kind of strange, like looking at your own tomb stone.

TomCrump 08-05-2015 03:42 AM


Originally Posted by Rv7garage (Post 12077000)
I figure I will get my ROI in 20 years or so :-)


Congrats. If I'm considering it, myself.

Jennifer Curtis 08-05-2015 06:05 AM

Remember the Sport Flyers Association, or
the IMAA. How many years for ROI on their
lifetime memberships?

Jenny

PLANE JIM 08-05-2015 07:08 AM

I am concerned about the ROI on the AMA these days-spending millions and have declining membership.

porcia83 08-05-2015 09:33 AM

I don't look at a membership as being an "investment" per se. I doubt the AMA is going anywhere though, what else would take it's place?

OP congrats on your membership!

Jennifer Curtis 08-05-2015 10:01 AM

The existence of the AMA is not required. Nothing
would be required to take its place. If the leaders
of the AMA don't respond to the members needs,
people will not join or renew. From there it is
downhill and then gone. The AMA could also
be sued, mismanaged or embezzled out of existence.

Jenny

porcia83 08-05-2015 10:31 AM

Sure...anything is possible...the question is what is probable.

Jennifer Curtis 08-05-2015 11:01 AM

What is probable:

More and more drones and park flyers will fill
the air. Their owners will fly an non-club locations,
and see AMA as unimportant. The FAA will see
AMA as an ineffective "community based organization,"
and assume authority over models. AMA will
continue to exist as a club for old fogies to
sit around and complain.

Jenny

PLANE JIM 08-05-2015 11:20 AM

Jenny-I thought the FAA did have authority over models and not the AMA-

scale only 4 me 08-05-2015 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well that went down hill fast

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2112973

porcia83 08-05-2015 12:11 PM

Yup....sure enough. Don't know how people go about with the doom and gloom all day. It's got to be tiring.

scale only 4 me 08-05-2015 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by Rv7garage (Post 12077000)
I figure I will get my ROI in 20 years or so :-)

BTW,
Congratulations,, don't let the buzz killlers get ya down

Rv7garage 08-05-2015 06:14 PM

Not gonna. I love this site, where almost ANY topic can cause the sky to fall!! :D

foodstick 08-05-2015 06:28 PM

I am still kicking my butt for not buying the lifetime when I first signed up... it was $300 then.. :(

rich6170 08-05-2015 06:33 PM

Congratz!
I have been a "Gold card " holder for the last 6 years and find it is a lot easier on the stress level. I don't have to be concerned with when my current year expires and neither does the club secretary. I also don't have to save up my pennies and try to figure out when I am supposed to pay for the membership. I also don't worry about raises in the dues at all. I get the mag in the mail each month and even though I don't really agree with the subject each month I do find something in each copy that I can call interesting. It really is worth it. Even if I only last a few more years it is worth it to me to not have to stress over it at all. The membership and its benefits are there and paid for.

franklin_m 08-06-2015 04:12 AM


Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12080410)
What is probable:

More and more drones and park flyers will fill
the air. Their owners will fly an non-club locations,
and see AMA as unimportant. The FAA will see
AMA as an ineffective "community based organization,"
and assume authority over models. AMA will
continue to exist as a club for old fogies to
sit around and complain.

Jenny

Jenny, I think you're pretty close to the mark. Demographics alone are a big challenge for AMA. They gave away a bunch of free memberships to kids, but it remains to be seen how many of those turn into paid memberships. I haven't flown at a club field in over a year. Why? Just way too easy to complete the transition to electric (quiet), fly a slightly smaller plane, and do it 200 yards from my house in a park or at the nearby school rather than drive 13 miles one way to fly off a rough grass field - where I have to pay $100 more to be a member of the club! It gets even easier if you fly helicopters and quads. As a homeowner, the insurance isn't much help there either.

GerKonig 08-06-2015 04:15 AM


Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12080410)
What is probable:

More and more drones and park flyers will fill
the air. Their owners will fly an non-club locations,
and see AMA as unimportant. The FAA will see
AMA as an ineffective "community based organization,"
and assume authority over models. AMA will
continue to exist as a club for old fogies to
sit around and complain.

Jenny

Thank you, even with your, well, own point of view admit the AMA will continue to exist...

Gerry

GerKonig 08-06-2015 04:18 AM


Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12080735)
Jenny, I think you're pretty close to the mark. Demographics alone are a big challenge for AMA. They gave away a bunch of free memberships to kids, but it remains to be seen how many of those turn into paid memberships. I haven't flown at a club field in over a year. Why? Just way too easy to complete the transition to electric (quiet), fly a slightly smaller plane, and do it 200 yards from my house in a park or at the nearby school rather than drive 13 miles one way to fly off a rough grass field - where I have to pay $100 more to be a member of the club! It gets even easier if you fly helicopters and quads. As a homeowner, the insurance isn't much help there either.

Well, of course, yours is one case, but gas models sell well, and while nitro is pretty much shrinking daily, they still have a presence. So, no, I do not believe that the AMA is going anywhere.

Gerry

scale only 4 me 08-06-2015 04:46 AM

Being a Club member isn't 100% about flying either,, I can fly "Free" in many places too,, it's about hanging out with friends with like interests and the love of aviation, I don't see that going away soon either.

porcia83 08-06-2015 05:20 AM


Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12080735)
Jenny, I think you're pretty close to the mark. Demographics alone are a big challenge for AMA. They gave away a bunch of free memberships to kids, but it remains to be seen how many of those turn into paid memberships. I haven't flown at a club field in over a year. Why? Just way too easy to complete the transition to electric (quiet), fly a slightly smaller plane, and do it 200 yards from my house in a park or at the nearby school rather than drive 13 miles one way to fly off a rough grass field - where I have to pay $100 more to be a member of the club! It gets even easier if you fly helicopters and quads. As a homeowner, the insurance isn't much help there either.

Hmm...and yet membership grew, do you attribute all of that growth to free kiddy memberships...or to actual organic growth? Good for you on switching to the delights of silent flight! That's one of the biggest shifts in the hobby over the past few years, certainly made it more affordable and user friendly for lots of people.

You should go back to flying at your field, yap it up with your fellow fliers, it might brighten your disposition on the hobby! :)

Did you go over the financials yet, looks like they were just posted up?

Jennifer Curtis 08-06-2015 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=porcia83;12080757]
You should go back to flying at your field, yap it up with your fellow fliers, it might brighten your disposition on the hobby! :)
QUOTE]

Nah. I hardly ever go to the field. It is too
depressing. Mostly a bunch of old geezers
whining about their medicare coverage,
and how much they hate drones.

Jenny

porcia83 08-06-2015 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Jennifer Curtis;12080874]

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12080757)
You should go back to flying at your field, yap it up with your fellow fliers, it might brighten your disposition on the hobby! :)
QUOTE]

Nah. I hardly ever go to the field. It is too
depressing. Mostly a bunch of old geezers
whining about their medicare coverage,
and how much they hate drones.

Jenny

I suspect that happens at many many clubs! Don't forget the complaints about helis and 3D fliers, ARF's...foamies etc etc.

We try to avoid religion and politics...it's like a Hobby King thread, those discussions never end well!. :)

scale only 4 me 08-06-2015 09:16 AM


Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12080874)

Nah. I hardly ever go to the field. It is too
depressing. Mostly a bunch of old geezers
whining about their medicare coverage,
and how much they hate drones.

Jenny

I used to have that same crappy attitude towards some of the older "club" guys,, I guess now I'm one of them. Lucky for me I learned to ignore the negative guys and hang with the guys that I could learn from.

It is what you make of it,, Showing up with a bad attitude,, well, ya get what ya give

dbacque 08-06-2015 03:45 PM

Me too. I've been putting it off for years. I don't know why, I've been active in the hobby since the 60's. Yeah, I might get ROI, I might not. But how nice to know that I'm a lifetime member no matter what comes. I guarantee you that if I can walk and talk, I'll still be flying model airplanes.

I'm finally a lifetime member.

Dave

SGibson 08-06-2015 05:00 PM

How much does a life time membership cost?

Rv7garage 08-06-2015 05:24 PM

$1500

...or viewed another way, about as much as a good-quality kit with all the electronics and motor. :)

I've actually thought about it for several years, but now they allow you to make 4 payments of $375.00 ... that made it an easy decision.

Hinckley Bill 08-07-2015 02:23 AM

After careful consideration I jumped in and got the L in front of my AMA number today.......:o

At the same time I enrolled my new, 6 week old, granddaughter in as a Junior Member......she joins her 3 year old cousin, my grandson, who I also enrolled as a Junior member last year.

I hope I'm around long enough to get them both interested in the hobby.....them flying long after I'm gone would be a great way to give back to the hobby.


Bill

AMA L71190

Rv7garage 08-07-2015 03:47 AM

Excellent- congrats, Bill!

porcia83 08-07-2015 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill (Post 12081138)
After careful consideration I jumped in and got the L in front of my AMA number today.......:o

At the same time I enrolled my new, 6 week old, granddaughter in as a Junior Member......she joins her 3 year old cousin, my grandson, who I also enrolled as a Junior member last year.

I hope I'm around long enough to get them both interested in the hobby.....them flying long after I'm gone would be a great way to give back to the hobby.


Bill

AMA L71190

Congrats...it's important to get youth involved in this hobby, nobody better than family to help do that!

rcmiket 08-12-2015 05:20 AM


Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12080297)
Remember the Sport Flyers Association, or
the IMAA. How many years for ROI on their
lifetime memberships?

Jenny

Could happen to the AMA. At this point I'm not sure they actually know what they are doing or where we are going as a organization.

Mike

porcia83 08-12-2015 11:08 AM

Sure, and the sky could fall on us tomorrow too, after all it seems like that's right around the corner, right after the failure of the AMA . LOL...too funny. Been around since '36...growing ..., but sure, they don't know what they are doing. Because there are loads of other people out there who know exactly what to do. Right. The AMA ain't goin anywhere, and the ship has sailed on excluding or what some wanted of course, a BAN on quads.

I know it's easier to lament what has passed and find the bad in everything, but it's wasted energy at this point. Make the best of it, and the hobby.

rcmiket 08-12-2015 05:03 PM


Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12083479)
Sure, and the sky could fall on us tomorrow too, after all it seems like that's right around the corner, right after the failure of the AMA . LOL...too funny. Been around since '36...growing ..., but sure, they don't know what they are doing. Because there are loads of other people out there who know exactly what to do. Right. The AMA ain't goin anywhere, and the ship has sailed on excluding or what some wanted of course, a BAN on quads.

I know it's easier to lament what has passed and find the bad in everything, but it's wasted energy at this point. Make the best of it, and the hobby.

Yes sir anything can happen.Can I borrow your rose colored glasses?

Mike

porcia83 08-13-2015 02:42 AM

Sure, if you let me borrow this?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...J8TQNjBmqhuxNQ

:)

Rv7garage 08-16-2015 11:57 AM

^ hahahahaha! That's nice work :D Just don't microwave it... ��

porcia83 08-16-2015 12:41 PM

or chew on it....ouch! :p

on_your_six 08-17-2015 01:11 PM

Sorry, $1,500 is too steep of a ride for me... 20years to payoff? Of course sooner when the rates go up. I would rather pay year by year because you never know. I have seen a lot of businesses come and go.

Rv7garage 08-24-2015 06:03 PM

Well it's not really something I did for ROI, I was really just laughing at myself. But I hope for at least another 30 years of flying, and now I don't have to ever think about renewing- it's bought and paid for. I have more than that plowed into any one of my actual models, and let's not even discuss guitars, tube amps, a 2015 H-D Street Glide, etc. It's nice to have a budget, lol ;)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.