RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Copying plans from a kit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11621199-copying-plans-kit.html)

KC Air 08-29-2015 09:58 AM

Copying plans from a kit?

I posted on someone's thread that I was going to build a certain plane from a kit in the upcoming build season. The OP sent me a message and asked me to make him a copy of the plans from my kit. I ignored the request, which I considered a kind response to that question. He then deleted my post from his thread.

Is it common practice to copy plans from a kit and give them to someone else? :confused:

jollyroger 08-29-2015 12:40 PM

I don't know what you mean by common practice, I don't see it too often that I'm aware of. However it is not illegal to do so. I've run some larger scale plans through a copier that was capable of doing so without being concerned. IN fact if you buy a set of plans you will have to make copies for cutting parts. If you copy then sell them outright to others especially online, you may be in for some trouble, especially from major plans makers such as Ziroli, Hostetler, etc. Kit manufacturers might also get a bit uptight.
As long as you do it for a friend or even for yourself as you may want to have an extra set in case you have an unexpected landing, there should be no problem. I keep all my plans for future use anyway.
So if someone asks to make a copy of a set of plans as a favor you shouldn't have to worry about getting into trouble.

rustyrivet 08-29-2015 02:32 PM

Unless the copyright has expired and it's now public domain, you cannot provide copies of plans for anybody else. If it's still under copyright protections, then you can only copy it for your own use, but NOT distribute it. (I'm not an attorney, and even "for my own use" has been debated) It's no different when copying registered photos or copying music. When I use to go to Kinkos to make up plan copies for my own use, they would find the copyright info printed on it, and then refused to print it. That ought to tell you something. Proceeed at your own risk.

KC Air 08-29-2015 03:00 PM

Rustyrivet.. that is more in line with my thoughts on the subject. The plans are intellectual property with commercial value. I have no interest in making trouble for anyone, I only choose for me

rccrazedman 08-29-2015 04:42 PM

someone has done it for me once. But then again the plan was an old model that you no longer can even find the kit. I was under the impression that you can give it to a friend or someone as long as you are not selling it or making any money from it. I also have made copies of plans several times for my own personal use and never had anyone refuse to copy it for me ie big name print copier service.

DGrant 08-29-2015 04:50 PM

One can copy them and give them away. It's illegal to copy and sell for profit... but once someone obtains a kit, they can reproduce for their own purpose, to and include giving to friends.

Go to a Kinko's, or any print-shop that does large format scanning and printing.... You can get them in any format you like I'm sure. Digital, or full-size output. I work in a print-shop, I've scanned several plans... never sold any,.. given several away.... never had any problem.

What plane are we talking about? There's a pretty good chance plans are already available in some format.

KW_Counter 08-31-2015 04:27 AM

DGrant,
Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean it is alright.
I am not a lawyer but copying plans and giving them away is, I believe, illegal.
Look at the music and video industry.
Copying and distributing music for free is a crime there, why would plans be any different?
Just my thoughts,
KW_Counter

Bax 08-31-2015 06:06 AM

Yes, you can copy for your personal and private use, but not to distribute. As noted above, you cannot copy music to distribute, even for free. Churches cannot copy a song to spread around the congregation so that they all have the words. They must either purchase individual copies or have purchased a license. Kit plans are no different; they are intellectual property and are protected by copyright law.

carlgrover 08-31-2015 09:26 AM

A little bit off the subject but there are a lot of kit plans that don't have all the parts shown on them so if you wanted to build another plane from those plans, it would be really difficult. However; a set of plans are an excellent reference if you have that plane.

carl

DGrant 09-01-2015 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by KW_Counter (Post 12092529)
DGrant,
Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean it is alright.
I am not a lawyer but copying plans and giving them away is, I believe, illegal.
Look at the music and video industry.
Copying and distributing music for free is a crime there, why would plans be any different?
Just my thoughts,
KW_Counter

Sounds like you probably shouldn't do it then... you have nothing to worry about. I've never had any problem... and I'm not worried either...Its all good.

Have you seen this site? http://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp

Alot of great plans ... free... check it out.

I pointed a question as to what plans we are talking about.... until we know what plans we're referring to... its all speculation... as the odds of them being free domain are somewhat high.

Mickydee1354 09-01-2015 10:53 PM

I think common sense should play a part here. Are we talking about a currently in production kit, or at least a kit where the plans are still commercially available? If that is the case, then copy all you want for you personal use, (if you purchased the kit/plans originally), but refer others to the original source.

Are we talking about a kit/plan that is no longer commercially available? If that is the case, my opinion would be there is nothing wrong with sharing the plan with others as long as you are not charging for it.

beepee 09-02-2015 08:45 AM

Charge or no charge is irrelevant. Commercially available or not is irrelevant. It is still a violation of copy right law.

Bedford

KC Air 09-02-2015 11:53 AM

I am not going to give specifics, except that it is a kit that is currently on the market by a major player. Of course I knew I could copy them from a set of purchased plans for my own use, that was never the intent of my question. The question was about copying them because someone wants to avoid paying for a kit that costs $100ish. It sounds like some people think that is ok. Clearly it is not. I will not do it, or ask anyone else to do it for me. If you want to do it, that's your business. I mind my own. :cool:

Joe Nagy 09-02-2015 04:38 PM

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the ever warm Valley of the Sun.

Speaking only for myself: whenever I build a kit, whether old or new, I always make a copy of the original plans and usually cut up as required and build from the copy, and save the original plan for my archives. I do this because I can; I still have original pans from the 40s, 50s and 60s, FF and CL that I built from , because copying same was unavailable at that time. I have to laff at same, as these old plans are all glue smeared, dripped on, full of pin holes and razor slices, and in many cases are scotch-taped together, anotherwords in real poor condition. I do enjoy looking at them every now and then to relive my misspent youth, alas, what can I say.

I see no harm in doing what I do. Once in along while, I will help a fellow modeller who needs a set of old plans, and copy same for him, + on occasion have requested same from others; helping one another is AOK in my books, I am certainly not trying to make money or a living at it.

Another side benefit, is looking through these older plans and reminissing, as I mentioned above. Again, just one old timer's opinion, been happily destroying balsa wood for almost 65 years, will close, best regards to all from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.

DavidAgar 09-02-2015 04:42 PM

If your kit is currently being sold, I would imagine that plans are available from the manufacture. Also a lot of the kit plans out there do not have all the parts shown to allow a scratch build. Most of them for one do not show all the wing ribs. Some of the kits that I have built, I have used the parts to make templates for future use. I do a lot of scratch building and when I get my plans, I always get them copied so I can use one set for templates. Don't know about the legality of it, but I have never had any problems getting them copied. I do not sell any of them and if a fellow modeler wanted a set, I would give them to them. Good Luck, Dave

Bax 09-09-2015 06:16 AM

Again, for personal, private use you can copy plans or parts thereof. You cannot copy for distribution without permission.