RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   RC flashlight needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11626948-rc-flashlight-needed.html)

Ouzel 02-22-2016 06:03 PM

RC flashlight needed

I want to radio control a flashlight to turn on and off. It will need to be inserted on/in a dog training dummy and thrown. I give the dog a directional signal via whistle and if he turns correct direction I turn on in the light in the dummy and he will retrieve it. Here are two short Youtube videos but they don't say how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMBcD8vAzs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7UK_ON2OLA

Can anyone help me with the logistics? Thanks!

Sport_Pilot 02-23-2016 05:04 AM

There are relays that plug into your receiver for this. Not sure where to buy them. Scale R/C guys use them to turn on lights and other accessories.

init4fun 02-23-2016 05:15 AM

You do present an interesting question , in that what your looking for is SO simple that I don't know if it exists in the model aircraft/model car RC world . Your looking for a "single channel" device with no proportional control , a simple on / off . With RC equipment each separate thing you want to control requires a channel , for a model plane it would be one for the elevator , one for the rudder , one for the ailerons , and so on . The most simplistic , toy like RC devices we have are 2 or 3 channel with of course the controls designed to be proportional movement of a rudder or elevator (or steering and forward/reverse in the case of RC cars) based on the movement of the TX's sticks . We do have available a relay based device that can be plugged into an unused channel (it's VERY common for our radios to have 7 or more channels) that can provide a switched set of contacts for landing lights or other powered accessories but you would still need a simple single channel transmitter and receiver to activate it . I believe by the time you price doing something so simple with RC parts of the sort you'd find in a dedicated RC venue such as this you'll find it cost prohibitive , and I wonder if a possible modification of one of those remote light switches of the sort the hardware stores sell might not be a cheaper alternative to using RC parts ? If not that , a possible modification of a "toy grade" RC would be your best bet , of course either of these options would require the services of someone well versed in the tinkerings of RC electronics .

As a last thought , if no one pops in here with a mission perfect device that I'm unaware of , you may hit up the Robot building forums , those guys with their electronic/RC knowledge are likely to know far more than I about how to adapt something to work for your project .

:cool: Good Luck with it ...

Sport_Pilot 02-23-2016 06:06 AM

There is or was a relay for retracts that would work. But now it is built into the servo. I think the scale sites would have something like this.

mscic-RCU 02-23-2016 06:09 AM

try this: http://www.kellanusa.com/index.php/p...wireless-light

init4fun 02-23-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12180856)
There is or was a relay for retracts that would work. But now it is built into the servo. I think the scale sites would have something like this.

:cool: If you ever need one for a project , the ones I use to control the lights on my night flyers are ;

"Dimension Engineering Pico Switch"

If you search that you will find that it's a cool little relay with both NO and NC contacts that is perfect for all kinds of RC switched power applications and can be had for the reasonable sum of $19.95 :D To source a relay , relay driver chip , and the few other SMT components (plus a tiny circuit board) I don't think I could build one for under $20 and these work fantastic .

Thing is , the OP would still need a TX/RX to activate the relay and of course the needed batteries and light in the training dummy , It's the TX/RX cost that I think will drive him away from using "hobby grade" gear rather than "toy grade" . Knowing the OP's working budget would help narrow the choices of available equipment ....

grotto2 02-23-2016 07:00 AM

How about something like THIS?

init4fun 02-23-2016 09:08 AM

:cool: Looks like Grotto found it !!!!

That should work perfectly for the OP's project , gotta love Ebay .....

Ouzel 02-23-2016 12:22 PM

You guys are awesome. I posted similarly on an electronics forum and got a response that said, "huh"!

Sorry to be so dumb (Im a doctor) but the 12v 10A relay Wireless RF seems like a lot of battery to me. Will a flashlight have enough juice to activate it or is there a need for an auxiliary? Weight's not a really big problem as the dog can pick up heavy stuff - but not a car battery.

Would the pico switch do better in that regard ( posted by Init4fun)? Does the battery in the flashlight provide the power to turn it on and off? Thanks again!

grotto2 02-23-2016 02:58 PM

The 10A rating is not the current draw of the receiver, but the rating of the contacts in the relay, so don't let that put you off.

You'll need a 12V battery (not very big, maybe 500mAh?) and a lamp that works on 12V. I imagine the clever use of PVC pipe and an automotive lamp will do the trick.

The battery capacity you'll need will be about (lamp current)x(hours of operation). This formula ignores the relay receiver current but will give you a rough idea of what mAh battery you'll need.

Jennifer Curtis 02-24-2016 08:59 AM

Four coin cells will give 12 volts
to run the receiver.

Eight AAA batteries will do it also,
with enough juice to run a decent
flashlight as well.

Jenny

TacticalKarma 12-22-2020 01:17 PM

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Yes, I wonder if I can try the . I bought two of them for camping, but I want to turn one into this engineering idea. I'm a dentist and I like to work with small things to train my fingers. Also, camping is a hobby apart. It fulfills me with a lot of energy. Especially, when I went with my friends, taking some beers and fishing near the lake.