RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   AMA's latest message - FAA model plane regulation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11631064-amas-latest-message-faa-model-plane-regulation.html)

GallopingGhostler 07-16-2016 02:41 AM

AMA's latest message - FAA model plane regulation

I just received the following by E-mail from AMA:

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication
Friday, July 15, 2016

Dear Members,

We are happy to announce big news related to FAA authorization. As of today, both the Senate and House of Representatives have passed a 14-month FAA extension, and the President has signed the bill into law.

We are very pleased that the FAA extension affirms our right to continue to fly within AMA's community-based safety program and free from additional government regulations. Congress continues to recognize the importance of AMA and our strong commitment to safety.

As you know, AMA aggressively engaged with Congress to achieve the best possible result for our members. It is through these advocacy efforts that we were able to achieve our goal of maintaining the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and protecting our hobby. This victory adds to AMA's history of successfully advocating for our members at the federal level, including with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Department of Commerce, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of the Interior, the U.S. Forrest Service, the Department of Homeland Security, the FAA and Congress.

There are two important things for all AMA members to know about the extension. The first, and most important for our hobby, is that the extension preserves the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act) through September 2017. And second, while this bill does not nullify FAA's requirement to register, we are pleased to share that the problematic language that existed in earlier FAA bills has been removed.

Our advocacy efforts are not over - we continue to work with the FAA on reducing the burden of the registration requirement on AMA members. And, over the next 14 months, we will continue to work with Congress on a long-term reauthorization bill that will further strengthen the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and advance other protections of our longstanding hobby.

We want to extend our appreciation to all of our members and donors for your support throughout this process.

Thank you,
AMA Government Affairs Team
I have not seen the verbiage of the bill, so I don't know what problematic language was removed. It did not remove FAA registration requirement. I am hoping that they clarified among other things, control line and free flight do not require registration.

porcia83 07-16-2016 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler (Post 12235369)

I have not seen the verbiage of the bill, so I don't know what problematic language was removed. It did not remove FAA registration requirement. I am hoping that they clarified among other things, control line and free flight do not require registration.

That issue has already been clarified, they do not require registration.

rcmiket 07-16-2016 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler (Post 12235369)

The legislative branch is gridlocked nothing more, politics as usual in DC. Once they pass it ( and they will) at that time and only at that time we'll see if we have grounds to celebrate.

Mike

Bob Pastorello 07-16-2016 03:26 PM

And second, while this bill does not nullify FAA's requirement to register, we are pleased to share that the problematic language that existed in earlier FAA bills has been removed.

Quote above is from the AMA email sent out. I think it means that this interim extension in fact does mean that FAA registration is still required.
Just like "complying with the "programming of a CBO" is also still required.

Thank god at least that the reg does not REQUIRE AMA membership..... that would be a governmental intrusion ripe for court challenge.

porcia83 07-16-2016 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12235402)
The legislative branch is gridlocked nothing more, politics as usual in DC. Once they pass it ( and they will) at that time and only at that time we'll see if we have grounds to celebrate.

Mike

Ominous...but as usual, time will tell.

porcia83 07-16-2016 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello (Post 12235511)
And second, while this bill does not nullify FAA's requirement to register, we are pleased to share that the problematic language that existed in earlier FAA bills has been removed.

Quote above is from the AMA email sent out. I think it means that this interim extension in fact does mean that FAA registration is still required.
Just like "complying with the "programming of a CBO" is also still required.

Thank god at least that the reg does not REQUIRE AMA membership..... that would be a governmental intrusion ripe for court challenge.

Registration is not going away, the FAA and AMA keep repeating that.

Also, the FAA will not name a specific CBO, ever. If they were going to do it, they would have done it already seeing as how there really is only one viable entity out there. Oh but it would be fun to see them do it, if for no other reason than to see a certain segment of folks go absolutely bonkers and lose their minds.....oh man I can't lie, it would be absolutely hilarious to see the comments after that happened. Every tin foil hat conspiracy foretold come to fruition! I could see the I TOLD YOU SO and I KNEW IT ALL ALONG already..probably in bold and blue or red font color too.

But alas...tis not to be.

Bob Pastorello 07-16-2016 03:39 PM

For the very first time I can remember, I agree with porcia83.
My god, I better just die....

porcia83 07-16-2016 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello (Post 12235516)
For the very first time I can remember, I agree with porcia83.
My god, I better just die....

Now now, we know you've agreed with more than me once, you just don't want to admit it. It will be our secret. But don't die just yet......to much flying to do. :)