RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   RC Fatality ??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/138709-rc-fatality.html)

Russ Verbael 05-20-2002 03:40 AM

RC Fatality ???

I just saw in the text leader on CNN that there was an RC-related fatality in the US during the last few hours. It was reported that a person was fatally hit in the chest by an RC aircraft.

Does anyone have any details??

LuvBipes 05-20-2002 03:54 AM

RC Fatality ???

Yes, it's true unfortunately. Here's what I found:
"I'm sad to report that a modeler was killed by his plane on Saturday in Tucson AZ.

The modeler, 60 year old Roger Wallace was flying Tower Hobbies ARF and lost sight of the model in the sun. Somehow the model impacted the Mr.
Wallace in the chest causing significant damage to his heart and a lung. He was alive when the paramedics arrived but the damage was too great
and he died at the scene.

This information came from the club president and AMA reps from the area.

Darwin N. Barrie
Phoenix AZ
AMA District X AVP"

Here's the text of the Associated Press Wire:

Model airplane kills man Tucson-AP) --
A 60-year-old Tucson man is dead after the radio-controlled plane
he was operating near the Pima County Fairgrounds crashed into his chest.

Roger Wallace was flying the six-pound plane with the Southern Arizona Modelers, a
radio-controlled airplane group he'd been involved with for three years.

Wallace was pronounced dead at the scene of the 9:30 a-m accident yesterday.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department say it appears the sunlight caused Wallace
to lose sight of his airplane, which had a wingspan of about five feet.

xp8103 05-20-2002 12:34 PM

RC Fatality ???

Incredibly unfortunate and extremely sad news to be sure. :(

Question: Will the public view R/C in a different light than they would have had this poor soul run into another flyer at the field rather than himself?
My guess? No. It will not be perceived that model airplanes are dangerous but that this was simply a most unfortunate accident (not unlike someone driving a snowmobile into a tree or climbing a hill on an ATV and flipping it with the same end result).
If the poor fellow had taken someone else out, while the plane was no more or less dangerous, it would be viewed MUCH differently. Interesting paradox.

mmorg1 05-20-2002 12:46 PM

RC Fatality ???

It is alwalys sad when someone loses their life. This unfortunate incident might educate the public on model aviation. We are not flying toys. Granted this is a great hobby, but it is inherently dangerous with gas, fuel, propellers, and 150mph aircraft. It is a hobby that does require training and instruction. But let us not forget that despite our best efforts accidents will happen. I did not know Mr. Wallace but Im sure he will be missed.....

Ptarmigan 05-20-2002 05:33 PM

RC Fatality ???

I heard about it. I would like to send my condolences to the family, I am very sorry to hear about the accident. We have all seen too many tragedies involving airplanes in recent memories. How often do accidents involve RC airplanes?

Chris 540 05-20-2002 09:05 PM

RC Fatality ???

Thats very sad!! :( Something that never crosses your mind at the field.......

BruceDana 05-20-2002 10:59 PM

RC Fatality ???

A link

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/local/5_20_02plane.html

A sad day today :(

AzRcpilot 05-21-2002 03:55 AM

RC Fatality ???

Go here
http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...824#post150824

Shari 09-11-2003 01:59 PM

RE: RC Fatality ???

I know this is an old post, but I had to write to all of you in an attempt to connect I guess. My father, Roger Wallace, was the modeler that was killed last year, flying his airplane. His flying club was very important to him. The members were his best friends. He died doing something that he loved, which gives me comfort. He used to always talk about what great people the modelers were and I've read a number of your posts and can see what he meant. Thank you for all the kind words and sympathy last year. It feels a little strange to have found this site now, but I do appreciate your expressions of condolences.
Sincerely, Shari Wallace

I Got Hit 09-11-2003 02:03 PM

Mr. Shari Wallace

My sincere sympathy. Very sorry for your loss.

Taildragger 09-11-2003 06:14 PM

DITTO!!!

Burrito Bandito 09-11-2003 06:32 PM

Ms. Wallace,

I remember reading this story and it saddened me again to see it. For a moment I thought it was recent, then I read your post and made the connection. Please accept my belated condolences to you and your family.

Now that you are here, please make yourself at home and perhaps learn more about the hobby your father loved so much. For the most part, we are a harmless bunch who really enjoy this great activity. But, watch out! You can get hooked very easily.

Very Best Regards,
John

GrnBrt 09-11-2003 06:41 PM

I also send my condolences and remember when it happened, now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your Father also at one time very big in the drag racing scene?? If it's the same I remember him well as I was racing in the 60's and your Father was not only darn good but a true gentleman and he will be missed very much. He now has blue skies, slight breeze and he never crashes his plane.

Shari 09-11-2003 06:50 PM

Dear Art, John, and Russ,
Thank you all so very much for the emails. They mean a lot. And in reply to your question Art, yes my father was a drag racer. He started racing cars at the age of 16 and I spent many, many weekends at the race tracks! It gave me a glow to know that you remember him....he was a gentleman in every sense of the word. In racing cars, flying model airplanes, in his business dealings and with all people, all the time. I miss him so much. Again, I thank you sincerely. Shari Wallace

JanetC 09-11-2003 08:22 PM

I am so sorry about your dad. I miss mine very much. Today would have been his birthday.Thanks for sharing your grief with us, Sincerely JanetC

Shari 09-11-2003 08:28 PM

Dear Janet,
The birthdays are hard aren't they? And the anniversary of their deaths....even days that aren't "special".....just the smell of Fall in the air recently has made my longing for my dad more acute. My dad was the best husband and father and friend and it's still hard for me to believe he's gone, let alone gone for over a year now.
My condolences to you as well. Thanks again. Shari Wallace

BasinBum 09-11-2003 09:01 PM

Shari,
My mom lives in Lyndhurst on Cedar rd. I assume you grew up in Cleveland and your dad moved to Tuscon. If that's the case I started RC at the old flying field on Richmond rd. in Beachwood and he probably flew there as well. I remember the TV commercials for Thompson Motor Speedway, SUNDAYS!

Shari 09-11-2003 09:09 PM

Wow it's a small world! I'm just a couple of streets off of Cedar!
I didn't grow up here though. I've lived here for 10 years. I grew up in Peoria, Illinois and later in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. My dad moved to Tucson in 1982. He continued to race cars out there until just a few years ago when he finally retired. He took up flying model airplanes as he was phasing out of his racing career and just loved it so much. He would talk forever on the phone to me about his airplanes and even built a shed in his backyard, complete with electricity to house them all in. The air strip where he flew is right at the base of the mountains and simply beautiful. My brother and step mom and I all drove out there two days after the accident to just spend some quiet time alone there. It's so pretty and that gave me some comfort too. I will never understand exactly what happened. I don't think anyone will. It was just a freak accident. But it has forever altered all of our lives.

BasinBum 09-11-2003 09:14 PM

The Internet made the world a lot smaller. Speaking of coincedence I went to Bradley lived on Franconia (Go Braves) and I also went to UofA (Bear Down) in Tuscon, nothing like a sunset up at Gates Pass..

rc_sport 09-11-2003 09:27 PM

Shari, I hope you can gain some comfort in knowing that your father left this world doing what he enjoyed so much. I lost my father to cancer and we just watched him being consumed by it till he died, I miss him so much.

JimRoss 09-11-2003 10:02 PM

Shari,
I understand your grief and heart break, I lost my father a few years back and I still miss him greatly. He was not into R/C but he did go out with me a few times and watch the planes fly. He enjoyed it a lot and I often wondered if he had gotten into it earlier if he would have been hooked like me. He used to race tethered cars with McCoy 60 glo engines in them, YEARS AGO.
Some people may think that this was an accident but I believe that God took a lot of time getting him to the right place, doing the thing he loved, at the right time so that He could bring your Dad home. Like it was previously said, your Dad now has the joy of flying everyday and never crashing. Don't mourn too much for him, rather rejoice in that he is with the BIG R/C guy. Best part is, his batteries never run down.
Love and friendship always,
James Ross

Shari 09-11-2003 10:34 PM

I can't believe you went to Bradley and then lived in Tucson. It IS a small world! And the internet has made it smaller! Thanks so much.
Shari Wallace

Shari 09-11-2003 10:37 PM

Dear James,
Your words have brought me great comfort. I've been in a "bad spot" lately with my grief. That is what got me surfing the net to try and learn a little more about what my dad loved so much and which led me here!I feel my dad so often and had my first dream about him a couple of weeks ago that I KNOW was him "visiting" me. Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Shari Wallace

trailingedge 09-11-2003 11:33 PM

Hi Shari,

I remember reading about your loss last year and I'm so terribly sorry. I understand your feelings about being visited in your dreams, as the same thing has happened to me. My grandfather (read best friend) passed about five years ago. I think I was hit the hardest as we were extremely close (we also worked together). I remember not being able to find his shop key even after searching all over for it. A few days later my uncle had a dream that grandpa was standing upright in front of him (he was not able to stand straight in the later years due to rheumatoid authritis). He said "You've forgotten already? I can't believe you've forgotten so soon. The key, the welder, the key, the welder." Well we had hidden an extra key behind his welding machine. I had a few dreams myself, and it was so nice to know that my grandpa was near and watching. I wish I could say something to take away your grief, but all I have to offer is this little story and the fact that you're in our prayers.

God bless

GrnBrt 09-12-2003 12:19 AM

It was my step Father that got me in the hobby with rubber band models when I was but a wee lad and we lost him 2 years ago but we had him for 48 years. He use to love to see the planes that I build now and was amazed at how far the hobby had advanced as he never did get into R/C. He bought me my first U/C, a firebaby and I learned on that back in '54 at age 10. Yes he will come and visit you from time to time to check up on how you're doing as his spirit will never leave you, nor will the love he had for you. I still feel Dads presence at times when I'm in the shop and can still here him telling me to do it right and do it good or don't do it at all. There will always be that bond that death cannot sever, never!!!!